What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guerilla Underground Thread

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yes I went by the charts and everything trying to understand the direction. Plus I've cut a bunch of smaller trees and clearing out. But on these steep hills you think you've got it decent a the sun moves a lil (angle rises sets ). There's a HUGE tree blocking some stuff....this tree is kinda close to the neighbors house and it's not gonna be able to cut now. I might be able to cut some this winter to help nx season. It's hard growing in a spot the first time around here even if you study the chart and feel you got things pretty good

Mengsk

You can bring a compass and become familiar with the arc of the sun in the sky during your growing season. You can selectively prune branches to let light in. Trying to think of the best item pound for pound to bring. If not compost/manure then dry fertilizer or bricks of coco coir maybe.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
You can bring a compass and become familiar with the arc of the sun in the sky during your growing season. You can selectively prune branches to let light in. Trying to think of the best item pound for pound to bring. If not compost/manure then dry fertilizer or bricks of coco coir maybe.

Yea that's what I'm referring to is using a compass and the chart to get the sun angle. It's still tough on a steep hillside with huge trees surrounding. Something that comes in to play on a hillside is a lot different than attempting this in a flat field. I'm barely getting blocked by this tree but I can't climb 100 ft or more up into the branches to cut them down. I'm afraid of heights plus way to fat to climb a tree but my brother in law maybe this fall late. I'm gonna try to move a 10gal container Thursday if I can and get it into some more sun. But I've got 80% of my plants were they need to be....without a compass and the sun diagram I'd hate to think were I'd be. I think Tycho is the guy that posted that diagram and info and I really oh him one....thanks bud

militia420

I know what you mean about growing in SW VA.....it's hard to find growing spots unless your on top of a mtn ......which is a bitch to get to especially hiking through the Mtns. And once the sun chances it's path: direction June 21 if a large tree gets in the way that may not have back in May when you put them out. I'm growing for the first time on this land and have cleared out a lot of small stuff but still am gonna have to cut some large trees this winter if I grow this area next yr. Sorry to hear about the volcano ash....there's defiant nothing you can do. Can you grow all yr outdoors there in Hawaii ??!! Good luck man:tiphat:
What you described for the SW VA area hits the nail on the head. When I read about you sloughing through the mountains it totally brings back the memories of that first grow I attempted and the absolute PITA hills I had to climb looking for spots. There was practically nothing. If I had a chain saw I could have tried opening up the few spots I located but not one of them was on the mountain top so who knows how well that would have worked. There's definitely some serious prep work and planning that has to go into growing in that area.

We can sure enough grow year round here. The thing is, it ain't as simple as it sounds. The islands have their own issues with successful grows and molds or rot can be a big factor. The winter grows here I'm told are worth doing but tend to not get as strong of sun as the typical spring/summer grow. I like having something going at all times if I can do it but this volcanic cloud layer is shite and I'll just be tending to maintaining clones indoors until I know that layer is gone, or next spring, whichever comes first. There's no point in doing a winter grow if this cloud layer doesn't let up. It's like, constant grey, reminds me of BleaksBurg aka Blacksburg, Virginia in the fall and winter.

It’s interesting reading yalls comments about it being hard to find spots. I can relate 100 percent.. and honestly, me personally.. I never hear ppl talking like “man I can’t find any good spots to grow” around these parts.. I’ve always wondered if it was as hard for everybody else as it has been for me over the years.. I kid you not when I say I’ve spent years hiking up and down side to side and all around these mountains.. goes back to being a kid.. I have ALWAYS been attracted to being out in the mountains (off the beaten trail).. I have cleared spots with a chain saw, found naturally open spots, and even grew in spots that later on became completely covered up with no light.. I’ve spend days and hours out seeking a new spot only to wind up with nothing! Just a bunch of scratches and aching feet and legs..let me tell you different parts of KY has different types of mountains/ woods.. mine are mountains, straight up and down mountains.. ANOTHER huge problem is a ton of places you go, you can’t even dig a hole.. u poke your shovel at the ground and clank! Rocks! No top soil left you will gut yourself to dig a hole to fill back up with your own soil I have done it hundreds of times.. sometimes that’s the only option..
if you get right on the peek of a mountain that is where you will find your best natural soil.. the higher up the better in most cases.. sometimes I will find a old over grown logging trail which I can clear out and dig holes which is good because it will be the only place that’s flat on otherwise a straight up and down mountain.. more then not tho those logging trails are 90 percent rocks 5 percent dirt and 5 percent briar roots.. with that said you have to keep in mind the later the season gets the lower the sun will be.. it won’t be straight over head any more..

