What's new

Any bowyers?

Timj

I finally finished my first ever self bow. I added a arrow rest using heartwood from the walnut tree. I also put one coat of boiled linseed oil on the bow and added a leather arrow rest. I had to make a tripod stand for the straw target I got today so here it is. I haven't shot a bow for over thirty years. I'm not sure if it's my poor technique or something with my bow design. But, all my shots are pulling left. I'm shooting from 10 yards.
20240523_165911.jpg
20240523_172239.jpg

acespicoli

I finally finished my first ever self bow. I added a arrow rest using heartwood from the walnut tree. I also put one coat of boiled linseed oil on the bow and added a leather arrow rest. I had to make a tripod stand for the straw target I got today so here it is. I haven't shot a bow for over thirty years. I'm not sure if it's my poor technique or something with my bow design. But, all my shots are pulling left. I'm shooting from 10 yards. View attachment 19007505 View attachment 19007506
since the arrow literally has to wrap around the stave to clear the "rest" its probably nothing wrong
Watch a slow motion video on youtube of the funky bending and twisting arrow does when it leaves the string
That will make a picture of whats going on there much clearer than I can explain

At longer distances it should have time for the arrow to stabilize

Try holding the bow horizontal to the ground and shooting in this way would just give a little elevation ?
Or a 45 degree angle may feel more natural when instinctive shooting
in the picture on the below link observe the cant to the hand holding the bow last pic

Nice looking bow, :huggg:

Last edited:

hfm

I finally finished my first ever self bow. I added a arrow rest using heartwood from the walnut tree. I also put one coat of boiled linseed oil on the bow and added a leather arrow rest. I had to make a tripod stand for the straw target I got today so here it is. I haven't shot a bow for over thirty years. I'm not sure if it's my poor technique or something with my bow design. But, all my shots are pulling left. I'm shooting from 10 yards. View attachment 19007505 View attachment 19007506
Great looking bow! :)
Looks like nocking right,over spined some.Might order an arrow test kit to see what shoots good.I have those same arrows ;)
Great job!

Timj

since the arrow literally has to wrap around the stave to clear the "rest" its probably nothing wrong
Watch a slow motion video on youtube of the funky bending and twisting arrow does when it leaves the string
That will make a picture of whats going on there much clearer than I can explain

At longer distances it should have time for the arrow to stabilize

Try holding the bow horizontal to the ground and shooting in this way would just give a little elevation ?
Or a 45 degree angle may feel more natural when instinctive shooting
in the picture on the below link observe the cant to the hand holding the bow last pic

Nice looking bow, :huggg:

Interesting post. I believe I figured out my issue. I shoot right handed. But, I am left eye dominant. I'm not sure how to compensate for that. Any ideas?

Timj

Great looking bow! :)
Looks like nocking right,over spined some.Might order an arrow test kit to see what shoots good.I have those same arrows ;)
Great job!
Thanks hfm. My neighbor is going to bring down some 700 spline arrows for me to try tomorrow. I think they'll be too soft of a spine. He seems to think they'll work better. Now my girlfriend wants me to make her a bow. I still have the bow I tillered to 35#'s I may shorten it. Then tiller it to 25#'s and finish it for her. I'll post whatever I make her. I'm also going to harvest a nice ash tree I picked out in the late winter. That will be the next bow I'll make for myself.

Timj

Thanks guys. I do agree with it knocking right after I researched it and now better understand the video that @acespicoli posted above. I don't want to cut the shelf in further so I'll try the 700 spline arrows. I'll even consider slowing the arrow down with a heavier tip weight as I'm only using it for target practice.

acespicoli

Interesting post. I believe I figured out my issue. I shoot right handed. But, I am left eye dominant. I'm not sure how to compensate for that. Any ideas?
Found both eyes open when aiming helpful, point and shoot. 30-40 yards it will feel extremely natural after a few shots.

Timj

Found both eyes open when aiming helpful, point and shoot. 30-40 yards it will feel extremely natural after a few shots.
Thanks, that is how I'm shooting now. Maybe just out of practice and to stiff of an arrow spine. I'll know when my neighbor brings the 700 spine arrows over.

Timj

The 700 spline arrows were the ticket to hitting the bulls eye. So you folks were correct with your theory of knock right. Thank's guys. I'll post of picture of the 20# draw weight bow I'm making for my girlfriend in a few days. I just dyed it for her.

hfm

@Timj Sounds like everything is working out well :) Thats rad! Please continue showing any work you want,I love seeing self made gear ;)

@armedoldhippy I got an osage stave traded for the other day.We have a bunch of mulberry here that should make something worth while.Have you ever used mulberry?

Timj

My first and second self bows. My girlfriend wanted hers dyed. Her bow is 23#'s draw weight at 24". It's about 3 inches shorter than mine. I still need to finish her arrow shelf and then wax the bow.
20240525_203252.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Have you ever used mulberry?
no, but i've seen some pretty bows made from it in the "Primitive Archer" magazine. apparently, as one of Maurice Thompsons companions said "any stick can make a bow..." i suspect knowing what to do to that "stick" is probably critical. ;) i'm eat up with theory but sadly short on practical applications...:shucks:

Timj

no, but i've seen some pretty bows made from it in the "Primitive Archer" magazine. apparently, as one of Maurice Thompsons companions said "any stick can make a bow..." i suspect knowing what to do to that "stick" is probably critical. ;) i'm eat up with theory but sadly short on practical applications...:shucks:
I have to remove a large section of a split trunk Mulberry tree in a few weeks. It's about 12-14" in diameter at the base. So, I'll cut some staves out and share a photo here. Pictured is a slab from a smaller limb I cut from a Mulberry tree that was blown over about 3 years ago. Mulberry to the left of the Walnut stave.
20240525_232219.jpg

Last edited:

hfm

My first and second self bows. My girlfriend wanted hers dyed. Her bow is 23#'s draw weight at 24". It's about 3 inches shorter than mine. I still need to finish her arrow shelf and then wax the bow. View attachment 19008380
Those look great!Awesome work!
Ah well we'll all learn together then ;)

1000018969.jpg

Heres another oak one got roughed out the other day.Blowing less of them up :)

Timj

I took down a small Ash tree today. I have a few small knots in one blank. Both were roughed out on the bandsaw. I cut in arrow shelfs on both sides of each blank so I can choose which side will be the top after tillering. I also put different amounts of reflex in the blanks so they will dry in that shape before I start my final shaping and tillering.
ashbows.jpg
20240526_174825.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts