What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Great Lakes Genetics?

Tynehead Tom

I dunno if people saw my posts in chunkypigs ogkb 2.0 thread regarding his drops at great lakes genetics.
so my experience, and maybe this is all because I'm Canadian I dunno but here goes
1) go to the site..... hard to navigate
2) realize I can't navigate because I "have to" register with them first
3) I register, providing my first and last name, address for shipping, phone number, email address, done
4) but wait..... not done, I have to wait for a confirmation email after my registration is reviewd by site admin..... okay I can live with that
5) get an email saying I'll get yet another email and once I've completed the required task, I can click on the link to register my account

6) scratching my head like WTF , I open email #2. They want a picture of my drivers licence..... never been asked for that in 20 years of buying seeds
7) I protest and they say it is to keep their members secure and I can cover my face on the picture.
8) I replied that's ridiculous and won't be doing business with anyone who firsts collects my personal info by way of a registration requirement and then AFTER THE FACT , demands an emailed copy of my personal documents.

ya, I'll pass.
I'm not posting this to rock the boat, but I think people should be informed about this "before" they give their personal info in the registration, not after the fact.

I'm very surprised some of the big names in the seed biz are even supporting an outfit with requirements like that.
I'll be telling everyone I know to steer clear.
k rant over ;)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm very surprised some of the big names in the seed biz are even supporting an outfit with requirements like that.
I'll be telling everyone I know to steer clear.

You can sign up for the site....and not use your driver's license. It's just to keep those under 21 out of the site. Being responsible 'tis all.

I've had to change password as the one we signed up with (afterthought autos)did not take.

Really, don't slam the man.....their team handling hundreds of emails.

Every seed site I've used had to have personal info in order to mail gear.

Yes, it's easier to "browse" than look up each individual breeder's offering.

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

there emails made it clear if I didn't provide the picture, I wasn't buying from them.
I think it against icmag TOU for me to post the emails up so not gonna go there.
oh well, Ill shut up about it and move on ;)

I've ordered twice and didn't need ID. Once maybe 6-8months ago then a few months later. Is this policy new? I just sexed my gg4xlong bottom leaf freebies. In veg they are uniform so we'll see how 12/12 goes :) bummer to hear about your experience

Pinetar

Tynehead you are the only bad words I've heard about glg. Second thread of you complaining, get a safe Addy, fake ID, and start ordering you will get your stuff. Now stop crying we here in the states are greatful to have GLG.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Get a fake ID? To order seeds? Wtf are you talking about?

It seems tom was just informing us that more info was demanded after he provided all the info a seed co needs. I have never been requested a drivers license and quite frankly would tell them to sod off. Tom also asked if maybe it was because he is Canadian. Do they ship worldwide?

dannykarey

Same on GLG.....wanted to get some of Tony and Chunky's gear to run OD's this season. But it's not worth compromising security for IMHO.

I'm sure the GLG Fam are great peeps, just not cool with the id thing.......Not all of us are legal.

I'm hoping the beans I'm after will be up on the Bay at some point in the near future, one can hope.

Danny

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
...maybe this is all because I'm Canadian I dunno...

Nah, it’s not because you’re Canadian, it’s because it’s MICHIGAN!

And, in a legal sense, the state is in a mess over the MMMA. PURE nonsense.

I imagine they're trying to thread a legal needle. GLG, that is.

Anyone have any info on the legal standing of this business operating in the state? The MMMA doesn’t allow for it. Eventually, if he hasn’t already, Schuette will put a target on ‘em. I sure wouldn’t want my info laying around should that day come.

So yeah, I agree with Tom. Not a transaction I would engage in — and I’m in-state; but that’s the exact reason I wouldn’t...

Get a fake ID? To order seeds? Wtf are you talking about?

It seems tom was just informing us that more info was demanded after he provided all the info a seed co needs. I have never been requested a drivers license and quite frankly would tell them to sod off. Tom also asked if maybe it was because he is Canadian. Do they ship worldwide?

