What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help and tips making shatter and honeycomb

furrywall11

Hmmm I'm already used to doing 24-36 hour purges so doing that would actually be shorter for me....I'll try it out...we have the same oven and I imagine you didn't chance factory settings...I'll definitely post some pics of the sherbert....I'm really looking forward to that one !

Pulling and holding. I usually pull to -26, wait until the reaction stops/slows, then pull to -28 (same), pull to -29 (same) then full vac (leave the pump running for 10-20 mins) close valve and wait another 20 mins or so.

Then I devac to -20 and let it sit for a while (at these temps the shatter can harden in muffin form so I include this step )

then repeat the above process.

DZ says not to vac past -26 because it destroys terps, so I met in the middle with this method, and it is working out well for me.

I would reccomend turning up the heat to 100 or so for the initial muffin, because below 98 if it is a viscous stable shatter, it will have trouble letting those gasses escape initially

Hmmm I'm already used to doing 24-36 hour purges so doing that would actually be shorter for me....I'll try it out...we have the same oven and I imagine you didn't chance factory settings...I'll definitely post some pics of the sherbert....I'm really looking forward to that one !

Yea i didn't mess with the settings, so there should be little discrepancies between temps and pressures between of our ovens

w3rds

I get that 'I wanna share the knowledge' mentality. If you go back to all my posts and read them ive given knowledge and have been a part of 90% of the conversations that have to do with R&D of the new wave of extracts on ICMag. I would share anything I know with anyone who asked me. My issue is- When you do this full time and take pride in what you do, you kinda rather figure it out your self. Help is one thing but to map it out for the world is bunk. Why would you go meddling in others ventures because you want to be 'that guy'? If you want to make a contribution why dont you help on something in the R&D department? How about tying to get a molecular sieves to work? Help figure out how to filter fine particles from getting into the oil while not backing up to cause pressure build ups. I will go back to all your posts and read what your specific problems are and help you out. Ill give you advice on shatter all day, that will be a fun trick to pull off, even when you have all the 'tools' its not easy to maintain. Wax on the other hand is super easy and its a fun SHORT side venture in your big adventure of being an extract artist. Dudes like intoxicus5 told you already how to do it generically.. he isnt wrong, he showed you proof as to how to get dry crumble that defiantly doesnt have any tane in it. whip it til its a dry ball of wax on your pyrex. Keep your temps at 140 IMO. One day you will think about how you are killing a lot of properties in the whipping process and you will try to minimize the destruction. Then you may try some other things and move on to a better tek :)

Not through the entire thread yet, just finished reading your second post. I can understand your thought process of "people want to figure it out themselves". At the same time though, it feels like there are a lot of people who are "out for themselves" and that's the one thing I don't like about Extractions/Concentrates. While Cannabis has been a billion dollar industry, it's only more recently you have seen the "Capitalist Mentality" introduced.

Why should I tell you how I do it when I wasted 10 lbs before I figured out the trick?
this is a toxic mentality that I never saw when I was learning how to grow.

Most of the guys that are "keeping my tek secret" are about the lowest level of "community members" imo, but when it comes to making more money than someone else. fuck you pay me....

I know I love quotation marks, I'm very sarcastic and it doesn't come across well in text.

T

TreehouseJ

Not through the entire thread yet, just finished reading your second post. I can understand your thought process of "people want to figure it out themselves". At the same time though, it feels like there are a lot of people who are "out for themselves" and that's the one thing I don't like about Extractions/Concentrates. While Cannabis has been a billion dollar industry, it's only more recently you have seen the "Capitalist Mentality" introduced.

Why should I tell you how I do it when I wasted 10 lbs before I figured out the trick?
this is a toxic mentality that I never saw when I was learning how to grow.

Most of the guys that are "keeping my tek secret" are about the lowest level of "community members" imo, but when it comes to making more money than someone else. fuck you pay me....

I know I love quotation marks, I'm very sarcastic and it doesn't come across well in text.

BHO tek is a something of a joke in this household. Stuff, freeze, spray below 0, filter, and purge as gently as time and patience allows. I get tastier dab IMO with my simple tek than I see in dispensaries. I'm lucky enough to get my hands on veteran grown ultra-kill that puts most dispensary stuff to shame, and there really ain't a whole lot I could do f up the extract besides burning the sh*t out of it.

Old Gold

I get tastier dab IMO with my simple tek than I see in dispensaries. I'm lucky enough to get my hands on veteran grown ultra-kill that puts most dispensary stuff to shame, and there really ain't a whole lot I could do f up the extract besides burning the sh*t out of it.

Maybe because dispensaries are shelving concentrates from hashmakers like yourself, and perhaps worse, who equally think that they couldn't possibly do anything to produce an extract of less than "ultra-kill" quality, because it looks like bomb weed.
I know this comes off as slander, but what I'm really getting at is, you claim a "simple tek". So I will throw out the idea of butane distillation and decent solvent sources, to begin with. Also, are you freezing under vacuum or collecting moisture as things freeze?
Also, do you know everything that went into cultivation from the start? Otherwise, don't claim it's " ultra-kill" cannabis that you couldn't possibly fuck up. What if it already has poisons?
Just things to think about.

Oh. And tek = technique
Lab teks are handy. Learn dem.

T

TreehouseJ

Maybe because dispensaries are shelving concentrates from hashmakers like yourself, and perhaps worse, who equally think that they couldn't possibly do anything to produce an extract of less than "ultra-kill" quality, because it looks like bomb weed.
I know this comes off as slander, but what I'm really getting at is, you claim a "simple tek". So I will throw out the idea of butane distillation and decent solvent sources, to begin with. Also, are you freezing under vacuum or collecting moisture as things freeze?
Also, do you know everything that went into cultivation from the start? Otherwise, don't claim it's " ultra-kill" cannabis that you couldn't possibly fuck up. What if it already has poisons?
Just things to think about.

Oh. And tek = technique
Lab teks are handy. Learn dem.

Butane distillation is the last step I am even going to care make, and with some hesitation, because this starting material really is THAT good, and the final product is already stable bright yellow stained glass that stays snappin for months at room temp. The material I am talking about here is done 3 part gh at half strength with super thrive and calmag, simple as pie in DWC 5 gallon buckets by a 10 year veteran. It's not even pot. No chillers, no additives, no meters, just experience, tlc, and outstanding genetics. I fought tooth and nail and spent ~6k trying to set up a better system to get better results than him and it just wasn't happening. Grow "technique" has also become something of a laughing matter in his household. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I am also friends with the headshop owner down the block, and I linked him to the butane residuals test posted on here. Currently using power blue 5x or sum sh*t at .004g per can. Too paranoid to go to Amerigas and ask for pure n-butane.

Excited to see what butane distillation does, I'm not sure why my extracts turn out so hard even with all that water.

Last edited:
T

TreehouseJ

And thanks for the tip on freezing under vacuum with some desiccant! That one slipped past me.

T

TreehouseJ

I don't think dispensaries get extracts of this caliber because anyone putting that much tlc into their product and genuinely has something special to offer isn't going to want to sell it for a fraction of what its worth to a bunch of dick-nosed strangers, if they are going to want to sell it at all.

I should add that I feel there is a direct co-relationship between how much you grow and how good your buds turn out. We each just flower a couple plants for ourselves. We get to feed 'em pick 'em snip 'em lock 'em and pop to the minute. I wouldn't honestly expect anyone who running lbs on lbs on lbs to be able to source that much weed of this caliber. Strictly personal stash for 10 years and running.

Last edited:

Old Gold

Shoot a few boxes into an empty dish as liquid, and let it slowly evaporate. Tell me if you'd like a dab of what gets left behind.

