What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial How to Make Full Melt Dry Sift!!! photo essay

mack 10

Veteran
Well to be fair he was rippin' it way back when too. Karma's a veteren

Last edited:

panick503

Damn that's a lot of dry sift dank news right there... Karma, if u don't mind me asking, did u make that in the way described in the beginning of the thread? How long did it take u? I've never had premium dry sift before, i think I'm gonna give this a go...

mack 10

Veteran
Panick, you gotta try it.
It's like a bho hit in power,
But super smooth to hit.
Truelly superior quality.

I bet,
Either DSW tech or static tech on a 70 micron ( after first aquireing your sift, ie tumbled/ or just broken up over 140-160 micron screen while deseeding or trimming etc.

Last edited:

Francy420

Thanks for sharing the tech Bubbleman. Long timemmember but rarely post over here. Trying to become more active at iC-mag Here are a few macros of some Training Day sift I made. Best ever strain for sift that I have ever dealt with. It just rains heads and cleans so easy.

Attachments

• S20150716_0001.jpg
    S20150716_0001.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 97
  • S20150716_0002.jpg
    S20150716_0002.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 96
  • S20150716_0003.jpg
    S20150716_0003.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 103

gookie crunch

Thanks for sharing the tech Bubbleman. Long timemmember but rarely post over here. Trying to become more active at iC-mag Here are a few macros of some Training Day sift I made. Best ever strain for sift that I have ever dealt with. It just rains heads and cleans so easy.[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=326456&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=326455&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=326454&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=326453&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

How do you like training day? How's the quality? I just turned it for the first time... So we'll see how it goes.. but what'd you think? I'd post a pic of my atf butI'm on a smart phone lol.

Francy420

I love it all around. Out of 10 seeds popped it was a very stable strain. All produced nearly the same smoke in the end. Though a few had just huge buds compared to the others but still had all their good qualities. The phenol I kept is loud and needs a day or 2 for the terps to settle after extraction. The flavor right after sift is almost too intense for me. It chills in a day or 2. I personally never liked it in flower form though. Just wasn;t as tasty. But makes my best hashes.

So with rosin being a huge part of the solventless world right now. a lot of people are skipping out on the dry sift and sticking with water hash and squishing the lower grade bags

For the people that are still doing dry sift what techniques are you using?

I can't help but picture that most people are gathering a farmers grade sift through whatever means and then doing either the two screen dry sift wizard tech, or the static tech, to purify the heads.

I've always just used the 250u, 110u and 73u. I used the 250 to make farmers grade that falls on the 110, through a bit of carding and/or vibration i get my pile on the 73u screen that i then parchment paper static tech and collect. Seems to be the easiest. I think parchment over the 110 screen just in case and get a lower grade sift than what was collected on the 73u

I will be harvesting some c99 ladies in the coming days and after a nice long dry i would love to turn them into some dry sift.

would love to hear some others techniques and results

99%

So with rosin being a huge part of the solventless world right now. a lot of people are skipping out on the dry sift and sticking with water hash and squishing the lower grade bags

For the people that are still doing dry sift what techniques are you using?

I can't help but picture that most people are gathering a farmers grade sift through whatever means and then doing either the two screen dry sift wizard tech, or the static tech, to purify the heads.

I've always just used the 250u, 110u and 73u. I used the 250 to make farmers grade that falls on the 110, through a bit of carding and/or vibration i get my pile on the 73u screen that i then parchment paper static tech and collect. Seems to be the easiest. I think parchment over the 110 screen just in case and get a lower grade sift than what was collected on the 73u

I will be harvesting some c99 ladies in the coming days and after a nice long dry i would love to turn them into some dry sift.

would love to hear some others techniques and results

Keep posting more, I can tell you have the passion for dry sift and invite me over when you have that C99 sift done!

Lots of people are now into squishing sift into rosin, but just recently on Hash Church (you tube Bubbleman's World) they mentioned the trend back to appreciating the unaltered essence that very clean/pure dry has instead of hair straightening it.

