What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial How to Make Full Melt Dry Sift!!! photo essay

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Who is your post directed at tropic? You're basically repeating exactly what I just said. DSW shot himself in the foot, bubbleman acknowledges the technique is better than any he has used previously, there are no victims here and the technique is public knowledge so it isn't immoral to share it.

It can be argued bubbleman was downright shameless, at best, in how quickly he seized upon the opportunity to sell screens for dry sifting now that he had a technique that, in his own words, "The ease of producing a product that would otherwise be unnattainable suddenly becomes possible for any random dude."

That wasn't possible until DSW shared his technique. Bubbleman was selling sift boxes, that's it, and his techique took well over 30 minutes just to produce the first pile which still needed to be further refined. DSW's tek can produce AAA grade dry sift in under a minute.

DSW should have protected his idea more closely, which is funny because everyone on here gave him a ration of shit for NOT sharing the technique at first.

"Free the weed man!" suddenly turns into "you're an idiot and a stupid businessman!" It's a lose/lose situation. And how convenient for the peanut gallery... :biglaugh:

Now I know the last bit of your post is directed at me because I'm the one that said DSW's kit is an over-priced rip-off. Which is true, despite your incorrect statement to the contrary. I did a price check at his website. Two screens, no scope is $195. Here's a screen shot...
hzTIJ8U.jpg

Here's Pocono's price for the same two screens
tDmCNwS.jpg

Same two screens from Pocono is a whopping total of $48.45.

So you can spend $195 or you can spend $48.45... for the same damn thing.

For the record, bubbleman is no better. He charges $200 for (4) 26x12 screens which probably cost him $60 bucks, if that. His purchasing power is much greater than DSW's which explains why he is, on average, more competitive with his pricing. He's still making a tidy profit off being a re-seller, not a bad gig.

To be clear, I am not against anyone making money. I am against overpaying for things for no good reason other than cult of personality or brand name.

BTW - for my fellow European hash makers... a quick google search netted me five suppliers in Europe (predominantly in the UK) who sell the same screens at similar prices to Pocono. Just FYI.

T

tropicannayeah

That wasn't possible until DSW shared his technique. Bubbleman was selling sift boxes, that's it, and his techique took well over 30 minutes just to produce the first pile which still needed to be further refined. DSW's tek can produce AAA grade dry sift in under a minute.

there it is again, that 10 seconds versus one hour bs, but in this case it's 60 seconds vs 30 minutes! lol

There's lots of way to dry sift...some methods are fast, some slow, some produce high purity and some methods produce maximum yield...some aim to prevent the contaminant becoming mixed up with the resin while others try to remove the contaminant from the resin afterwards...and there's dozens of other different methods . Some techniques aim for purity (with low yields) while other methods remove almost all the resin from the material (but with higher % contaminant)...so it's a big silly to compare techniques that are completely different.One method that works for sugar trim won't work as well as other methods for maximum yields and vica-versa

And while the 60/90 method is excellent, there are other techniques that are faster and just as good..one is gently working small amounts of the material over a 125 lpi Mesh screen for 10 seconds at a time then the resin can be cleaned up with static carding over a 200+ Mesh screen. Comparing a re-sifting method that cleans up contaminated dry sift with a method that is used for very gently removing some of the resin on trim is silly anyway you look at it.

Last edited:
T

tropicannayeah

For the record, bubbleman is no better. He charges $200 for (4) 26x12 screens which probably cost him $60 bucks,

I think BM's screens you are talking about here are aluminum not wood, please correct me if I'm wrong here...and I guess metal screen frames would cost more than wood?

and you can see that the kits that DSW sells have been modified and he supplies instructions with the kit doesn't he?

every item is expensive compared to factory direct, more so in this green industry where those selling these items have the risk of jail hanging over their heads, with countrywide legalization we will see product pricing come way down on all smoking and growing related items.

..and while price is important, so is customer service to many people and smaller operations like DSW and BM will bend over backwards to assist their customers in every way with prompt answers to questions, replacements if necessary and fast shipping etc

and yeah, you can simply buy screen printing frames, but these are not ideal for a couple of reasons, one is the sides of the frame are designed to contain ink, while dry sifting screens need to have a much higher side walls to prevent spillage and the second point is that the meshes on screen printing frames touch the surface they are laid on (so ink can pass through the open areas of the mesh and print on the tee-shirt), so unless they are elevated the resin cannot pass through...check out Bubbleman's set of four dry sifting wooden screen frames on aqualabtechnologies.com (they used to have this kit in stock??), these are the only set of screens on the market that are specially produced for dry sifting..the others are screen printing screens masquerading as dry sifting screens....on BM's set of four dry sifting screen sifting kit the bottom mesh is elevated above the surface so the resin and or contaminant can pass through, the four screen frames interlock into each other so there's no slippage, the top screen frame has higher sides to prevent plant matter from spilling over the sides, the sizes are laser engraved in Micron and lpi Mesh sizes for quick ID and the mesh sizes are great for sifting....though I would suggest adding another screen frame to this set, an 80 lpi Mesh screen frame and that would complete this kit, I'd also suggest offering a larger sized kit.

