What's new

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Making sift from seeded and unseeded crops of the same clones shows a stark difference to me. I can hardly smell the seeded.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know.... Maybe we should be smoking seeded weed, because the weed we used to get when we were kids (mid to late 70s) used to scare the shit out of us sometimes and the only thing that would distract us from the traumatic event was blacklight posters, music and tits.

Seeded bud does not affect potency. That's a myth. But I think ..maybe.. it allows other flavor profiles and effects to emerge from hiding. Or is it the mature trichomes? I do know that I never bought weed back then and found a white seed. ever.

I let my seed crops go super long and well past "peak" this year to maximize returns. It smokes great, so I'm letting the other 2 seed crops go until they freeze or necrotize. I think I'll ring one and let it die standing.

If you let it "necrotize" the bud will be nearly worthless and harsh as funk. Freezing doesn't hurt though. Seeds should be finished maturing by then.

rolandomota

Veteran
Tolerance that's all it is really if you smoke all day every day then it's a lot harder for anything to get you high and with all the nice concentrates now a days well it's even more impossible to reach those peaks

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If you let it "necrotize" the bud will be nearly worthless and harsh as funk. Freezing doesn't hurt though. Seeds should be finished maturing by then.

Maybe necrotize was the wrong word. Letting it die in place is the thought I had. Didn't they do that for Columbian Gold?

As for tolerance, dont ask me if a smoke is good, Im a lightweight in the extreme and get off just looking at a nice bud.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I seem to recall something like that being reported for CG but I can't be sure.
Maybe you can get hold of that guy from Columbia and TLT and see if he recalls anything of that nature. At this point in time, I think he might be the best resource for that information.

:tiphat:

Smith111

New herb on average beats out the old herb, but the best from the past still deserves it's place along side the others at the top.

Hydro8

In the 90s lots of weed I got was just called “Kind Buds”. The average smoker didn't care about names or strains back then, it was "green" "covered in crystals". I knew a couple of people that grew and they would have the standard from the Amsterdam catalog or a trip to Amsterdam. I knew a growers on the west coast would have more of the Blueberry and Juicy Fruit. It was good stuff.

I smoke lots of good cannabis now days, better stuff then I did in the 90s. Good cannabis evolves from picking the best out of the best. When I smoke or vape in the evening I open a cupboard of 30-40 different strains. What keeps getting picked out of all of those is outstanding stuff.

I do find myself choosing many of the classic strains as my favorites, then I get tired of them and move on to new favorites. Who really wants to smoke Chem Dog or OG everyday forever ?

JetLife175

Veteran
Maybe necrotize was the wrong word. Letting it die in place is the thought I had. Didn't they do that for Columbian Gold?

As for tolerance, dont ask me if a smoke is good, Im a lightweight in the extreme and get off just looking at a nice bud.

Yeah it’s been said that they used to split the main stalk and let it cure that way. I still don’t understand the mechanical or reasoning behind it but sure as shit they do or used to do it.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Stem splitting is/was used to force the plants to finish faster. With death knocking on its doorstep, it speeds up maturity in hopes of ripening seeds. If that's true, it should also bring on Rhodelization.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stem splitting is/was used to force the plants to finish faster. With death knocking on its doorstep, it speeds up maturity in hopes of ripening seeds. If that's true, it should also bring on Rhodelization.

Not a good thing unless harvested previous to pollen flying.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My take on it is today's stuff is it's good. But it just doesn't have the memorable high of some of the ones we had "back in the day". And what I mean buy that is today's stuff nothing really stands out and it just doesn't last.

In the 90's and 2000's, I had sampled all the big names out there - Green Crack, White Widow, AK-47, SSH, Trainwreck, Early Pearl, all of the Dutch Skunks, Blueberrys, Strawberry Cough, Bubblegum, Northern Lights, etc. And all of them were really, really good. But the two that always stood head and shoulders above anything else I had was SSH and Trainwreck, specifically the Arcata cut. I have never been able to find another strain in today's world that left me so absolutely stuck on stupid like those 2 strains did.

I was a high functioning pothead back then. I am a high functioning pot head today. The only way I get as messed up as I did on those two today is with concentrates. A couple good dabs will make my head hot and eyes heavy, but in 30 minutes I'm looking for another hit. They're a one trick pony.

