What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HMK Rosin Press - Hair Straightener 2.0

shredGnar

So what are you folks using for heated plates? Could you rig 4 plates from 2 straighteners to get twice the area in one press?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
12142020_970158016383542_1605033777_n.jpg

12105111_1639725886299047_445099291_n.jpg

12276835_695041577262107_1249801292_n.jpg

plates are 1" rolled steel flat bar cut to 2"x 3" manually heated, temped with an IR gun.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
for ~$50 i can make an HMK press with the irwin quick grip xl, a hair iron, and a bit of diy savvy. 100--300 psi. if i put it together decently it'll last for a long time. fits in a drawer.

for ~$125--200 i got a small hydraulic bottle jack powered shop press with manually heated plates. 1333---2000 psi. it's big and clumsy and needs maintenance, but it makes great rosin.

Heusinomics

I'm prety excited to put together a coupple chick grip units!
I didn't find what I wanted at my local shops. So I ordered the titanium straighteners and the grins online. They may not b here by the wknd. But I saved afew bucks, n even gotem w free shipping off amazon.

My plan is one for myself. And one for a Christmas gift to a bro.
Were both gunna b stoaked for fresh rosin dabs soon.

Thanx again to all the contributors

Big ups respect and happy growing.

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
I'm prety excited to put together a coupple chick grip units!
I didn't find what I wanted at my local shops. So I ordered the titanium straighteners and the grins online. They may not b here by the wknd. But I saved afew bucks, n even gotem w free shipping off amazon.

My plan is one for myself. And one for a Christmas gift to a bro.
Were both gunna b stoaked for fresh rosin dabs soon.

Thanx again to all the contributors

Big ups respect and happy growing.

That's what its all about, sharing the experience an knowledge :tiphat:

Z

Ziggaro

Good tips! Have yet to try rosin but I love the fact that the amazon listing for that straightener shows it is often sold with the quick grip clamp. LOL mostly stoners buying them I guess?

EsterEssence

Veteran
Here is what i came up with for heated plates. Took the waffle iron apart, added some aluminum plates...

Attachments

• DSCN1157.jpg
    DSCN1157.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN1159.jpg
    DSCN1159.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1160.jpg
    DSCN1160.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
I took the plates off the 8" waffle iron got the aluminum plates off ebay 6"x8" countersunk a screw into each end of the plates and screwed them to the waffle iron plates, which are each heated with a 450 watt coil, one side has the thermostat. I then ground down the tabs on the plate with the thermostat so they would sit flat on the press plates. I have heated the plates to burn off contamination, the plates heat to the same temp. I will be making some rosin with it soon...

blastfrompast

Veteran
esteressence:

Kinda like Hazeoil's one he made outta single burner stove coils?

I'm sticking with my $10 plates..... Hollow flat SS bar with ptc heaters mounted on inside..lol

Latest posts

Latest posts