What's new

How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
sweet seeds have black domina 98' s1's. they're some fat little affie plants

This is an awesome thread !

So I have been a smoker grower in Canada for roughly 25 years..Back in the early 90's we had 2 cuts that were unbelievable in in their effect... One we called Chemo ( no idea if its any relation to the Chemo everyone here talks about ) and the other we called Alberta hash...where we are the names of the cuts are mostly made up , back int he day growers were very protective of their cuts so names would often be changed to hide who shared what cuts with who...... The strain we called Chemo was short , small, dark plant, with short fat thick leathery leaves..the buds would grow like golf balls along the stem and the plant would form no formal cola..production was terrible...however the product was unbelievable and extremely potent... hard as rock dark colored nugs, gigantic sized Trichromes, and a heavy earthy coffee taste..I lost that cut long ago and to date have never again seen anything even remotely close.. The second cut that we originally called Alberta Hash we renamed AK47 based off the description in a magazine of AK47 LOL ! As I say the names were merely place fillers for us and had no real connection to the strains sold by the seedbanks..... So this cut we called AK47 I still have. I have no idea what it is, what its make up is..but I can tell you that to date I have not found anything quite like it..its stupidly potent and you can never seem to develop a tolerance to it..I have come across dozens of strains that hit hard the first time I smoke them, but after a short time I become tolerant and the strain loses its effectiveness .. Not this old AK, you can smoke this stuff year after year and it will hit you like a sledgehammer each and every time...Its not a work weed, nor is a weed for the lightweight...The smoke is heavy and expansive and can cause heavy coughing and sometimes sneezing....has a earthy, nutty taste... Its a racy peaky high that can cause severe anxiety for those not accustomed to potent weed....Anyways long story short is I have a late 1980's early 1990's cut that has a bigger wallop then any of these modern strains, its in a whole other dimension then what most people are smoking these days.. I do plan to breed it and see what it can produce... But I can say for sure its something really unique and a far departure from what we are seeing today....

beta

Veteran
The strain we called Chemo was short , small, dark plant, with short fat thick leathery leaves..the buds would grow like golf balls along the stem and the plant would form no formal cola..production was terrible...however the product was unbelievable and extremely potent... hard as rock dark colored nugs, gigantic sized Trichromes, and a heavy earthy coffee taste..I lost that cut long ago and to date have never again seen anything even remotely close..

Your Chemo sounds identical to Bubba Kush, for what it's worth...

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea, Sensi's Black Domina seems to be all over the place regarding pheno types. I grew a half a pack few years ago and every plant was different looking; short broad leaf, few different taller and slimmer plants and one proper freak.
..i got only one female, but i sure am glad it's the Ortega-pheno. One of my favourite smokes of all time and quite strong.

So i can't recommend Sensi's BD to folks who are tight with money cause there's apparently lot of garbage among those seeds. But if you have money to spend, then go find one of the Ortaga phenos, they sure are nice.

Sweet Seeds' S.A.D. is s1-seed line from the Spanish '98 Domina cut and if someone would like to try some Domina, then go for S.A.D.. Much cheaper than Sensi's version. Haven't grown any of these yet, but i have few seeds in the cold.
:)

insomniac_AU

This is the Delicious Seeds BD hybrid I was talking about after 56 days flower and 14 days flush.
Black Russian = Black Domina (NL x Afghani x HP x Ortega) x White Russian (White Widow x AK47).

picture.php
picture.php

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Nothing has changed much. The occasional surprise pops up, but it diversifies back to normal stock. The internet gives the world a better chance of hearing about it, and getting it out there before this happens. So we see names rise and fall like fireworks, when once something needed real legs on it to make a global appearance.

GM weed is the next real change. Let big Pharma settle into this industry, and it won't take long before we are smoking it. The idea of government developed weed making out of secret labs has sold some strains for decades. It's not going to be rejected when it arrives for real.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yea, Sensi's Black Domina seems to be all over the place regarding pheno types. I grew a half a pack few years ago and every plant was different looking; short broad leaf, few different taller and slimmer plants and one proper freak.
..i got only one female, but i sure am glad it's the Ortega-pheno. One of my favourite smokes of all time and quite strong.

So i can't recommend Sensi's BD to folks who are tight with money cause there's apparently lot of garbage among those seeds. But if you have money to spend, then go find one of the Ortaga phenos, they sure are nice.

Sweet Seeds' S.A.D. is s1-seed line from the Spanish '98 Domina cut and if someone would like to try some Domina, then go for S.A.D.. Much cheaper than Sensi's version. Haven't grown any of these yet, but i have few seeds in the cold.
:)

i did a pack of sensi bd at least 10 years ago and they were really poor, almost no taste or stone.

after i did 3 of the blackdom98 s1 seeds and they were what i was expecting.

had the same results with the g13 x hp lines, had a few from sensi, total bunk again and then ran a few from motarebel and found 2 ok plants and a killer one.

hayday

Veteran
Mary Jane is like my first girl friend. She diddn't know anything about fucking but I'll never forget her.
I have been married for 40 years now, two different women. Same but different:)

meizzwang

lol you lost me there

Simplified interpretation:
Hard to forget the weed of the 90's/early 2000's, but such memories weren't due to the fact that they are better than today's hyped out strains. These strains are remembered because smoking weed the first few times is memorable. Weed today is pretty much the same shit, but there are slight differences.

