What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hello from NYS north country

Sun&Soil

That's awesome dude, I'm actually a fellow surveyor too! Love those plants. What do you run for soil in those raised beds? @Sun&Soil
I add some peatmoss to my native soil when building the beds. From then on it's just top dressing with homespun compost and worm castings, occasionaly a few bags of Coast of Main compost when I haven't produced enough compost for all of my beds.

I make sure and leave my rootballs and avoid disturbing the soil once it is established.

In the Fall I let my grass grow longer then normal and then mulch my hardwood leaves with the mower blowing it into a pile that gets added to the top of the beds before the snow falls.

One last thing, I sprinkle hardwood ash on top of the snow every winter as well.

Sun&Soil

@Sun&Soil I appreciate that, it was very comprehensive answer! I'm thinking of doing a similar model maybe with some cover crops too.

I've seen alot of people doing cover crops and having good success, but I've never seen the need personally. I like the looks of the bare soil. It is also good therapy for my ocd keeping it weedfree. :ROFLMAO:

20220727_232634.jpg

I do get the occasional fungi bloom though if that counts for a cover crop.

I forgot to mention in my last post, I also add perlite in with the original build.

Greenest of grows Bud. Tag me if you post anything about your upcoming season.

mike-or-ozzy

I add some peatmoss to my native soil when building the beds. From then on it's just top dressing with homespun compost and worm castings, occasionaly a few bags of Coast of Main compost when I haven't produced enough compost for all of my beds.

I make sure and leave my rootballs and avoid disturbing the soil once it is established.

In the Fall I let my grass grow longer then normal and then mulch my hardwood leaves with the mower blowing it into a pile that gets added to the top of the beds before the snow falls.

One last thing, I sprinkle hardwood ash on top of the snow every winter as well.

I've been drenching my soil right after harvest outdoors in 10 gallon pots with Lacto B, at 1 tsp/gallon, multiple time until the freeze hits, at 47 lat in vt. In the spring the root ball will pull out without a struggle. Broke down roots = good food.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Also anyone plan on growing in raised beds? If so what are your thoughts on a good size for a 6 plant garden?
4-800 gallons of media per plant works well for me. about 1000 square feet of garden for 6 jumbos that don't throw shade on each other...

these 12 were packed into 1000 square feet last year and they shaded each other, clones went in the ground mid june and harvested end of sept thru mid oct. Ontario county.

be a.JPG

after flapping the soil with a moldboard plow many passes with a rotary plow prepares the bed for minerals and aeration material.

zero compost applied to this patch, just tested animal by products and minerals to surpass even Slownickle's numbers for this dry farmed, rain water only patch.

20230530_183252.jpg

After soil testing this bed got about 500 #s of minerals, Aragonite, Gypsum, Chicken manure, cow meat and bone meal, Alfalfa, pig bone meal, triple super phosphate, fish meal, potassium sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate and borax spread evenly.

visit Friendly Blends and lakeside organics for all your Organic nutes and minerals...

20230610_131122.jpg

many bags of rice hulls and perlite and the soil is ready to be rotary plowed again and raked into mounds.

20230610_133225.jpg

clones went in mid june. OG Kush, Chem 91/SKVA, '92 OG, Chem D, Double OG Chem, ECSD, SFV OGK, White Truffle, Cherry Pie, Grapefruit, Lemon Cherry Gelato, GG#4,

be beds.png

top dressed with more Calcium(s) and then the rains started and never seemed to quit, tall mounds are your friend in our wet upstate conditions...

be beds.jpg

mid july they are over my head. Double OG Chem

be doc veg me behind.png

sept 28th

BE DOC  Levitate 9.28.23.JPG

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Cherry Pie

BE Cherry Pie.JPG

Chem D 10-18-23
be chem d 10.18.23.JPG

White Truffle

be wt truffle 10-18-23.JPG

Double OG Chem

be doc 15 10.18.23.JPG

Chem 91 / SKVA

Chem 91 : SKVA10.28.23.JPG

this is how to legal 12 Bro, if anyone wants these kind of results in the FLX area I'm available for consultation and premium genetics that finish in time. #ChunkysLegalTwelve

BE pitty 9.28.23 copy.JPG

DSC_3092 copy.JPG

LostTribe

Premium user
Cherry Pie

View attachment 18970172

Chem D 10-18-23
View attachment 18970173

White Truffle

View attachment 18970175

Double OG Chem

View attachment 18970176

Chem 91 / SKVA

View attachment 18970177

this is how to legal 12 Bro, if anyone wants these kind of results in the FLX area I'm available for consultation and premium genetics that finish in time. #ChunkysLegalTwelve

View attachment 18970179

View attachment 18970180
Dang, thats a ton, well a 1/4 ton of amendments!? Do you have to redo that every year or is it a one and done? Or just soil test and adjust? Hope I can try Outdoor some day. Need a better spot.

What does the Double OG Chem smoke like? Looks big. Cherry pie also looks thick. Extremely clean and healthy run!

Dbelle

WHats up there fellas! Times have sure changed, Isn't this great? I'm over around NYC and man it feels nice not having to peak out your window blinds every time you here a car door slam.

I see great outdoor pics and the plants look beautiful. It's got me thinking I should pack up and move out of this city. I've been indoor for most of my life except for a few years I spent out in Oregon.

Outdoor is so much more pleasant in my opinion. The sun, the breeze damn i miss that.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Dang, thats a ton, well a 1/4 ton of amendments!? Do you have to redo that every year or is it a one and done? Or just soil test and adjust? Hope I can try Outdoor some day. Need a better spot.

What does the Double OG Chem smoke like? Looks big. Cherry pie also looks thick. Extremely clean and healthy run!
soil test and adjust each season, or you could do it one and done but many minerals rinse out easy while others persist...I top dress for nutrition during the season also, it rains more than you want here so liquid feeds are out unless you want to drown yur gear. each season you always need calcium, K, P, N, and some micros and micro micros put down. but those beds are huge and I'd bet they would throw nice buds for a few seasons...

DOC 15 smokes like the best weed you never had, very strong, loud nose, expando and everyone coughs like crazy then when the joint comes back around they are already uncomfortably high and do this...

DRake hand copy.png

Beautiful Flowers :) love your dogs
thanks, not mine though they live with my friend where the grow is...
That's an impressive garden! I've always wanted to grow that skunk va 91 cut. What one was your favorite?@Chunkypigs

the double og chem 15, I can smoke it all day, has an energy behind it that is great. TK is another like that this season.

Chunkypigs how did the 91 and the D come out ? how did they fair with mold ?

they did great, look at the harvest shots above, ecsd and GG#4 were hit the worst but they needed more defo and the plants had a bit too much shade from trees and planted too close. retarded amount of flowers to deal with regardless.

Last edited: