What's new

HASHISH ART (drawings and paintings)

Sava

Chamba, there are several tools that could help.
Photo Zoom Pro, Jacs Paint Shop, Bicubic step by step zoom.

Lithography by Louis Dupre,1825
Louis Dupre - Basilis Goudas

Basilis Goudas was the adjutant of Markos Botsaris.
Sam the Skunkman posted a painting of Markos Botsaris at page 2.
Both are heroes of the Greek Liberating War.
Paintings of these people decorate the classrooms of Greek schools ... Offcourse not with the hookah. You should see me dressed with these skirts in school trying to play a sketch. haha
-
Louis Dupre - Ioannis Logothetis , 1825 (Lithography)

-
Lithography by Stackelberg, 1825
Wealthy Greek at Early 19th Century

-
Character from the popular shadow-play.Well it was very popular in the past ...

The Character is the "Pasha"

This long pipe was used for Opium ? Don't know a lot about it.Please contribute.It's like the "Opium Smoker" in page 1.

-
Sam the Skunkman,
How does the hole in the back of the bong helps ? My Roor doesn't have one.Some people find it very weird that it does not have one.
Is the diffuser really worth ? I want to get one,but a friend said it's not a big thing.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

hashish production and use was widespread in Greece up until a hundred years ago ...what happened?....did the Church decide it was too Muslim and discouraged & banned it?

SamS.....for security reasons (I live in a country with extremely harsh cannabis laws) I wouldn't have a big glass piece in my house as they are hard to hide when there's a knock on the door....so I don't know much about glass bongs..but

as you mentioned excellent quality resin drips through most meshes...very fine meshes would clog up easily wouldn't they?....so perhaps an alternative idea would be to have no screen, instead a bong designed with a eg half inch diameter glass shallow bowl suspended/positioned/placed inside & just below the lip of the 1 inch diamenter down stem

the resin could be placed in the shallow glass bowl, fired up and the smoke would be drawn down through the bong as usual and there would be no screens to hassle with.....I wonder if that would work?..I'd imagine you would have to be gentle with the flame at first or the fine resin could blow away....but with the correct depth and shaped bowl I'm sure it could work better than mesh which has it's downsides

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
JimmyEatWorld,
It is a carburetor it is so no smoke is left in the bong to waste, instead with a little practice you can lift your finger off the hole and be sure to finish all the smoke and besides it is much easier to finish off a big hit on a bong with freash air on top of the smoke. I have bongs with and without carburetor holes and I prefer with. The diffuser seems to help a little to make the bubbles smaller. Some people prefer a bong with a carb some don't.

Chamba,
You need to move.
No a fine screen works great I have no problems with screens clogging, maybe because the screen gets hot and helps to vaporize the resin? Glass bowls without screens suck in my opinion because the resin sticks to the glass and dont fully melt or vaporize or even combust. If you like glass without screens use it, I know I don't.

-SamS

G

Have you ever tried full melt off of a hot metal pad, like one of HMK's vapour whip devices?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No I have not, but I did try dry sift in an old 60's glass oil pipe which as you may know heats the glass to melt and vaporize the resin, the flame never touches the resin, but it was not as good to me as a screen.

-SamS

Chamba,

The first ban of cannabis cultivation for hashish production in Greece was in 1890.But nobody cared and cultivation of cannabis continued.
The next ban was in 1920, but in 1922 the war at Asia Minor created a huge refugee wave to Greece.A lot of them smoked hashish,played/listened to rebetika music,which is strongly connected with hashish use.
Growing was a bit disrupted,but hashish use continued.
The next ban was in 1932 which was more drastic and following the upcoming fascist junta (1936-1941),hashish use was almost completely eradicated and went deep underground ...

But in Thessaloniki (Salonica) conditions were different.The city was always more tolerant.The population was a mix of Greeks,Turks,Jews,Armenians etc.

Here are 2 cart-postal from old Thessaloniki (before 1917):

Turkish Women's Loft :

-
Turkish Cafe:

-
SamS,
I should have asked you about the stem-bowl into one piece.I simply remove the bowl to get fresh air at the toke.

-

Anyone have any paintings/photos/whatever from the 'Stans ? (Uzbekistan,Turkmenistan,Afghanistan,Pakistan)
I would like to see some not-flexible-stems.

edit:
To the thread starter, the above pictures are photos,not drawings/paintings as the title suggests,so if you want i can remove them.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
That is tradition bong method to remove the bowl for fresh air, works fine with herb, but with resin I don't like it as much as my set up.

Photos are fine with me, the older the better.
-SamS

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
No I have not, but I did try dry sift in an old 60's glass oil pipe which as you may know heats the glass to melt and vaporize the resin, the flame never touches the resin, but it was not as good to me as a screen.

-SamS

for some reason vaporizing off of glass is terrible tasting compared to metal. those glass oil pipes are kinda lame.

Some more photos, from the Magnum Photo Agency.

Cafe at Crete,Greece 1964

From the book "Greek Portfolio" by Constantinos Manos. I love this book.

Cairo,Egypt 1987

Photo by Abbas. "Egypt.Islams 1987"

Iranian family near Meshed,Iran 1965.

Photo by Marilyn Silverstone.
From "Iran.The Shah's Legacy"

Sheik Abdullah Saraf (Hindu),1948.

Photo by Henri Cartier-Bresson.
From "India,Kashmir,Jammu 1948"

You can see more at www.magnumphotos.com , put the keyword "hookah". Check out page4,the US Ambassador at India,1963,enjoying a hookah.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

Chamba,
You need to move.
No a fine screen works great I have no problems with screens clogging, maybe because the screen gets hot and helps to vaporize the resin? Glass bowls without screens suck in my opinion because the resin sticks to the glass and dont fully melt or vaporize or even combust. If you like glass without screens use it, I know I don't.

it's not Singapore, but it's a long way from Amsterdam....

I've smoked just about every which way there is but now mostly smoke ganja jays or dry sifted resin with a long, thin, homemade bamboo pipe that has shallow mesh bowl...glass is clean and nice, but damned if I can't help but break or spill them daily

I just like thinking of different ways, new ideas, new designs or improvements and I'm not afraid to throw ideas out there for discussion...ha!

Henri Cartier-Bresson visited India several times.... and is one of the greatest photographers....the most amazing thing I heard about him was that he always composed each photo as he took the shot and never cropped a photo.

Last edited:

ilife

Nice photos for the thread JimmyEatWorld.
Everybody keep them coming.............

iLiFE

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Wow Jimmy, nostalgia would the word to describe herbal feelings after seeing those pics :yes:

It´s cool when you live in country that has such long & traditional history of our belowed erb´and y9ou make some research about the subject, just to find such gems as you posted :respect:

I mean, that not all are willin to do such research about this subject.

I feel like it would be my duty if Finland would have such history, but as we know, it´s just a dream when we are talking about Finland...

Please share more those pics if you found them, as it´s ok for thread starter too!

These are all very nice pictures. I'd definately want some of those on my wall as an original painting. Thank you all for posting these.

jim dankness

Sam_Skunkman said:
Some one must have a few more, how about from Mogul India, or Afghanistan?

hey sam, this is sort of tangental, but... i've seen a lot of weird stuff on the patterns of old afghan rugs over the years (poppies, tanks, helicopters, ak-47's!). have you ever seen any rugs with cannabis or canna-related motifs?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Sure I have seen Cannabis leaves and the symbol Ma on Chinese carpets made from hemp. But no, I never saw a carpet with Cannabis leaves woven in the design, I have seen textiles, I have many, but not old carpets, wool or silk carpets.

-SamS

Latest posts

Latest posts