With the Trainwreck, 3 of us would smoke a regular sized joint at the beginning of a movie, and not one of us could move when the credits started rolling.

A good SSH would have me seeing trails for a solid 45 minutes, and happy as hell for a solid 4 hours.

Today, I can burn up an eighth in a day where one used to last me at least 3. Yeah, they taste good and look pretty. But the Trainwreck with it's dead flesh mentholy gasoline taste was amazeballs too. I also vividly recall one strain I got a couple of ounces of (that I don't remember the name of at all dammit) that tasted like you put a spoonful of grape jelly into your mouth when you smoked it. It was phenomenal. (High was so so)

ETA - I Just thought of one of today's strains that does really stand out. I've only had it once, but it left a good impression - Royal Kush. Someone mention GSC earlier in the thread. The couple examples I had were OK. Nothing really noteworthy. But the Royal Kush my guy had a couple weeks ago was really, really good.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
yeah 'maybe' old seeded bud added something to the high, n maybe,just maybe weed was better (or so we remember) because it was grown under that big hps in the sky... i'd luv to grow some clones outside n inside, same soil,time, etc etc n see which is stronger/more complex...

beta

Veteran
ETA - I Just thought of one of today's strains that does really stand out. I've only had it once, but it left a good impression - Royal Kush. Someone mention GSC earlier in the thread. The couple examples I had were OK. Nothing really noteworthy. But the Royal Kush my guy had a couple weeks ago was really, really good.

If you're a fan of Royal Kush check out Kevin Jodrey on Youtube, he's the breeder. He's been working it for outdoor cultivation for about a decade.

Also, FYI - ETA stands for 'estimated time of arrival' :biggrin:

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're a fan of Royal Kush check out Kevin Jodrey on Youtube, he's the breeder. He's been working it for outdoor cultivation for about a decade.

Also, FYI - ETA stands for 'estimated time of arrival' :biggrin:

I'm very familiar with Kevin.

And ETA in this context means Edited To Add.:tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Kush has been done to death. There's 10 different Kushes on the street here. Every one of them associated with a berry of some type.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Ras Truth(RIP), bred the Royal Kush. Kevin Jodrey vended his seed packs through Wonderland, first as Emerald Mountain, then again from Aficionado. Wonderland did pop packs, and sift phenotypes. Afaik, Ras had already taken it to at least a F8, as well as developed the line in many many directions. Surely Kevin has used it for breeding and cropping, but to be fair Ras deserves credit as the breeder.

Wonderland/Kevin is a great source to find some Royal Kush genetics. A huge portion of Aficionado's recent offerings are all different Royal Kush generations or hybrids.

Just walked up from the garden, inspecting some royal hybrids. The royal has a lot of great phenos in it. Afghan, purple erkle'ish, and diesel, can all pop up and shine, or some balance between them.

Mr^^

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Not a good thing unless harvested previous to pollen flying.

True. I had one plant split right down to the first node this year after a storm. I harvested it today. No bananas. Super stable strain. It was more mature than the others.

Original Glue
picture.php

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ras Truth(RIP), bred the Royal Kush. Kevin Jodrey vended his seed packs through Wonderland, first as Emerald Mountain, then again from Aficionado. Wonderland did pop packs, and sift phenotypes. Afaik, Ras had already taken it to at least a F8, as well as developed the line in many many directions. Surely Kevin has used it for breeding and cropping, but to be fair Ras deserves credit as the breeder.

Wonderland/Kevin is a great source to find some Royal Kush genetics. A huge portion of Aficionado's recent offerings are all different Royal Kush generations or hybrids.

Just walked up from the garden, inspecting some royal hybrids. The royal has a lot of great phenos in it. Afghan, purple erkle'ish, and diesel, can all pop up and shine, or some balance between them.

Mr^^
I was thinking about this this morning with my morning bowl. You are 100% correct, and was coming back in here this morning to make the correction.

I remember watching the meet the breeders episode on youtube (fantastic btw) with Ras Truth's brother. At least I think it was his brother. I was really high while watching it, lol.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kush has been done to death. There's 10 different Kushes on the street here. Every one of them associated with a berry of some type.

True. And I agree.

But Royal Kush grown well is a true stand out.

And Bohdi's got some really interesting offerings as well. I really need to pick up some of his 88g13/hp crosses.