What's new

heady's maine adventure: gavitas, blumats, and the wicked lobstah soil mix

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
aphotic has been asking me about how i keep my bonsai moms, so i thought i'd share my response in my thread here so others can check it out/i can reference it later.

i do keep bonsai moms, i have for years. it's out of necessity. i would never recommend it over normal sized moms, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

if i take a two cuts from the same plant, but one cut comes from the bonsai mom and one comes from an 18" plant in veg, the bonsai mom cut will take longer to root and longer to take off after transplanting.

but, with extremely limited real estate in the garden, i choose to keep bonsai moms so i can have a larger genetic library. it's a nightmare doing big seed hunts and trying to keep everything backed up!

if i had the space i'd keep my moms in minimum 5 gallon containers.

i've always wanted to try grafting several varieties onto one root stock for a multi-mom, as a possible alternative for saving space.

as for the bonsai moms, i started with oldtimer's tech, but i've since moved away from his procedure.

i am able to keep fresh green growth by careful and intentional pruning. i can dictate the shape and direction of new growth by selectively pruning. i follow the common tree pruning advice and try never to remove more than 1/3 of the plant at a time.

this way i am able to entirely refresh the plant every few months. thats how i manage woody growth.

to avoid root pruning, i follow the general advice that a happy plant has as much above the soil as below. once the vegetation starts to grow larger than the container, i immediately notice fussiness---leaf drop, wilting, deficiencies, lockouts, etc. when the plant is at 110% the size of the container, i prune it back to about 75%.

finally, i prune off anything that's not gonna end up being good cutting material. for example, any branches that start to grow down. i hate cuts with curved stems. i shape the bonsai moms so that all my fresh growth is coming from the top of a branch, and will grow straight up to the light. kinda like a grape vine is prepped in the spring.

we've been keepin them in 1/2 gallon grow bags lollll

definitely not ideal.

i think rigid plastic nursery pots might be best. root training pots might be an issue when it's maintenance time if you can't easily slip the container on and off.

i don't root prune the bonsai moms but every couple months they've consumed enough soil that i've got a few new inches of space in the container. rather than top dress, which would quickly swallow up my tiny trunks, i carefully slip the entire root ball out of the container and fill the bottom with a few inches of soil, then replace the root ball on top of that.

i always take that opportunity to refresh the top dress, so i add some malted barley and neem cake and my home made castings, and top it off with a nice mulch layer.

hand watering is definitely a PITA. even two days between waterings is dangerous. the blumats definitely kick ass and make life way better.

if you can't do that then the perlite wicking bed is worth a shot! drought is the biggest risk of failure when keeping a plant in a small container for way longer than it wants to be there.

HTH!

here's some diagrams i drew up to illustrate:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

the timeline will obvi vary greatly depending on your growing style and environment.

not sure why i added the extra "i" in that last one haha :biglaugh:

SourDank

Veteran
Let me as you this heady. if space is an issue for you, why not just take a cut from your vegging girls and not bother with moms? Just curious to your thought process there brother

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
Let me as you this heady. if space is an issue for you, why not just take a cut from your vegging girls and not bother with moms?

i hope you don't mind if i just requote this. i think it's answering the same question.

i do keep bonsai moms, i have for years. it's out of necessity. i would never recommend it over normal sized moms, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

if i take a two cuts from the same plant, but one cut comes from the bonsai mom and one comes from an 18" plant in veg, the bonsai mom cut will take longer to root and longer to take off after transplanting.

but, with extremely limited real estate in the garden, i choose to keep bonsai moms so i can have a larger genetic library. it's a nightmare doing big seed hunts and trying to keep everything backed up!

if i had the space i'd keep my moms in minimum 5 gallon containers.

i've always wanted to try grafting several varieties onto one root stock for a multi-mom, as a possible alternative for saving space.

the bonsai's are the back ups. anytime i can take cuts from veg i prefer to. but with all the variety and seed hunting we do in our relatively small garden there's a lot more to keep backed up than can fit in veg at any one time.

Aphotic

Bonsaii

Bonsaii

Thank you heady, that's exactly what I needed!

