What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HMK Rosin Press - Hair Straightener 2.0

Medium Pimpin'

Ask Beavis, I Get Nothing Butt Head
Veteran
Nice press thewhitelotus!!!

Hey guys just a heads up, I personally wouldn't use a dremel to cut the iron's assembly.
A hacksaw would be easier to control, with less chance of binding the wheel and taking off and doing major damage to the unit. Or worse, yourself.
This is just my opinion tho.

And for how much rosin can I press in a day with this?
Who knows, but I sure wouldn't want to do this all day.
I couldn't imagine making $ pressing rosin all day to go out the door.
This is more tunes towards personal head stash IMO.
If I were doing this for profit, I'd need a way bigger rig

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
And for how much rosin can I press in a day with this?
Who knows, but I sure wouldn't want to do this all day.
I couldn't imagine making $ pressing rosin all day to go out the door.
This is more tunes towards personal head stash IMO.
If I were doing this for profit, I'd need a way bigger rig

:yeahthats

I pressed 7 grams in one day out of some dry ice keif but I was definitely over it after all that and got a thorough appreciation for economies of scale after that.

thewhitelotus

Veteran
thanks guys.....pretty cheap to build. I picked up the 6ton press at home depot because i read its better made than the harbor freight....i think i paid 100 for mine and got the 3x3 plates made for like 40 bucks locally. Using the Heady Tech to heat my plates!!

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would have thought a small induction plate would work well if those are available.

on other fronts, my irwin 600 showed up today!

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
OK so I started takin one uh these flat iron things apart, and realized I dont know shit about electronics... was I sposta get a different brand besides the wet/dry hair straitener? Anyone wanna lead me in the right direction? lol!

picture.php

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Think I did too damn much... Next time dont take apart the base huh? Really I guess I should keep most the whole thing together and maybe just extend the wires to the plates so i have room to work with them.

picture.php

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Hit up Arthritis Sucks or Heady Blunts. They were the guys who helped me along with making mine. I have to admit that I lost all interest and mine has been sitting unused since I cranked through a bunch of keif and still have the rosin from it sitting in the freezer. Good luck to yah though :yes:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
yeah i found the tutorial thread right after I fucked up my wifes hair straightener, haha!
Who Dat Is you like rosin compared to wax? Lately smokin wax or shatter out of a vape pen is all i do, so I wanted to give the rosin a shot..

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
yeah i found the tutorial thread right after I fucked up my wifes hair straightener, haha!
Who Dat Is you like rosin compared to wax? Lately smokin wax or shatter out of a vape pen is all i do, so I wanted to give the rosin a shot..

I'm weird in that I love everything about weed except for smoking it. I'm a super lightweight and only smoke a little at a time. Dabs are too much as I don't like getting that high. I wanted to submit the rosin I made here in The Frost Bowl but they upped the requirement after I made it and I didn't have enough so it's just sitting unused right now. I was probably going to make a tincture or edibles with it on down the road now.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
damn looks like i missed my chance to help with that one GM.

if you're not familiar with electronics you might wanna skip this one. the circuitry has several spots where you're getting unmodulated 120v straight from the wall that you definitely do not want to touch while you've got it plugged in.

otherwise ya, i try to salvage some of the plastic housing to cover what i can. most important is to keep the housing around the swivel joint where the power cord attaches. that shit is RAW. do not leave any of that exposed!

the only splicing i do is to extend the wires to one of the plates. make sure you use the same gauge wire to make the extension. cover the connections with wire nuts or at least electrical tape.

you can always leave the hair iron intact and use the vice to help squeeze it harder. you'll likely eventually crack the housing but it'll give you a cheap intro to rosin.

as for how much i like rosin over flowers or other concentrates? it's almost all i smoke at this point. i've been going days between smoking flower. and i stay puffd all day every day.

never got too into bho. it always sketched me out. it coats my teeth with plastic. it makes me feel creepy.

the rosin is leading me back to other solventless hash. started messing with dry sift and water hash again. i was never a big fan but people are making such clean stuff these days that it's like a completely different product to the bubble i was smoking 10 years ago.

i've already posted this elsewhere but imma throw it up again :biggrin:

trim rosin + gumby hash

12568345_1729056887340069_1883447133_n.jpg

indocult

This rosin thing fascinates me but I have questions...

where are you getting these filters you are using to squeeze buds?

Are some of you making bubble hash and then pressing that?

It seems like you'd get a higher yield from bubble but I'm not sure, just curious maybe some of you have done both and can comment on which seems to yield more or have a better product

JRace

looking at doing my first run this wknd,

in searching for which iron to use I found this at amazon:

Capture.PNG

LOL

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
still cant figure out how this process works ..guess I need a video...but it does seem like a lot of freaking work......yeehaw

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
still cant figure out how this process works ..guess I need a video...but it does seem like a lot of freaking work......yeehaw

If you like pressing personal amounts of rosin from your own materials then this process would make sense. If you are after it for any other reason then practicality goes out the window. I ended up giving away the one I made and just found out yesterday that the people I gave it too tried it once and the ceramic plates cracked all to pieces.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
well, I built the HMK press with the Irwin 600lb clamp & revlon hair flattener.. couldn't figure out how to open it after the press without a violent blast of air being sucked in and splashing it in little dots all over inside the parchment.. PITA getting all those spots.. BUT after paying more attention to opening the press rather than turning the iron off, the melted in plates melted out rubber pads and fell into the garbage pail (Empty).. soo new 'iron' and now vise grips (tks McK) but same scenario with opening and the air.. been thinking.. has anyone, and I will soon, tried an 'O' type reloading press for squishing? those things can put down some serious pressure.. just stick the 'iron' between the ram and an old reloading die adjusted to the exact depth, maybe a 1x3" piece of metal to distribute pressure.. I'm I whacked? I sold my RCBS rockchucker or I have it done.. go to the flea market... maybe.. until then vice grip. I'm new at this so its all GOOD.. been eating it...

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
Only just got back into growing so to get with the times, I'll be making rosin!

Just finished up my HMK Press but I decided to do a little modding in the name of safety.

Q1EqQS9.jpg

9Uhd791.jpg

LsHSpGi.jpg

With a little creative cutting, I managed to keep the housing around circuit board so it remains insulated.

Yodaweed

I used the dewalt clamp + hair straightener method for super long, it worked great until my heating element finally died . I figured it was then time to pony up and buy a small home use rosin press so i bought high5vape's press and i am pretty happy with my purchase. There's so many other presses out there that i honestly don't know how this one stacks up and i still miss the dewalt from time to time .

Latest posts

Latest posts