What's new

Homesteading

With several threads actively discussing the current state of this nation and the world, and how most some members are disgusted by both, I wanted to start a discussion where people could post about homesteading, sometimes known as “Living Off the Grid”, permaculture, reclusive living, etc.

This is a thread for those who want to remove themselves as much as possible from the confines of modern society and how they envision or plan to do so.

This is also a thread for those already done so, and may have realistic advice and warnings about the romantic notion of getting away from it all and living as a recluse.

Below I posted some topics that scratch the surface that would help get the conversation rolling.

Public Services

• Using solar power or power generators instead of public electricity and/or gas utilities.
  • Using private water/well water and/or collecting rain water instead of public tap water.
On a personal note, I find it very ironic that people who detest drinking tap water, have no problem with using the same tap water for washing their clothes, washing their dishes, showering and bathing.

Financial

• No use of credit or debit cards or in-store department cards.
  • No use of “savings” cards, those annoying cards that store purchase history when you swipe them for discounts or coupons in supermarkets and grocery stores.
  • No use of banks for money storage.

Property

• Buying a house vs buying land and living in an trailer
  • Pros and Cons of living in remote rural areas

Technology

• Removal and/or destruction of RFID tags and chips
  • Programs like No Script, Ad-Aware installed on Internet browsers
  • Using Internet proxy services
  • Using Linux/Unix operating systems

Consumption

• Growing your own food instead of going to the supermarket or Walmart
  • Making for own alcoholic beverages; growing your own tobacco
  • Cooking and eating only at home; to take out, no restaurants
  • Buying food from local farmers instead of going to the supermarket or Walmart
  • No broadcast, cable or satellite television,
  • No cellular or landline phones
Personal Choices

• Biking, walking or riding the bus instead of driving
Domestic Life

• Getting the mail regularly delivered to a P.O. Box
  • Not filling out and sending off the change of address forms
  • Not filling out census forms
  • Not registering to vote
  • Not registering for government ID card (driver's license, etc.)

As for me personally, right now, I can only accomplish little things. I am an undergraduate agriculture student in between my third and fourth year.

• I gave away my television last year and haven't missed it since, well, with the exception of the occasional video game.
  • I have not had a car in several years due to a driver hitting me and leaving the scene of the accident. Since then, I use public transportation, which is good for me. But I know I have to re-learn how to drive in the future, after I graduate as well as try to purchase a used car.
  • I have a cellphone, but I do not like it since I rarely use the phone. In addition, I do not like how cellphones can be used to locate your general position. I only got it for my family since I moved away from them and my hometown. For me, my cellphone functions more as a watch and an alarm clock than a device used for talking.
  • I live in an studio apartment, so I am dependant on public utilities.
  • I don't have any credit cards. But I do use the "saving card" that I got for free from the local supermarket. I didn't have to fill anything out to get one, but since I occasionally do pay with my debit card, I'm sure that the supermarket has probaly linked my debit card and the saving card with my purchases of canned tuna and ramen. :)
  • As an agriculture student, I want to grow my own food, but I live in an studio apartment, on the bottom floor. There is a 2.5 ft x 1.25 ft patch of grass underneath my window. I would like to grow vegetables there, but I am weary of the neighbors stealing my grows and the management staff that would love to slap any "gardening fees" on me.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
hey MV

Thanks for creating this thread. I am really interested in the thought of homesteading, and would like to be living that dream within 10 years. I'm still a student too but I am doing a bunch of research so that when the time comes, I'm at least halfway prepared.

I will come back later to post some links that might be helpful to like-minded people.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I grew up on a dirt farm, we raised most of what we ate. A big part of survival was neighbors, relatives in my case, who all shared bounty, skills, lore, and helped each in their turn. Be ready to work dawn to dusk, all year, no vacations.
H

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
I've always wanted to quasi-homestead. Produce what I can, trade for and/or purchase the rest. I'm really interested in building using Earth Bags. Using the thermal mass of the Earth for cooling/heating is a no-brainer. And at $10/square foot, it's cheap to build.

Great thread, Maria Vanessa, I'll be stopping in often. Out of curiosity, are you male or female?

patches

Using Linux/Unix operating systems FTW!!

Maria are you single? ...'ope nevermind, I just saw mention of Ramen noodle...blehhh, very bad 4 u body!

I've always wanted to quasi-homestead. Produce what I can, trade for and/or purchase the rest. I'm really interested in building using Earth Bags. Using the thermal mass of the Earth for cooling/heating is a no-brainer. And at $10/square foot, it's cheap to build.

Great thread, Maria Vanessa, I'll be stopping in often. Out of curiosity, are you male or female?

Female.

Molson

No use of credit cards? How are you supposed to finance buying land/property with no/little credit?

No money in banks? I'd rather have my money sitting in a high interest savings account than under my bed in a shoe box.

Some of these suggestions are good, but some I think aren't so good...

Using Linux/Unix operating systems FTW!!

Maria are you single? ...'ope nevermind, I just saw mention of Ramen noodle...blehhh, very bad 4 u body!

I know ramen is bad for your health, but sometimes ramen, some tuna and frozen veggies are all I can purchase.

I have a laptop running XP, SP3 that I bought from a co-woker and an external hard drive running Ubuntu Linux, a free to download operating system for those that do not know. I've been using Linux since Hardy Heron. I would completely switch over to Linux but there is a Windows program that I use daily that has stopped being updated by the developers and has not been ported over to Linux. I only use Word on campus. At home, I use Open Office (free to download office suite)or a plain text editor.

