What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenbeans

rolandomota

Veteran
I use nunua Brand 50 watt LED at Amazon 2 for 28 NUNUA High Power LED Bulb 50W High Watt Commercial Bulbs, 450W-500W Light Bulb Equivalent, Daylight White 6500K E26 Medium Base LED Corn Light Bulb for Garage Warehouse Yard Workshop (Style A-2 Pack)

PCBuds

I use nunua Brand 50 watt LED at Amazon 2 for 28 NUNUA High Power LED Bulb 50W High Watt Commercial Bulbs, 450W-500W Light Bulb Equivalent, Daylight White 6500K E26 Medium Base LED Corn Light Bulb for Garage Warehouse Yard Workshop (Style A-2 Pack)

I like them.

They're more money here in Canada, but it sounds like a better deal than what Greenheart is considering.

PCBuds

They've got some negative reviews...

@Rolandomota, how have they been working for you?
How long have you had them?

PCBuds

Here's another version of the same thing, it's not as many lumens, but it's an "Amazon Choice".
It's got some negative reviews too.

PCBuds

There is also corn bulbs available.

They have the LED segments all around the bulb, so it doesn't use a diffuser.

I don't know about brand names, reliability, or longevity though.

PCBuds

The GE bulbs that you are considering, might be better quality.

GE is a big company that has been around forever, so they may stand behind their products.

Keep your receipts.

Greenheart

Veteran
The GE bulbs that you are considering, might be better quality.

GE is a big company that has been around forever, so they may stand behind their products.
That has a lot to do with my choice as well.

I try to look at overall reviews. There can be a lot of hate on the net when people don't like something. But yes when you start reading about things shorting out or burning up it kind of makes you a bit hesitant.

That is one of the reasons I asked here what people thought. Real people who use it under real conditions. Those bulbs might even be working out for Rolandomota but giving other people nightmares. Sometimes quality control in other areas of the world can be lacking. Other things can be really good products too. I love my subaru for example.

Keep your receipts.

It does have a 5 year (3 hour a day use) warrantee! I doubt it applies to how I'm going to abuse them but it is a comfort knowing they have some faith in the product, science, and QC staff.

PCBuds

... Sometimes quality control in other areas of the world can be lacking. Other things can be really good products too.
.. it is a comfort knowing they have some faith in the product, science, and QC staff.

Everything is made in China now but GE would make sure that the factory is building things according to their specifications and not cutting any corners.

We had a recall on our Colgate toothpaste a few years ago, because the factory in China was putting antifreeze in it.

They like to find creative ways of using lead too. Lol

PCBuds

This is one of my cheapie SILs.

Its got a couple of components plugged into clips from the backside.

A quality build, would have those connections soldered as well, but that's an extra step with someone soldering every bulb.

Caio

I never grow a BB or BB cross

I never grow a BB or BB cross

Subbed

I'm really interested in the outcome

:groupwave:

Greenheart

Veteran
Welcome to the party Caio! Glad to have you with us.

Update: Day 16

I've abused them pretty good at this point. Waterlogged, light burned, and lifeless soil with small rooting pots, and cold temps.

I bet they are happy I'm starting to get my act together!

Here is a picture showing the before and after of lightburn. I had my 32w Daylight Ultrabrite GE bulb at about 8" from the seedlings with a cylinder of reflectix capturing any lost light. Moving the light to about 20" away seemed to help. Lesson learned.

picture.php

Next up some pics of my newest bulb in action.

GE 30W fruit and flowering plant growth bulb. Suggested spacing of 22" above the plants and 16" apart. Here we have it 50" above the newly transplanted seedlings. It is showing 3000 lux and 47ppfd output.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I've completed building the framework for the bed and a header for the entryway. My Amazon pondliner was a crap product. I've seen trashbags thicker. I'm going to the hardware store tommorrow and picking out a thicker one with fiber reinforcing. I don't want to rot any flooring out. The previous grow went 3 years and sat for another 2 before I emptied it. When I pulled it up the floor looked just as it had when I put it down.

