What's new

Help and tips making shatter and honeycomb

Here is the last of the cream caramel I grew over the summer.

This material was cut, quick dried and frozen. Until packed in the tubes, refrozen and then blasted.

Attachments

• IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 12
and the new Oven is in! Thanks for the tip on the BVV furrywall. read an older thread thats what you liked. I got the .9 CF wide window.

Attachments

• IMG_1462.jpg
    IMG_1462.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 10

furrywall11

Has anyone else seen this beast on the show room floor at Bhogart in San Jose? omg. The list of features is endless....allows you to do a first run---close the valve--remove the 1st run goodies--then do a 2nd run for food grade..it has a next generation heat exchanger which allegedly cuts down recovery time tremendously. *droool* They're also retrofitting old systems with sight glasses in the collection pot for $150...I guess that'd be cool to see but, I don't really get the point of it and it seems risky to add another potentially weak point in the system. Also, you can always tell where your solvents are at by the frostline or a scale. No, I think one sight glass is enough for me unless someone can reveal the point of the 2nd one. That trip down to the show room to see all the new gadgets showed me that I am very clearly behind the times.

IMG_1206.JPG

Last edited:

furrywall11

DP I hope you like your new oven..I'm still digging mine for the most part. The brackets that hold the shelves in place tend to shift so it can be a pain to get everything to line up sometimes but I'm still getting awesome results..

Last edited:

furrywall11

Here's something that came out of the oven about ten days ago...That means it's 5 month old OUTDOOR trim and still coming out stable and light-ish. With a little more dialing in I think I could improve the color quite a bit. Best to get on it though, folks..I don't think trim is going to keep coming out light two months from now..but, by then it's almost light dep season again! :) I had some beautiful three week old greenhouse trim with zero fans and sparkling with crystals in it that I outsourced and the guy gave me back blackish/greenish goop that couldn't be stabilized---it was completely worthless except for edibles. Best case scenario he didn't know what he was doing or his equipment failed worst case scenario he took all the first run for himself and gave me the 2nd run. I put so much work and money into growing that herb out that debacle cost me big time. Anyways, gotta keep trucking....I just got some MR. Nice (G13xHash Plant) that has all the characteristics that I love..hashy and friendly as heck...came out a little on the darker side but super stable and with that sparkly sugar wafer look..post some pics later.

IMG_1194.JPG

Here's something that came out of the oven about ten days ago...That means it's 5 month old OUTDOOR trim and still coming out stable and light-ish. With a little more dialing in I think I could improve the color quite a bit. Best to get on it though, folks..I don't think trim is going to keep coming out light two months from now..but, by then it's almost light dep season again! :) I had some beautiful three week old greenhouse trim with zero fans and sparkling with crystals in it that I outsourced and the guy gave me back blackish/greenish goop that couldn't be stabilized---it was completely worthless except for edibles. Best case scenario he didn't know what he was doing or his equipment failed worst case scenario he took all the first run for himself and gave me the 2nd run. I put so much work and money into growing that herb out that debacle cost me big time. Anyways, gotta keep trucking....I just got some MR. Nice (G13xHash Plant) that has all the characteristics that I love..hashy and friendly as heck...came out a little on the darker side but super stable and with that sparkly sugar wafer look..post some pics later.

View attachment 352615

Looks beautiful bro! You have any shatter pics as well?

Has anyone else seen this beast on the show room floor at Bhogart in San Jose? omg. The list of features is endless....allows you to do a first run---close the valve--remove the 1st run goodies--then do a 2nd run for food grade..it has a next generation heat exchanger which allegedly cuts down recovery time tremendously. *droool* They're also retrofitting old systems with sight glasses in the collection pot for $150...I guess that'd be cool to see but, I don't really get the point of it and it seems risky to add another potentially weak point in the system. Also, you can always tell where your solvents are at by the frostline or a scale. No, I think one sight glass is enough for me unless someone can reveal the point of the 2nd one. That trip down to the show room to see all the new gadgets showed me that I am very clearly behind the times.

View attachment 352614

My man DZ is away rn, but he knows a good deal about the high tech stuff. Hopefully I can glean some knowledge. That setup looks sweet.

Last edited:
So I found a Lo tech way to get clearer colors off shake or ground material. I still wouldn't grind my stuff intentionally...

This was off some AK shake.

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 10
What do you guys blast onto? I haven't blasted in a while but after reading this thread and posting, thinking about it. I had a friend blast onto parchment, had to explain to him why that was a terrible idea. How's those PTFE sheets? No way everyone is still blasting onto pyrex and scraping?

I haven't tried the ptfe sheets.

Not hard to get off the pyrex as long as it's still warm. A heat pad or gun and 6 in paint scraper are a blaster's best friend

rusga

Too much heat or too much vaccum to ger permagoo?
I am worried about leaving my sticky-oil into the vac chamber for too longer and face with a permagoo.

In fact I have had 2 very sappy runs recently...
One off some freshly chopped Medicine Man
first couple pics
and one off some old, heavily seeded Juicy Fruit buds
Last couple pics.

I got them to harden up by vaccing in thin film until no reaction, and then flipping it in on itself into a thicker patty, re-vaccing, and so on and so forth. It became twice as hard, and shatters when cool. A little sappy still for my liking at room temp... but initially wouldnt even pull off the non-stick mat.

The other alternative is to whip it up, pull partial vac, raise heat and bake into a honeycomb patty.
I usually do 115 for a few hours, but I do mostly shatter. Furry or Tnex would be able to speak more on the honeycomb

Attachments

• IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 13

furrywall11

I'm going to be truthful and just say I'm too busy with other projects and/or impatient to make shatter at this point in my life. All the flipping...and all the different ways you have to be careful when it's being created and after when you're dividing it up. Not to mention I feel like I've dialed in my honeycomb/sugar/play dough teks pretty good and running the numbers
are equal to or better than shatter when it comes to getting donations. That being said some material just doesn't want to be honeycomb, etc. but it _will_ turn into shatter using a quick and easy tek that works for me every time depending on it being the aforementioned material, of course. 135F for 40 minutes thin film. Boom... Maybe I'll post some more pics later I actually had some SD come out pretty light with this tek. And it's stable! flick it and it shatters like glass...and you can hold it in your hand for 60 seconds without your body heat turning it into goop and I call it stable. Both pics are the same thing just different lighting...

shatter 1.JPG

shatter 2.JPG

Last edited:

furrywall11

HEY! :) Who has the secret technique for cleaning up the remnants left in pyrex dishes? My stack of dishes is way too high. Right now I just heat my vac oven to 300F put the pyrex in there--everything liquifies and then I sort of slide it out with a paint scrapper into the edible dish...after that it's a matter of a bunch of paper towels and 99% iso....DP--heat gun sounds like it would help a bit, thanks...

Latest posts

Latest posts