I'm kinda bummed I was planning on working on transferring all my moms to bonsai this week, but with my fungus gnat epidemic, I put it on hold, on a brighter note I unknowingly transferred predator mites into my grow rooms, and are currently kicking some major ass, my beds are almost clear of larvae, fingers crossed.

About grafting several strains onto one super mom. We had a conversation about this on another thread, and I had mentioned genetic information being exchanged. While normally this is restricted to the graft site, every so often it will spread, and you will end up with a chimera, if those grafted branches are the only backup of those genetics you have you can lose them, not to mention the risk of spreading disease between strains. I've been searching for the research paper where I read about the genetic mixing, but I save so many such papers on multiple devices, it's taking me a while to find. As soon as I find it I'll send you the link. I've seen serveral grafted apple trees that have turned chimera, it's actually pretty cool. With all that being said, I plan on making a grafted mother, but will be sure to have backups.

What are you using light wise for your moms? Oldtimer mentionec using shop lights to keep his, this seems pretty attractive to me, as I don't require many cuttings from any individual strain at any one time. I've been keeping them under 600mhs, and there's just too much growth, I spend a great deal of time pruning them every other week.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
we keep them in 8 sqft under a few hundred watts of fluoro. this keeps them alive but not exactly thriving.

as i mentioned before the cuts off the bonsai moms under insufficient lighting take longer to root and longer to take off once transplanted than the same genetic material cut from 18" plants in 10 gallon containers happy in veg.

it's a back up genetic library to be used in case of emergency.

if we want to put something back into rotation, we usually take a cut from the library, get it nice a healthy in veg, then take more cuts off that plant.

a few times a year we sit down to a somber culling ceremony. anything subpar is obviously cut first, but we also make head-to-head considerations with stuff that fills a similar niche. for example we culled the chemx we had last year when we found the white jeep. both have a strong chem high but the jeep grows a thousand times better.

SourDank

Veteran
I think I get it. I was just curious because I have limited space as well so that's why I don't keep moms and just take cuts of cuts. Never usually have any issues, and the rare time one doesn't root I take one from the plant in bloom and since it's only wk 1-2 it's still no issue. But I guess the time it doesn't root that way either I'll be really sad to lose a lady.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I think I get it. I was just curious because I have limited space as well so that's why I don't keep moms and just take cuts of cuts. Never usually have any issues, and the rare time one doesn't root I take one from the plant in bloom and since it's only wk 1-2 it's still no issue. But I guess the time it doesn't root that way either I'll be really sad to lose a lady.

That's about what I do as well. If push came to absolute shove then I would try one last reveg Hail Mary. :2cents:

Hopefully good cuts are spread around your circle though so in the worst case a good buddy would still have a cut for you?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran

oh yea we have lost some gems in the shuffle. in the last year and a half i've revegged maybe half a dozen plants and rooted cuts from even late flower more times than i care to admit :biglaugh:

we do our best but sometimes things slip through the cracks or, worse, fate takes them from us despite our best efforts.

the little bonsai library is an attempt to hedge our bets. :watchplant:

SourDank

Veteran
oh yea we have lost some gems in the shuffle. in the last year and a half i've revegged maybe half a dozen plants and rooted cuts from even late flower more times than i care to admit :biglaugh:

we do our best but sometimes things slip through the cracks or, worse, fate takes them from us despite our best efforts.

the little bonsai library is an attempt to hedge our bets. :watchplant:

That's about what I do as well. If push came to absolute shove then I would try one last reveg Hail Mary. :2cents:

Hopefully good cuts are spread around your circle though so in the worst case a good buddy would still have a cut for you?
Lol I absolutely HATE when im banking on a reveg for a prized lady, nothing is more stressful IMO. I sit there willing the girl to grow, fearing if I take my eyes off her she'll shrivel up and die on me. Especially if she's really special.

