What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Had to put down my best friend today

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Had to have my baby put down today. Her hips had given way to arthritis and it was finally really starting to give her a hard time getting up and walking. It would have been easier if her mind was going bad but it wasn't.
She was 9 1/2 years old. Ancient for a Mastiff. Life span is 7 to 10 years. She had a good life and she just knew that anyone that came to the house came to see her. She was truly born an old soul.
I've had lots of dogs in the past but this one got under my skin more than any of them. Not gonna know what to do when I get up in the middle of the night and don't have to take a huge step over her so i can get a foot on the floor, lol.
Well anyway. Thanks to those that have taken a look. I had to do the hardest thing I've ever had to do today. I sat there on the floor with her, rubbing her head, heck, and between her eyes(her favorite) while she slipped into her final big sleep. I've really lost my best friend.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
sry brother.....

This life has now passed away
They are with the Lord today
Enjoying a better life anew
Their memory shall you carry through
Until you guys again, rendezvous....

WelderDan

Veteran
Man that sucks. I was there when my good bro had to put his Dane down for similar reasons. It's weird that the bigger the dog, the shorter the lifespan. I've seen ankle biters live over 20.

Chin up bro. It'll get better.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh, man. That is a tough one. Hopefully there is something to that "waiting at the bridge" idea. You have my sympathy.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Sucks bro, Putting a pet down is hard. I've had to do it to 3 out of 4 of my cats over the years, and the one I didn't I found in the gutter just a block from home. :frown:

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Geez buddy I had no idea, I'm so sorry to hear man. Thanks for being there for me earlier, even in your time of grief.
Take care RR:friends:
RM

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
mang....my thoughtz are w/ U.....blessedBE RR..... hope U find sum peace tonight just as she has.....staystrong

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

a huge part of our lives, she was lucky to have such a loving and caring companion as you resinryder. I'm sorry for your pain and hope it will pass soon.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
My heart goes out to you Resinryder that's one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do in your life it was mine.
May she RIP and may you find comfort knowing her pain is gone.

Sorry to hear, have had to do the same thing before with my German Shepherd and though it is hard, it's good to know you were with her and she was with loved ones in a comfortable environment. May we all be so lucky.

Cheerful

That sucks bro but you'll be together again someday... My condolences.

All my good vibes and energy to you, resinryder, your family and your baby. She is pain-free once again. Take time to recall the great times you two had together. I hope your heart heals rapidly.

itisme

Veteran
9.5 years is amazing for that breed, she must had been loved :D

One thing you learn as you get older is it is always better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

macamus33

Sorry for your loss. Had to do the same to my 12-1/2 year old english bull last year. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do, I cried like a baby and I don't do that. Its amazing how an animal gets to your heart like that.

Grass Lands

Veteran
Hey man when we put one of our boys down it was one of the most difficult things we had to do...we have you in our hearts and prayers.

This helped us a little...hoping it will help you a little bit...

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Take Care
GL:tiphat:

zenoonez

Veteran
I am so sorry man. I have only had one dog in my life like that. It was hard. It will get better with time. Positive vibes!