My opinion based on PNW weed consumed the 90's:
1) it's been 25 years since I smoked bammer weed (bricks of brown landrace weed from mexico) and sometimes it was strong/racy, but this was the exception to the rule. It ALWAYS tasted like shit because it was never properly dried and cured.
2) Quality in the 90's was inconsistent with PNW grown weed: you never knew what strain you were smoking, you were at the mercy of your dealer. Quality overall was okay to good, and maybe 10-20% of the time, you'd get exceptionally flavored weed that was potent.

Long story short, best hyped out strains weren't regularly available to the masses.

Quality of weed today in the PNW:
1) Bammer weed and even imported weed from other countries is seldom seen around here. Much of the commercial hyped out weed is mass produced and the quality suffers as a result. Only a few growers really push out top notch quality.
2) most high quality commercial weed today is similar to the "best" weed in the 90's in terms of potency, but flavor, aroma and to some extent bag appeal has become greatly improved from a genetic standpoint.
3) The general public (non-professional weed consumers) still rate weed mostly by potency (just like they did in the 90's), as this is how you judge how good of a bang for your buck you got. As a result, there hasn't yet been an enormous shift in terms of quality of high in the best weed strains out there. The most popular strains all seem like a slightly different version of the same thing.

Long story short, Hayday sums it up very well.

In my opinion, growers today have access to genetics that are much higher quality than you could ever acquire before, but these genetics are seldom grown out and sold commercially. The hyped out strains of today are strong, look great, smell great, and taste great, but very few of them also have a quality high to match their other improved characteristics. Some of the best quality highs I've had in recent times came from varieties that have very lackluster flavor.

clearheaded

G `day CH

Have a smoke , sit back and contemplate that statement .

Doesn`t matter how many seeds . They are all the same . No diversity ...

Ever heard of keepers ?

re dandylions . Never been cultivated as far as I know .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

sit back relax and instead of talking, listen and learn ;)

yup heard of keepers. many are infact found in F1 hybrids.

in true IBLs(which have little diversity no matter the number some may be a little better then others but no matter the numbers grown same ratio with little diversity) you are mixing things up in your mind about what genetic diversity is and what numbers are. different concepts. if a pug had 40 million babies that does not automatically make it more diverse then a labXwild wolf that that had 10 million. sit back and think about it. :tiphat:

TruffleButler

People are still growing the older stuff. Not everything Cannabis exists on the internet or the commercial market, there's a whole world of people that found something they liked and stuck with it, in cuttings or pollinating. Yes, some Americans still grow semilla! The last guy I got seeds from never used a computer until the last few years, its "Sativa", thats all he knows. Been growing it since 72, because it was a keeper, effect wise.

When you get older, youll either find what you like, grow it til you die and stop chasing something new, or you'll prove the point I'm about to make.

I've had the chance to put all the modern stuff up against herb that various people have been growing as their exclusive strain for decades. Some amazing flowers, including many that exist in highly praised journals on this very site, and some of the most absolute dankest, caked solid in resin bud that surpasses 99.999% of the best herb most people will ever see, absolute snot rocket lung cleansing shit that would probably yield over 40% on extract. Dank level 100 out of 10. Guess what? The older stuff has a better effect and a higher ceiling. From seeds picked out of imports that a couple old timers like, all the way to Chem era bagseed. Selected for effect, nothing else.

The scraggly Thai or "Smilies" won't impress you until it hits, and gram for gram it disappears 3 times as quick but damn if you couldn't smoke OG all day and question your previous ability to detect good weed after a bowl of that seeded mess.

Only one "modern" strain has been able to get me high on top of smoking OG all day, and that was Nebula from 96 lol. A 90s strain I tossed because it didn't have the funk all the new stuff did. We all fell victim to something along those lines, thinking diversity in the garden would save us. Thousands of seeds thrown out the window at a time.. I will always regard 95-2000 era as the best, because you got the insane funk and mind blowing structure that got you giddy before ever lighting up, but it still maintained a majority of the old school effect. The stuff thatd make your friend tackle you in the hallway laughing like a lunatic with their eyebrows brushing their Cheshire cheeks. The stuff that made you do donuts in your friends car, laughing like maniacs not realizing he was hanging on the back like Terminator 2. The stuff that made your friend ramble on about the most hysterical nonsense in the hotel room on a school FFA trip. Sorry guys but weed made moments memorable, not the other way around. Go find yourself an old timer growing some brown scraggly. He's still growing it for a reason.

