What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How high up your list of priorities is money?

SemperAltus

ya the onl reason is high on my list is most people, is bills but other than that i dont need much cash but... tyheres too much dope glass

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
Money is definitely up there. I dont think I am greedy like alot of folks, but I wont turn down a profit either.

ehh wish i could say same as you guys but money is pretty much number 1 on my list right now:fsu:i just got laid off and im knda in a rut...but other then that money aint that important to me:joint: just need enough to get by and ill be kickin

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
I save. I save a lot. I rent cheap yet comfortible apartments, dont have a TV or cable, smoke a lot of grass and dont buy shit. Like, at all.

Is money important? Yes, insofar as it is security. But it is not central to my life. I do what I want and SAVE for the future in case of a massive economic down turn leaves me jobless (a-hem).

I have never had debt. Not even student loans.

madrecinco

Veteran
Happiness is the ultimate currency

Happiness is the ultimate currency

Anyone saying money doesnt buy happiness is delusional,period.
It's a nice saying but lets face it,when you have money,your bills are paid,your eating good,and you and yours have the things you want and need,that my friends IS happiness and thats the facts.......there aint a happy broke dick out there.
Being a working dog my entire life,its either feast or famine,when there is work things are good and everyones happy because of money.When there is no work,there is no money and plenty of stress and unhappiness.That being said,how high on my list is money.......VERY,BUT......living like I do I know what its like to not have money also,so the dry times are a little easier on us poor folk than it is on silver spooners.
Money makes the world go round,fact of life,and there are very few broke people out there gonna honestly say they are happy,honestly,we can just handle being broke easier than those that have....and we all know there are only two kindsa people out there.........those that have and those that want.:joint:

NO ROJO I am certainly not delusional....but very ENLIGHTENED INDEED!!!

Well it has been proven that once a person has the basic essentials ...that further enrichment does not cause happiness...
Now the very poor who don't even have food and shelter is a different matter.
But who in America can't get food stamps????
But it has been proven that WEALTH don't always bring happiness.

Happiness is the ultimate currency!
A human being.... Money is subordinate to happiness and may be desirable because has no intrinsic value...
money may bring positive emotions or meaning...

wealth is worthless...

Happiness is the ultimate currency in which humans are paid...
Happiness is the currency that matters...
Happiness should be the determinant of our actions...
the goal toward which all goals lead...

Money beyond bare minimum necessaryfor food and shelter.....is NOTHING more than a means to an end...

Yet OFTEN we confuse means with ends and sacifice happiness[end]for money[means]

It is easy to do this when when material wealth is elevated to the position of the ultimate end, as it so often is in our society...
It is not money per se that is valuble but the fact that it could yield more positive experiences...

Material wealth in of itself does not necessarily generate meaning or lead to EMOTIONAL WEALTH!

Studies have shown that the relationship between wealth and happiness is very different from what most of us would expect...

In extensive cross-cultural and longitudal studies of happiness, Dr David Myers found a very low correlation between material wealth and happiness, except in cases of EXTREME POVERTY....where peoples basic needs were not being met...
MOREOVER, although for the last 50 years the population in many countries has become WEALTHIER...but no increase in levels of happiness...
AND OFTEN a decrease in happiness happened...

Nobel Prize winner in economics Daniel Kahneman has, over the last few years turned his attention to happiness...
Research by him and his colleagues found little support for a connection between wealth and positive emotions....

The belief that high income is associated with good mood is widespread but illusory...
People with above average incomes are relatively satisfied with their lives but are rarely happier than others in moment-to-moment experience, tend to be more tense, do not spend more time in particularly enjoyable activities...
the effect of income on life satisfaction seems to be transient...
people exaggerate the contribution of income to happiness because they focus, in part, on conventional achievements when evaluating their life and the life of others...

Surprisingly, some people feel more depressed once they have attained material prosperity than they did while striving for it...

The "rat racers" is sustained by the hope that his actions will yield some future benefit, which makes his negative emotions more bearable...However...once he reaches his destination and realizes that prosperity materially does not make him happy...and there is nothing to sustain him...Countless highly successful peeps are alcoholics.

depressed paradoxically "making it" actually makes them less happy...

They get there ...BUT ...but the "there" that they expected is nowhere to be found...

having been stripped of the illusion that most people live under--that material prosperity and status can provide lasting happiness---they are struck by the "what now?" syndrome...
Realizing that all our efforts and sacrifices have not earned them the ULTIMATE CURRENCY-----happiness! and they sink into learned helplessness....they experience nihilism and resign themselves to the fact that nothing could possibly make them happy...often turning to alternative means that are destructive in an attempt to escape their unhappy state...

