What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You hit on a couple issues, but there's more to it

While the room gets hot in the summer, I leave front flaps open and run a circulating fan

I rotate blue ice so rez temps are typically < 74*s

BUT...

I was too was pushing with floods every 30 minutes. Worse I was flooding too high up the net pots, which kept the coco pods soaked without time to dry. I just figured this out in my current grow

Think I've got the issues resolved to save this and have healthy future grows

RockinRobot

As I said reservoir temps isn't the issue. If you're keeping the reservoir at 74 with ice then I promise you the actual root zone temps are above 80.

Anyway I already said you'll never change, so I wont beat a dead horse. IMHO, unless you get an air conditioner and lower temps in your grow area, either go to Flood and Drain in hydroton or continue to have issues. High temps and wet root zone is asking for problems.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As I said reservoir temps isn't the issue. If you're keeping the reservoir at 74 with ice then I promise you the actual root zone temps are above 80.

Anyway I already said you'll never change, so I wont beat a dead horse. IMHO, unless you get an air conditioner and lower temps in your grow area, either go to Flood and Drain in hydroton or continue to have issues. High temps and wet root zone is asking for problems.

Assumption!

What you are not privy to is: this issue has been ongoing now for 3 grows, always in my air conditioned space down stairs

The problem is not heat or temps above the water line. It's the FACT that the coco pods have been soaked due to the water line being too high, never letting them dry out. Prior to doing that, the pods were wet to the very top 24/7!, thereby creating the root rot

A couple days ago, HydroRed suggested I put my air pump on a timer. That, combined with adding a second net pot with ~ 1/2" of marbles (effectively raising the bottom of the coco pods up by 1/2" has allowed the pods to dry out. So far that's working. Still dialing in the o/o times

but thanks for your input :tiphat:

DiverDave

Assumption!

What you are not privy to is: this issue has been ongoing now for 3 grows, always in my air conditioned space down stairs

The problem is not heat or temps above the water line. It's the FACT that the coco pods have been soaked due to the water line being too high, never letting them dry out. Prior to doing that, the pods were wet to the very top 24/7!, thereby creating the root rot

A couple days ago, HydroRed suggested I put my air pump on a timer. That, combined with adding a second net pot with ~ 1/2" of marbles (effectively raising the bottom of the coco pods up by 1/2" has allowed the pods to dry out. So far that's working. Still dialing in the o/o times

but thanks for your input :tiphat:
I had similar problems too , I lowered my nute level to the pots
and took my timer for the air pump offline.
So the air pump was on 24/7.
Both actions combined made things right.

So I think you may have figured your problem out just
by adding a second or third net pot to the mix.
Not sure turning on/off the air is helpful.
I feel just cause other planets can go DWC w/o air pumps
THESE planets demand it 24/7.

This is only my belief.

DD

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had similar problems too , I lowered my nute level to the pots
and took my timer for the air pump offline.
So the air pump was on 24/7.
Both actions combined made things right.

So I think you may have figured your problem out just
by adding a second or third net pot to the mix.
Not sure turning on/off the air is helpful.
I feel just cause other planets can go DWC w/o air pumps
THESE planets demand it 24/7.

This is only my belief.

DD

Thanks DD. I've come to the same conclusion after seeing coco pods dry out after adding a second net pot with marbles. I used to do something similar in one net pot putting small stones between the netpot bottom and the coco pod bottom. I got away from that when I started experimenting with coco inserts, which stayed wet

2/3 plants (with at least some root) have responded well, but the other has no roots showing. I just reinserted the O2Grow

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whew: Finally Seeing the Light

Whew: Finally Seeing the Light

Plants are all stabilized but will not start growing until new roots get established, probably in a week there should be enough take some root pics

Since they are stunted, not expecting much (where have we heard that before) :laughing:

Anyway, dropped 5 seeds into sea mineral water (sans salt) so I can make up for the last 6 months of poor grows

View attachment 490641 View attachment 490642

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made fresh nutes, and cleaned the tote, There was a lot of coco mixed into the nutes also coating the air stones. I cleaned everything, and soaked the roots in h2o2

Not going to use coco pellets for hydro anymore as the delicate wrapper breaks down and screws up the nutrients, which seems to add to my root rot woes. The roots tell the story as to which plant is doing 'better'

I decided to do what I should have done from the beginning and cover the lid with HD foil.

I had started 4 more seeds in coco pellets, but they haven't broken through yet so will transfer to Rapid Rooter starter cubes.

View attachment 491733 View attachment 491734

View attachment 491735

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A reward for salvaging these 3 Triple berry plants from seeds gifted by a new breeder (so sorry for my bad showing sir) is the biggest one is a female, the other 2 are male, so at least I can pollinate and get get some fresh seeds

Rabbi

Feel your pain PetFlora, I've been dealing with root rot issues as well.

I finally gave up the battle, tossed all my plants, clean and disinfected my equipment and now have new seedlings on the go. Fingers crossed.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im back to using Rapid Rooter starter plugs. I had 4 old plugs that had dried out so I soaked them and placed 4 cracked seeds in them, BUT, I was gone most of the day yesterday and neglected to moisten them when I got home. This morning they were completely dried out. Not sure the seeds will survive.

Now, this gave me an idea for all future seed grows, put the RRs into netpots which are then placed in a shallow bubbler with just enough water to keep the RRs moist until the roots exit the cubes.

Fortunately, I had everything on hand to cobble my newest preflight system together. As I only have 4 seeds I am able to get by with one air stone. I tried the small single stone pump first, but was concerned that it didn't pump enough air into the shallow water. Although I am using a 2 stone pump one side is more than sufficient as can be seen in the pictures. The plastic grate is used to raise the bottom of the net pots high enough so tehy don't soak, but stay damp.

View attachment 492022

View attachment 492023

View attachment 492024

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not unexpectedly, the 4 BBCC x G13 seeds that I dropped into old dried out Rapid Rooters that had dried out (I soaked them for a good while) but so far have not sprouted, so I just dropped 5 more

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So far only 3/6 BBCC x G13 (my seeds) have popped. Everything was the same- and done at the same time.

The pic was taken on 4/26. The other 3 still have not popped

Very frustrating, but 2/3 are doing well, the other just ok,. Probably because yesterday morning I noticed the RR was b one dry. The cause was evap of water in the bubble bath and it was not getting any

The Little Old Lady (LOL) is beginning to take off as more new roots and root hairs continue developing

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots to report today

The 3 babies all have roots exiting the RRs :jump: (see pics). The other 3 no bueno :wallbash:

This required me moving the 1" net pots to 3" first putting a layer of marbles in the bottom (see pic) then dropping in the 1" with plant, then side filling both with small stones to anchor the plants and block the light from the roots

I need to put them in the bubbler which means LOL (little old lady) needs to be moved. I was thinking to move her outside, but we're coming up on rainy season with lots of humidity and of course rain.

I made a DIY cloner that I will put her in and keep her inside

So, need to make veg nutes for the bubbler

View attachment 492769 View attachment 492770

View attachment 492771 View attachment 492772

View attachment 492773

Latest posts

Latest posts