What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hows often to water plants?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your plants won't stretch with water. Dry areas make for shorter plants.

Give it a day or even two since you said some plants have damp soil.

As for sending your plants into flowering your the boss. Launch where your ready.

I personally would wait until they are at least 10" - 12" with Indica type plants though.

Grassimo,,,,,, the above quote,,,,,s2

Grassimo

Grassimo,,,,,, the above quote,,,,,s2

Yea I'm gonna wait a day or two till it drys and stretch a little more before switch for sure. :D

Not sure what he meant by it won't stretch with water or dry though, how Do plants normally stretch?

Slipnot

Hey guys when I switch to flowering, I have 1000w HPS how high above should i keep that from plants? 3ft?

Use the hand technique light distance to plant tops if your hands are comfortable so will be the plants .
Usually in flower i tend to lower my lights during stretch phase this helps to stop the plant from stretching to the light

corky1968

Veteran
Hey guys when I switch to flowering, I have 1000w HPS how high above should i keep that from plants? 3ft?

When exposing plants to a high intensity light for the 1st time. I find it is best to hang the light 4 or 5 feet above
the plants for the 1st day. The following day bring the light down a few inches at a time so that in 4 to 5 days
the light is where it belongs. Slower is better than frying your plants with overexposure.

Dankwolf

When exposing plants to a high intensity light for the 1st time. I find it is best to hang the light 4 or 5 feet above
the plants for the 1st day. The following day bring the light down a few inches at a time so that in 4 to 5 days
the light is where it belongs. Slower is better than frying your plants with overexposure.

What he said.

MTNMEN

I used google to convert haha :p

View Image

Thats them from today. :D

I gave them like 6 cups of water maybe on monday?

Not sure the size of container though :(

And the lights are approx 2 feet away

Thanks for help btw :)

My advice if it's a bit cold .......bring em off the ground.............if ya gotta attach some 4 inch ducting to your heat source and draw some 4 inch ducting into the tent so some warm air gets in there, hey its redneck but it works!

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Make one plant your university. Don't water it and wait for it to wilt. That is your wilting point. Ideally you would water slightly before this point. Note the weight of this pot versus the others. Ideally if you had a scale you would be making calculations...

Soils and hybrid media mixes often have way too much magnesium and folks are adding more... Mg holds a lot more water than most other elements by several times.

Grassimo

Make one plant your university. Don't water it and wait for it to wilt. That is your wilting point. Ideally you would water slightly before this point. Note the weight of this pot versus the others. Ideally if you had a scale you would be making calculations...

Soils and hybrid media mixes often have way too much magnesium and folks are adding more... Mg holds a lot more water than most other elements by several times.

Yea man I've been doing this and waiting a lot more than before to water they seem very happy haha.

Just wanted to update and see what you guys think, thanks :)

2ihxirt.jpg

4th day of flowering.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yea man I've been doing this and waiting a lot more than before to water they seem very happy haha.

Just wanted to update and see what you guys think, thanks :)

4th day of flowering.

Glad things are working out. That was the easy one.... on to lesson #2. haha..

Peace.

Grassimo

Glad things are working out. That was the easy one.... on to lesson #2. haha..

Peace.

Haha I should be good for the rest of the grow unless some stupid temperature accident happens cause it's winter now lol.

Other than that I'm just a bit iffy with curing and drying process, I lose the smell of the goodness sometimes curing too early and it smells like wet grass lol :/

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haha I should be good for the rest of the grow unless some stupid temperature accident happens cause it's winter now lol.

Other than that I'm just a bit iffy with curing and drying process, I lose the smell of the goodness sometimes curing too early and it smells like wet grass lol :/

Get a good magnifying jewelers loop from amazon.com that goes to 30 and 60x. More is better. They are like $10 or so.

Watch the trichomes. clear is immature, cloudy is the objective- milky looking, and then depending on how much couch lock you want, 10 to 40% ambar within the milky ones.

The hay smell and lack of the smell you want is normally because you are drying at too high a temperature and drying to fast. Ideally it would be 68 F and you would watch your cigar box RH/temp measuring equipment (amazon-$15). You need to set your dehumidifier to 75% to begin with. After several days, aim for it going off at 65%. Try to bag/jar up at 65% and then air it out everday or other... depending on temps. Drying too fast at too high a temp is the issue.

There are some good threads on here about the perfect drying method. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3112013&postcount=1 with a pic of the temp/humidity meter! ... buy a couple at a time to monitor your stuff in jars... just bought a couple more... amazon

Grassimo

Get a good magnifying jewelers loop from amazon.com that goes to 30 and 60x. More is better. They are like $10 or so.

Watch the trichomes. clear is immature, cloudy is the objective- milky looking, and then depending on how much couch lock you want, 10 to 40% ambar within the milky ones.

The hay smell and lack of the smell you want is normally because you are drying at too high a temperature and drying to fast. Ideally it would be 68 F and you would watch your cigar box RH/temp measuring equipment (amazon-$15). You need to set your dehumidifier to 75% to begin with. After several days, aim for it going off at 65%. Try to bag/jar up at 65% and then air it out everday or other... depending on temps. Drying too fast at too high a temp is the issue.

There are some good threads on here about the perfect drying method. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3112013&postcount=1 with a pic of the temp/humidity meter! ... buy a couple at a time to monitor your stuff in jars... just bought a couple more... amazon

Wow nice thanks for info :) my room mustve been too hot then haha
Ill invest in those and a dehumidifier ,thanks man!

Grassimo

Hey guys just another update! They're all looking good except two in the back were a bit droopy this morning. Those ones were watered three days ago and I watered them a bit this morning. They are the sativa said too and aren't getting much stretch as the kushes :S don't know if this is bad? Let me know what you think thanks :)

Edit: I'm think maybe the tenperature is better for the kushes at night 19.5 Celsius? And it was colder for the sativa a maybe? They were fine yesterday night :(

2aahxl5.jpg

Day 10 flowering.

Grassimo