No use of credit cards? How are you supposed to finance buying land/property with no/little credit?

No money in banks? I'd rather have my money sitting in a high interest savings account than under my bed in a shoe box.

Some of these suggestions are good, but some I think aren't so good...

That is what the thread is for. To the discuss these types of important issues that you just brought up. It is my opinion that in general, most people have thought about what it would be like to "get away from it all and live off the land", at least once in their life. But your statements like yours are the doze of reality that people need so that it isn't just a dream, it can be a well-planned, life-long goal.

I live in an apartment, so I don't know anything about buying a home and/or the land it sits on, so I would like to listen to experienced members that do own homes and maybe the land that sits on it as well.

supermanlives

Veteran
hell no. not if its more then 20 min to a strip club.i lived without electricity but a small bank of batteries for the cb and such. fuck that. i am getting old and spoiled . gutting a deer aint so fun now

junior_grower

we always have to have a bank account. Property taxes come every year and need to be paid ( unless you live in Alaska so I hear).

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I agree with Haps, you could not have a job and work a farm. I have trouble keeping up with my big veggie garden and grow op alone, farming for sustenance would push me right over the edge.

A few other suggestions you mentioned I take some issue with:

Consumption

Growing your own food instead of going to the supermarket or Walmart
Making for own alcoholic beverages; growing your own tobacco

Just the food is quite a task, but distillation is illegal in most areas, and tobacco takes lots of space for drying and curing.

Cooking and eating only at home; to take out, no restaurants
Buying food from local farmers instead of going to the supermarket or Walmart

I can support this, but things like rice and wheat are completely impractical to grow on a small scale. There will always be staples like these that must be procured, not grown. Odds are you won't be able to barter for things that your neighbors can't grow either, so it's back to needing money.

No broadcast, cable or satellite television,

Why? Without one of those, you have no internet, and I don't want to be completely ignorant of the world around me.
No cellular or landline phones

Again, why? I can't call my mom on mothers day? She lives 300 miles away, a little far for me to ride my bike.

Personal Choices

Biking, walking or riding the bus instead of driving

Not practical at all, if you live in the sticks you will not do ANY of these things. You live in the country, you need a car, preferably a 4X4 truck. You can't haul bales of hay or 500# of animal feed home on your bike!

Domestic Life

Getting the mail regularly delivered to a P.O. Box
Not filling out and sending off the change of address forms
Not filling out census forms
Not registering to vote
Not registering for government ID card (driver's license, etc.)

Can't make the world a better place if you can't vote, can't vote without ID, can't get a house or property without a bank, can't drive a car without a license. We're a hundred years past the era where any of these things could be considered optional in my opinion.

If you don't believe me, try walking into a bank with $600K to buy a piece of farmland with a house. The IRS will be beating down your door to seize your illegal drug profits so fast it'll make your head spin.

HillBillMt

well, pretty much there now, i can say that about 80% of what you have listed is how i live now.add the other 20% and you are describing my wife's life to a "T" up until she was 19, then we lived that way for a few more. i eventually moved her closer to town and set her up with a washing machine (she still doesn't like nor will she use the dishwasher or the microwave) and indoor plumbing (you may laugh but im serious), there was a time (she was 10 ta 14) her dad would take her and her 4 sisters down to the creek and sit with the shot-gun while they did laundry on the rocks. ya may wonder why a guy would sit and watch with a shot-gun, the reason would be a thing we call BEARS & CATS (!!!!!) and the idea of stayin OFF the menu.. :shooty: now days we are a little closer ta town and a few comforts are much adored, the idea of "canned fire wood" (propane) is great and doesn't take a month ta cut (8 cord in one winter). we only deal in cash (not true i trade with gold and silver all the time) and haven't financed a thing since i met her. buyin a house can be an issue but there are ways it can be done (one is a 'ghost' buyer) if you know the right kind of folks and can trust the party's you deal with. i actually have a friend that has his home in such a remote area that he has no address and the home isn't on any map/survey, that's "off the grid"... ill check in on things again, yall take care HHB

i fergot ta mention the kerosen lamps and the wood 'cookstove' (double oven 6' wide) we still have and use when we can.... :shooty:

Last edited:

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Back in the early 70's the back to th land movement was in full swing,The Mother Earth News was the bible for how to, become a small scale subsistance farmer. I lived in a 100 year old farm house in No. Idaho, we raised all our food, meat,grains. Cooked on a wood stove and heated with wood also. I cut 10 plus cord a year, you actually cut wood all winter long for the next year,Made our own beer and wine. It was great,I loved it. But now knowing how much work it takes 10-12 hour days. I wouldn't want to go there unless it was really needed. As for money, to quote my older brother pot may well become the next currency, Gold is good but it finite and expensive to buy. any way just some random thoughts an d my 2 cents.:smoweed:Can you plow with a six horse team on a three bottom plow?

haha swoopin in on the dream girl eh Marquis? I gotta find me one like this too...
You mentioned building with earth bags, have you seen the Earth Ships? Packed tires seem to work well but back breaking work. I've also seen like 5'x5'x5' (not sure of the actual measurements) compressed bricks of tires used as the main building material.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
I got a thing for girls that are smarter than me, what can I say?

125 cubit feet of compressed tire sounds like it would weigh a ton.

Latest posts

Latest posts