What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Honduras x Panama

BuckeyeGreen

View attachment 18813023

Damning with faint praise huh. Here we go again boys.
Yeah damning with faint praise. Mexican brick weed is awful and it has always been used to describe shitty weed. So now Mexican brick weed is considered quality stuff huh? I guess all of those years back in the seventies and early eighties when I sold a ton of Mexican brick weed it was really premier stuff and I should have been selling it for top dollar. Who knew.
I just imagine revegeta666 back in the day coming to see me and asking, hey you got any of that good Mexican brick weed? He would have been laughed out of the room. Mexican brick weed has never been used as a complimentary description for weed. Except here.

Taima-da

Yeah damning with faint praise. Mexican brick weed is awful and it has always been used to describe shitty weed. So now Mexican brick weed is considered quality stuff huh? I guess all of those years back in the seventies and early eighties when I sold a ton of Mexican brick weed it was really premier stuff and I should have been selling it for top dollar. Who knew.
I just imagine revegeta666 back in the day coming to see me and asking, hey you got any of that good Mexican brick weed? He would have been laughed out of the room. Mexican brick weed has never been used as a complimentary description for weed. Except here.

Horses for courses and all that.

Experience is personal, some have memories of good times, or even preferred that old school happy effect.

I had some H X P today, and it's great, (happy smooth and clean) 😁

It's just attributes and preferences. All kinds welcome.

Last edited:

BuckeyeGreen

Agree that people can have fond, nostalgic memories of times past however that doesn’t alter the fact that the Mexican brick weed is very, very low quality.
The growers took none of the care that we growers take when growing weed. It was cut down, dried bone dry in the blazing Sun, packed, compressed and took long, hot journeys to get to its final destination. My bricks were brought in by boat to Florida. Shipped in trucks to many parts of the country.

It was 2 to 3 % thc tops, dry as hell, full of stems, dirt, dust, dried bugs, seeds and harsh as can be. I never smoked that shit. I started out smoking it and also have very fond memories of the first highs with friends at concerts and driving around with my buddies, getting high and groovin to some good 8 track tapes. Very quickly though I built up a tolerance, barely got high at all and all I got after awhile was a sore throat and a headache.

Did realize pretty quickly there was money to be had and I got into selling to classmates after they were always coming up to me asking if I knew where they could get some. I did, got fronted a pound by letting the dealer hold the title to my car until I paid him for the pound. Only reason he did that for me was that he and my older brother were tight. I also knew that if I didn’t get him his money in a week, the car was his. We were friends but business was business and he let me know from the get go that friendship would not be considered when it came time to pay. I also knew that he had collectors and you DID NOT want those fuckers showing up at your door. Sold it all in three days and I was off to the races.

I smoked the good stuff my dealer and supplier had and would never touch the brick stuff. You move enough product you get the, very rare, good stuff, if you’re lucky. He only offered me that for my personal use after I’d moved about ten pounds and he knew I could handle the job. It was a expensive as hell for the time.

The first time he offered it to me he sold me one joint for $10. $10 back in the day would get you a fair amount of brick weed in a dime bag. So $10 for a joint was unheard of by me. When he told me how much he wanted for that little joint, it wasn’t a fatty by any means, my eyes widened and my jaw dropped a little bit. He looked at my face, smiled and said, it’s worth every Penny. Then he proceeded to fire it up and passed it to me. First he said, take it easy now. I was thinking, what is this shit if I’m supposed to take it easy smoking on this little joint. After about five minutes, I asked him how much for an ounce? He looked at me, patted me on the shoulder and said, you can’t afford it. He said look, I can only get so much of this stuff and what I can get it’s for my personal use and for a few my best dealers.

I had never experienced anything like Nirvana on a stick before, I liked it and I wanted more. Again I asked, how much? He asked, a whole ounce huh? I said yep, a whole ounce. He smiled and said, $300. My asshole puckered when he said $300 and I knew enough not to laugh or complain about the price because supply was almost nonexistent for that quality of weed and my demand was very high. $300 in 1976 was a whole lot of money but for me it was like buying a gold bar. Hell I bet gold wasn’t near $300 an ounce in 1976. So it as a shocking amount! I paid it.

