What's new

Gavita-Pro 1000w 400v (new generation hps)

whazzup

Veteran
no, this is a 400V 600W lamp, not a normal 230V. The lamp voltage for this lamp is much higher than the lamp voltage for a normal 600W HPS lamp. Also it is specifically designed for this Philips high frequency electronic ballast. For low frequency and magnetic 400V ballasts there are other types. In Europe we use a lot of 400V systems so they are more available here. 400V is a European standard thus everyone uses it. So the lamps we bring are something special and specifically made for the European professional horticultural industry.

In the US the lamps are made for different voltages too, such as 347V and 480V. I attached an overview of the Philips US lamps and voltages. The European 400V lamps have a higher output, and the new version will have even 4% more.

Attachments

• Horticulture_Brochure_P-5828-B.pdf
    976.3 KB · Views: 51

Tyga

Veteran
Does it only run 240V? And I would imagine it can't be air-cooled? So I would need to invest in a A/C?

no, this is a 400V 600W lamp, not a normal 230V. The lamp voltage for this lamp is much higher than the lamp voltage for a normal 600W HPS lamp. Also it is specifically designed for this Philips high frequency electronic ballast. For low frequency and magnetic 400V ballasts there are other types. In Europe we use a lot of 400V systems so they are more available here. 400V is a European standard thus everyone uses it. So the lamps we bring are something special and specifically made for the European professional horticultural industry.

In the US the lamps are made for different voltages too, such as 347V and 480V. I attached an overview of the Philips US lamps and voltages. The European 400V lamps have a higher output, and the new version will have even 4% more.

Would you recommend using the 600W Greenpower bulb when dialing down the ballast to the 300W/400W setting, or would it be better to use a 400W Greenpower bulb to do this?

I see that some other ballast manufacturers recommend doing this if possible.

Does it only run 240V? And I would imagine it can't be air-cooled? So I would need to invest in a A/C?

The current range of reflectors are not designed to be air cooled, however I believe that whazzup has mentioned elsewhere that Gavita are releasing an air cooled version of the TripleStar 1000 at some point(they've already been featured at trade fairs), though I'm unsure when they will be hitting the market.

whazzup

Veteran
Is there high voltage systems for the NA market? 480V 1000W Pro?
Yes there are, but standard not dimmable. Those are the horticultural fixtures and they are not sold in the end user market. Gavita makes electronic ballasts for most canadian and US voltages, BUT they all power the 1000W double ended lamp, not the other Philips lamps. For horticulture that is the best lamp. It's made in Belgium, at the Turnhout Philips factories. Philips employs about 2000 people at that location which is specialized in the development and production of HID lamps. 55% of all soccer stadiums are lit by Philips. They are world market leader and hard to top as you can imagine. They produce about 30-40% of all HID lamps on the world market.

whazzup

Veteran
Yes, it only runs on 240. And no, as discussed in this thread it can not be air cooled the way you normally cool a lamp. Whether you need to invest in AC units depends on your local climate. I would imagine you wouldn't in Alaska and would in Arizona ;).

whazzup

Veteran
Would you recommend using the 600W Greenpower bulb when dialing down the ballast to the 300W/400W setting, or would it be better to use a 400W Greenpower bulb to do this?

I see that some other ballast manufacturers recommend doing this if possible.
I don't understand your question. which 300/400 setting? Generally: a 600W lamp at 100% performs much better than a 1000W lamp at 60%. Same goes for 400W and 600W lamps.

The current range of reflectors are not designed to be air cooled, however I believe that whazzup has mentioned elsewhere that Gavita are releasing an air cooled version of the TripleStar 1000 at some point(they've already been featured at trade fairs), though I'm unsure when they will be hitting the market.
I'll tell you when I know. Come visit us in June and July at the trade shows in Great Lakes and San Francisco, I will personally demonstrate it to you ;).

We have the Gavita 1000W 400V EL SE (Single Ended) electronic lamp now which will fit in any 1000W HPS fixture. That is our quickest solution to the demand for air cooled systems in the market. Of course it will also fit in the Gavita TripleStar 1000 AC when it hits the market.

I don't understand your question. which 300/400 setting? Generally: a 600W lamp at 100% performs much better than a 1000W lamp at 60%. Same goes for 400W and 600W lamps.

I'll tell you when I know. Come visit us in June and July at the trade shows in Great Lakes and San Francisco, I will personally demonstrate it to you ;).

We have the Gavita 1000W 400V EL SE (Single Ended) electronic lamp now which will fit in any 1000W HPS fixture. That is our quickest solution to the demand for air cooled systems in the market. Of course it will also fit in the Gavita TripleStar 1000 AC when it hits the market.

