What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Had to put down my best friend today

G

Guest 16149

RR sorry to hear, just remember you did the right thing by not letting her suffer. I had to do the same for my Rotty buddy Max a couple of years ago, it is never easy, but the best thing you could do for your buddy.

D

draco

a real heartbreaker there resinrider.

the last time i lost a dog i cried for 1/2 hr - the first cry anyway...

love exists. that's why you hurt...

blessings man

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
RR, sorry about the loss of your friend! Its a heartbreaker for sure, think of all the love he gave ya, Im sure he is too :)

Hey Ryder... She was a beauty really. Both of you were fortunate to have each other ... Plants and animals are a blessing, grass has intensified this appreciation

Peace homie

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Your kind and caring words have really brought me to tears as I type this. I really do appreciate everyone and everything that has been said.
I got up this morning and called the dogs to go outside. Unconsciously I called her name too. Habit you know. As the other 2, 1 Mastiff and a funny little Dachshund mix that is living barking proof that my word here means nothing, hehe, were out doing there business I could still see my girl wondering around the yard in her preferred area looking for a spot to do her business.
It'll get better with time I know but for now I prefer to remissness about the good and forget easing her pain.
Thanks again everyone. You've made my morning.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
RainbowBridge1.jpg

sappy and stupid but nice....

sorry for your loss

Brought a tear to my eye Resin bro! Very sad for your loss. I had to lay my pup to rest when I was 10, he grew up with me and was so difficult to watch him gently meet the other side. Uncle Buck needs a furry friend where he's at :)

sso

Veteran
well, rr , your response almost got me crying too (havent cried for decades)

and a few friends that came into mind of my own.

dagnabit...according to my own experiences, sappy and "stupid", but true.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
sending you positive vibes brother resinryder, losing a loved pet is a difficult thing to go through. It's been almost 11 months for me and I still miss my buddy terribly. About time to give another good dog a good home.

Wishing you and yours serenity and peace through this difficult time. You did the right thing letting her go without further pain.... in fact taking the pain upon yourself in watching her go. It's an honourable, but difficult thing.... bless you for taking on her pain in a different form.... it takes strength.

We're thinking of you, and wishing you are yours the courage to fight through the sad times. Remember all you did for her and all she love she brought to your family... for me it was the only way to make it bearable.
-Chimera

northstate

ICMag Donor
RR- You are a champ, testing your strength and resolve for sure. My eyes leaked as I read through these posts and I am lucky enough to pet my buddy for you. Much respect take care and thanks for reminding people of whats important. NS

Protea

ITs the sadest part of owning a pet. you have to think of the good years you had together. and 9.5 years is very respectebal for such a big dog.
its always a terrible loss when they go. and such a empthy house whitout them. but its better on the other side of the rainbow bridge.
you are in my thoughts, bought of you

conehead

I'm writing this with teary eyes as I just remembered my best friend Pedro who I had to put down due to heart problems, I kept him going for a few more years than the vets gave him with lots of love & care & the best meds for his condition HE WAS 11 1/2. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life. I feel for you resinryder it is a hard thing to do bro. Its been a few months now but it still hurts like hell.

Old Soul

Veteran
Hey brotha, I know we spoke about it but I just saw the thread so I had to put down a few words here as well. Those pics you posted brought tears to my eyes, thanks for sharing. Her beauty is undescribable and I feel blessed to have met her. I know you gave her the best life a dog could ask for and it showed. I know she will always be missed, but her spirit lives on forever. good vibes bro. peace, OS

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
So many people,.... so many dogs,..... so many days together laughing out loud,..... and so much love shared,......more fun than a barrel full of monkeys,.... until the sun sets on us all.

Sorry for your loss bro, you are much loved here too!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

large breed dogs earn a special place in owners hearts, back in the mid 80's I lived in a house in Yonkers in a dicey neighborhood, one of my roommates a biker friend of mine owned a rottweiler that was huge w/out being fat, just a big ol' dog Schatzee von Rumple Mintz was her name. She wouldn't hurt a fly but whenever Marc walked her in the neighborhood he used a muzzle on her and he motioned people away from her on the sidewalk, Schatzee had the rep of being a killer based on those walks and appearance alone.......

she was a counter surfer though so we couldn't keep food out w/out watching her every move, one day I'd parboiled some baby back ribs before grilling and set them down, I turned around to do something else and when I turned back it looked like there were 3 racks on the platter instead of 4. I heard some laughter coming from the living room as Freddy asked her "Hey Schatzee, how about a beer w/those ribs!" As silent and stealthy as a ninja she clipped those ribs right behind my back, we took them back from her making Marc the running joke of the day with his "twice chewed ribs".

SetHeh

@resinryder & all the others who lost their animal companions - my condolences! I know how you feel. I had to put down my best friend (black lab) on Oct. 14th this year. He had an inoperable cancer. It was the toughest thing I've done in my life and I miss him like hell!