militia420

It’s interesting reading yalls comments about it being hard to find spots. I can relate 100 percent.. and honestly, me personally.. I never hear ppl talking like “man I can’t find any good spots to grow” around these parts.. I’ve always wondered if it was as hard for everybody else as it has been for me over the years.. I kid you not when I say I’ve spent years hiking up and down side to side and all around these mountains.. goes back to being a kid.. I have ALWAYS been attracted to being out in the mountains (off the beaten trail).. I have cleared spots with a chain saw, found naturally open spots, and even grew in spots that later on became completely covered up with no light.. I’ve spend days and hours out seeking a new spot only to wind up with nothing! Just a bunch of scratches and aching feet and legs..let me tell you different parts of KY has different types of mountains/ woods.. mine are mountains, straight up and down mountains.. ANOTHER huge problem is a ton of places you go, you can’t even dig a hole.. u poke your shovel at the ground and clank! Rocks! No top soil left you will gut yourself to dig a hole to fill back up with your own soil I have done it hundreds of times.. sometimes that’s the only option..
if you get right on the peek of a mountain that is where you will find your best natural soil.. the higher up the better in most cases.. sometimes I will find a old over grown logging trail which I can clear out and dig holes which is good because it will be the only place that’s flat on otherwise a straight up and down mountain.. more then not tho those logging trails are 90 percent rocks 5 percent dirt and 5 percent briar roots.. with that said you have to keep in mind the later the season gets the lower the sun will be.. it won’t be straight over head any more..

Finding good grow spots was always one of the hardest parts of outdoor growing IMHO. But once you find it, you do every thing you can to keep it safe and secret. Being in Hawaii I can relate to the rocks right under the thinnest top soil. Many growers in Hawaii on these forums actually use rocks to build up "containers" that they dump their own soil into. That's a project I'll be taking on in the future I hope. I hate using pots for outdoors even if they have certain pros, like being able to rotate the pot 90 degrees every day. My very first grow had one spot along what was either an overgrown logging or fire truck trail. I thought I scored gold when I found it but the trees had so heavily over grown it that it would have taken a chainsaw to make room on it. I don't know if trying to create some "raised beds" with rocks that you then fill with your soil would be worth it or not. I suggest you take a look at some of the Hawaii threads to see some pictures of what some guys do out here. But out of all the spots you pick I'd make sure these are the least likely to have people come across them because raised beds would really stand out unless you try to camouflage it well.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
In my neck of the woods, the hardest part of outdoor growing is deciding which spot to use. Seriously, when I was driving down the road this spring, I was going "there..... there..... there.... " With a crew, I could put out 20k within 30minutes from my place no problem. 5k minimum within 10 minutes. And they're med to high secure spots.

But that doesn't mean squat if I don't cage, slash and burn (strimmer), and feed/kill the mice (there's a plague the last couple years. Some estimates put them at 6k per hectare). Fucking raccoons are watching me work now. They don't even run away, and I'm on the verge of feeding them fly bait sandwiches.

-TheShortTexan-

Ohhhhh the mice... in texas they get so big you "shew" them away and they pull a knife on you... as you back away slowly with your hands up they take a bite outta your plants lol.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Fucking raccoons are watching me work now. They don't even run away, and I'm on the verge of feeding them fly bait sandwiches.
Do you see this? Do you see this Martha? It's another one out here, with his drugs! This neighborhood has gone to the humans I tell ya, total shit show.
165527d9f2.jpg

-TheShortTexan-

If you find a spot that is less than ideal... let's say it'll get direct sun from 3/4 of the sky.. from what directions are your plants getting the most beneficial sun? I'm assuming it depends on hemisphere... so if I'm in Texas, Southern sky??? Morning sunlight??

W

Water-

southern exposure.

morning light helps dry off the dew or rain from the night before and reduces the potential for bud rot.

afternoon light is more intense though

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Morning sun earlier = turning on metabolism early. Once turned on it stays on. That means gains every day over plants that get sun later in the morning . Cumulative over 60 days ; 1 hour later sun . 60 hours less growth equivalent to a weeks less growth compared to the early sun plants .

EB .

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
^^ You beat me to it Ibechillin. lol

Yep. Early sunrise with southern exposure.
I don't know if that's what happened to mine, but....