What do you do with the sift that passes through the 73 micron mesh?

and by the way, the next level to take your 99%, full melt, dry sifted resin to is a "narrow range separation"...the resin heads you end up with range from 110 ~ 73 micron, for example try isolating the heads that are in between 80 and 100 micron or 73 and 85 micron?. Let us know what you think.

A few years ago, when there were a few threads here about Sam's secret 99% dry sift method ...Bubbleman, who knows the secret method too, showed lots excellent macro photos and threads about how it was made (that is still a secret!..and this was before the two screen method and the static method had not been first written about on ICmag). There were lots of guesses and Sam said none were close, narrow range isolation was mentioned but Sam didn't address that specifically. I don't know how he goes from a rough "farmers" sift to 99% purity, but the macro photos of his sift show resin heads that seem to be within a narrow diameter size range (within 10~20 micron?). I guess that Sam uses a 3 step process...takes 70+% pure resin that he gets with stage 2 of his method (stage one is the rough farmer sift) and uses another technique, stage 3, to isolate that resin within a narrow range of head diameter sizes with 99% purity ...either that or a "bi-product" of the technique he uses is that only a narrow range of resin head sizes are isolated? Cuban Grower (a regular on Hash Church and a winner of several competitions with his dry sift) mentioned sifting within a narrow range in the same sentence as Sam's method recently. i must watch that part again

Happy Sifting

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

I was reading this thread last night when I realized that all the times I made really good dry sift it started with hand separating the flower rather than grinding it (or worse). Takes forever, but so does all that sifting and resifting I guess. Plus you get some finger hash if you stuff is dank enough. Anyone mentioned gentle hand separation in this thread yet?

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ollie...Yah tried the (pop-up tent)cannaflex today,used the double screen version dry.Works fine,bit bendy and floppy so u have to adjust method. But the finished product is decent. I haven't tried them wet as its not my thng,but I'm Sure they tumble fine too. Got them as tester from a mates shop,but I thnk they are a good portable solution,reasonably well made and I will deffo keep them for hashing cheap bud when travelling.I wouldnt swap my big silk screens for them ever,but they work fine but slowly and are reasonably priced I s'pose compared to other retail solutions and the portability is a big plus for canna-tourists and seedhunters. Will see how they cope after a few bashes... I dont have a camera today but will use them again next week and borrow a cam to take some pics.
I stll think a bunch of people clubbing together to get an Endecott sifter or similar(8 of us shared the cost and it easily outperforms 8 manual sifters) is really the way to go in the long run,especially if you wanna make a lot. When hand sifting for a few grams I tend to go gentle and will lose yield for quality if I have to....But with the automatic(sonic,vibra,air) sifters there is not much compromise to be made at all. I believe that auto-sifters combined with some "static tech" is gonna be very promising... just not sure quite how just yet? Luck and Lite JBo

Ollie

Veteran
That was my concern for working the sift (carding technique) with the cannaflex screens, not being firm enough for "proper" work.

It seems more geared towards de seeding and as You point it as a good portable option.

A trip to the RIF ehe ..

99%

It seems more geared towards de seeding and as You point it as a good portable option.

re Cannflex - a de-seeding screen is best done with a mesh size that has holes that are slightly smaller than the seed diameter, so the ideal mesh could be a window insect screen or a mesh with even larger openings so the plant matter passes through the mesh and the seeds stay above. A 150 micron mesh is far from ideal for de-seeding

I just saw the cannaflex videos on youtube and it's not something I would use or recommend. It's floppy and has no sides (so plant matter will spill over the edges). Does the mesh sit on something or does the mesh flop down on touch the table? If so, that's another minus for this product, there has to be a gap between the bottom of the mesh and the surface that the resin collects on when dry sifting.

dierwolf

so theres such a thing called vibratory tables, for working materials like gravel... im thinking maybe one could be rigged with nested screens, and the top can have a hinged and clasp equipped lid, thus entirely automating the sifting process.

dierwolf

also ive always personally liked 90 micron and done it feels like it leaves enough of the terps and flavonoids and whatever other lil trace bits are there to be a very well bodied/rounded high. im very interested in visiting colorado and seeing if any dispensaries sell shake for cheap...