What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grape Ape

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Here is one of my Grape Ape plants from seeds found in some bomb-ass GApe..
Don't know who the Father is...so it should be interesting-- :headbange

8.jpg

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey guys-love to throw my two cents in: first, those pics by philly look AWESOME as do many pics here. i think the cali scene has kinda blown the grape ape out-have seen numerous cuts purported to be grape ape-the one we had was good, very good, but wasnt shit compared to what i have labelled as GDP(though i think my GDP is actually PURPLE URKLE) the grape i had was in no way(imo) related to gdp or purple urk. let me see if i can dig up some shots:

Subrob-Really Nice job bro

Oneluv and TreeKing-I have no Idea which pheno I have but she is extremely squat even after being vegged for 3 weeks, the Grape Apes are in 6 Gallon Pots Pro-Mix extra perlite and EWC Ph fluctuates between 5.5-6.5 during feedings, this pheno is a heavy yielder. I go over more details in my grow diary. If you "experts" say that I have Pheno 2 then i guess it is Pheno 2. Funny thing to me I must observe is that the odor is not that of what I know of Grape Ape with the heavy Grape Candy/Kool Aid odor/aroma these Grape Apes I have going smell to me like Purple Urkle I mean no mistaking the similarities in which I was not expecting, lets just say I am really confused now, but in a good way lol

Last edited:
E

easyrasta

I dont believe there are any more than 1 pheno
its a cut, 1 pheno, the rest gots to be pretendo.

Finished

Finished

Grape Ape-Soo lovely, clearly related to the Urkle in some aspect their taste are just too similar, with the Urkle being better of course in terms of taste and High but the Grape Ape aint a ugly cousin she is a strain worth praise.

SPLASH

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
philly-now that looks like it came from the urk family! shares traits that i think of as urk. frosty as hell too. mine looked killer, but that stuff looks like the real deal. way to go man......sub

hit us with a report on aroma and taste would ya? thanks

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Philly, You have an incredible stable of the purple strains!!! Respect to you for showing the differences and subtleties of each. Keep it going man!!!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
OGorganic said:
Apthecarys Grape Ape is Pakastani x Skunk 1.

i wonder if thats the one we had. it came from norcal bout year and a half ago. did not have anything in common with the gdp or the p urkle we have down here. was good-tasted great-but diff.

EDIT-og-does it look anything like the pics i put up couple pages ago?

Nspecta

Veteran
subrob said:
i wonder if thats the one we had. it came from norcal bout year and a half ago. did not have anything in common with the gdp or the p urkle we have down here. was good-tasted great-but diff.

EDIT-og-does it look anything like the pics i put up couple pages ago?

subrob~ What you grew as "Grape Ape" is actually Mendocino Purple a.k.a. "The Purps"...and...like ya say, zero relation to Urple/Urkle, GDP, or Grape Ape.

As fer the main cut/s circulated as Grape Ape...most likely just another Urple/Urkle Hybrid...I could see it bein' Urkle x Skunk #1...afterall, Urple/Urkle is rumored to be a Pakistani...really though, there's much better to be found/selected from other Urp/Urk Hybrids.

IGT

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nspecta-thanks for the info. had a bro say the same, but his experience was strictly from smokin, not growin.
whats the general thinking up there bout GDP being a cross with big bud. ive had a killer GDP cut for awhile, but i see absolutely ZERO big bud in her.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I have a clone that was gifted to me that I was told was 'Grape Ape'. It is from a reliable source as everything I have gotten from them in the past has been 'the real deal' - at least that is what I can tell with a little research on the others background.

The only problem that makes me wonder about this particular cut is that this strain does not go purple like I have heard 'Grape Ape' is known to do later in bud. It looks exactly like most the pictures in its structure being very dense and squat and smells exactly of Grape Cool-aid in bud. Potency and taste is phenomenal, yet it doesn't exibit the purple coloring I here is so prominent in this cut. My temps are in the high 80's at times, so I am wondering if this could be the reason? I have not grown this cut in cooler temperatures yet so could this be why the lack of purple?

From what I can see it looks as though it has some of the growth structure of Big Bud and the taste, smell and leaf structure of Blueberry with a more Grape Cool-aid smell too it. I could swear if my eyes were closed I was smelling Grape Cool-aid - that is how exact the smell is.

I forgot to add I believe the bud finish to be around 9 weeks, although I could be off by a bit as I have never checked trichromes for appearance yet. I always harvested them when the AK47 was done which is usually my primary crop. I harvest usually at 8 weeks so I am sure it can go at least another week or two by appearance.

So you guys/gals think I could still have the 'Grape Ape' cut even though it has not exibited its purple color in my grow rooms hotter than normal tempratures, from what I have described above? I will post pictures as soon as the clones get a little larger. I am sure with a picture it will give you all a much better idea.

Thanks in advance!

TGT

Last edited:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rainman again

Thanks for the kind words everyone and Subrob as for the smoke report you will have to head over to my Grow Diary for that I dont want to Hijack this thread anymore seeing that it is not my own, out of respect to Easyrasta. I smoke alot of Purple Urkle-Grape Ape-GDP (The Purple Family) and I must say that this Grape Ape cut that I received is very very Urkle smelling and tasting which has me extremely excited considering she is a heavy yielder, the odor is of intense grape wine not of grape candy like the Grape Ape I was familiar with. And the BCBD Purp is garbage it is related in now way to the Purple Family as most of us know it, I have the fake BCBD Purp running now in my garden and yes it yields and yes it does have a lovely tropical aroma but just not a Purple aroma and that is the whole point for some.

hope you guys don't mind a few more grape ape pics. :)
42585GRAPEAPE2.jpg

42585GRAPE_APE_DRY.jpg

A few people I know were getting seeds. I got a few seeds when I ran it with FFOF (fox farm ocean forest)

Kept the cut around and later ran her in coco.

Am very glad I did. no seeds at all, good potentcy with the grape taste. Stinky in flower.

Last edited:
nspecta good eye.

forgot to add above grape ape in pics was pulled early. gets a very dark purple with more time.

Have grown and smoked grand daddy as well as grape ape and can tell the difference.

Subrob I am not familiar with big bud but I also heard that is the case.

Grand Daddy Purple (Erkle X Big bud)

I have seen GDP that have different names.

Renamed since they came from different sources.

Grand Daddy Purple XO = Cali Clone Original Cut?
Grand Daddy Purple KO = Cash Crop Kens Cut

What I was told. Don't know if it is true

anyone else?

Last edited:

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
goood thread. lovely pics.

ngt :wave: howdy stranger :joint:

indoor urkle for comparison purposes :) id grow it over ape if i had a coli i think. ape is much better tasting tho in my opinion. and yields better. and does better all around. easy to get donkey dicks in my greenhouse with ape, with urkle it same old larfy blah cept the tops :(

winter indoor urks for comparison..we lost our ape mom last summer so if we get it back ill post pics of finished greenhouse GA this autumn for sure!
:)

Latest posts

Latest posts