What's new

Homesteading

Wow, you got to be kidding. No way am I giving up the comforts of modern life. But good luck to you, I think the Unabomber's cabin may still be for sale. Hey, while you're still with us in the 21st century I'll nominate a theme song for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

I love that song. :)

It's up to every individual to decide what comfors of modern life he or she is willing to give up or not to give up, that is what I would like to hear.

As niche gardeners, a level of anonymity naturally comes with the territory. As as such, some, not all people, would rather opt out of society as much as possible because of various reasons such as:

• To reduce the level of garden compromise.
  • Disgusted with the lack of community brotherhood in society.
  • Disgusted with individual freedoms being stripped away to expand general government and law enforcement power.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
I love that song. :)

It's up to every individual to decide what comfors of modern life he or she is willing to give up or not to give up, that is what I would like to hear.

As niche gardeners, a level of anonymity naturally comes with the territory. As as such, some, not all people, would rather opt out of society as much as possible because of various reasons such as:

• To reduce the level of garden compromise.
  • Disgusted with the lack of community brotherhood in society.
  • Disgusted with individual freedoms being stripped away to expand general government and law enforcement power.

Indeed you are correct. Though I must point out with the right money upfront you can almost opt out and still have your creature comforts nowadays. The problem is that number is well into 6 figures. Then again 30 years ago the option wasn't available at any price.

As far as brotherhood in society it exists, you just have to look for it, and it's not something you can force out of those inclined to not participate. But if you withdraw and don't offer others that which you seek aren't you promoting the opposite? The only way such bonding will ever occur is when the majority realizes it's in their better interests.

The erosion of civil liberties will continue whether you are in or out, you would just be ignoring that. It might not be the smartest thing because you can't make your proposal work without strong property rights and a society that's willing to enforce those rights.

Glad you enjoyed the song. That's what popped into my mind when I read the OP. The rest of the post was just a segue into linking that. Weird Al is funny as shit IMO. Did you realize that the Amish woman that sits their listening to him is Florence Henderson?

O K Maria. Former city boy here, went back to the Earth in the mid 70s. I wouldn't want to do it without electricity. Besides asking a bunch of us stoners who have a different way of looking at things; and some of whom may not have the slightest idea what they're talking about, I'd do some learning before committing some serious errors.
If I may offer 2 books for your reading pleasure which I'm certain are out of print but also turn up used on Amazon:
1) Five Acres and Independence by M.G. Kains and
2) Grow It by Richard Langer
Also anything by Gene Logsdon.

Lots of good practical experience in those 2

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
This is kinda of an old "movement", not sure if anything ever became of it, but I like the idea.

http://www.freestatewyoming.org/

The part that I like, besides the obvious libertarian leanings, is the notion of homesteading, whilst still taking part in an active community. Too many people run off to the woods to abandon civilization, but I think homesteading would be much easier, as well as much more realistic for most of us, if we first built small communities capable of sustaining themselves if SHTF. (One helluva run-on)

There is a similar free-state project in New Hampshire, which I find particularly interesting, because New Hampshire is the one state that does not require auto insurance. (I've heard of people getting NH tags for their car, then driving out to NH annually for inspections, just to avoid giving money to insurance companies)

CaptainTrips

I agree with Haps, you could not have a job and work a farm. I have trouble keeping up with my big veggie garden and grow op alone, farming for sustenance would push me right over the edge.

A few other suggestions you mentioned I take some issue with:

Just the food is quite a task, but distillation is illegal in most areas,

And? So is growing, or smoking weed which most people here don't mind doing. Also, distillation is illegal in all areas of the US since its against federal law. Although from what little ive seen of people dumb enough to get caught, there isn't much penalty if it was just a personal use thing.

and tobacco takes lots of space for drying and curing.
Not really, assuming enough for one or two people...

@ NOKUY: Thanks for the link. I never had any faith in SS and Medicare. I understand why SS and Medicare was created. I have a softer spot for Medicare, but I feel as though they should have been cut SS decades ago.

As far as the economy, I had the opposite worry, that American business and government leaders would pimp out America even more and we are 100% completely at the mercy of foreign investments. State governors, state legislators and even city and town mayors frequently court foreign companies to come in to set up shop and hire the locals for jobs.

I don't know if you have noticed this trend, but American cities and suburbs are slowly turning into what European cities like Paris are today, where the rich live in the cities and the poor are pushed into the suburbs. It's been happening for the past 15 or 20 years and will continue to do so with gentrification on the rise.