And I definitely try to back my girls up with friends, it's just a little tougher for me because I don't have anyone very close by (driving distance) so if I'm not on top of my game and don't get it out to someone quickly enough disaster can strike :cry: makes me wanna take your approach heady n make a couple bonsai momma's myself

Aphotic

we keep them in 8 sqft under a few hundred watts of fluoro. this keeps them alive but not exactly thriving.

as i mentioned before the cuts off the bonsai moms under insufficient lighting take longer to root and longer to take off once transplanted than the same genetic material cut from 18" plants in 10 gallon containers happy in veg.

it's a back up genetic library to be used in case of emergency.

if we want to put something back into rotation, we usually take a cut from the library, get it nice a healthy in veg, then take more cuts off that plant.

a few times a year we sit down to a somber culling ceremony. anything subpar is obviously cut first, but we also make head-to-head considerations with stuff that fills a similar niche. for example we culled the chemx we had last year when we found the white jeep. both have a strong chem high but the jeep grows a thousand times better.

I'm guessing ho T5s, I'm ok with things taking a little longer, I'm always running behind anyways. If at some point you get more room I highly recommend the fabric pots inside milk crates, that will give you 8-9 gallons per plant, and each plant only takes up a little over a square foot of space, the crates have built in handles. You can pack them tightly together and the crates provide airspace between pots, and I keep the plants pruned to fit inside the pots footprint. Ideally if I had more space I'd stick with that.

another option that I thought of just of just now, would be to use the metal storage racks, like you see in restaurants, that way you could have 3-4 levels of plants, and just mount the t5s under each shelf. With my low ceilings I could triple the amount of mothers my room could hold.

Here's the Wikipedia entry for Chimeras, grafting can create "graft hybrids", but they can only be propagated through cloning, so they're not considered a true hybrid, if you try to sexually reproduce the hybrids they will revert to the closest parent.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)#Plants

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I started a Bonzai space in the last few months and I am so glad I did! I kept cloning off of vegging plants for over 10 years and only lost one cut, Grape God, that I'm still hating today. If anything, having the Bonzais around is a major piece of mind. It's lowered my stress level tons! Lol

I got them in a 4x2x8 space and need to get one of those shelves Aphotic just mentioned. That way I can throw my cloners on it.

Guess I'm rambling! :biglaugh:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
alright folks, i'm sad to say it's time to close this chapter in heady's story. my time in maine has been an incredible adventure, but once again lyfe has different plans, and i'm going with the flow.

the garden grows on. when we started the build out last year, my garden partner was a total noob, never grown canna, but the guy is a wicked fast learner, and these days grows some of the best herb around! he's taken full responsibility for the garden and our patients, and continues to produce clean meds of the highest quality. the pheno hunting we've done is backed up and some of our cuts are growing in others' gardens.

i got him trained up on the rosin press too. that big dake with the timewizard_greyfox platens is staying with the garden. i built myself another HMK press but i'll definitely miss that glorious squish machine!

i made some great friends up there. it was super awesome having an IRL group of gromies to talk shop and sesh with. i'll miss hanging out but at least we can stay in touch on here and IG.

it's a shame that prohibition is such an obstacle to that kind of socializing in less friendly states. it gets me really pissed off and ranty to think of all of my peers that should be networking and collaborating and creating but instead are isolated and paranoid and antisocial.

i'm reunited with my family in another med state, although a much less progressive one. regardless of the legitimacy of my medical need, i am not protected here, so i won't be able to share with the same brazen freedom i was afforded in maine.

i intend to continue treating myself, so i think i'll create a hang out thread so i can still nerd out and talk shop with my friends here.

thanks to everyone for the amazing support and encouragement throughout this thread! i loved sharing the adventure with you all, and i am super grateful for the mistakes and missteps avoided thanks to the sage wisdom and advice offered so generously from our experienced members! the accumulated expertise here is invaluable.

on to the next adventure!

lazy

13734365_1633993936915387_1229371249_n.jpg

cush x white lotus

13725748_267511920298632_1436256829_n.jpg

LUIG13

13741320_939474032844988_289245070_n.jpg

13731393_1356110617750841_551553463_n.jpg

13706874_954927327949557_770107307_n.jpg

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
On to bigger and better things then :yes: I hope it all pans out for you, I'm sure it will.

No matter what though, don't disappear and become a stranger.

:tiphat:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best in your upcoming endeavours Heady! Will contine to follow along here on ic and ig.