So is material wealth does not bring happiness....why are we obsessed with it?

In making decisions and judjements, we also tend to focus on material rather than heed to the emotional because those things that are quantifiable lend themselves more easily to assessment and evaluation...We value measutable material wealth and prestige over the unmeasurable emotions and meaning...

We worship Material People///eg Paris freakin'Hilton!

As if net worth is an apt measure of how worthy a person is...

As Laurence G. Boldt says in Zen and the Art of Making a Living...."Society tells us the only thing that matters is matter.....the only things that count are the things that can be counted."

The monetary worth of a house is quantifiable....the feelings we attach to our home are not...

Does concern over wealth and prestige detract from your overall experience of happiness???

i used to be that way....bur have AWAKEN to the truth,,,

BTW who are we to argue with these scientists with Nobel Peace Prize....

use your noggin...

Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence...Aristotle

While we accumalate material wealth, we are nearing bankruptcy in the currenct that truly matters...Emotional Bankruptcy...

1/3 of teens in America are on antidepressants already...
An entire society can face that prospect...As anxiety and depression rises society heads for emotional bankruptsy...

This trend extends across ethnic and socioeconomic lines...
Each successive generation worldwide since the opening of the 20th century...has lived with a higher risk than their parents of suffering major depression...
not just sadness, but a paralyzing listlessness, dejection, and self-pity, and and overwhelminghopelessness--0ver the course of life...

overwhelminf hoplessness and ONLY YOU CAN HELP YOURSELF!

nihilism results from our sense that we are UNABLE to overcome this impoverished emotional state, on either the individual or global level...

The Age of Anxiety is evolving into an Age of Melancholy......

The existential vacuum is a widespread phenomenon...

of the Twentieth Century....

A state of inner emptiness and a void in self...

Emotional Bankruptcy causes drug "abuse" alcohol abuse and religious fanaticism...

happiness is not a luxury or something to be pursued once all our personal and societal ills are resolved...
Increasing the level of the "ultimate currency" improves the quality of individual lives and can make the world a better and safer place...

You have to figure ot what really makes you happy AND GO FOR IT!!!!

Only yourself can make yourself happy and as my new man says to me often..."Everybody has a right to be happy!"

Amen Brother Dave! LOL,,,

buttyrekka

"weed will get you through times of no money,better than money will get you through times of no weed"..Freewheelin Franklin Freak the 1st....

foo_bird

"weed will get you through times of no money,
better than money will get you through times of no weed"

been waiting for that quote thank you and very true

money is just a means of exchange it has no real value
of its own its only good for what you can get with it
which is everything lol
the love of money is the root of all evils

foo

"weed will get you through times of no money,
better than money will get you through times of no weed"
its so true
but if you want to make a family, its not enough

madrecinco

Veteran
Weed does make the world easier to take....too many freakin' idiots out there.

Happy that my career is basically over and the kids are grown so I can live my life MY WAY!

Free at last!

But as Janis once said in her song and it was her philosophy also....

"Freedom is just another word for nuthin' else to lose."

Marick23

The trick to money is simple. More coming in than you have going out. Any month that I get more than I give is a good month. Regardless if it's $1 dollar or 25 grand. Live beyond your means and you will end up poorer for it. Live below your means and your financial dreams will come true. Do an asset and liability schedule. If you have more assets than liabilities than you are good. If not trim those liabilities. liabilities often = luxuries. Cars boats timeshares.. all of these things take your money they are liabilities. Most of us would like nice things. If you see something you want don't put it on the card. Don't save money until you can afford it. You will never afford it. You want that new escalade it's gonna cost you x amount of money to run. Monthly strokes gas oil tune ups registration. You figure out what it's gonna cost you to run and "MAINTAIN!" Once you have the figure you go and look for an asset to pay for it. Stock, rental property, a side job, anything that makes you more money than it costs you. Once that asset is at the level it needs to be to cover your escalade expenses go get it. 9 times out of 10 while practicing this when the level of the asset reached that mark. I had already lost interest in said luxury.

