What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help and tips making shatter and honeycomb

gumby420

Wookie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 12
so what temps and how long a vac are you guys running for shatter and for wax??

When you guys with CLS are finished recovering your butane or gas mix how much solvent is left in the collection tank? I have seen people just add ever clear at this point freeze 24 hrs, filter and evap on a hotplate in pyrex. How is this different from just using a vacuum chamber and hotplate? Is the ever clear recommend or not?

Yes everclear is def recommended for making winterized shatter!
If you don't have an oven or chamber please get one!

This is different because when you add the everclear and freeze, all the waxes will solidify, and then can be filtered out. I could explain it more, but this link says it all https://coloradobudblog.com/2014/11/04/how-to-winterizing-bho-dewaxing/

This does not eliminate the need for a vaccum chamber imo, but is the safest method if you do not have one.

gumby420

Gorgeous stuff Gumby!

Please share your techniques!

i explained pretty in depth on the previous page. the only thing i didnt go into was oven temps. for shatter im purging around 82-88 for up to 6 days, absolute minimum is 4 days. for honeycomb im around 100-110 and shut off the vac at around -28. like right before it hits full vac to keep the muffin inflated.

furrywall11

This was made from trim material harvested in october...so..over six months old...some of it was looking pretty gnarly. I'm happy to say it's totally stable in an 80F room. This was done at 106.5 for 24 hours.

jack herrer shatter.JPG

jack herrer shatter 2.JPG

furrywall11

update on the above slabs: they've now become more stable, more stiff and jolly rancher like and zero signs of nucleation.....underlining the importance of letting your slabs sit out and cure for a week at least...flip em too. also, if it's going to nucleate it'll usually happen within two weeks and it's definitely a lame move to give someone some pull n snap and then have it wax up on them, lol.

Cool my man!

Winterizing a 2 oz batch of nasty wax for a buddy. Hopefully should come out fire!

Happy 420!

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
Here is some bubba kush (first two pics)
and Mother of Mercy shatter I made recently (last pics)

Attachments

• IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 13
Looking great again, deeppurple...temps and times? that's indoor trim too, right?

Yes indoors. Found some really good prices on indoor so I have been trying out various strains.

Over the next couple weeks I will be doing a number of indoor nug runs. I have Green Crack, Blue Dream and Chernobyl. I think I am going to mix the Chernobyl, with Blue dream as they both are sativa-dominant hybrids with nice flavor notes.

For the bubba kush I did 100 deg for about 6 hours

For the Mother of Mercy 98 deg for 8 hours (could have purged longer)
Both were rock hard stable. More flavor out of the 98 deg purge, but it takes much longer.

furrywall11

Did 100F for 6 hours purge until it was unreactive? I've found that even 106 for 18 hours still has some bubbles when I flip it. I just got some really nice indoor sherbert, platinum OG, Blue Dream and, purple cadillac..I'm still deciding how to or if to combine them...the sherbet I have to run on it's own for the sake of flavor...but, I was thinking I could mix the Blue Dream and purple caddie...The sour diesel I'm running now comes out really nice and hard a 108 for 18 hours with a flip in the middle...without the flip it budders up...

Did 100F for 6 hours purge until it was unreactive? I've found that even 106 for 18 hours still has some bubbles when I flip it. I just got some really nice indoor sherbert, platinum OG, Blue Dream and, purple cadillac..I'm still deciding how to or if to combine them...the sherbet I have to run on it's own for the sake of flavor...but, I was thinking I could mix the Blue Dream and purple caddie...The sour diesel I'm running now comes out really nice and hard a 108 for 18 hours with a flip in the middle...without the flip it budders up...

Not doing until no bubbles. Until no reaction.
There will always be more bubbles if you fold or flip, despite not having any remaining butane bubbles in the thin film.
No reaction for me means, no more bubbles popping within a 20 minute or so window, at the desired pressure, in slab/patty form.

DZ explained to me that I was over purging after running some of his CK. ran it at 105 for 8 hours. He told me do 95 for 24 hours. I met him half-way and am doing 98-100 for 10 ish now. Depends on the amount, and how viscous it is

Can't wait to see some pics of what you come up with! Try doing temps a lil lower, and see if you notice any flavor improvements. Takes a bit longer, but worth it to me!

Latest posts

Latest posts