He laughed and said he wouldn’t hit me so hard in the future on the price but he wanted me to know that this was valuable, rare stuff, exclusive and for that you have to pay top dollar. He was giving me more of a hard lesson than it just being about the price. The lesson was top quality is expensive, rare and exclusive. I was told not talk about it with anyone and to never try and sell it. I asked well what is this stuff? He gave me a hard look and said, it’s my shit and nobody else has it. Period! OK man I get it, mums the word. He said good and don’t you forget it. The gap between brick weed and that stuff was as wide as the Grand Canyon.

The brick weed was better than nothing for the average buyer but I guarantee you that if you showed a bag of that stuff to modern day buyers they would laugh in your face if you tried to sell it to them.

Saying weed reminds you of Mexican brick weed was never and never has been considered a compliment. If you have ever been to Mexico, as I have and watched how it was processed, handled, packaged and shipped you’d be appalled. We won’t even talk about the shit they sprayed on it.🤢

Now I have absolutely no doubt that the Honduras/ Panama I’m growing right now, photo below, is light years better than Mexican brick weed! Hell I could tell the quality after growing it for about six weeks. Not even in the same universe as Mexican brick weed. That is why I would never compare it to Mexican brick weed. I know Mexican brick better than the vast majority of people. You get to know it pretty well after selling it for seven years and going through many hundreds of bricks of the stuff.

My H/P will come down in a couple of weeks, I’ll dry it in my humidity controlled room for about two weeks, store it for a couple of months and then put it to the test. I have no doubt it will be top shelf and I’m very much eagerly awaiting that first smoke.

Attachments

• 72B65098-5F5B-4F21-9945-4FDC594DCD66.jpeg
    72B65098-5F5B-4F21-9945-4FDC594DCD66.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 233
  • 71BD0C9C-F28E-43E3-A8B0-6D9C41FBFFA8.jpeg
    71BD0C9C-F28E-43E3-A8B0-6D9C41FBFFA8.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 233
  • 0464E975-4641-4FF8-9FFD-E2C86D707A97.jpeg
    0464E975-4641-4FF8-9FFD-E2C86D707A97.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 231

Cannabrainer

We get it. It might be an unfortunate expression and you are correct. Words are polysemious though and people like me can understand that expression as a reference of the random, maybe lucky, experiences we have had with imported brickweed. I my case, being from Puerto Rico, we would get a lot of Colombian and to be honest I have never experienced the high that I experienced coming from a set of seeds I got from this type of packed cannabis. Plenty of times it was very well preserved and had a nice bag appeal in comparison to other ¨brickweed¨ and so we called it ¨Baby Creepy¨ (Creepy being a generic term for anything that was very good). I grew out those seeds and I could only say that I got beautiful plants that impaired a serious cannabis veteran and blew away anything that we were being sold at the time in PR (OG Kush, Strawberry Cough, Diesel, etc.).

In fact, this is what has driven me to grow Ace gear and lurk in this forum for years. So while I do agree 100% with you, I could understand where other people are coming from when they use the expression. Cheers!

Keif Cake

Veteran
When most people on here are reminiscing about the brick weed of days past, i dont think many are missing the lowest quality sess you can think about or find, but are remembering the few times a year some really good brick rolled through, most likely fermented from not being dried to a crisp and packaged. There was a lot of bunk, but there were also bags where a pinner would get you ripped.
Also even the average quality stuff would be pretty energetic, always stayed active doing things on old brick, may not have had a very desirable smell or taste, but the effects were good.

OZZ_

Veteran
When most people on here are reminiscing about the brick weed of days past, i dont think many are missing the lowest quality sess you can think about or find, but are remembering the few times a year some really good brick rolled through, most likely fermented from not being dried to a crisp and packaged. There was a lot of bunk, but there were also bags where a pinner would get you ripped.
Also even the average quality stuff would be pretty energetic, always stayed active doing things on old brick, may not have had a very desirable smell or taste, but the effects were good.

Agree with this 100%. We were getting bricks in for a good decade that were better than some of the nug coming out of CO around ‘95 to ‘05 ish.

It was seeded but was nicely green, great smell and always an energetic uplifting soaring effect. There was trash around too for sure …. But no one wanted it once we started sourcing this. For around a decade it ended up being the only “brick” around it simply outcompeted everything else.

MrHamilton

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Nice colas on her….. how long are you thinking you’ll take her?
She’s probably got a couple weeks left. My entire 11/13 tent is going to all be finishing up over the next 2-3 weeks, except the PH x Malawi, it’s looking like a very long flowering haze expression. Here’s a partial view(I took the Thai Chi in front yesterday, 87 days)
E8B0D6B0-3C04-4537-8FA9-85A1641D5877.jpeg

BuckeyeGreen

I got a surprise about 15 minutes ago. I was in the tent cleaning up and saw a branch in the middle of the plant that looked dried up. I saw that I had trained it a little too hard and it got pinched. It eventually choked it off and it flopped and dried.
Luckily I can now finish drying it up and give it a taste. Sativa is back on the menu.😎

Attachments

• 62114034-D638-4A48-8B45-61A9448B1CD1.jpeg
    62114034-D638-4A48-8B45-61A9448B1CD1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 159
  • C81E9795-F141-4B76-B8DB-9D1BE3CCA950.jpeg
    C81E9795-F141-4B76-B8DB-9D1BE3CCA950.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 159
  • F726C4DC-AEE4-4792-BFEC-F131E6275567.jpeg
    F726C4DC-AEE4-4792-BFEC-F131E6275567.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Stoneroller

A little vape-report for Honduras x Panama, after a 3 months cure. Vaped with S&B Mighty in 185-190 C.

Lemon jumps out first from freshly ground red pheno. The early smell of lemon cleaner has evolved more into Limoncello. The green one has more complexity, with some wild strawberry in the mix. Taste from the vape is quite similar on both, and it is more like vanilla cheese cake than fruits or berries. Some roasted nuts appear as well as something woody and herbal, maybe that is the famous incense? Me and my friends like this a lot!

High is first of all heady, sometimes it feels like my brains are getting a massage! Expansive, thought inspiring, clear but dreamy. Positive and alert while being still calm. Personally i find this strain be suitable both for social and physical activities, as well as for thinking and meditation. Great for outdoors and nature! Clears off nicely, does not keep me awake nor put me to sleep afterwards and does leave a groggy feeling.

Effect wise the green and red pheno are quite similar. Green could be a little creepier and clearer, and red is maybe little bit more red-eyed and stony. At the moment, i personally gravitate towards the green, but I am now hitting the red one and really digging it too.

Excellent strain! Lets see how it evolves with longer cure. Maybe i will have to roll some joints too for a smoke report further down the road. 😁

nick11

Veteran
I'm in the deep south and brickweed was very common..40 oz in the early mid 90s. Most as said was crap dry, seeded, and ammonia smelling. However 1 in 20 was really good stuff, called " mid" which was actually nugs with a few seeds. The high was always up with alot of laughing and giggling, as most Mexicans were.

Sorry to get off topic, but alot of memories when I read " brickweed" lol. I grew a few over the years, but most would never fully finish in a 250 watt closet. Alot of good times though smoking blunt after blunt as a young smoker.

MrHamilton

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Great looking cola @MrHamilton :yes: next cycle increase a bit the feeding for even better yields!
She’s a beautiful plant, but you’re right about feeding her more. I tried to mix her base soil a little rich after reading that she’s a heavy feeder, and obviously I still shorted her. I grow in organic living soil, but not opposed to supplementing organic nutes as needed next time.

Keif Cake

Veteran
My poor Honduras Panama didnt take the extra nitrogen as well as everything else when i misdiagnosed micronutrient deficiencies in some of my plants. I didnt get around to taking a cutting of this one yet, so it may be the end of the line for this one. Looks like its time to start the 2 Five packs of regs and actually make a selection. This was a single seed from a fem pack, i know there are much better ones out there and this one has been pretty great, especially in the terps dept, maybe not so much in the trim dept though.

20230408_230651.jpg