What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hello from NYS north country

jroadytoady

I'm going to be growing some csi humbolt gear (sour giesel and lemon party x bubblegum) and thinking about maybe purple satellite bread by vermontman. Any recommendations from fellow new Yorkers? @jroadytoady
We'll be running Purple Satellite, Green Mountain Grape X2, Zacatecas Tribute, Caprichosa Thai, Chrystal Candy F1 Fast version for my photoperiods...

Plus 6 autoflowers that should finish before the 6 photos start flowering... this way we get 12 plants finished outdoors by starting autos May 1st indoors :)

Also anyone plan on growing in raised beds? If so what are your thoughts on a good size for a 6 plant garden?
I have regular nursery raised beds for different plants. But for growing nature's medicine, and fewer than say two dozen, I'd use 5 gallon black fabric grow bags with handles from A.M. Leonard. You want roots and air on tops to be 77 to 86 degrees F for optimum growth (there are exceptions). You turn the bags 90 degrees each day, so all sides get equal light. Like they do with some valuable plants in pots at the National Arboretum when they're outside for the season. You bring the bags inside for a hailstorm or cold night or other weather insult. You're their daddy and want best results.

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
Also anyone plan on growing in raised beds?
if your soil sucks raised beds work well

If so what are your thoughts on a good size for a 6 plant garden?
I will be putting mine in the ground but will be building a 20 foot by 40 foot greenhouse

I like to grow big plants as we can grow only six

DSCN7496b.jpg

six plants the one in the center is a single Island Sweet Skunk cross

in the ground will grow them big :)

S_M

Last edited:

Sun&Soil

20230910_203244.jpg

Welcome from the fingerlakes area!

I drop seed directly in the ground the first week of June and often produce 10-12 footers. I've never found a need to start them early indoors, but that's just me..lazy.

I've seen some nice outdoor plants up there in the north country. I ran across five giants in the middle of a power line ROW while doing some surveying up there. I felt horrible when the clearing crew came behind me and wiped them out.

Cheers my fellow NY growers!

Sun&Soil

ground here is too cold for that sadly :( it is the fall here that kills me

View attachment 18969486

MoRockin peanut kush did well for being hard bud last fall

grow well folks

S_M
I'm lucky and get the weather patterns coming across the Great Lakes down here.

We do struggle in the Fall though and I go into every outdoor grow expecting a 30 percent loss to pm, br, and rust. It's generally the north face of the plant that gets sacrificed.

Last year I grew a cap junky x Rosetta Stone by Brothers Grimm that went about 99 percent unscathed from the crappy Fall. I will try it again and see if it was a fluke.

View attachment 18969475

Welcome from the fingerlakes area!

I drop seed directly in the ground the first week of June and often produce 10-12 footers. I've never found a need to start them early indoors, but that's just me..lazy.

I've seen some nice outdoor plants up there in the north country. I ran across five giants in the middle of a power line ROW while doing some surveying up there. I felt horrible when the clearing crew came behind me and wiped them out.

Cheers my fellow NY growers!
That's awesome dude, I'm actually a fellow surveyor too! Love those plants. What do you run for soil in those raised beds? @Sun&Soil

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Great to know - was just reading through your Blueberry trial thread last night :) @Lester Beans

The Blueberry Trials needs to get back under way. It didn't go exactly as planned and I will be finishing it with a side by side of blueberry genetics.

I'm going to start a thread for upstate New Yorkers as there seem to be way more than I thought on here. Glad to see you all!