My question was regarding the Pro Line 600W unit. I believe that it is dimmable to 300W, 400W, 600W and 660W, is that correct. If so, would it then follow that it would be more efficient to use a greenpower 400W bulb, rather than the 600W dimmed to 400W? I intend to get the complete fixture and use the 400W and 300W settings for vegging and 600W for flower.

I would love to see a demo of these lights, but I'm in the UK, so it's not an option for me I'm afraid.

whazzup

Veteran
1. The pro-600 is not dimmable. The DigiStar is but that is not a 400v Lamp ballast and not an integrated fixture
2. There are no 400V 400W lamps ;)
3. They are available in the shops! call the distributor, Direct Garden Supplies.

whazzup

Veteran
Gotta laugh at the guy complaining about the price of these products, which are a damn sight cheaper in the US than they are in the UK, where the 1000W DE retails at $782 and the 600W at $532.

Consider yourself lucky to get them at those prices my friend.
sales tax works a bit different in the US. The MSRP (before sales tax) is $425,95. Add 20% VAT! UK shop prices are including VAT.

1. The pro-600 is not dimmable. The DigiStar is but that is not a 400v Lamp ballast and not an integrated fixture
2. There are no 400V 400W lamps ;)
3. They are available in the shops! call the distributor, Direct Garden Supplies.

Aah, I see. I was using information provided by the retailer that I will be purchasing from. They must have incorrect data on their site, as they claim the Pro Line 600W and 1000W have dimmable ballast capabilities. I might have to point this out to them, so that other customers are not misled.

Either way, I am still going to get one, and possibly an LEP at some point down the line. I'm looking forward to the prospect of using them together.

whazzup

Veteran
you should. Attached an example of only 400W HPS together with one LEP. 1 Amnesia Haze in scrog, 1x1m tent.

Attachments

• P1100314.jpg
    P1100314.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 16
  • P1100315.jpg
    P1100315.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 14
  • P1100316.jpg
    P1100316.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 18
  • P1100319.jpg
    P1100319.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 15
  • P1100328.jpg
    P1100328.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 19
  • P1100330.jpg
    P1100330.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 16
  • P1100430.jpg
    P1100430.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P1100335.jpg
    P1100335.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 16

mack 10

Veteran
High ya Whazz:) Amnesia looking super healthy and chunky! great pics, What do you think of the gavita dimmable 600 w digital ballasts? i need to upgrade and its a toss up between lumatec or gavita's. Mack

whazzup

Veteran
lol and you are asking me? We from Gavita recommend Gavita :D.

A lumatek is a good ballast. The Gavita has soft-dim (60 secs per step) and a higher overrun output (10% for the 400 and 600 models and 15% on the 1000W models). The Gavita stays a little bit cooler than the Lumatek.

If you don't or hardly ever use dim why not go for the Pro 600, or if you do use dim a lot for a Pro 1000? It is not more expensive than a Lumatek set with remote reflector, and has everything integrated.

Advantages:
+15% extra light
No EMI
Easy installation
Very cool (as in temperature) 240V ballast

you should. Attached an example of only 400W HPS together with one LEP. 1 Amnesia Haze in scrog, 1x1m tent.

Those pics are impressive, I can only dream of what a 600W and an LEP in a 1.2x1.2 tent will be capable of, it should be reeaaal good!

I forgot to ask before, but is the air cooling on the LEP really needed, seeing that it hardly produces any heat, or am I missing something?

whazzup

Veteran
no it is not really necessary, only if you want to get rid all the warm air from your fixtures separately. There is no radiation heat you need to filter through glass as the light is really cool (and you only filter some of the IR with glass, not all of it) so the warmth coming from the fixture is convection heat and will rise. That will never reach your plants if you extract your air at the usual high point in your room.

Some use it to pre-heat up part of the incoming air and pump that down to the plants. It saves them heating costs.

mg75

before dropping a lot of cash on 5 of the 1000s...

how much more heat should i anticipate due to no hood air-cooling? 5-10 degrees? BTU?
we have a sealed room with co2. no air exchange and we would like to keep it like that.

Treebeard

I can't wait for the Great Lakes trade show. I'm heading straight for the Gavita booth! Will there be Gavita products available for sale there?

whazzup

Veteran
I will have to get back on the btu,but we use the pro 1000 here with co2 and an opticlimate in a closed room, in a 5 lamp setup without any problems. The link to the topic on wietforum was posted already somewhere in this topic I think

Treebeard: we don't sell on shows. The only ones selling our products are our distributors. We do not even sell the demos. It's a matter of respecting your distributors ;)

The pro 600 is equipped with Philips electronics. Standard that 240V system is not dimmable. In horticulture we hardly ever dim. If we do we use Dali systems (external and through computer systems). You shouldn't need to dim a system anyway ;)