What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Headband

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
breeders are hype...if you have pics post and lets not talk shop...lets look at the ladies...theres quite a few and all grown different so lets go down that road instead of the inept one...

but for arguments sake.....
I'll agree their not exactly Super tops but were talkin about hybrids made in early 90's?.......91 Chem right?....
But I guess we all don;t have the pallet or experience to make our own judgment calls on these strains...or could relate them to strains we smoked before there were these strains......heh....eerrr..k...
Theres no Elites...its just weed n plants...some different and better qualities than the other for each person they effect and how their grown being a huge aspect of all of it......
now how your gana relate that to every strain and everybody and still make a sales pitch......well good luck...
cause if this aint that..than that aint this and who knows wtf anyones talkin about...which is usually how these threads run.....
More Walk less Talk...show some pics of Plants please...I'd love to compare rather than bicker about he said she said shit...
Ive got more pics to come...and I thought the Male HBand shown that was from s1 seed showed a great example of teh Indica Phenos found within the lines...But guess were not talkin Spectrum of Form in these phenos....
btw I know the HBand Im posting on looks very lanky OG bud type but if you think its OG your nuts....Its strait Diesel..not Musky-Woody-Spiced or not..Its a very clean Diesel fuel with a mild Chem taste but Ive had other Chems that were way more Chem..This is not....
Its not SourD as we just harvested a SourD and pics to show.....more to come as Ive got better pics of HBand and my last run was fuxord cause I moved during its bloom phase..
FOE20

Attachments

• SourDIBLfulll1_04-14-09.jpg
    SourDIBLfulll1_04-14-09.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 38
  • SourDIBLfulll2_04-14-09.jpg
    SourDIBLfulll2_04-14-09.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 31
  • SourDIBLhead1mac_04-14-09.jpg
    SourDIBLhead1mac_04-14-09.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 39

ElGato

Veteran
i've grown several different OG's and they all have that "OG" taste , smells and similar growth patterns, bud formation etc etc..
OG kush's arent Musky-Woody-Spiced or not, they are lemmony fuelly just like the loompa HB...not like bubba kush or LA pure or any of the bubba-esque type kush's

the Loompa HB is more to the fuelly/dieselly side of the OG family but all the OG tastes are there, the lemmon sour
i've got a jar of the Poison OG here and it's the same taste..but stronger and more to the sweeter side...the HB is more potent tho

either way it's my current fave lol..shit is bomb!!!
and i'm just greatfull to have this cut:D as it's right up there with chemD for potency but with a better taste imho

mj

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Gato...Im not tryin to argue it with ya but sounds like we grow it with different methods or nutes maybe?...
Ive never got any Lemon or OG type traits and Ive grown OG, bubba and Pure bla bla...where we goin with this?...heheh..
I use PBPro and a few other things...use very low amounts and grow in Coco...
max PPM@350-500 in Heavy Bloom....I grow MED tho..not yield....
...so Im lost on this...I got this direct from Loompa's folk along with PureKush, p98Bubba, and umm ahh 3lbs Heri...But I lost the Heri...anyway its all good...fuk it Im not tryin to prove shit here...I just wana see what everyones talkin about....Ive got mine ya know....hell heres Bubba, Pure, Pink, and the HBand Ive got finishing up thats beat to shit.,.lol..its just weed tho...and all good to me...
All I know is I smoked and held Kush before there was any OG's...so I compare it all to that...and I know Kush very well..but Headband, Diesel, ChemD isnt kush IMO if thats the point...
FOE20

Attachments

• BubbaMacro_04-11-09.jpg
    BubbaMacro_04-11-09.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 33
  • BubbaKsidebud_04-11-09.jpg
    BubbaKsidebud_04-11-09.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 28
  • PurenPinkKushVeg_04-09-09.jpg
    PurenPinkKushVeg_04-09-09.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 32
  • HBandinBloom1_04-09-09.jpg
    HBandinBloom1_04-09-09.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 36

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
all hype aside ,the sd og combination just "wipes the floor" in lasting potency (maby its the dog) ,of the stuff ive been growing with in the past few years except Bubba.Which is neck and neck,but a different buzz.I can litterally be high all nite till bed on 2 or 3 snaps...that......just amazes me...

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wouldnt it be easier to keep rumors from spreading if the cuts were wide spread and well known.

Crush

If it's the "best and most-sought after in Humboldt County",then they're simply bored in Humboldt County.

Ouch! Og's might take offense to that hehe..

That place is probably amongst the top spot for weed in the world where the most elite clones come through. People say when even considering Amsterdam, as soon as they leave their state of California, the weed gets worse regardless of where they go.

People are saying first hand what Headband is all about. Even on this very thread:

Elgato:

i've got a jar of the Poison OG here and it's the same taste..but stronger and more to the sweeter side...the HB is more potent tho

either way it's my current fave lol..shit is bomb!!!
and i'm just greatfull to have this cut as it's right up there with chemD for potency but with a better taste imho

When there is a group of people all coming forth and saying that there's something special, it shouldn't be ignored.

REZDOG

Veteran
I always back up my Mothers in multiple places,when possible.
Shantibaba taught me that,way back when.
Once,I had to pay,to get a Mom back,from a "friend" of mine that I'd given the clone to,to try and help him out. I lost the clone,and he charged me for a replacement,because he owed me from another business deal. Since then,his luck's been in the shitter,and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire,after his little performance.
As to "being a man who sees locks on open doors",I can only reply with this little factoid:
I've "opened more doors",and acquired more elite/nyah-nyah-you-can't-get-this Clone Moms than,probably, anyone else alive.
In almost twenty years of growing marijuana,the list of outstanding Moms I've owned and grown is enviable,by anybody's standards.
That said,if the current "focus" is on "Headband",then I feel kinda' sorry for people on that "elite" chase.
I stand by what I said-NorCal must be bored as stones to be wasting time chasing that old clone,when,generally,legit OG Kushes like SFV,will thump "headband",any day of the week,as will Sour D/OG hybrids.
Cali's suffering from a glut of "named" clones that simply....aren't.
The best way to find "elite" genetics is to buy the right genetics,and select accordingly.

Cheers!

Postscript:
As to Cali being the "source" for "elite" genetics,I'd argue that,to a good degree.
Maybe twenty years ago,but not now,by a long-shot.
The higher number of the most sought-after clones IN Cali....originated elsewhere.
Very elsewhere.
I know this because,for instance,years ago, a large box of genetics, before-then unavailable in Cali, were collected,& aimed in that direction.
These genetics went to some high-powered growers,Kahuna-grade,that were met in A'Damm by friends and myself,and told us about the sorry overall state of genetics in NorCal at the time. We decided to fix that "problem",and we did,in spades.
In that box were quite a few interesting clones,including C99 (My Heavy-Duty Pineapple Mom) KK's Strawberry Cough Clone,My Killer Queen Clone,and the ECSD Clone-among other things.
In the years following,I read,with mucho mirth,as the clones in the box were sometimes attributed (by other growers,as they spread) to Cali Origins.
Even,much to my amusement,the Original Suur Diesel Clone,being discussed as a "west coast sour d" cut.
Hence,the "ECSD" tag that I labeled the Sour D Clone with,(for the first time,in High Times) that's since become Indusrty Standard for the name.
....Once a plant is in Cali,the native pot growers tend to smoke too much and forget where their genetics originated.
No big deal,but let's not get it permanently twisted,is all.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Oledad420

I always back up my Mothers in multiple places,when possible.
Shantibaba taught me that,way back when.
Once,I had to pay,to get a Mom back,from a "friend" of mine that I'd given the clone to,to try and help him out. I lost the clone,and he charged me for a replacement,because he owed me from another business deal. Since then,his luck's been in the shitter,and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire,after his little performance.
As to "being a man who sees locks on open doors",I can only reply with this little factoid:
I've "opened more doors",and acquired more elite/nyah-nyah-you-can't-get-this Clone Moms than,probably, anyone else alive.
In almost twenty years of growing marijuana,the list of outstanding Moms I've owned and grown is enviable,by anybody's standards.
That said,if the current "focus" is on "Headband",then I feel kinda' sorry for people on that "elite" chase.
I stand by what I said-NorCal must be bored as stones to be wasting time chasing that old clone,when,generally,legit OG Kushes like SFV,will thump "headband",any day of the week,as will Sour D/OG hybrids.
Cali's suffering from a glut of "named" clones that simply....aren't.
The best way to find "elite" genetics is to buy the right genetics,and select accordingly.

Cheers!

Postscript:
As to Cali being the "source" for "elite" genetics,I'd argue that,to a good degree.
Maybe twenty years ago,but not now,by a long-shot.
The higher number of the most sought-after clones IN Cali....originated elsewhere.
Very elsewhere.
I know this because,for instance,years ago, a large box of genetics, before-then unavailable in Cali, were collected,& aimed in that direction.
These genetics went to some high-powered growers,Kahuna-grade,that were met in A'Damm by friends and myself,and told us about the sorry overall state of genetics in NorCal at the time. We decided to fix that "problem",and we did,in spades.
In that box were quite a few interesting clones,including C99 (My Heavy-Duty Pineapple Mom) KK's Strawberry Cough Clone,My Killer Queen Clone,and the ECSD Clone-among other things.
In the years following,I read,with mucho mirth,as the clones in the box were sometimes attributed (by other growers,as they spread) to Cali Origins.
Even,much to my amusement,the Original Suur Diesel Clone,being discussed as a "west coast sour d" cut.
Hence,the "ECSD" tag that I labeled the Sour D Clone with,(for the first time,in High Times) that's since become Indusrty Standard for the name.
....Once a plant is in Cali,the native pot growers tend to smoke too much and forget where their genetics originated.
No big deal,but let's not get it permanently twisted,is all.

Cheers!

well said Rez. I have to agree headband doesnt even make my top 5, the Chem D clone and my SDv3 mom blow that old tired headband cut out of the water....and what is this BS about headband being something new, it's been around for a long ass time.

Z

Zeinth

warmke

warmke

The studies of H. E. Warmke et al. (1942-1944) seem to indicate that colchicine raised drug levels in Cannabis. It is unfortunate that Warmke was unaware of the actual psychoactive ingredients of Cannabis and was therefore unable to extract THC. His crude acetone extract and archaic techniques of bioassay using killifish and small freshwater crustaceans are far from conclusive. He was, however, able to produce both triploid and tetraploid strains of Cannabis with up to twice the potency of dip- bid strains (in their ability to kill small aquatic organisms). The aim of his research was to "produce a strain of hemp with materially reduced marijuana content" and his results indicated that polyploidy raised the potency of Cannabis without any apparent increase in fiber quality or yield.

Warmke's work with polyploids shed light on the nature of sexual determination in Cannabis. He also illustrated that potency is genetically determined by creating a lower potency strain of hemp through selective breeding with low potency parents. More recent research by A. I. Zhatov (1979) with fiber Cannabis showed that some economically valuable traits such as fiber quantity may be improved through polyploidy. Polyploids require more water and are usually more sensitive to changes in environment. Vegetative growth cycles are extended by up to 30-40% in polyploids. An extended vegetative period could delay the flowering of polyploid drug strains and interfere with the formation of floral clusters.

It would be difficult to determine if cannabinoid levels had been raised by polyploidy if polyploid plants were not able to mature fully in the favorable part of the season when cannabinoid production is promoted by plentiful light and warm temperatures. Greenhouses and artificial lighting can be used to extend the season and test polyploid strains. The height of tetraploid (4n) Cannabis in these experiments often exceeded the height of the original diploid plants by 25-30%. Tetraploids were intensely colored, with dark green leaves and stems and a well developed gross phenotype. Increased height and vigorous growth, as a rule, vanish in subsequent generations. Tetraploid plants often revert back to the diploid condition, making it difficult to support tetraploid populations. Frequent tests are performed to determine if ploidy is changing.

Triploid (3n) strains were formed with great difficulty by crossing artificially created tetraploids (4n) with dipbids (2n). Triploids proved to be inferior to both diploids and tetraploids in many cases. De Pasquale et al. (1979) conducted experiments with Cannabis which was treated with 0.25% and 0.50% solutions of colchicine at the primary meristem seven days after generation. Treated plants were slightly taller and possessed slightly larger leaves than the controls, Anoma- lies in leaf growth occurred in 20% and 39%, respectively, of the surviving treated plants. In the first group (0.25%) cannabinoid levels were highest in the plants without anomalies, and in the second group (0.50%) cannabinoid levels were highest in plants with anomalies.

Overall, treated plants showed a 166-250% increase in THC with respect to controls and a decrease of CBD (30-33%) and CBN (39-65%). CBD (cannabidiol) and CBN (cannabinol) are cannabinoids involved in the biosynthesis and degradation of THC. THC levels in the control plants were very low (less than 1%). Possibly colchicine or the resulting polyploidy interferes with cannabinoid biogenesis to favor THC. In treated plants with deformed leaf lamina, 90% of the cells are tetraploid (4n 40) and 10% diploid (2n 20). In treated plants without deformed lamina a few cells are tetraploid and the remainder are triploid or diploid.

The transformation of diploid plants to the tetraploid level inevitably results in the formation of a few plants with an unbalanced set of chromosomes (2n + 1, 2n - 1, etc.). These plants are called aneuploids. Aneuploids are inferior to polyploids in every economic respect. Aneuploid Cannabis is characterized by extremely small seeds. The weight of 1,000 seeds ranges from 7 to 9 grams (1/4 to 1/3 ounce). Under natural conditions diploid plants do not have such small seeds and average 14-19 grams (1/2- 2/3 ounce) per 1,000 (Zhatov 1979). Once again, little emphasis has been placed on the relationship between flower or resin production and polyploidy. Further research to determine the effect of polyploidy on these and other economically valuable traits of Cannabis is needed.

Colchicine is sold by laboratory supply houses, and breeders have used it to induce polyploldy in Cannabis. However, colchicine is poisonous, so special care is exercised by the breeder in any use of it. Many clandestine cultivators have started polyploid strains with colchicine. Except for changes in leaf shape and phyllotaxy, no out- standing characteristics have developed in these strains and potency seems unaffected. However, none of the strains have been examined to determine if they are actually polyploid or if they were merely treated with colchicine to no effect.

Seed treatment is the most effective and safest way to apply colchicine. * In this way, the entire plant growing from a colchicine-treated seed could be polyploid and if any colchicine exists at the end of the growing season the amount would be infinitesimal. Colchicine is nearly always lethal to Cannabis seeds, and in the treatment there is a very fine line between polyploidy and death. In other words, if 100 viable seeds are treated with colchicine and 40 of them germinate it is unlikely that the treatment induced polyploidy in any of the survivors. On the other hand, if 1,000 viable treated seeds give rise to 3 seedlings, the chances are better that they are polyploid since the treatment killed all of the seeds but those three.

It is still necessary to determine if the offspring are actually polyploid by microscopic examination. The work of Menzel (1964) presents us with a crude map of the chromosomes of Cannabis, Chromosomes 2-6 and 9 are distinguished by the length of each arm. Chromosome 1 is distinguished by a large knob on one end and a dark chromomere 1 micron from the knob. Chromosome 7 is extremely short and dense, and chromosome 8 is assumed to be the sex chromosome. In the future, chromosome *The word "safest" is used here as a relative term.

Colchicine has received recent media attention as a dangerous poison and while these accounts are probably a bit too lurid, the real dangers of exposure to coichicine have not been fully researched. The possibility of bodily harm exists and this is multiplied when breeders inexperienced in handling toxins use colchicine. Seed treatment might be safer than spraying a grown plant but the safest method of all is to not use colchicine. mapping will enable us to picture the location of the genes influencing the phenotype of Cannabis. This will enable geneticists to determine and manipulate the important characteristics contained in the gene pool. For each trait the number of genes in control will be known, which chromosomes carry them, and where they are located along those chromosomes.

All this was paid for by american taxpayers...

to make a cannabis plant that would breed with all cannabis plants to control all cannabis.

the result was some of the most potent strains ever made....all stolen from warmke in hawaii..the mob found out what warmke was doing...and knew this could be the end of cannabis....but it became the begining of SUPER CANNABIS!!!KONA GOLD AND OTHER SUPER STRAINS!!!

some where?? the most potent cannabis is growing....and yes Headband is very potent!!

REZDOG

Veteran
:D (Edited for mind-numbing content)[/i] :D

....All this was paid for by american taxpayers...

to make a cannabis plant that would breed with all cannabis plants to control all cannabis.

the result was some of the most potent strains ever made....all stolen from warmke in hawaii..the mob found out what warmke was doing...and knew this could be the end of cannabis....but it became the begining of SUPER CANNABIS!!!KONA GOLD AND OTHER SUPER STRAINS!!!