I still need to build the drop panel, add ventilation piping, and figure out what I'm going to do for a doorway. Work work work. Then go to work and pay for it all. Who said it would be easy? At least I knew going into it what I was facing. Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. I'm tired of paying for overpriced, early harvested, and barely cured bud. Still months away but I can almost taste it.

Based upon what I've seen I think 4 plant bulbs and 3 daylight bulbs will definitely be a good setup for starters. They will have to wait for a bit. The next big investment will be a new fan. Still debating if I should go 4" or 6". I'm tossing up the vivosun 4" and the vortex s line 6". I"m a big fan of quality components. I want quiet. I'm worried the vivosun might be a crap product. It is rated for double the CFM of my room and 59W. The vortex is 3.5 times the CFM of my room is 72W and has 100% speed control. I know it's quality but it is also 3 times the cost and certainly overkill.

Greenheart

Veteran
I went to the hardware store and bought a thick fiber reinforced $40 "smartpond" brand 84-in L x 120-in W Black PVC Pond Liner. Much bigger than what I needed but it was the smallest they had. I used it on a bigger project so knew it would be ideal. I cut it to 84"x63" for the bed.
picture.php

I then created a leach field with 1 coir brick, 16lbs biochar, some playground sound, and 3" perforated pvc. I created an incline so the natural runoff would go down to the corners of the bed. The sand and some char was packed into the corners to help insure the pipe doesn't cut into the liner somehow. There is also a thick layer of coir under the pipe. It should gradually depress and the incline become less severe. It will also serve as worm habitat.
picture.php

Square 35# mayonnaise bucket. I cut the bottom off to make clearance for the pipe and still allow support for a solid structure.
picture.php

Greenheart

Veteran
Fitting the bucket over the pipes and arranging large chunks of char above the pipes.
picture.php

Second brick of coir added. Top dressing of fullers earth (cat litter), I also added some prilled garden lime, and langbeinite
picture.php

Next I added the 15 gallon worm material. I stuffed the composter full. Rethinking this I will clear out about half the compost, Then in the center add a spare length of perforated pipe to allow some air exchange in the compost bucket. Top dressed with 20 gallons ewc.
picture.php

There it sits in the middle of the bed. A little off center but I'm no engineer. I think it will work pretty well. I still have a few months of veg for the soil to sit and worms to work it over.
picture.php

Today I also found a second style GE 32w grow lamp. They have it in VEG TOO!!! I think I'll be cutting the build down to 6 bulbs. 4 red 2 blue. I know I was supposed to wait but I already had a second drop cord and it looked so pretty calling me from that shelf.
picture.php

Next project will be fans and door! I've already purchased a second hand door complete with hinges and knob for $10. Starting to rethink the whole fan thing. Reviews will get you every time won't they? It looks like I'm going classic style 6" vortex and speed controller. That will put the exhaust setup at $300-350 by the time I run the intake pipes and filter.

LizardMan

Interested to see how this bed works!! Any drain holes in the bottom? Or do you just monitor waterings really well? Im pulling a chair up.

Greenheart

Veteran
Welcome to the thread Lizardman. No drain, no till.

Last time a ran a 5x9 bed and did top watering. I'm hoping to avoid Gnats with a wicking system and keeping the top dry this round.

It's going to be fun figuring it all out. My last bed still had moisture on the bottom few inches 2 years after I stopped growing! I didn't include the biochar or leach system that round. It should help with both water holding capacity and the micro life. I've done hugelkulture beds outdoors. I generally do not have to water those until late summer.

Greenheart

Veteran
I went to check things the next morning. I saw some worms at the top of the bucket but not too many hanging around. Some were under pots as well.

Then it dawned on me. I was keeping the lights 24/7 because it is a new bin and I want them to stay in. I did switch out the bulbs this morning since they don't suggest running them more than 18hrs.

