What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great post from another site

Great post from another site

by NoFucks2Give

SPYDRx is a much better framework than the CoBs (comparing to a competing CoB only panel). CoB put out too much power and are spaced to far apart. This puts limits on how close you can get to the canopy.

Fuck Watts. Watts don't mean shit. BTW: No such thing as PAR Watts. PAR is quantum µMoles, no Watts, watts would be Radiometric not Quantum.

RE: PPFD @ 54" x 54" = 1200 PPFD @ 60" x 60" = 900. PPFD is height sensitive, height needs to be specified or it don't count. Area is okay, but without height it means nothing.

If the PPFD is measured at 1 meter then the numbers are very good. Except due to the nature of CoBs the uniformity may be shit. It's good that the CoBs are equal distance to each other, but uniformity will be very height sensitive. Depending on the Radiation Distribution Curve The height should be a multiple of of the distance between CoBs.

If the PPFD of the SPYDRx and the CoB's are anywhere in the same ballpark (at the same height), SPYDRx is the way to go, hands down.

The height above the canopy is a huge factor. PFFD should be measured at 1 meter. Some sellers prefer to specify less. e.g Heliospectra specifies 18" and they recommend they be hung at 18" over the canopy. The SPYDRx having the LEDs spread out where Heliospectra photons are projected from a smaller area has teh 18" limitation and SPYDRx does not.

AT 18" the PPFD is 4.8 times what it would be at 1 meter. The closer you can get to the canopy is of quantum importance.
As the fixture gets closer to the canopy the PPFD rises exponentially with the Inverse Squares Law.
12" = 10.8x
11" = 12.8x
10" = 15.5x
9" = 19.1x
4" = 96.9x more flux to the canopy than a fixture at 1 meter.

Another important issue is the wavelengths. With CoBs you are stuck with white. BLM (Fluence) will give you what you need. (edit as do Amares)

While the stoners on this site have a shitload of anecdotal evidence supporting broad spectrum, it is just that anecdotal.

Every recent scientific study has found narrow band wavelengths superior to broad spectrum. Look at the huge vertical farms that were started on big budgets. These guys have the incentive and the budget to do things right. They hire the experts that know the scientific research. You will not find one big budget vertical farm using white (edit" white only) in the growth stage.

There is a lot of moaning on this site from the CoB snobs about how narrow bandwidth LED fixtures don't stand up to their CoBs. That because their experience with narrow band fixtures is limited to the under $500 hucksters. The hucksters advertise how many 3 Watt Cree LEDs they have. Like I said Watts don't mean shit. What is much more important than the published wattage at 25°C is the temperature. Red and the other AlGaInP LEDs are very temperature sensitive. To the tune of losing 50% Radiant Flux by running the LEDs at 100°C. But they don't care they are selling their crap based on Watts.

Just because light bulbs were sold by Wattage does not mean LEDs can. Then the hucksters that sell by Wall Watts because they are too cheap to use efficient power supplies and LED drivers and the inefficiency drives up the Wall Watts. .It's the blind leading the blind out there.

Many of the stoners on this site are Blind. They always got the line "It works for me, look". Well GrowLux bulbs work pretty damn good too. But we van do better.

Unfortunately, cannabis being illegal at the Federal level and in most every country doing any significant horticulture LED research, there is no known light recipe or even a reliable Red:Blue ratio.

Stay the fuck away from UV and Far Red unless you know something I do not. In the few instances where they have been found to have a positive effect, it has been in a metabolism signaling scenario and for a very specific species. The hucksters spread misinformation based on their misinterpretation of these studies or worse they are just lying.

Too many of the stoners on this site are baffled by the bullshit and too and wouldn't see brilliance if it bit them in the ass.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
FYI: From previous grows I learned in the early stages that I need to put an o/o valve on each feeder tube, at least when using the 4 g tote as a rez. They allow me to shut one side off when flooding, so as to geet a lot more nutrient to each plants root system

Once the root system grows deeper, this won't be necessary, not will it be should I find a 5-6 gallon low profile tote.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update: 2 days ago I pushed the flood cycle to 3 hours. Next day the primary leafs were drooping, so back to every 2 hours for now

So far so good with replacing air pump/stones with a lp pump + Venturi to create bubbles

Seeds were first cross of Diesel with Diesel. Note the pheno differences in just 4 plants

View attachment 411724 View attachment 411725

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Major bummer.

Just when I was getting ready to move them to the main tents I noticed that the 2 plants on the right in the previous photo have hanging nuts/nanners (when they fill ut they look more like coconut bunches than bananas). The middle plant is most surprising, as it is quite full some 6" below the top

Popped more Diesel seeds last night, but in water beads, which are tiny balls that expand when soaked in water.

