What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial How to Make Full Melt Dry Sift!!! photo essay

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
It's one of the top threads in this forum right now, CB. Just scroll down below the stickied threads, you'll see it.

mack 10

Veteran
picture.php

Dry sift wizard style baby!

The Gooch

View Image
Dry sift wizard style baby!

Nice stack! I'm picking up the aluminum 61 and 86 screens from pocono this week. What do you trim on to?
I would like to use glass but at 24x20 x 2 that's a lot of glass.
Anything that is inexpensive flexible and cleans up smooth to the touch?
Also out of these 2 screens which would be the best to trim over? Thanks for any help.

Nice stack! I'm picking up the aluminum 61 and 86 screens from pocono this week. What do you trim on to?
I would like to use glass but at 24x20 x 2 that's a lot of glass.
Anything that is inexpensive flexible and cleans up smooth to the touch?
Also out of these 2 screens which would be the best to trim over? Thanks for any help.

Sheet of plexi glass

T

tropicannayeah

Cannabis resin, especially if not aged/dried sufficiently, will readily smear and adhere to any type of plastic sheeting, acrylic, plexi, etc and metals too when carded up. Glass is a better choice as it won't scratch as plexi/acrylic does, but if breakage, sourcing or price is a concern then use a sheet of plexi glass or a sheet of quality drawing paper as it comes in big sizes..I like using paper as you can simply hold the paper in half, flick the sides and pour the dry sifted resin into a glass jar or whatever.

The Gooch

Thanks guys. I was thinking about some kind of shiny drawing paper too.
Now as far as trimming my harvest, which screen out of those 2 screens I'm getting would be ideal to trim over? The 61 or 86?

EsterEssence

Veteran
Cannabis resin, especially if not aged/dried sufficiently, will readily smear and adhere to any type of plastic sheeting, acrylic, plexi, etc and metals too when carded up. Glass is a better choice as it won't scratch as plexi/acrylic does, but if breakage, sourcing or price is a concern then use a sheet of plexi glass or a sheet of quality drawing paper as it comes in big sizes..I like using paper as you can simply hold the paper in half, flick the sides and pour the dry sifted resin into a glass jar or whatever.

Please give the conditions you are working in, temp, humidity. Your findings are much different than mine. The resin even uncured resin is very hard and workable at the correct temp less than 40* and under 40% rh

Also is there any difference between using an aluminum frame over the wood besides the wood warping over time?

I have used both, i have found no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tropicannayeah

Ester........the dry sift I made this time around is the best I've made in ages. We had a good year, weather wise, enough rain so I didn't have to water that often, there were only a few smallish tropical storms so the plants didn't get bashed around. This was the best year in 25 years of guerrilla growing and only lost a few when a path was widened by the local government.

I usually make hash out of untrimmed bud, but this year the sift was made with only resin encrusted leaves that had been dried and stored for at least several months. I used a dehumidifier to dry out the leaves (as it's almost always humid around rarely getting below 60%RH and mostly 80+%RH) and on a mid 50's F day I used a very gentle action through several flat screens. The second and third runs of the material were pre-frozen and worked for a short duration in a 50%RH room (this is as low as my de-huei goes). Freezing the material does work to prevent smearing, but only for a very limited time, it seems like about 30 seconds or a minute.

Under magnification I didn't notice any ruptured or smeared trics, but on previous times with no dehumidifier and using plant material that was about only about one month old. ,,the only difference between this run and previous runs was the age of the material. The thing to note is that around here and most other tropical areas, due to constantly high humidity levels, bud usually never dries enough so it can be broken up with your fingers and so heat or a dehumidifier is required and if the bud dries slow then so does the resin...If you and I grew the same strain and harvested on the same day my bud might still be pliable two months later...you might be able to tumble buds a month after harvest, but that wouldn't be possible here and that's why dry sifted hash isn't made in commercial quantities in equatorial zones.

One thing is for sure I will always either use trim & or bud that is at least several months old, preferably 3+ months (harvest, remove fans, hang two weeks, de-branch, trim, one month in cardboard boxes then into bottles that are opened every day).

but don't feel too sorry for me about the less than ideal sifting conditions I live under as I can grow all year round in the bush and harvest plants every month from late September 'til early May and there's always the dehumidifier!

Happy Hashing

Last edited:

Sunfire

Veteran
I actually don't care to do all this work for the product, although I'm sure it's great. I didn't read the entire thread and there like 20 other threads on icmag about it. Maybe people have picked up enough tricks to make larger quantities quicker? I personally I'm going to start playing with rosin.

I was investigating making custom filters, of different kinds and purposes, for cls. I found this company and after looking into dry sift, which I didn't previously know was different from kief (seems like it's "artistic level" kief) I thought you guys might enjoy using their ss mesh as well to make larger, much larger screens.

I'm envisioning a 22 cubic foot freezer at -20F. Screens so big they hardly fit in it, on a frame with the screen suspended by springs. Small hole in side of the freezer with a key hole saw or a reciprocating blade saw, gently shaking the strays back and forth, after you had ground down the material.

Anyone talk about such things yet? I'm total dry sift noob!

mack 10

Veteran
Man your killing us karma.
A5 sift, I thought I'd never see it.

A5 is almost impossible to get.