However the white bucket was acting as a luminaire if you will. I put a reflectix cover over top and now there are many more worms in it within an hour.
picture.php

Top off view of the worms at work! Sorry a little out of focus. I was trying to snap it quick before they shrank from the lights.
picture.php

And I now have my own private WORMHOLE!
picture.php

Now it is a matter of time. Even if I pooched the soil mix somehow they will be hard at work moving it all around and making into soluble plant food. I'm so excited!
:hotbounce

Sorry there won't be much action for a few weeks while the plants recover. Hopefully I won't get a bunch of herms from all the stress I put them under.

Ohhh and genius moment just stoned before my eyes! I'm going to lay a cover of Reflectix across a framework and build 6 dropslots. Then I'll just plop them in close the flap and let the roots run wild.

Last edited:

Greenheart

Veteran
I think the soil is composting but in a thermal way. The poor worms are dying off. Not all of them but a large percentage. I might have to wait and try adding them again at a later date.

I feel pretty bad about it. I mixed the soil almost a month ago. I thought it would be settled enough. When I built the bed I used coco bricks. I had to hydrate them. I think all the water and new material started activating the compost pile the worms had been living in. The euro's had been doing well on the surface layer of the trash can. I thought it was time.

If anyone else is making an indoor bed with worms please learn from my mistake. Don't cook you worms. Let the bed settle a bit after you build it before adding the worm farm.

I would also suggest getting your ventilation setup in advance too. The smell is pretty bad. I have opened the closet door to help some with the humidity level. My room smells like dead worms, kelp, and crab. Kind of like an unromantic beach.

Update:

So I burned one and thought about it. The worms under the pots were trying to find moisture. The top dressing of castings was left dry. Not completely but I didn't water it. The most moisture was at the base of the pots.

The worms in the bucket. Where I had thrown most of the top layer of bin were cooking. I had pulled out half the compost and added the pipe but it was still starting to heat up. I spread it across the half of the bin where the plants were not and then watered everything pretty heavy plant included as some of the pots were getting light. The premix soil is very heavy perlite. I put an ossilating fan pointing at the wall so there is some air flow and there is air coming out of the exisiting 10" duct hole when I shut the door. Hopefully the casualties were not as bad as they looked and things improve.

Last edited:

Greenheart

Veteran
A little wobbly at first but I think I'm finding my balance. Passion for work makes it fun and not so much work. I appreciate all the interest, encouragement, and advice. May we all learn from each other and our experiments be they success or failure.

Good news on the worms! the bed itself seems to be doing well by them. I dug around the top area where I spread the compost. There is a good number still alive. Under the pots now I'm seeing little trails of activity like when you flip a rock over.

I then opened the bucket which I had emptied to a few inches. There were a number of brave souls hanging that returned to the chamber of death. I left them working their compost content that things are getting better. Onward my stout little hearties may your offspring be plentiful.

The plants are starting to recover. New growth is getting more rapid. The first set leaves are now about 1 to 2 inches in length. Second set tips are starting to come out of hiding. They are coming into week 3 at this point and 1 has a bit of elongation on the nodes. Most of them are less. I'm betting that one will be a male. In the past I've noticed they tend to get taller than the females. Just a guess. That is the fun part. I'll post some pics soon when the growth really becomes noticeable.

I went ahead and ordered a fan setup. I came in at about $230. I went with a 4" in the end. It is a vtx400 rated at 220 cfm. I want to avoid the overkill and wasted wattage. It will be less noise and I have some narrow space to run the exhaust in. I have a total of 60cf. (2.5wx4lx6h) so no need to push 400+ I saved about $100 between fan and filter and still got quality. I can kick myself later if it doesn't work out.

The filter is a Terrabloom 16" rated for up to 350cfm. I don't know how it compares to the canfan filter I ran previous but it at least rated the CFM and claimed a bit of time in the industry. The ductwork is HG Power white 4" silencer triple wall. It had decent reviews and not a bunch of comments about pinhole leaks from hose clamps banging around in the shipping box. Now to pace in front of the door checking the tracking info every 5 minutes until it arrives. :clock watch:

Latest posts

Latest posts