What's new

HASHISH ART (drawings and paintings)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Does anyone have art of Hashish smokers?
Please post.

-SamS

Eunuchs Dream, Lecomte du Nouy 1874
"No passion had ever been more alive than that of the eunuch Cosrou for the slave girl Zélide." The painting is a mixture of Arabian fable, European caricature of the Middle East, and topographical observation. The artist visited Egypt several times, and behind the drug-induced vision is an accurate view of Cairo.

Servante du harem, Trouillebert 1874

"Hashish Smokers" . Lithograph. Daumier, 1845

The Opium Smoker
Jean-Jules-Antoine Lecomte du Noüy (1842-1923)
PRINT AVAILABLE

Reve d-Orient, Lecomte du Nouy

Emile Bernard, Fumeuse de Haschisch, 1900. Oil on canvas. Paris, Musée d'Orsay.

David Roberts Esq. in the Dress He Wore in Palestine, 1840, by Robert Scott Lauder (l803-1869).

The Entertainer
Otto Pilny

the Grea Bath
Jean-Leon Gerome

The Dance of the Almeh
Jean-Léon Gérôme (1824-1904)
Oil on panel, 1863
33 1/8 x 24 3/4 inches (84.3 x 63 cm)
Dayton Art Institute, Dayton
PRINT AVAILABLE

Stall at the Arms Bazaar at Constantinople 1865
Walter Gould

An Algerian and her Slave 1860
Ange Tissier

Harem Life
Juan Jimenez Y Martin

Girls of the Harem
Fabbio Fabbi

Last edited:
G

Can you be more clear on this as I just smoked some hash? I draw and paint ... sometimes while smoking hash (art of a hashish smoker) ... but I really shouldn't post pics of my pieces on a weed site ... Or perhaps you mean Collected Art from a Known Hashish Smoker? ... Or (and I think this is it) you want to see pics of drawings or paintings with people smoking hash as the subject?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I was hoping for the old classics but if you think your art is really great maybe it will become a classic?

-SamS

G

I don't think my "art" is anything but pictures I have drawn or painted ... I see your examples now (they didn't show to begin with ... a minute before your edit when I posted ... hence my confusion) Nice Pieces

Last edited:

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
i would post but all id be pulling would be more robert clarke images, props to ilife and sammy, i think i recognize some of both sets of those pics from hashish if im not mistaken.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Well the last one was in Clarkes book Hashish, but Mr Clarke borrowed the image from me! I have the original old print.

-SamS

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Loving the art work Sam. Thanks for posting them up. The Hash is my main reason for growing this wonderful plant.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
http://hookahjoes.com/art.html

Site with 18 drawings but I can't copy them to post. Anyone help me?

Another site:

http://www.hookahhookah.com/art.htm

It has all these:

Allumeuse de Narghilé by Jean-Léon Gérome
Translated title: The Teaser of the Narghile.
Alternative title: The Pipelighter.
c.1898
Oil on canvas
21 3/8 x 25 7/8 inches (54.6 x 66 cm)
Private collection
PRINT AVAILABLE

Another painting that deserves a mention is A Woman lighting a Narghile. A commentator noticed that there is a striking contrast between the nudity of the woman who carefully lights the narghile by the pool and others basking on the side of the pond, and a group of veiled women watching the scene, in the background, behind a hand-rail.

Bashi-Bazouk Chieftain, Jean-Leon Gerome, 1881
Finally, the artist who most represented narghile, is Jean-Léon Gérôme. The Bashi-Bazouk featured above was a chieftain of mercenary troops of the Ottoman Empire. The pleated skirt and light skin shows that this chieftain is of Balkan origin. These skirts are still worn today as ceremonial dress in the Greek military. Gerome's painting was so accurate in recording detail that scholars used them as ethnological records.

Ange Tissier, Une Algérienne

An Algerian woman and her slave (1860) features a woman, elegantly dressed in the old Turkish tradition, nonchalantly holding the hose of a narghile. She sits near a wooden table inlaid with mother-of-pearl and ebony.

Odalisque and Slave, Jean-Auguste Dominique Ingres 1839

Jean-Auguste Dominique Ingres creates an indolent atmosphere, an almost undressed woman, lies on a bed. In the foreground, to the right, discreetly stands a tiny narghile.

Women of Algiers in their Room, Eugene Delacroix, 1834, oil on canvas, 84 x 111 cm. Musée du Louvre, Paris.

Eugène Delacroix's painting Women in Algiers, makes use of rich and deep colours, fixed women sitting around a narghile.

Bashi-Bazouks singing , Jean-Leon Gerome, 1868 Oil on canvas
18 1/8 x 25 7/8 inches (46.3 x 66 cm)
Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore, USA
PRINT AVAILABLE

In the Western and Oriental imagination, water pipes appear as artistic artefacts. The Orientalist painters definitely had a taste for representing the Narghile. Here is a selection of works with Hookahs featured in them.

Rudolf Ottenfeld, Backgammon 1890

In July of 1798 Napoleon marched into Egypt with an army. He defeated the Turks at the battle of the Pyramids, stayed for a few weeks and then was driven out by the British. In the small amount of time that he was there he managed to change everything.

Following him came first a trickle and then a torrent of Westerners into the Near and Middle East. The artists and writers who were inspired by what they saw became known as the Orientalists. They travelled through Turkey, Iraq, Persia, Egypt, Lebanon, Palestine, Arabia and North Africa. With time they have changed the Western perception of the East and influenced generations of artists.

Last edited:

Perhaps

The Allumeuse de Narghilé by Jean-Léon Gérome is a print I would love to own and the one on the first site with the dog and the blue tiles is something else.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran

Jean-Léon Gérôme, Arnaut Blowing Smoke at His Dog, 1882. Lost. Photograph in Cabinet des Etampes, Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris: Gérôme, Oeuvres, XV, 5.
PRINT AVAILABLE

Jean-Léon Gérôme, The Harem Bath, 1889 Whereabouts unknown. Photograph in Cabinet des Etampes, Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris: Gérôme, Oeuvres, V, 5.
Alternative title: Harem Pool.
Oil on canvas
39 1/4 x 32 inches (100 x 81.3 cm)
Private collection
PRINT AVAILABLE

Last edited:

Rufid

Much appreciated Sam!

If you ever wish to regale us with some stories from the past,I'd definitley pull up a chair and a bong hit.

rastamonunika

Nice iLife

Nice iLife

Hey iLife those are beautiful! Your own creations or was it from another artist?

Wonderful detail, absolutely stunning! =)

enjoy in Joy
unika

bubbleman

Veteran
Great post sam, i have a bunch that i will have to dig up> Got most of em from chris bennet. I am definitly saving these.
give thanks

bubble man

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Chiefsmokingbud,
No, I bought mine at antique bookstores or on eBay.
Bubble Man,
I see Chris trying to outbid me on ebay from time to time.
If anyone knows where the paintings are or if there are prints available, please post the info.

-SamS

Last edited:

ilife

rastamonunika said:
Hey iLife those are beautiful! Your own creations or was it from another artist?

Wonderful detail, absolutely stunning! =)

enjoy in Joy
unika

They were painted by an older Italian lady in Amsterdam.

iLiFE

ilife

Smokers of the World

Smokers of the World

Here is another from the Smokers of the World Collection:

iLiFE