What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I placed covers over the 3 plants, mostly to prevent light from getting into the rez, but the small plant was not developing, so I took the cover off and the plant flopped over as most of the stem was flat and it was on the verge of stem rot, so I cut the RR open and moved the main stem deeper into the RR. Fingers crossed

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
DAMMIT

It's already getting hot here, and even though a/c is on 24/7 the tent gets warm, even with flaps open and fan running during light hours.

Alas, I failed to account for evap, especially when being extra careful not to raise the water level too high and potentially soak the RRs. Water level went down, RRs dried a good bit, and both plants wilted. One has recovered, still nursing the other.

LOL continues to impress

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Even though the main stalk on the one plant is showing signs of life, the leafs are not, so I dropped 4 more BBCC X G13 seeds this morning

By tomorrow I should see new leaf development if it's going to recover

Either way, will take pics then

grow them big for soil or cookos then move hydro,mayby they are strong inaf battle root rot
or make every day new batch water and what you using and feed to waste.
you do to mutch and try too higtech whitout watercooler?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pic of the tent. I played with fan placement. I finally settled on it being inside the tent, to the far right (not pictured)

I put a temp/rh meter in yesterday morning. Temp was 89*s, it is now 86- 87. Still working on it, but fan is blowing across the Amare LED which should help

Newest seed drop Note how fast the tap roots have popped out, and really big/long too These are from the exact same BBCC x G13 seeds :woohoo:

LOL is doing great. Note her really nice root ball

View attachment 493240 View attachment 493241

View attachment 493242 View attachment 493243

View attachment 493244

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
grow them big for soil or cookos then move hydro,mayby they are strong inaf battle root rot
or make every day new batch water and what you using and feed to waste.
you do to mutch and try too higtech whitout watercooler?

Thanks for your input

I have been growing just fine for years until I started outsmarting myself

In the process I did consider starting them in coco then once nicely rooted, removing the coco from the roots and putting them in hydro, but I think I have all the issues resolved now; heat being a major factor

A couple pics from better days, same techniques

View attachment 493251

View attachment 493252

View attachment 493253

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A couple days ago I noticed signs of RR again. Why? Well, when I put LOL into the coffee container I wasn't careful about the water level. Obviously, it was too high. Been soaking her in and out of h202 over the last couple days. I did lose some lower leafs. pH was hard to control, rising over 8

To be safe, I made fresh nutes (600ppm/1 EC) for LOL so she can get back on track

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Early on in this 4 BBCC X G13 it looked like 2 were not going to make it, but they did. In the mean time I dropped 2 more and they're doing well too, but there's no room in my bubbler. GOing to try my lpa + hpa mist heads again

Crowmax

Veteran
Nice grow PetFlora

You are not putting anything to the res to battle the root rot?

A very good way to deal with it once and for all, is to use beneficial microbe tea or just trichoderma and myco bacteria products directly into the res.

If you are bored to make Beneficial microbe tea, just buy GHE Bioponic Mix or any similar product and throw each week a tablespoon or two into the reservoir.

You will forget root rot for ever, if you need more information let me know

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice grow PetFlora

You are not putting anything to the res to battle the root rot?

A very good way to deal with it once and for all, is to use beneficial microbe tea or just trichoderma and myco bacteria products directly into the res.

If you are bored to make Beneficial microbe tea, just buy GHE Bioponic Mix or any similar product and throw each week a tablespoon or two into the reservoir.

You will forget root rot for ever, if you need more information let me know

I have NPK Raw microbes, which I have not added until you reminded me.

:bow:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice, did the roots recover after the cocktail or before?

This is a follow up dose. LOL is developing new roots. Probably be a week before she really perks up and starts developing sufficient pistils to pollinate

DiverDave

:tiphat:
Made separate cocktails of microbes, enzymes and aminos + Ca for the 2 rezes'
I have been trying to dial in my room for almost a year , since I been following some top notch growers here.
Experiences and problems we all face at one time or another.
Then finding a solution we all hope for.

During my change over from soil out doors to soil indoor then giving it all up and decided on hydro .. this is where I came here (this thread).
I followed and tried things as I learned of them...

Timers , pumps , air stones and all the other crap to try.
Happy to learn , sure a bit of cash tide up in equipment ..as needed.