My take on money sorry for the rant... Good bud.

madrecinco

Veteran
The trick to money is simple. More coming in than you have going out. Any month that I get more than I give is a good month. Regardless if it's $1 dollar or 25 grand. Live beyond your means and you will end up poorer for it. Live below your means and your financial dreams will come true. Do an asset and liability schedule. If you have more assets than liabilities than you are good. If not trim those liabilities. liabilities often = luxuries. Cars boats timeshares.. all of these things take your money they are liabilities. Most of us would like nice things. If you see something you want don't put it on the card. Don't save money until you can afford it. You will never afford it. You want that new escalade it's gonna cost you x amount of money to run. Monthly strokes gas oil tune ups registration. You figure out what it's gonna cost you to run and "MAINTAIN!" Once you have the figure you go and look for an asset to pay for it. Stock, rental property, a side job, anything that makes you more money than it costs you. Once that asset is at the level it needs to be to cover your escalade expenses go get it. 9 times out of 10 while practicing this when the level of the asset reached that mark. I had already lost interest in said luxury.

My take on money sorry for the rant... Good bud.

WOW true words of wisdom.....wish I knew that years ago when materialism was my goal.....I finally realized that THINGS DON'T MAKE YOU HAPPY.

But I was once an objects collector and now I am streamlining and simplifying my life.

My loved ones are my treasures these days. And above all others learn to love yourself and accept yourself. You have to love yourself in order to love others effectively. Was lucky to see BB King and Buddy Guy live recently and those old guys are so wise INDEED!
Buddy Guys new song on his new CD "Skin Deep" made me cry.....
The Golden Rule is the way to live.....unfortunately not enough people do this and that and not money is the problem these days.
DOG EAT DOG world for most....but some of us rise above that attitude. And we are the happiest people of all.
Happiness is as happiness does.

foo_bird

happiness runs in a circular motion
thought is a little boat upon the stream
everyone is a part of everything anyway
you can have everything if you let yourself be
D. Leach

love?

Very low but I'm sure that would change if I was, for example, responsible for the well being of children...

Mr. Freeman

just a fellow cannabis smoker, vaper, cooker and r
ICMag Donor
Money might not make you happy, but a thick stack of hundred dollar bills gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.....

Try 10 briefcases. lol.

Money is the root of all evil but it can be the root of all goodness too.

My mission, get off the grid and be self sustainable. But for this, you need MONEY! You really can't do shit without money. If you got a disease, YOU NEED MONEY TO GET BETTER! You can die without money. I hate money. Who made money? Money, money money.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
Try 10 briefcases. lol.

Money is the root of all evil but it can be the root of all goodness too.

My mission, get off the grid and be self sustainable. But for this, you need MONEY! You really can't do shit without money. If you got a disease, YOU NEED MONEY TO GET BETTER! You can die without money. I hate money. Who made money? Money, money money.

^ That's the way i feel about it.

It's what you do with it that counts. A pile of heroin is harmless until people start injecting it under their dicks.

If all cannabis users we're millionaires we'd have this thing sorted by now..

is it fair? NO! Does it work ? YES!

foo_bird

where I live pot is used for exchange
our homeless use signs that say
"will work for bud" lol
before I was disabled I was a mech.
everybody here lives on top or side of a mountain
most roads are dirt hell we don't even have a
red light in the county
it costs 150-200$ to get towed into town
made good money n bud fixing them where
they brake
now its good that I know people that will work for pot cause 800$ disability check doesn't go very far
go figure its easier for me to get pot then money
being a old Texas boy its only comm. mexican
working mans pot 20$ 1/4

foo

Last edited:

madrecinco

Veteran
where I live pot is used for exchange
our homeless use signs that say
"will work for bud" lol
before I was disabled I was a mech.
everybody here lives on top or side of a mountain
most roads are dirt hell we don't even have a
red light in the county
it costs 150-200$ to get towed into town
made good money n bud fixing them where
they brake
now its good that I know people that will work for pot cause 800$ disability check doesn't go very far
go figure its easier for me to get pot then money
being a old Texas boy its only comm. mexican
working mans pot 20$ 1/4

foo

Being a good ol' Texas girl I can appreciate that currency and my first toke was in 63 in Austin behind Threadgills bar .....which later became famous for the great JJ. God ol' Mexian weed was all in those days for me. Now I am in Florida and the weed is excellent in these parts and plentiful.

But those were the day when we were young and enlightened. Don't Mess With Texas! Yeeeeehawwwww oops.....sorry....you know us Texas ladies get carried away easily....LOL!

BTW...."redneck" in Texas is an endearing term.....here it is an insult here and they call southerners "Crackers"

They think us southerners are "slow"..........nuthin' slow about me!

Latest posts

Latest posts