Stay tuned

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I pulled the 2 nut sacks (see root pic) and replaced with the 2 that were in my floom only tote. Note one has yellow leafs and some purple stems. This plant's roots were directly over the pump, and might have been affected by the electrical fields

No idea whether they are female- time will tell. Their root systems are much smaller than the 2 from the f & d system; the larger of the 2 had a much more developed root system

View attachment 411827 View attachment 411828

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The old argument that organic tastes better is laughable".......you are joking right?
I can only speak from personal experience and that is that organically grown weed DOES taste better than salt based ferts. I have read other people sharing this view. Pet you are the first person I have come across that does not share this view.
"Another great benefit of Hydro is growth, which is typically 2-4Xs greater. This is confirmed by many Greenhouse Seed YT videos"......LOL! Have you ever grown organically? Well I have grown in hydro and in soilless mediums and now finally and thank god I do ROLS and am growing the BEST indoor weed in my life with the least money, the least time and the least problems EVER.
I will call BS when I see it.

As long as you're happy, just don't expect me to buy into it.

Go to Strain Hunters website. They have MANY side by side hydro v no hydro (don't recall whether the medium is organic), it makes the point quite clearly

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking at the roots from the flooming tote with plants growing in it, instead of in an outboard rez: they are no where near as developed as when I used the 4 air stones, plus the plant that was directly over the pump looks sick. Perhaps it was to far away from the bubbles, or maybe the electric proximity affected it

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going back in my files, it looks like I started the Diesel around April 10. 3 males set me back as well as the flooming rez, which I think it needs to be deeper, or stick with air stones for the first few weeks

Plant on right finally bouncing back, though a shadow of the girl on the left which is not setting the world on fire either

Plant on left showing first pistils, so I defoled a whooping 6 leafs

4/ 5 seeds I started in the water beads have tap roots, so I transferred them to starter cubes with a dilute Emerald Harvest Root Wizard and Grow

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
pH: or why hydro can go south

I admit, I should know better, but I totally failed at checking pH until today. Holy Shit 7.9: no wonder the plants aren't filling out, and the plant on the right has both dark green leafs and yellow tips

Rez drained, totes flushed, fresh nutes pHed to 5.6 and away we go

Also a pic of the complex of timers to run the flooding pump, the flooming pump and fan, plus the lights

View attachment 412549 View attachment 412550

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's been 7 hours, but I swear the plants look much happier. Expecting good things soon

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've done quite a bit of DIY experimentation throughout this thread. I think it's time to satrt a new one, beginning with where my DIY has evolved to date.

So far I have not been able to conquer the limitations of low rez height, even when using 4G totes as rezes. A good bit of why is that it's pretty warm here 8 months of the year and I have not 'invested' in a chiller, because IMO they are not the panacea I need

I do have a 24 can igloo cooler (which will be easier to maintain cool temps) that I have yet to employ as a rez, but I think it's time, especially now that we're already pushing 90*s hard

Also, I have my taller igloo cooler pretty well dialed in. Actually had 2 pumps go belly up in the last 4 days, one brand new

Thinking to title the new thread Hail Hydro. 2.0: the story continues

Thoughts

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just made fresh nutes @ ~ 600ppm

2 of the babies main stalks are tall spindly, and need help to support them until they firm up. I have one coco starter/clone plug that works ok, but looking for something better. Ideas?

Primary leafs have grown fairly large (and secondary leafs/nodes/branches spurting) since defoling on May 16th

Pics tomorrow

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Today's pics

While the plant on the right may never amount to much, it's not taking up space I otherwise need, but it certainly looks a lot healthier

Babies plugging along. Not a fan of Rapid Rooters, mostly because they are tapered and don't stand up straight

The bubble water balls work OK, but, nothing great

View attachment 413511

View attachment 413512

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Only 2 seed survivors, maybe 3, but it's so far behind, and no way to know if any are female, so...

I dropped a bunch of new seeds in water- my cross; Diesel x WW X G13

I bought Planters Pride Pellets- organic coco coir pellets that expand once they are soaked/wetted

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Replaced one more white TL tube with a red, now 3/3. Will replace one more white in ~ 5 days to push for max bud development

Soaking the Pellets in prep for dropping 2 of the seeds that already have taps coming out

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just a place holder for myself. I did first defol on 5/16, so next one at ~ 06/06

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nute ppm to this point < 700. Getting ready to make up a stronger batch, but < 1000ppm

I had to snap the top 6" of the plant on the left

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since adding one more red tube the bigger plant has responded with longer and thicker bottom branches, along with a significant bump in bud development

I had to add some weight to the snapped top stem to keep it horizontal

The other plant is doing better than it has a right to

The 2 older seedlings are developing more leafs but still require support to stay up. The small one in the front is the first seed to crack and placed into thee coco pouches.

Under the humid dome: one of the seeds has popped through, should see cotyledons by days end

View attachment 414962 View attachment 414963

View attachment 414964