I found thing , unseen in my studies. They say add air to hydro .. 4 inch air stone check
Timers .. everyone has their own set of numbers they like .. so as to not dround the
girls. But timers can be used on air pump as well as water pumps.
More studies , then I realized that air .. leave on 24/7 RDWC the R means water on 24/7 as well.
Pumps heat up if ran long time .. I invested in 12v in many areas of builds and heat issues.
12v = less heat.
So since RDWC had to run too long , I turned to experiment with cloning for a bit.
That worked and was nice once I got a good 12v timer and wired it.
Cause cloning uses spray .. I got a thought to ADD drop down sprays to the RDWC buckets and give it a go ;)

Working nice , but had to vacuum (30 gal shop vac) the rez.
Seems some slim or bits in fluid .. looked at roots , but they were clean or nearly clean.
A spray bath of peroxide a few times that day and new nutes after the buckets and rez. was hosed down .. but everything as they took turns hung in a dry bucket.

Yes lots of work ..
After new nutes , 3 to 4 days go by and ph & ppm check .. warns to mix new bach and set with lower ph .. And I add a new batch at about 4 gals to the rez. on this schedule.

After a bit more reading I see mentions of filtration , mostly talk of RO reverse osmosis.
I think a bit over kill , but retained info .
A thought came over me one day and I decided to make a vacuum pump (12v water pump with hoses) for cleaning the rez.
So after a run to HD for a under the counter clear jar water filter.
Long story shortened : bought 2 and all connectors and hose.
Small pump hand washed sides and bottom of the rez , and sucked all fluid through the new filter.
Then turned on a big 110v ac one and cycled the rez. for over an hour.
Now its crystal clear.
I changed and rinsed the filters and put them back together and feed the sprayers with filter in line.

3 days later the filter is looking yellowish again , meaning its keeping things clean.
I can not lift the lids any more because of the LST and piping I'm using at this time.

So I can not check roots .. but from the top .. I think you can see its looking good.

I apologize for carrying on , I'll attach a photo as payment of hijacking.:tiphat:

DD

p.s The attachments are from start to date.
There are 3 plants in the last 3 photos.
The first 2 photos are start.
The last 3 show the 2 girls on left , tied left to right LST.
The planet in back right side is just taking space (left over from clone experiment).

Attachments

• Tent 049.jpg
    Tent 049.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Tent 050.jpg
    Tent 050.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Tent 062.jpg
    Tent 062.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 14
  • Tent 063.jpg
    Tent 063.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 9
  • Tent 068.jpg
    Tent 068.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

DD. I see in your first picture that you did not fill your net cup. The light getting in your res is a big no-no. Even after filling your cups, you might want to cover the net pots with some bubble foil er what have you to further prevent any light leakage. Also, filling the cups provides more structural support for the plant. They can start to flop over and tear away from their root system, leaving the separated mass of root to rot in the buckets. For this reason, you should also always support your base from the opposite direction your plant is being lst’d with a good double hitch knot.

Everything else looks great. Good look using proper black buckets and hydroton.

DiverDave

DD. I see in your first picture that you did not fill your net cup. The light getting in your res is a big no-no. Even after filling your cups, you might want to cover the net pots with some bubble foil er what have you to further prevent any light leakage. Also, filling the cups provides more structural support for the plant. They can start to flop over and tear away from their root system, leaving the separated mass of root to rot in the buckets. For this reason, you should also always support your base from the opposite direction your plant is being lst’d with a good double hitch knot.

Everything else looks great. Good look using proper black buckets and hydroton.

Thank you.
Yes the plants were small coming from the seed to soil .. then cleaned and put into hydro till roots shot through.
The light leak because hydro stones were not to top could not be helped.
When they were big enough the pots were topped off but never covered.

Thank you on advise to tie stock in opposite direction.
I will do that next time .. instead when I did the first pull down .. I heard the rocks shift and didn't think anything about breaking loose roots that could rot. Good advice.

I forgot the main part of my rant .. the photos of rez. and filter.
So here I will post them.

Thanks you all on this learning curve.

DD

Attachments

• 2019_05_22_Tent 009.jpg
    2019_05_22_Tent 009.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 2019_05_22_Tent 010.jpg
    2019_05_22_Tent 010.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2019_05_22_Tent 011.jpg
    2019_05_22_Tent 011.jpg