Maybe today's shit is so strong you smoke yourself sober, or maybe the focus put on yields quick harvest and numerics has caused a degradation of the gene pool. I think since real OG is still around and on a level of its own to anyone with discernment, the answer is obvious. OG is a 90s strain.

lol

lol

Was having this conversation with a close friend and wanted some more opinions.

Is there anything out there that surpasses the Chems, OGs, Sours and other highly regarded cuttings of the 90s and early 2000s out these days? I’m quite aware most of the popular varieties are descendants of previously mentioned cuttings but have they really been improved upon? The only 3 significant game changing strains I can think of since that era is Cookies, StarDawg, and Glue. Maybe throw in Alien Tech as well. Any others? What’s your opinion?

Well considering that all todays hype strains all contain varying amounts of all of your aforementioned strains, one would think they would (stack) pretty well, no pun intended.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
sit back relax and instead of talking, listen and learn ;)

yup heard of keepers. many are infact found in F1 hybrids.

in true IBLs(which have little diversity no matter the number some may be a little better then others but no matter the numbers grown same ratio with little diversity) you are mixing things up in your mind about what genetic diversity is and what numbers are. different concepts. if a pug had 40 million babies that does not automatically make it more diverse then a labXwild wolf that that had 10 million. sit back and think about it. :tiphat:

G `day CH

Sit back relax and show me a dog that has 10 000 offspring per generation from different fathers .
A litter could be a dozen pups x 7 years = 84 pups . 1 female plant in a field can have how many pollen donors and produce how many seeds in 12 months ?

How many Lab x wild wolves are being reproduced each generation ...

And why ? lol .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Som 2

Maybe today's shit is so strong you smoke yourself sober, or maybe the focus put on yields quick harvest and numerics has caused a degradation of the gene pool. I think since real OG is still around and on a level of its own to anyone with discernment, the answer is obvious. OG is a 90s strain.
I think there is some alchemy in the entourage effect that science hasn't figured out yet. Before weed became a commodity in the late '60s, I would guess that most of the people who grew it also smoked it and chose the plants they grew because it made them feel the best. Since then it has been bred towards all sorts of other goals. First it was higher yields and being able to bring your crop in before the police showed up. Then it was making it grow well indoors, be compact and finish in ten weeks or less. At the same time the market decided that dense nugs were awesome so that was chosen for. Now breeders are breeding for aroma, flavor and novelty colors. All the weed has the same generic hybrid high so those are the marks of differentiation. Over that time I think we have lost some of the magic. I grow some modern strains because I like variety but to this day my number one strain comes from that one special male that came from Mexican bag seed that I sprouted back in 1992. It isn't quite the strongest, but it feels the best.

beta

Veteran
Go find yourself an old timer growing some brown scraggly. He's still growing it for a reason.

Or maybe... just maybe... You're seeing the past through rose colored glasses. The old timer growing brown scraggly is growing brown scraggly because he's using outdated genetics and methods from the 70s.

This supposed magical old timer herb is *always* talked about but nobody can ever produce any to smoke, and if they do it sucks really really bad. Weird, that...

meizzwang

Or maybe... just maybe... You're seeing the past through rose colored glasses. The old timer growing brown scraggly is growing brown scraggly because he's using outdated genetics and methods from the 70s.

This supposed magical old timer herb is *always* talked about but nobody can ever produce any to smoke, and if they do it sucks really really bad. Weird, that...

There's plenty of magical old timer herb around growing in people's gardens, very few produce it commercially because they can't make money on it (ie. due to low yields, long flowering time, difficulty to grow, etc).

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Here is a good example at least for me and everyone around me, our opinion.

The first pics are Gelato. Buddy got a cut and grew it out. 9.5 weeks in organic soil. Looks outstanding, smells excellent, and the flavor is good. Smoke a joint and you are pretty ripped for a half hour then it basically wears off. The effect is pretty mild and nothing special.

The second pics are Monkey Balls aka Deep Chunk aka Afgahni. From Hazeman. Grown in organic soil, 8 weeks barely, smells earthy kushy goodness! The flavor blows the doors off gelato. Way more complex and mouth coating. The effect comes on gentle with pieing up the eyes, deeeeeep relaxation, and then eat everything. Almost floating feeling. Amazing. Effect lasts about 3 hours of sublime relaxation and mind free to roam.

Sure the gelato looks better, carries a popular name, and has a good flavor but it's just lacking compared in every aspect to the to the MB besides possibly bag appeal.

Score one for the old school.

Gelato
picture.php
picture.php

Monkey Balls
picture.php
picture.php

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Gelato and everything related to it are pure Trash. ... No potency at all ....and anyone who claims Ice Cream Cake Coffee Mocha Mochi Chocolate Candy Sprinkles and Toffee have any type of potency to them are smoking too much of that shit ...

Instagram weed is all for looks and Zero kick in the Lungs.... Bubba/DC Blows it out the water