7' Autos.
picture.php

(Fell over 2 days ago and broke a branch. Stake couldn't hold it.)

picture.php

picture.php

militia420

In my neck of the woods, the hardest part of outdoor growing is deciding which spot to use. Seriously, when I was driving down the road this spring, I was going "there..... there..... there.... " With a crew, I could put out 20k within 30minutes from my place no problem. 5k minimum within 10 minutes. And they're med to high secure spots.

But that doesn't mean squat if I don't cage, slash and burn (strimmer), and feed/kill the mice (there's a plague the last couple years. Some estimates put them at 6k per hectare). Fucking raccoons are watching me work now. They don't even run away, and I'm on the verge of feeding them fly bait sandwiches.

Sounds like you're in a remote spot. You're in BC right, not the Yukon? I've been through Vancouver and Victoria Island. The latter was spectacular along with the Tofino and Uclulet areas. I could see getting away with a lot in less populated areas like that.

Have you considered going into the city to an animal shelter and taking on a bunch of cats that you can let loose to keep the rodent population in check? They'd absolutely do it. There's a large feral cat population where I live now and I have only seen one rodent, and it was killed by my dogs. The other place I lived on this island had zero feral cats running around and a big rat problem. Had to shoot the bastards with a pellet gun or a 22. Will raccoons tear up your plants or just dig into the fresh soil where the plants are?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ontario. I'm rural half way between Ottawa and Montreal. My cat brings home more mice than I can shake a stick at (4 a few nights ago). I have two good hunting cats and there's always a litter or two of kittens around.

Mice/rabbits cut the stalks off 2 inches from the bottom. They don't even eat it. Just cut the stalk.

Raccoons dig the plants right out of the ground and throw them aside and keep digging.

I predug and amended my holes in april/may and let the animals investigate and play in it hoping it would help. It didn't. The minute I brought plants out, they went at it.

-TheShortTexan-

Man. Im a trapper and coons are a specialty. I don't know how anyone here feels about trapping... but they can't help themselves with fried chicken bones or grape juice (Welch's specifically for some reason) if you wanna use live traps, marshmallows are killer. I won't get into details of leg traps in case someone is against that... but they are especially effective at raccoons. They'll hit the fried chicken before they come near your plants.

U

Ununionized

I don't know how suburban the atmosphere around where you live but I know - well, I assume, you guys have some fantastic weather up there in summer, right? If this is the case, I wouldn't be embarrassed to suggest a doggone solar panel & car battery for a small electrified fence around your grow.

I mean, you'd have to seriously kill the grass around a perimeter about a foot across, but you'll have sunlight most likely, and - if you're a rural guy, you can probably craft yourself some conductive ranch rope for keeping animals, into a fence of some sort. Heck maybe just chicken wire man, put it about a foot or two tall, drive those non conductive green tomato stakes in the ground, do some serious securing so the fence can't slide down, and bang.

When it's really mice, I think what you're supposed to do, is fold the fence, outward: and have it extend out in an L, from the grow, so mice are forced to go under it.

You find some kind of prop for it that will keep it from grounding, and even if the animals can't get through the prop - say you use the plastic edging stuff ya know?

When the fence is in an L like that, they don't get through nearly so well.

When I saw t get done, the people used the actually more expensive, small 2 centimeter etc square, 'hardware cloth' or maybe small rabbit cage type wire, this wasn't a cheap operation, but then it was just around some kinda legal plant. A couple of feet across.

I think if you want to make one, you have to figure out how you can really securely affix the wire to the green plastic tomato spikes, my guess would be a small drill bit, and push a piece of wire through, and tie on to that, so your vertical and your horizontal are both fairly secure.

The animals will definitely try to stomp on it and throw shit on it but maybe that's a call for an outside ring, of the actual rope they use for horses to keep em off wooden fences.

Anyway... that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Unless of course, all this is found to be comPLETELY, untrue. In which case if found out, should be cause for me to amend my post with 'I figured' and sorta segue in from there.

Peaces, except occasionally to
meeces.

Ontario. I'm rural half way between Ottawa and Montreal. My cat brings home more mice than I can shake a stick at (4 a few nights ago). I have two good hunting cats and there's always a litter or two of kittens around.

Mice/rabbits cut the stalks off 2 inches from the bottom. They don't even eat it. Just cut the stalk.

Raccoons dig the plants right out of the ground and throw them aside and keep digging.

I predug and amended my holes in april/may and let the animals investigate and play in it hoping it would help. It didn't. The minute I brought plants out, they went at it.