What's new

HONEY OIL !DENATURED STYLE

poolratt

Thanks for the info Verite,So you disagree with using ISO also?That would being going against many peoples beliefs.I can see disputing Kali's claims but ISO if very commanly used.Are we all wrong?I would like some more discussion on this issue from the people that use ISO.Thanks again.

G

That looks hella easy, I tried the ISO ala Ninja quickwash and i was good but had a residual taste when compared to my bubblehash, I'll have to try this.

Jinx

Last edited:
G

why anyone would want to smoke something made with methanol... beats the hell out of me...?

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Well i just found this thread,I would at my 02 but Chief you already took care of it :)

Ninja

Verite said:
Heres the info on azeotropic relationships in distillation/separation. And yes it does happen with most any alcohol, the point is that only grain [ethanol] is suitable for consumption. Iso, denatured, etc is all labled poisonous on the msds. The I feel fine arguement holds about as much weight as the old arguements for lining ceilings with asbestos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotropic_distillation

dont qoute facts that dont apply.

poisonous when consumed, yes, but ISO evaporates without leaving any residue..
Isopropyl Alcohol contains Alcohol and distilled water..
when doing a QWISO extraction, following the QWISOmethod, to purge, that last bit oif moisture that pools is nothing but water..
the ISO has long since evapped.

For the record, grain Alcohol contains sugars which end up in the final product and thus isnt preferred for extractions that are to be smoked.

Denatured Alcohol leaves a petroleum basd residue when evapped.
this also ends up in your final product.

ISO or Butane for oil production is My recommendation.

G

but.....that does not satisfactorily explain why I can taste iso in any qwiso, no matter how well it was purged

20kw dreams

mmmmk, I'm gonna butt in here now.

IMHO, Methyl alchohol by itself would be totally safe to use. In fact, it's boiling point is 64.6, as opposed to ethyl alcohols 78.5. While Methyl is toxic to a certain extent, it's Inhalation toxicity is not any worse then Ethyl. You must also realize that the lungs are a great filter in themselves, and assuming any Methyl did make it through your purged oil and to your lungs, I have no doubt it would quickly evaporate upon exhale, and your liver would never be the wiser.

The other ingredient would be the Methyl isobutyl ketone. Again, this shit has a flash point of 16C (60F?), so I very much doubt you would get any residues of this shit either.

BUT! IT seems you all forget one very important aspect of any of these chemicals. They all have a source. Lets take for axample a "denatured alchohol" of 49%Ethyl/49%Methyl-Alc/2%Methyl-Iso. Each of these components would have to be 100% lab grade for any of them not to leave a residue. If the Ethyl was 99% made from sesame, then you could still have .5% sesame oil in your "denatured". If your Methyl was 96%made from Juniper, then you would have 2% Juniper shit, and your Denatured might taste like Gin. I don't even know, or do I care, where Methyl-Iso some from, but seeing as somebody said it is Petrol based, I believe them, and wouldn't use it, because it is pointless, and in that level robably acts as a filler more then anything. I didn't look into it's sovent properties. This stuff probably would work better by itself then Hexon though, or whatever that shit is called, which has a higher boiling point.

Anyways, so was looking for a straight ethyl/methyl blend for everybody to use, and came upon this shit...ope, lost the link. Anyways, it's called Methylated Ethanol, and is 95% Ethyl(grain/sugar alchohol) and 5% Methyl alchohol(wood alchohol, from breaking down lignon, a complex sugar). This is probably the flat out best shit you could get get other then 100% pure ethyl, which is WAY more expensive due to government taxes.

Summary: Impurities(such as oily residues) are not a result of the solvent, but the imputrities in the chemical comonents of the solvent, which will not be listed. Find the source of the impurities before you decide what may or may not be safe, in your judgement.

Ninja

20kw dreams said:
Summary: Impurities(such as oily residues) are not a result of the solvent, but the imputrities in the chemical comonents of the solvent, which will not be listed. Find the source of the impurities before you decide what may or may not be safe, in your judgement.

check the MSDS on any solvent before using.
US federal law requires everything in the container to be listed.
then you must simply research the chemicals listed in your solvent..

ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL contains.. alcohol and distilled water..that's it.

c-ray said:
but.....that does not satisfactorily explain why I can taste iso in any qwiso, no matter how well it was purged

A.) you didnt follow my method..
if you did, ....
b.)you cannot " Taste" ISO...
you are tasting the oils stripped by the alcohol, and just THINK you are tasting ISO..
if you followed My method.. the ISO was LONG Gone before the plate was ever dry.

facts are facts man...you can argue with science all you like ;)

BTW.. what does ISO taste like?
I never had the nutz to take a swig off the bottle.

J

JH151399-OG

poolratt said:
Verite,What I have heard here is that everclear is a poor solvent becuase it picks up too many nasties in the wash(ie.chlorophil,waxes etc.)I havnt used it so Im not Knocking it.What I have not read here is the AZEOTROPIC relationship.Whats that and do all solvent extractions make this bond?

A good watercure of your trim will take care of the chlorophyl (that's what watercures do, leach out the chloro). As for the waxes, yes, they'll be there. No different than the waxes you find in bubblehash, though. Where do you think the clear dome from FMCD hash comes from? It's wax!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heh i tried to warn way early in thread and just got flamed . I would say the jury is in :)

G

Ninja said:
A.) you didnt follow my method..
if you did, ....
b.)you cannot " Taste" ISO...
you are tasting the oils stripped by the alcohol, and just THINK you are tasting ISO..
if you followed My method.. the ISO was LONG Gone before the plate was ever dry.

I'm going to see if I can get a lab test to back up my claim, I'm pretty sure I taste iso, or something that tastes like when I open a bottle of iso

Last edited:

Ninja

c-ray said:
I'm going to see if I can get a lab test to back up my claim, I'm pretty sure I taste iso, or something that tastes like when I open a bottle of iso

if it has a chance to evaporate under low heat..... there is no ISO left...
none left on the windows cleaned every day with ISO.. none on the surgical instruments cleaned hourly with ISO... none on the camera lenses cleaned every day with ISO.......and none in yer ISO hashoil.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Heres the reason you taste iso in the mix*, once iso mixes with something it cant be removed entirely** and thats why you taste it in the mix regardless of the purge method. The only way you can tell the diff is when you use an equally good solvent that does not contain any iso [ Like 195 proof Everclear ]

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotropic_distillation

** even the distilled vapor is a mix of both iso and water

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
lmao

lmao

I can't resist anymore this is too funny. This thread has to be the best ad for water extraction.

petroleum based and chemical solvents.....lol

Last edited:
G

thanks dude i made a batch yesterday lik eu showed here......the burnin gof the solvent sucked but damn this is so e strong ass shit ....

Ninja

Verite said:
Heres the reason you taste iso in the mix*, once iso mixes with something it cant be removed entirely** and thats why you taste it in the mix regardless of the purge method. The only way you can tell the diff is when you use an equally good solvent that does not contain any iso [ Like 195 proof Everclear ]

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotropic_distillation

** even the distilled vapor is a mix of both iso and water

nice try but no cigar......... that link is to a wikipeidia article on ETHANOL ( GRAIN ALCOHOL).. which contains Benzene.

find one on ISO, then come back...

you have to READ what you reference carefully...;)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
c-ray said:

i agree. i have tasted expertly made budder, and it has a weird undertone flavor, never present in butane.

also, i know many people who made iso oil for decades(experts?) and they agree, that butane oil tastes like the weed completely, while the iso oil never tastes as good. they have switched to butane.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Ninja said:
if it has a chance to evaporate under low heat..... there is no ISO left...
none left on the windows cleaned every day with ISO.. none on the surgical instruments cleaned hourly with ISO... none on the camera lenses cleaned every day with ISO.......and none in yer ISO hashoil.

IT always leaves a smear on my lens.