Last edited:
T

tropicannayeah

Silly me. How could I miss that? I must have been doing something more exciting, like watching paint dry.

You got a link to any of these videos that supposedly mention DSW several times? I'd like to see if this actually happened or if you're exaggerating the point to defend bubbleman because you seem to have a hair up your ass about DSW.

Here's the link to the Bubbleman video about several methods of dry sifting, when you are able to tear yourself away from watching the paint is dry feel free to check it out...then tell me you didn't enjoy it

There's lots of videos, some are about dry sifting, some about Cannabis Cups, Bubblebag sessions, travelling around BC, Jamaica, Holland etc, visiting grows, clubs, talking to top breeders,. glass and more glass etc etc but all the videos are about primarily about resin, hashish and everything in between. I don't know about Rasputin, but if anyone else views hashish with interest then do yourself a favor and check out Bubbleman's World on Youtube and it might just end up being another arrow in your quiver [/I..you can check out dry sift wizard on you tube too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5S-uF8VLQ

Last edited:
T

tropicannayeah

bubbleman acknowledges the technique is better than any he has used previously,

I'm not doubting he said that, but in what context was it said?....Bubbleman is one of the few on this planet who knows the Skunkman Sam's dry sifting technique that turns roughly and quickly sifted resin full of contaminant into 99% pure resin (well, about 10% of the resin on the material). We've all seen this quality in pics.....so maybe he mentioned that DSW's method is better for gently working sugar trim to attain "the pure" as it doesn't seem to be great for turning contaminated dry sift into pure resin while Sam's method does...it all boils down to using the right techniques that suit you and the more we learn, the better we will be, I bet we can all agree with that.

All these techniques are not even close to being the Holy Grail of dry sifted cannabis resin extraction which would be a technique that separates ALL the resin on the plant material into 99% pure resin....and so far, to my knowledge, that hasn't been done without either dissolving the plant material in chemicals (yuk) or rinsing away lots of the terpenes with ice and water with Bubblebags. (the high is higher, but dry sift from the same material has a fuller, more complex high) or with dry sifting techniques that only isolate some of the resin or are only good for some applications.

Last edited:

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
This discussion is going nowhere so I'm gonna tap out after this post. I would ask you to go back a page and see how this conversation started and then look at where you tried to take it with your last 4 posts. Side tracks, tangents and moving the goal posts... no, thanks.

Watch the video you linked to; at 2:00 into the video bubbleman spends less than 10 seconds sifting 7 grams of material to produce a rather nice sized pile of 90%+ heads. No further sifting or refining necessary. In fact, he says he probably sifted for too long.

He also says, in regards to your comment about the tek not being able to refine contaminated sift, at approximately 4:14 in the video that it can be used to do exactly that.

So according to the video you posted in support of your claims you are wrong on both accounts. Nice job.

You are providing people who read this thread with misinformation regarding the screens, re: depth and screens touching each other. Do you even own a set of screens? Have you tried DSW's technique?

I've said all that I can regarding pricing. It's up to each individual to decide how they wish to spend their money. If someone wants to spend approximately 300% more for the same thing, be my guest. I provided the info, what people do with it is out of my hands.

Before I forget; the static tek is great, you can beat the shit out of your starting material and clean it up brilliantly with his tek. It is the best I have seen yet. Time2shine is a fucking hashish legend in my book and doesn't get anywhere near the amount of credit he deserves. All this fussing and fighting about DSW and bubbleman when those two are both outclassed by a guy with a piece of parchment paper and a DVD case.

As for context, dude I could have bubbleman sit on your head and repeat the same quote I provided from his article and you would still probably try to argue.

Adios, amigo.

CannaBrix

Rasputin-

Before you go, can I have some clarification?

What is DSW's technique? I cannot find it, and "do not have access" to his thread.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Yes, unfortunately it seems ICMag staff scrubbed the thread from existence. For what reason, I don't actually know but left to speculate none of the reasons I can come up with are particularly flattering for this site. I'll leave it at that.

You can check out some of bubbleman's videos as he has spent pretty much the entire past year doing nothing but dry sifting using DSW's technique. DSW also has a youtube video documenting his technique which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBxG8EidjZ8

If you would like CannaBrix, I can upload the zip file I have of the saved thread and post it to a neutral third party hosting site and share the link with you via PM. I might even be able to upload and attach it here. It will explain everything in detail along with photos much better than time allows for me to do now.

