What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hows often to water plants?

Dankwolf

Nobody else think the light being 2ft away is a bit far?

Yes light could slowly be moved closer but plants are young it was good to keep light further away at first . maybe lower light 1 inch a day till it is about 12 to 16 away depending on reflector/watteged used .

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
i lift every pot every day. have forever.
so lift a pot when watered notice how heavy it is.
then when you lift a pot and it is light is time to water it.
is a good way, some pots/ plants use less or more water.
hope this helps
Lrus007

^^^^For the win.

Don't make the mistake of watering all of your babies at the same time every time. As Lrus007 mentions, treat them as the individuals they are. Go by container weight.

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been watering like Lrus007 states, individual plants, lifting the container and going by weight for the past 17 yrs.

You can also notice when the large fans start to sag, they need water.

Did you just up can um, when first up need there not going to use all that water where there's no roots, once the cn is full of roots they will use more water.

When I water I soak um good till there's plenty of run off, want all the roots to get wet. Don't half water.

You can check your root ball and see if the roots around the outside of the ball are nice and white, if they have a brown yellow color then your not watering enough when you do.

Newly up canned pots will remain heavy as the dirt is saturated at the bottom, and can be dry in the root zone. Poke your finger in the soil and ensure your roots zone is damp.

As stated, don't get crazy and water all the time, give the plants a chance to dry out.

Dankwolf

Been watering like Lrus007 states, individual plants, lifting the container and going by weight for the past 17 yrs.

Did you just up can um, when first up need there not going to use all that water where there's no roots, once the cn is full of roots they will use more water.

When I water I soak um good till there's plenty of run off, want all the roots to get wet. Don't half water.

You can check your root ball and see if the roots around the outside of the ball are nice and white, if they have a brown yellow color then your not watering enough when you do.

Newly up canned pots will remain heavy as the dirt is saturated at the bottom, and can be dry in the root zone. Poke your finger in the soil and ensure your roots zone is damp.

As stated, don't get crazy and water all the time, give the plants a chance to dry out.

Nicely put .

Grassimo

I water my earth completely before i put plants in there with half nutrient of week 1 veg so all the earth should be moist. (hopefully haha)

I guess ill start lifting and testing from when they seem dry then when theyre watered. But when they get huge how would I lift them lol? :p

And also i usually give 4 cups (full measuring cup) just that this time I had extra water so i gave 2 cups extra, wont make that mistake again.

The only thing, they look amazing O.O seems bigger than yesterday already, earth is still wet though lol.

105ay6q.jpg

And thanks again for all the help guys :)

corky1968

Veteran
One way to judge that there's enough water is to notice how nice and flat your leaves are horizontal right now.

If you overwater or underwater they'll tend to droop.

Everything looks very good. Keep it up. :tiphat:

Grassimo

One way to judge that there's enough water is to notice how nice and flat your leaves are horizontal right now.

If you overwater or underwater they'll tend to droop.

Everything looks very good. Keep it up. :tiphat:

Thanks man :D

I cant wait to start flowering lol, hopefully i can start next week and post some bud shots soon :D

G

ganjygav

Your soil will dry out faster if your light was lower. I use a 400w hps for veg and I have it 15 inches from tops of plants with no issue. When plants first go under that light I have it at 18 inches.

I wouldn't worry too much though ya plants look happy enough so you're obviously winning. I used to worry about all kinds of crap and then I would mess up even more by trying to fix problems that weren't really there. I think it's a side effect of reading too much online. Your plants are gonna act different to everybody else's. As long as they're green and healthy don't worry and carry on.

G

ganjygav

Yes light could slowly be moved closer but plants are young it was good to keep light further away at first . maybe lower light 1 inch a day till it is about 12 to 16 away depending on reflector/watteged used .

Yeah definitely lower it slowly

Grassimo

Well I spoke too soon, One plant looks like its done for.

Western winds way in the back kinda stopped growing i noticed and i looked at the stem it didnt grow at the bottom part. I touched it and it just fell over :(

13z96k9.jpg

9tmrz9.jpg

I tried putting earth more to cover it and stand it up but its hard to keep it up, im guessing its done for? :(

G

ganjygav

I spoke too soon ya that looks like rot. Throw it out. Hold off the water for a few days. The close up of the soil looks to me like it's soaked hard and I'm sure there's some green algae on the surface of the soil.

Grassimo

I spoke too soon ya that looks like rot. Throw it out. Hold off the water for a few days. The close up of the soil looks to me like it's soaked hard and I'm sure there's some green algae on the surface of the soil.

The yellowishness could be the rockwool it started in?

But yea i figured it rotted :'(

All the others are nice and firm

G

ganjygav

picture.php
You see to me there is a green tint to the top of the soil. The start of some kind of fungus. Too wet for too long is the cause.

G

ganjygav

No not at all its a bit of algae. Let it dry. Drop the light a inch a day to warm the pots up more. What watt is your light? They will be fine. I had the algae before its just a sign of too much moisture.

Grassimo

No not at all its a bit of algae. Let it dry. Drop the light a inch a day to warm the pots up more. What watt is your light? They will be fine. I had the algae before its just a sign of too much moisture.

Its 400 or 600w MH i think, and ok ill drop it a little bit then. I almost got a heart attack thinking they were all done for.

Ill let em dry for a while then, thanks man :)

G

ganjygav

At 17 inches you will be fine if it was for sure a 400 I would have it at 15 inches but as you are not sure it's best to be safe. I would personally get something like a chopstick or a knitting needle and poke some holes in the first few inches of soil to get some air in there as it looks very compressed on the surface.

Dankwolf

Well I spoke too soon, One plant looks like its done for.

Western winds way in the back kinda stopped growing i noticed and i looked at the stem it didnt grow at the bottom part. I touched it and it just fell over :(

View Image
View Image

I tried putting earth more to cover it and stand it up but its hard to keep it up, im guessing its done for? :(
Clone it not all is lost lol

Grassimo

At 17 inches you will be fine if it was for sure a 400 I would have it at 15 inches but as you are not sure it's best to be safe. I would personally get something like a chopstick or a knitting needle and poke some holes in the first few inches of soil to get some air in there as it looks very compressed on the surface.

The rest are nice and sturdy, moved them all around a little and dont seem to budge from its main spot. They should be ok?

The other one just fell once i tapped it :/

I used the end of a small table spoon, wasnt that wide, to poke holes. I also kept the plant that i cut the pot on the side to see when the earth drys too.

Latest posts

Latest posts