What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hows often to water plants?

Dankwolf

Most growers have a hard time throwing any plant out even sickly ones lol so not a bad thing that you were able to just chuck it .

Grassimo

Most growers have a hard time throwing any plant out even sickly ones lol so not a bad thing that you were able to just chuck it .

Ive had worse happen many times haha. One time my dad turned the heating off at night and they all froze when I was back at my old place lol. Losing 1 aint the end of the world, anymore i would been mad tho lol:mad:

I hope the rest will be ok though >.<

therevverend

Veteran
The problem is dampening off, do you have root gnats? They will add to the problem if you have them. I wouldn't assume everything is fine but not much you can do. Dampening is caused by plant roots and stem being wet all the time. Piling dirt up around the stem will make it worse. It's a fungus in the soil that eats through the stem. If you fix the over watering the problem should go away.
Fixing over watering isn't too hard. Next time before you water lift the container. If it's heavy don't water. If it's light do water. I can never tell by checking the dirt, sometimes it looks wet but is dry or vice versa. Lifting is the only way to be 100% sure. Another quick check is to remove a leaf. If it snaps off easily the plant cells are full of water. If it's tough and stringy it's probably dry.
I probably water less then 3/4 of the people here. But when I water I like to get it soaked. Mist with a spray bottle between waterings. I like a wet dry cycle, although I don't like waiting until the plants actually wilt. You will also prevent root rot if you let the dirt dry most of the way. The plant roots can't breathe when they're over saturated with water. Almost like you're strangling your plants, no oxygen. Number one mistake beginners make, and that everyone else sometimes makes.
You're soil looks a little rich and heavy to me, it adds to dampening problems and dries more slowly. I'd add more perlite or whatever you use to thin your soil. I like a loose soil, if you ball it into a fist it crumbles easily instead of holding it's structure. Probably too late for these containers but when you transplant and remix you can fix it. I like to water frequently with a loose but fertile soil. Wet dry wet dry. Also flushes excess fertilizer if it starts to build up from feedings.
Cloning is something you want to learn. When you find plants you want to keep. It's super easy. Lots of places to learn how online or buy a grow book.

Dankwolf

Stop tripping .over watering is common . just learn from it and perlite would be a good idea next time the soil looks like its lacking a bit .

This is what mine looks like . i run lots of aggregate for air .

G

ganjygav

Nope. It's a 600w light, right?

He don't know if it's a 600 or a 400 and anyway 2ft imo is too far from the plants even for a 600. I keep my light no further than 18 inches from tops of plants and I grow little bushes rather than tall sticks with a few nodes.

soserthc1

Wow my head is spinning and it's not even my thread

Asking questions on the Internet is always worse than just observing or surfing for answers. Your plants are just overwatered dude , it's the number 1 mistake of growers

Let them dry out and water when needed only, when you think they need water wait another day. Use a stick and a zip tie to support the falling one and it will be fine

I didn't see green tint on soil but just mix it up or scoop it off

Your plants are fine chill

G

ganjygav

Wow my head is spinning and it's not even my thread

Asking questions on the Internet is always worse than just observing or surfing for answers. Your plants are just overwatered dude , it's the number 1 mistake of growers

Let them dry out and water when needed only, when you think they need water wait another day. Use a stick and a zip tie to support the falling one and it will be fine

I didn't see green tint on soil but just mix it up or scoop it off

Your plants are fine chill

Lol why is your head spinning? You have just gave exactly the same answer as everybody else.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Yeah, I lift my rw cubes to determine feed cycle.
Of interest perhaps. My family was not allowing our dishwashing sponge to dry out in between washing. Result was bacteria ridden sponge. I have been successful in teaching them that if you squeeze the sponge real good after washing it will dry out between washing and ta da! Clean,fresh sponge for each cycle. Not only do plant roots love oxygen, but bad bacteria hate it!
Feed your feet!
:biggrin:

Grassimo

Well they all still seem fine. Its hard to tell when theyre dry though, the two biggest ones seem kinda light but the earth is damp. The plant is the middle is heavier than most of them. :S

I was going to water this morning but decided to wait a bit. Heres a pic of them :)

30jhi6q.jpg

r767ut.jpg

Should I wait tuntil tomorrow or tonight to water the lighter ones. Last watering was monday.

Also Im kinda of impatient and dont want stretchy plants.(Its all kushes and sativas which usually stretch for me). They are all 8inch or above, can I switch to flower soon since theyve grown alot this week?

Thanks guys :)

Yes wait they look wet still. Don't water until there are very light weight when u pick them up. If you start picking them up you will know when they need water. Also I saw it mentioned in previous post but important so it's worth mentioning again. Perlite will help you out a lot next Time mix in a few gallons of perlite into your soil mix before planting.. soil looks very rich

Betterhaff

Veteran
You’re plants look very healthy. They will let you know if they desperately need water, they will droop or wilt a bit. Best not to let them go that far but over watering is probably one of the biggest mistakes people make. I’ve had plants droop and even had the tops bend over but bounced right back after some water.

One time I got stuck on a trip and was delayed getting home for days. Only had a few plants going at the time but when I got home I thought they were toast, all shriveled up and such. They all bounced back after giving them a good drench.

Grassimo

Cool guys thanks I'll wait some more than :D

What do you guys think about flowering soon though? They been veging for 3week and 2 of them 4 weeks :p

Grassimo

Also air flow is great got a big fan on low setting at the other end of the tent blowing above and between the lights.

Not sure about the mix my local hydro store made the mix himself :S

corky1968

Veteran
Your plants won't stretch without water. Dry areas make for shorter plants.

Give it a day or even two since you said some plants have damp soil.

As for sending your plants into flowering your the boss. Launch where your ready.

I personally would wait until they are at least 10" - 12" with Indica type plants though.

Edit: Damn typos. I meant "without" water in bold above. LOLZ

Dankwolf

Your plants won't stretch with water. Dry areas make for shorter plants.

As for sending your plants into flowering your the boss. Launch where your ready.

I personally would wait until they are at least 10" - 12" with Indica type plants though.

What he said lol

Grassimo

Your plants won't stretch with water. Dry areas make for shorter plants.

They're all hybrids mostly or sativa, no real short indicas really, or that won't stretch from my kush experiences lol. Cool then I'll wait till these dry and start flowering in a day or two :)
They should get that extra inch or two by then lol :D

Latest posts

Latest posts