Agreed. A fake ID? Sounds a bit extreme.

According to the site, it’s worldwide shipping, Canada included.

oneofus

I believe you are .......correct. LOL Sometimes being very high and reading comprehension do not go hand in hand.:tiphat:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: ain't that the truth...lmao...

btw, I can't get hold of my safe addy to confirm my seeds got there...I think they went on vacation to costa rica...i'll let you all know if they did get there...for now i am assumng they did...will let you all know soon as i get hold of them

@trout, ty for the rep man. 'preciate it

y'all have a good day :smoke out:

Tynehead Tom

Hey, I'm not whining here. I am new here and getting the feel for things.
I have also been away from the seed buying game for about 10 years. BUt I'm not new at this game, having grown now for more than 1/2 my life. I was buying seeds when all you could get were mail order catalogs.

as far as GLG goes, fuk me , I'm not trashing them in a sense that I think they are a bad seedbank selling crap.... they obviously have lots of good beans and lots of willing customers. However, in the literally 100's of seedbanks I've been checking out over the past year, they are the only one that first took all my info in a mandatory registration process, and then after the fact, demanded identification by email.
That's garbage and dangerous to "me" , call it whining, call it paranoid, call it whatever you want. I brought it to the community in THREE threads actually. This one was the third.

First I wanted to get in on some of chunkypigs beans and they are only at GLG (hook up with cali seed vault or james bean co there chunky)
then I wanted to make sure I was able to get in on Bodhi's 420 drop ..... and again GLG

so ya, I'm kinda miffed, and know I'm not alone by the amount of positive rep I've received over all the posts related to this. My aploogies to GLG supporters , not trying to offend you. That's about all I gots to say about it and have moved on. :D

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
did you email em back? Maybe it was buried under the email rush from the promo starting?
Last I talked to him he had a few hundred emails to answer. Could have been buried just sayin.

KONY

Veteran
did you email em back? Maybe it was buried under the email rush from the promo starting?
Last I talked to him he had a few hundred emails to answer. Could have been buried just sayin.

I just did. Havent had access to email last few days. It's also been 8 days since they received my payment.

He answered me one time. Don't worry, glg is real. Tony sold his last gb drop on the site. Maybe he has a lot of work.. i am also waiting of answer and my money is sended but i don't worry..

Does he writte a value on the envelope? I hope not..

Greetings

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i doubt it green they ship worldwide, says he never lost a package yet knock on wood.

As I said when that promo opened he had a shitload of emails about the details, then it opened and all them orders came through. I'd email again guys if you have been wating just to be sure.

the gnome

Veteran
DY Jeffie is 100% legit
he's under big crush of orders now with the promo
a few 2-3 months ago i got replies in a few hours

he's only 1 guy doing this although I'm betting he's gonna have to hire
help soon if he hasn't already.
the 1st time it took him a day to reply back to me he apologized for not getting back sooner saying he's the only one working the whole tamale.... a whole day to get a reply....what can ya say but what a great guy!

i use to get orders in 5-7 working days
earlier this month i ordered on the 4th,
arrived the 14th
his business is growing, and with the 420promo he's fuggin swamped
so give him time.

Diesel Doctor

Hello All

This is to clear up some issues about Opening a account at GLG,

All we ask for is a MM card or any form of ID that shows you are over the age of 18. All info on the card can be blocked out.
I want a name and the year you were born,EVERY THING ELSE CAN BE BLOCKED OUT.

This was on the advice of my attorney,He felt every thing else is legal.

And If you have a 16 year old kid do you want me selling him seeds.
I was also trying to get Credit cards and they are going to want proof of your age also.

I am sorry this a fends people,but I also do not want to go to Jail for selling to a under age person.

And any one that has not received a return E-mail I have returned over 300,and still have over 400 more,but I will get to them.

Thanks Diesel Doctor aka Dragboat