What's new

Has anyone here actually achieved 1 gram per watt?

blackone

Veteran
One thing I have found to be of great importance is "momentum". I'm growing in soil - and still havent perfected the transplanting timing.
If a vegging plant has been standing in the same pot- getting rootbound - for some time then it won't take off immediately when you transplant it to the flowering pot.
If on the other hand I transplant it to my largest vegging pot around 10 days before transplanting to the flowering pot then it will already be on a growth spurt and have a lot of fresh white roots ready to fill out the flowering container as soon as you transplant again - that's what I call momentum.
If I do it like that then I never see any "transplant shock".

I can keep a steady 400-450 g from my 600W unless I screw up the veg part - as said before it really is the most important.

Last edited:

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Cool thread!!! figured i'd contribute. My room took just over 4 crops before i had it dialed in perfect. I consistently achieve 2.0-2.5lb, per my one 1K hortilux..this fluxuation is directly atributed to the canopy and the style of growing. If i grow a large even canopy with multi cola plants I hit the upper end. Large plants also yeild high due to sheer cola size. Anything less then this, the garden sits in the lower end of the scale. My garden gentics dont change much so it's easy to see the results change.

C

Cozy Amnesia

yamaha_1fan said:
Time does play a role depending on what you are trying to accomplish. If I told you I got.65GPW and you told me you got 1GPW would you think your grow was better?
Yes, yes I would.

You veg for 2 months, I veg for two weeks. Now how do we decide which is the most effiecient grow?
Then why did you veg for only two weeks if you could have vegged longer?
The most efficient grow is the one the yeilds the most, period.

What if you could veg for 1 week and use your veg chamber for flowering?

Thinking about the logistics of this, that could be a really good idea! At first I thought that it would be impossible to keep it perpetual because things would get too confusing. But really it would make it simpler.

With a dual flower chamber and a mother chamber, you wouldn't have to worry about getting the flowering plants out of there before the vegged plants are too big or worry about different strains finishing at different times. And, of course, you'll get twice the harvests in the same amount of time. Hmmm....

What if I grower A runs an 8 week strain and grower B runs a 12 week strain?
Then the 8 week strain is more efficient with respect to time.

I posted about this a long time. GPW is not an effective method of comparing one growers harvest to another growers harvest as it doesnt account for time in flower or veg or TOTAL energy used.

GPW is simply saying, hey I yielded X amount using X amount of lighting.

Certainly in YOUR own environment, GPW can be used to compare previous harvests to current harvests

I agree there, that GPW is good for comparing a single harvest to another single harvest (and that's all I ever wanted to compare when starting this thread, as I'm about to finish my finish my first grow). But if you wanted to compare multiple harvests over a period of time to another grower's harvests, then GPW divided by months or years or whatever would be a lot more useful.

Think about it this way -- grams per watt is like the grow's "displacement" (efficiency with respect to light). But displacement over time is the grow's momentum, or efficiency with respect to time. The two are equally valid measurements that measure different things. One is not more correct than the other.

I'm splitting hairs here, I know.

lol, we could go deeper. The grow's momentum multiplied by money earned/saved could be the grow's "work"... :rasta:

Last edited:
M

medical_shed

Cozy Amnesia said:
Yes, yes I would.

Then why did you veg for only two weeks if you could have vegged longer?

Vegging is almost twice as expensive as flowering.

The most efficient grow is the one the yeilds the most, period.

In the shortest space of time yes.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
medical_shed said:
Vegging is almost twice as expensive as flowering.
Exactly - g/W is a pretty useless metric when vegging time and wattage is not factored in.
So someone is vegging for 6 weeks and flowering for 9 under the same lights....
Well the same electric usage could have yielded 2 harvests if growing SOG from rooted clone.

I do veg some myself but I dot it in smaller pots under flourescents.

Last edited:

Bongstar420

I cannot say how much CO2 would add to yield simply because I have never used it.
I've never weighed a single one of my crops, I ran a stagered room for a long time.
Talking about hard to calculate actual yield, try a rotating fleet of plants...
It has a less subjective method of calculating yield.

Good discussion

g/w Yield Estimates in Staggered Harvest Rooms:

Lets say you harvest 1 plant. It is 1.2ftx1.4ft in size. Your light is two lamps: 1k and a 600. The optimal space for a 1k is 4x4. A 600 will be 600w/1000wx4ftx4ft. It follows that you have 16sq ft and 9.6sqft (25.6sqft) for 1600 watts total output. Your plant weighed 4.65oz or 130.2g. 1.2ftX1.4ft=1.68sqft. 1.68sqft/25.6sqft = .065 or 6.5% if the available area...130.2g/.065 of total sqft= 1984g extrapolated to the entire area. 1984g/1600w= 1.24g/w. So from harvesting a single plant out of a larger system with multiple stages present, you have a rough estimate of the g/w that individual plant yielded under the conditions it was subjected to.

(Py/(Pa/Ta))/Tw=g/w

(130.2/(1.2*1.4/(1000/1000*4*4+600/1000*4*4)))/1600

Py=Plant yield---->130.2g
Pa=Plant area---->1.68 sq ft
Ta=Total area---->25.6sq ft
Tw= Total watts--->1600w

Lets say you idealize your space for a single 1k as a 5x5:

(130.2/(1.2*1.4/(1000/1000*5*5+600/1000*5*5)))/1600.

You get 1.9g/w. This would be true since you expanded the area by 56% while assuming the same yield density per available square unit. In reality, you would likely see a decline in per square unit yield density as you spread the light out. I'm pretty sure the optimum is about 50-60 watts/sq ft- that's why I assumed the 4x4/1k standard under a 400w light.

How about a plant that weighed 1.07 oz and was about .8 ft*.8 ft in size.
*1.07oz*28g=29.96g
.8 ft*.8 ft=.64sqft
400w/1000w*4ft*4ft= 6.4sqft or 1.6ftx1.6ft

(Py/(Pa/Ta))/Tw=g/w

(29.96g/(.64sqft/6.4sqft))/400w=.749g/w

This method is all based on empirical information. You simply have to assume your measurements are correct. With this, you can create a normalized distribution that could show a plants potential in many different environments with out ever having a uniform crop. 700g/sqm is approximately the same as 1g/w