Take off....your tinfoil helmet.
The voices will stop,and you'll be okay when you get some sleep. :smile:

N

Nathindica

rez. holly balls. that little box of clones you describes sounds, well... awesome. especially that heavy duty pineapple c-99. pineapple is absolutely my favorite fruit and the thought of having knock out potency with a luscious pineapple aroma-flavor just makes me.... well. yeh.

next time you smoke some of that... think of good ole' nathindica at icmag.

norcalkell

I picked up some headband clones from GOODKARMA and I'm mothering them. I'll be taking cutting this weekend. If I posted a photo of her in the mom Veg stage could you tell if SHE was headband??

mistaman

Ok I did find a location for the clone which is easily attainable by those in California:

http://www.goodkarmagrowers.com/clonemenu.html

Why can't someone like Rez Dawg just get some clones, induce nanners on them, and just fem some seeds for the public. They could be ready in 90 days.

It's ok if there's different pheno types or non stability, we'll get 1-2 keepers out of 15 seeds. No crosses with other strains please - that's for us to do etc.

This is just so simple to me. It's the only way to improve on the strain and move things forward. There's so many here on the forum that have access to the Headband clone.

lol . i heard this is a hell's angels cut

someone has already made seeds with the daywrecker/underdawg/diesel #1/original headband diesel (chemdawg 91xmass ss x nl)

try Underdawg #1 (UnderDawg X UnderDawg-SS/Afghani#1) and Super Star Dawg ((Mass Super Skunk X Star Dawg)

a lot of the "elite" cuts are out there in seed form you just have to put your mind to finding them. nobody is going to tell you how on here it's a taboo subject because of the "competitive" nature of icmag's seed affiliates

Crush

I picked up some headband clones from GOODKARMA and I'm mothering them. I'll be taking cutting this weekend. If I posted a photo of her in the mom Veg stage could you tell if SHE was headband??

Wow that would be great! Please post them up!!!!

Also there's an EVENT coming up named after Headband in Santa Cruz:

sr_6978cbecc43556.jpg

superjoint

headband aint all that ..yes the one thats suppose to be the "kill" ..its just a glorified Diesel.. and i dont know to many people in humboldt that still fuck with that strain..mabey the club cats ,,it gets big outside..gets sticky and smells like every other Diesel cross... sits in jar and nobody wants it...its been around for yrs.. elite? come on

REZDOG

Veteran
So basically it wasn't headband.
The results from the hybrids were close enough-like I said,you guys are chasing an inferior clone,per se. Headband's all right, but only "elite" to a few that happen to be looking for article fodder for their lefty :D rags to dwell on.
Sour Diesel kicks its ass,so does Chemdog D,and #4,as well. So does SFV OG Kush,and Cinderella 99. I could go on,but why bother?
I see it like this: Dogs chase cars because they like to,there's no logic in it. Some people chase certain "elite" (ish) clones around....on the uneducated say-so of others. There's no logic in that,either,but you can't reason with them,any more than you can,with the dog.
I've said what I had to say.
....I didn't keep the "Headband" around after I was done with it,so take that for what you think it's worth.

Salut!

M

Mountain

The results from the hybrids were close enough-like I said,you guys are chasing an inferior clone,per se. Headband's all right, but only "elite" to a few that happen to be looking for article fodder for their lefty :D rags to dwell on.
Sour Diesel kicks its ass,so does Chemdog D,and #4,as well. So does SFV OG Kush,and Cinderella 99. I could go on,but why bother?
I see it like this: Dogs chase cars because they like to,there's no logic in it. Some people chase certain "elite" (ish) clones around....on the uneducated say-so of others. There's no logic in that,either,but you can't reason with them,any more than you can,with the dog.
I've said what I had to say.
....I didn't keep the "Headband" around after I was done with it,so take that for what you think it's worth.

Salut!
Never had Headband. Part of this whole 'elite' thing is personal preference regarding their taste, how the cannabinoid profile affects them, etc. That brings me to the inclusion of C99 in your elite list and am like WTF? C99 is OK for what it is and feel it really shines in breeding work but have a friend that just LOVES it and I'm like...really? I'm not an Abusive fan either. Sure it's potent buck lacks the flavor and fragrance that's important to me as part of the whole package. I ran J1 for a few years and NEVER got tired of it, virtually everyone loves it (crowd favorite) but probably would not make many, if any, 'elite' lists but my apple pie smoke...and yes I've had Chem 4 but not my daily cup of tea.