What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hey ICMag! We are Lush LED Lighting!!!

Renae,

Its all good! I realize the majority of growers have larger gardens requiring larger units. I do believe, however, with the laws changing there will be a rise of personal growers who won't want huge grow tents. I look at the results (personal sustainability) I get in a small pc case and can't justify going much bigger. Although there are times (usually involving strains taking longer than expected) where I consider upgrading to a minifridge. Even then I think your 150 unit may be a little too much plant-pumping power.

I just see all the floodlight style growbulbs and 50 watt ufo's online, but don't want to be let down by a less than top shelf product. Seems like you guys are doing your homework. I like that. Would love to see what Lush could do with 50 watts or so. I'm guessing good things.

Next time I'm in the south bend area ill have to swing over to your store.

.....let's say I was going to upgrade to a mini fridge. Could the 150 unit be modified by your techs by removing diodes/changing lenses/etc to make it usable? I think the tricky part would be getting the distance needed between the light and the plants reduced....

Thanks again for your time, Renae.

Renae,

Its all good! I realize the majority of growers have larger gardens requiring larger units. I do believe, however, with the laws changing there will be a rise of personal growers who won't want huge grow tents. I look at the results (personal sustainability) I get in a small pc case and can't justify going much bigger. Although there are times (usually involving strains taking longer than expected) where I consider upgrading to a minifridge. Even then I think your 150 unit may be a little too much plant-pumping power.

I just see all the floodlight style growbulbs and 50 watt ufo's online, but don't want to be let down by a less than top shelf product. Seems like you guys are doing your homework. I like that. Would love to see what Lush could do with 50 watts or so. I'm guessing good things.

Next time I'm in the south bend area ill have to swing over to your store.

.....let's say I was going to upgrade to a mini fridge. Could the 150 unit be modified by your techs by removing diodes/changing lenses/etc to make it usable? I think the tricky part would be getting the distance needed between the light and the plants reduced....

Thanks again for your time, Renae.

Hi again,

It's interesting that we have been so focused on bigger/better and didn't think about the smaller gardens. We thought our smallest unit WAS the closet grower's choice, lol. Apparently, there's another market out there for micro-growers. That would be really cool if you swung through Niles next time you're in the area. We're in Belle Plaza. Closed Sundays. You could talk to Matt and explain to him your personal needs face-to-face and I think he'd be inspired. More than just me telling him something else to put on his to-do list. There was a coral guy in here looking for a specific spectrum and he and Matt were discussing something made special for him. So, it's possible. I'll run it by him again. Thank you :)

Mikenite69

Veteran
Not taking anything away from lush but if it doesn't work out for you getting the small micro light why don't you look into kessil? They are amazing lights there intensity is pretty good for such a small light it has a nice spread and could see this being a awesome light for the micro grower. They have brand new ones on eBay for around 100.00 bucks for the smaller units. My buddy owns a grow store and was Using one f these kessil lights to grow kale and I was impressed. This is what has peaked my interest into LEDs.

This is ofcourse lush doesn't make a light to fit your needs. Like I said before lush seems like a amazing company and I am not trying to steer you away from lush lights. I just wanted to steer you in a direction if the lush micro light doesn't pan out. Kessil lights are amazing for what they are and lots of research has also went into there lights so you know you will also be getting a amazing product and I could see one of the kessil lights doing amazing things for a micro grower.

Not taking anything away from lush but if it doesn't work out for you getting the small micro light why don't you look into kessil? They are amazing lights there intensity is pretty good for such a small light it has a nice spread and could see this being a awesome light for the micro grower. They have brand new ones on eBay for around 100.00 bucks for the smaller units. My buddy owns a grow store and was Using one f these kessil lights to grow kale and I was impressed. This is what has peaked my interest into LEDs.

This is ofcourse lush doesn't make a light to fit your needs. Like I said before lush seems like a amazing company and I am not trying to steer you away from lush lights. I just wanted to steer you in a direction if the lush micro light doesn't pan out. Kessil lights are amazing for what they are and lots of research has also went into there lights so you know you will also be getting a amazing product and I could see one of the kessil lights doing amazing things for a micro grower.
Had never heard of these kessil lights. I'll take a look. Thanks for the tip!

G'day Renae :) I've been reading your thread with interest. I didn't realise what an emotional issue LED lighting is for some. You've certainly taken a few lumps for your efforts.

Like many here I grow & consume for medical reasons (severe nerve pain that's almost as much as I can bear without my meds) & also because I enjoy the ride :)

I'm also interested in smaller models - especially bulbs that fit standard sockets.
Heat is a huge issue here in Aus. Smaller LED lights would help me keep mothers alive through the summer heat.