Basically, though, it goes like this: two screens, (1) 86 LPI or approximately 210 microns and (1) 61 LPI or approximately 150 micron.

61 on top, 86 underneath. Material goes on top of the 61, break it up and work it over the screen. Time can vary so start low, 10-15 seconds first and periodically check out the pile accumulating below both screens, this is your "A grade" that should be 90%+ heads, and the pile on top of the 86 screen which should be mostly contaminant but still a good number of heads.

This will help you gauge whether to work the material more. You can use the static tek posted by time2shine (found here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287730) to clean this up or use a 125 LPI screen.

If the A grade pile looks clean and and the 86 doesn't look very contaminated, work your material further. You might want to clear the initial A grade pile out of the way, just in case, and examine the '2nd' A grade pile before you combine it with the first. You can eithe re-sift or use the static tek to clean it up further if needed.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Merry Christmas

Dry Sift Techniques

In addition to the "Case of the Monday's?" thread I also included a video of time2shine's static tek, which was edited down to approximately 2 minutes from the original video time2shine posted by ICMag member mofeta.

Much respect to DSW, time2shine and mofeta.

T

tropicannayeah

(Sorry for the off-topic non full melt post)

I made some dry sift today, it's been ages since I have and it was fun.

Dehumidifier, cool temps, aged bud trim from a variety of outdoor plants, 3 screens (100, 120 and 140 lpi Mesh).

I wanted good quality and max yields, that was my aim ...so I used a very gentle action, worked a few handfuls of the material for 30 seconds at a time and I also ran the material 3 times (until it was virtually depleted of resin heads). The material on the top screen (100 Mesh) was moved around by my fingers, but I used a card to toss and scrape the sift over the bottom two screen frames.

Under a microscope it was mostly resin heads, but with lots of contaminant too, the high was great, just like the tropical/Dutch hybrid bud it came from, but with a deeper, longer, stronger version of the high.

A lot of people talk about how long it takes to card/resift your sift into a higher purity but I disagree, if aged material, low humidity and right techniques are used then you will see a big improvement in quality after just a minute or two of carding over a 200 Mesh screen. I sort of flick the material across the mesh so it is very thinly spread then I card this quickly back and forth but not overly firmly. This time I did that to the first run to see how pure I could get it after a minute for two of carding (golden sands!) then I just pressed all the stuff that stayed above the 200 Mesh (best quality) with the sift that passed through the 200 Mesh (OK quality) together in one lump cos I'm going away for a few days and wanted to have some puff that will be easy to carry and have some to share. I usually don't press my sift and usually make two grades.

Happy Holidays and Happy hashing everyone,

Last edited:

RB56

Veteran
My recollection is that DSW was trying to get himself listed here as a vendor. Somehow his application was blocked until an existing vendor was able to catch up and offer a competing product using the same technique. Looked a lot like unfair, anti-competitive collusion. DSW didn't handle anything terribly well, but he did have reason to be unhappy.

T

tropicannayeah

Somehow his application was blocked until an existing vendor was able to catch up and offer a competing product using the same technique

who would of that been? Bubbleman? He doesn't advertise here, Are you talking about Icmag spoinsor Aqualabtechnologies.com? They sell both suppliers products, Bubbleman sells (Bubblebags, "Tumble Now", Bubblebox etc) and I saw a banner for Dry Sift Wizard (but no items for sale, so they outta stock or coming soon I guess)...but they do not sell Bubbleman's large size set of 4 (or is that 3?) aluminum screen frames, these are available from his own site...... so, how do those facts fit into your (and DSW's) conspiracy theory?

I guess the mods here know the story about DSW's application to advertise, I don't, maybe one could let us know to stop the conspiracy theories.Maybe there wasn't any secret deal to destroy's DSW little business, he did a pretty good job of that himself, maybe he just burnt too many bridges and stepped on too many people here? Sometimes there's not a specific reason that fits into your conspiracy theory, just maybe the powers here thought he was a toxic dick who pissed every one off and decided to wait awhile before approving his application here?....he imploded, got banned several times and now doesn't grace our forum. Maybe the guy who approves advertising here is in jail and the approval process is longer than expected? I don't know.

Last edited:
T

tropicannayeah

Stick a fork in me, i am done here. Ester has left this thread...

Apparently not! lol

anyway,what have you been dry sifting lately EE?, what equipment and techniques did you use?, strains used? what's the high like? etc

CannaBrix

Thank you all who contributed to the giving of this information. It seems like there is not a huge difference in technique (just screen size and handling). I thought there were certain pieces of equipment needed or something. Seems like it is all just a bunch of trying different things out. Maybe some of the hash makers here shouldn't be trying to exploit there 'secret' techniques as an end all be all. But should share their tips as just that, tips.

Latest posts

Latest posts