T

TreehouseJ

Shoot a few boxes into an empty dish as liquid, and let it slowly evaporate. Tell me if you'd like a dab of what gets left behind.

I say this a lot, but as a pack-a-day smoker of 15 years, a little silicone flake, plant wax, or mystery oil in my head stash doesn't particularly bother me, at least not in the thresholds that I have encountered them. Exponentially healthier than my old pack-a-day swisher habit. If my objective were to supply meds to sick people, I would be forced to source pure butane. As it stands though, anyone who wants my dab will have to rip it from my cold, dead hands.

T

TreehouseJ

I can say that running almost every material other than my own and my buddies has left me wanting for better equipment and tek. There's a circle of guys out here cruuuuuuuushing it and even when I run any number of their perfectly grown and cured 10/10 strains, its just kinda darker and plainer tasting.

T

TreehouseJ

The people who smoke my dab are mostly drinkers/smokers and they are all aware of the fact that I use silicone mats and head shop butane and that I am a walking cat hair ball. I wouldn't ever dare say my dab is the cleanest but the general consensus is that it is definitely the lightest and tastiest that we have been able to find. I wouldn't even call it dab, it's just equal parts love and magic with some silicone/mystery spice which seems to reside below the taste/smell threshold.

w3rds

Peanut butter has low, crazy super low, levels of arsenic in it. Eat 30 jars of peanut butter and tell me how you feel.
Even things like benzene, which is absolutely toxic and carcinogenic, it's going to kill you when it's 2ppm of something that is 100ppm of the concentrate itself.

I'm not saying it's ok to inhale benzene, but I would rather smoke oil from someone who used power5x dealing with the pollution in any major US city.

P.S. playing devils advocate because my home set up done with a little extra care is better than 95% of oils I, or FaF, have bought from dispensaries.

flatslabs

The lesser of two evils argument you guys present to justify your use of dirty product isn't really necessary here. If you want to use it, then that is your own choice and you are free to do so.

The issue I take is when you subjectively compare your untested concentrates to the lab tested stuff that is coming out of a dispensary, it just doesn't fit the topic of the thread or positively contribute to the discussion in any way.

w3rds

I clearly stated that mine was a devils advocate standpoint.

I don't routinely test my product, due to it not being cost effective or really nattering for personal made concentrates. I do get a sample tested any time I switch my process up, beyond extremely minor tweaking, and have been able to see my oils maturing into what they are now.

Now, as I have stated, a homebrew done with true attention and care trumps 90% of dispensary oils I've come into contract with. You can't ignore the fact that there is little to no oversight on "dispensary oil" it's really just about what vendor the dispensary goes with. I'm seeing more and more finance only driven dispensaries that are selling lesser products at higher prices because they can. Sure there's competitive prices in highly saturated areas, and good for you. But, for some of us that are screwed with 1-2 dispensary towns, a carefully developed home oil can be the easy choice when picking an oil.

Where are the pics! New rules for this thread.
No boasting about your product without pics!

Also, I want to state for the record, yes of course the starting bud makes a huge difference in the final product. More important than the growing method though... is the flush, the drying method/moisture level, and the pheno. Some strain-phenos are near impossible to screw up, and others impossible to make into shatter.
This being said, that doesn't mean that an extract artist couldn't improve on it.
Many times I have run the same buds as friends, and had much better results.
Here is the same bud ran by myself, using two different techniques, both involving temps below -20C.
Old tech
New Tech

some pretty stuff i felt like posting for the heck of it

Just ran 2 ozs of blue dream and got 12.55 gs of pure stable gold.
That is a 22% yield.
This was not my best quality or best yield, but definitely up there for overall quality/yield.

Attachments

• IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 10
Callout to Massachusetts patients! Limited time only
If you need assistance in producing, or obtaining your own high quality shatter.. send me a private message or u can download the wickr app (safe messaging app) and message me @ deeppurple1987