The Luminator 2x is more in my price range. How does it compare to a 400w Hps for instance? Is this part of your new product range or is there a new model on it's way?

Thanks & enjoy your holidays :)

Icemud

Our frames are similar to other LED's but it's what's inside that counts. Our spectrum is fueling photosynthesis faster and more efficiently. We have done a lot of research, especially on phycoerythrin and phycocyanin. These phycobiliproteins are not commonly discussed in text books or readily available studies. So, to simply say that our spectrum is the only thing different than other LED's is an under-exaggeration. We also have optional 2x lenses that are commonly not optional.

My question is....what does studying blue green algae have to do with Cannabis? Your science page is about "phycoerythrin" and "phycocyanin" which are ONLY in Algaes, so why do you mention these on your science page, when you supposedly have a "cannabis specific" light?

Do you have any evidence or proof of phycoerythrin or phycocynin in Cannabis?

az2000

I'm also interested in smaller models - especially bulbs that fit standard sockets.

There are LED "lightbulbs" are getting up there in efficiency. AliExpress seller BuyBay has some using SMD 5730 chips. These are in the range of 105-110 lumens per watt. A known chip, known spectral distribution. About $2.00 US each.

By comparison, DIYers using the latest COBs get 120-140 lm/w. Cree A19 lightbulbs are around 100 lm/w. T5HO is 92 lm/w. CFL, 60-70 lm/w.

A knowledgeable DIY guy on another forum uses the BuyBay SMD5730 lightbulbs. I ordered some but haven't received them yet. I've been using Cree A19 omnidirectionals ($7 US) mounted in reflectors. Also Cree Par38 spots ($21 US).

For $2 you might try it. 100-110 lm/w isn't bad. Full spectrum.

Area 51 is expected to release a new light in the next 4 months. Small, modular units that can be connected together to form a larger fixture. Cree XP-L chips, a dimmer for small areas.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey lush lighting. You guys should make a cylindrical shaped led light so I can grow led vertical like with hps. Also I could drop them from the ceiling anywhere I want for supplemental lighting in dark corners or the undercanopy. Also it be nice to have as back up lighting in a green house on a rainy day.

Mikenite69

Veteran
Lumens are kind of pointless it's just how bright the light is and it's kind of useless when it comes to a plant. But really smd chips putting out that kind of light output is kinda impressive if those are realistic numbers.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well you need a certain amount of lumens in the right spectrums. You could have the right spectrums but if not enough lumens of that spectrum, then you won't yield

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mike, probably explains why I get confused on the issue re; lighting. I thought lumens = light?

NS, there are lot's of different measures of light. Lumens, lux, candella, PAR, etc, etc. "Lumens" are used to measure the portion of the spectrum that is perceived the best by the human eye, thus the saying that "lumens are for humans". PAR is "photosynthetically active radiation", and is designed to help quantify the portion of the spectrum that drives photosynthesis the most efficiently.

Thanks for explaining all guys. Pretty much as I thought. az2000 DID point out that the lights had a '...known spectral distribution.' & I'm confident that az would not lead us astray :)
Now that that's sorted....az2000, thanks again for info. They sound like an economical & efficient source for clones/mothers & supplemental lighting.
Heat is a huge issue for me & that's what makes LED's so appealing to me & will be a part of my set-up for that reason alone. With a bit of luck, I might be able to flower through summer.
LED's are already a viable alternative, so it makes me wonder what technology will bring within 10 years? Cheaper, more efficient, will we all be growing with LED's by then? I'll get my crystal ball out, see what.............................:)

az2000

Now that that's sorted....az2000, thanks again for info. They sound like an economical & efficient source for clones/mothers & supplemental lighting.

FYI. Someone on another forum said they received one of those AliExpress SMD5730 lightbulbs and it wasn't as advertised. (For $2 US you can't go wrong ordering one to see what it is.). I can PM you or start a new thread when I receive mine. Sorry. Didn't mean to generate so many off-topic posts. But, felt I needed to post this update.

Mikenite69

Veteran
It's all good numbskull everyone answered your question before I came back to check. But ya lumens are kinda part of the equation as far as brightness goes. Everyone before me answered it best.

Not to be off topic but anyone here about these Ushio conversion bulbs? People are claiming huge massive yields almost on par with gravita?

RedBeardy5

i used to run ushio bulbs until I kept getting bad bulbs. The inside element would be broken inside on the bulb. Hortilux is the way to go.