@ Pythagillo
Haha! I didn't realize that was Florence Henderson. :)

I was running out of time and nearly late for the bus to school when I made my second point. It was a general, blanket statement and I should have been more specific. What I wanted to express, from a garderner's perspective, is that a grower should certainly be, at the very least, civil to his or her neighbors. Sometimes civility isn't enough when a grower is unfortunate to live next door in a house or an apartment with a neighbor or neighbors from hell. Keeping to ones' self and being a quiet, good neighbor can be interpreted by others as "being up to no good" or "suspicious".

@ fishheadbob
Thanks for the reply and the information. I'll look out for those books as well. I also see these ads for these DIY solar panels and I wonder if they really work. Does anyone here have any forst-hand, working knowledge about them?

@Marquis Black: I tried to find some recent information as well. I saw that they have a FB profile, and it looks like they are off-and-on active there. The las post made was yesterday, but the second to last post was made on May 17th.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
i love this thread......and i think i might be falling for maria too. something about a woman that is more outdoorsy than me....

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I live around people out here in the far-east that do live without electricity, cell-phones, internet, municipal water.....they get their food from working the land and fishing the sea.....their light is from the sun in the day, and maybe a candle at night...They build houses from bamboo, coco-lumber and matted coconut fronds for a roof.....

They farm with the use of water buffaloes and raise their families in this very natural environment......it's a very hard life where life expectancy is no where near as good as it is in the west primarily because if and when someone needs good medical attention it is not affordable or free......For a man and woman to support a family well they will have to find a way to earn money to be able to get the medicine they might need when someone gets sick......

I live around people out here in the far-east that do live without electricity, cell-phones, internet, municipal water.....they get their food from working the land and fishing the sea.....their light is from the sun in the day, and maybe a candle at night...They build houses from bamboo, coco-lumber and matted coconut fronds for a roof.....

They farm with the use of water buffaloes and raise their families in this very natural environment......it's a very hard life where life expectancy is no where near as good as it is in the west primarily because if and when someone needs good medical attention it is not affordable or free......For a man and woman to support a family well they will have to find a way to earn money to be able to get the medicine they might need when someone gets sick......

That puts everything in a realistic, sobering perspective. There are billions of people around the world that have to live this way instead of making a simple of choice.

That puts everything in a realistic, sobering perspective. There are billions of people around the world that have to live this way instead of making a simple of choice.

You can choose to live this way and not live like a pauper--it just takes work and lots of it! I am working on getting there now, and its going to take a couple years, but when I get there I will be way better of financially, and I will have a lot less stress. At least I hope I do!

You can choose to live this way and not live like a pauper--it just takes work and lots of it! I am working on getting there now, and its going to take a couple years, but when I get there I will be way better of financially, and I will have a lot less stress. At least I hope I do!

That's the closest to how I feel right now. This may sound corny, but through cannabis consumption, I finally realized what was personally important to me, to live well. It's influenced what I wanted to study at my university. I used to be a Business IT major, and I changed it to Agriculture, specifically, to Horticulture.

I do have a goal. I want to live well, peaceful and content. And I have realized that making 75k or 100k a year, to live well, is an option. In my opinion, making less money means that you don't have the disposable income to buy the lastest whatever in stores, and that you probably cannot afford those huge McMansions or poorly and cheaply constructed condos and townhomes. And for me, having a limited income means giving up on material items and sticking with the basics, and that's fine for me.

And of course, another major influence is that, I don't have any children.

That's the closest to how I feel right now. This may sound corny, but through cannabis consumption, I finally realized what was personally important to me, to live well. It's influenced what I wanted to study at my university. I used to be a Business IT major, and I changed it to Agriculture, specifically, to Horticulture.

I do have a goal. I want to live well, peaceful and content. And I have realized that making 75k or 100k a year, to live well, is an option. In my opinion, making less money means that you don't have the disposable income to buy the lastest whatever in stores, and that you probably cannot afford those huge McMansions or poorly and cheaply constructed condos and townhomes. And for me, having a limited income means giving up on material items and sticking with the basics, and that's fine for me.

And of course, another major influence is that, I don't have any children.

I grew up on a farm, used to tell my dad I couldn't wait to move to the city and never look back. Boy do I regret that now! I went to the Army, served my term, went to college, now I have one of those big income jobs in the city. The money is great, but not worth all the stress that comes with it, trust me.

You can make it on less income, as long as you save your money, and dont get wrapped up in loans, credit cards, etc. I headed down that path, and and working my way out of the hole. Wish Id had to sense to have the outlook you do now, when I was that age. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts