What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
too close. there needs to be space between bottom of pots and top of water.

Not in my experience. I should have taken a root pic of the babies. The idea behind minimal space above the water line is to create more humidity rich space. In a small way this simulates what HPA misting the entire chamber does

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Probably less than a week for the older girls. Note the root pic barely has any healthy roots, but somehow they are feeding the plant.

I am only letting these continue as I do not need the space yet, and the colas/calyx are still fattening up

The white stuff is DE to kill the gnats: 99% reduction in an hour!

The plant outside looks great, though small due to the same root issues prior to me potting it outside in coco

Babies

It never ceases to amazes me how 5 plants from the same strain can all be unique. Naturally, the biggest one has the most roots

View attachment 484285 View attachment 484286

View attachment 484287 View attachment 484288

View attachment 484289

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I clipped the top buds on the bifurcated plant in the front. Interestingly, below them the rest of the bud sites have new pistils. This is the plant I took root pic showing new root/roothairs

Babies

In just 3 days since prior pic they have really taken off

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I harvested 1/2 left in the lpa setup. this one with virtually no healthy roots. Not much to harvest, but, what I did get is sticky, loaded with trichs, pungent aroma, so at least there's that.

will likey harvest the other later today (dealing with a bit of a hangover). Once that's gone, I need to clean the lpa system thoroughly, to try 1/5 Triple berries in it now that I think I solved the problem. Nova Seed Co: triple berry? (((Durban x PCK) x Joey Weed BB) x MOB) x Lemonhoko's BB Bx F2's

The other 4 will go into my tried and true F & D setup, with a twist. I will be using the O2Grow emitter in each rez. Will likely test one rez, keeping one extra pump with venturi to circulate the nutes

View attachment 484986 View attachment 484987

View attachment 484988 View attachment 484989

Drop That Sound

Did you get some of those hho like emitters that you were talkin about last year?

What if you put some kinda mini driver in the res and hit it with the same cymatic frequency of the earths vibrations, wonder if the roots can sense the patterns.

I suppose that already happens to some extent, but what if you could tune the vibrations in the water itself, and alter the way oxygen and nutrients are taken up. Or trick the plant into thinking its in the ground, etc..

I like watching cymatic bubble pattern vids, and the guy that adds copper dust into the solutions over his homemade sub woofer drivers.. i keep wondering how that could affect roots in a DWC environment.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DTS, cool.

My new water additive is Shungite rocks. I just changed 4 stages of my 5 stage iSpring RO, 3 have twist off canisters, so I dropped one stone in each of them. I will also place 3 on my incoming water pipe which already has 4 large neodymium magnets.

Just made fresh nutes and a fresh foliar spray.. The babies are already growing fast, alas, I won't have a control, but away we go

Yes, I thought i talked about the O2G 2020 DO emitter. I put one emitter in the bubbler and one in the lpa, which my be the only reason why the plants didn't die

As I am uncomfortable going all in again with the lpa (though I think I figured out my problem) but, I will go with the smallest plant, whereas the other 4 will go into 2 x 2 F & D totes. with an emitter in each

View attachment 485075 View attachment 485076

View attachment 485077

View attachment 485078 View attachment 485079

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Friday I noticed the big plant is a girl as she already has pistils! That's sort of a bummer in that I want to take clones but the branches are too small.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just swapped out the Amare 220w led for his 250. Wow, hard to believe 30w could be that much brighter

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I noticed that after replacing the SE 220 with the SE 250 that the primary leafs have been a bit droopy. The extra 3ow seems more like 50-100w as the light comes way out in the room now when the tent flaps are open. Also, the 250 has a neutral-cool white spectrum, whereas the 220 was more warm white.

Meaning the plants could be adjusting to the spectrum shift and 30%++ light increase.

Anyway, since all 5 have a top bud developing I decided to give them fresh nutes, up from ~ 400ppm to ~800ppm. It's only been an hour, but 2 are definitely perking up

Interesting takeaway (from forgetting to increase the daylight hours from when the 4 plants that finished under the SE 220 at the same time I was vegging): instead of increasing nutrient ppm from veg to flower try just lowering the daylight hours enough to encourage bloom. This could help determine which are females, then go right back to normal daylight schedule

hth

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just heard from Amare. He suggested I turn off the monos which cuts 100w off. We'll see

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since the plants are fattening up instead of stretching, I cut 2 hours off daylight schedule

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As you might imagine I’ve been pulling my hair out!

The last thing on my mind was the nutes, so I changed many things thinking beyond the nutes, but now during my 3rd grow I have proof

Over my last 3 grows (including the current one) I have been using these which are ~ 2-3 years old

all 3 grows have suffered dramatically , but got some new roots AFTER I changed to 2 Part EH Bloom + EH additives as per the feeding chart

I just emailed EH

The beautiful healthy roots was when using NPK RAW veg dry formula + RO water (you might need to click on link after 4th photo)

View attachment 486869

View attachment 486870 View attachment 486871

View attachment 486872 View attachment 486873