What's new

Gavita-Pro 1000w 400v (new generation hps)

Doc420

Here is a movie that shows the Gavita light's in a DNA-genetics veg-room.
It is nice to see the hps plasma combination.
[youtubeif]_mCuYcEgkdM[/youtubeif]

Pangea

Veteran
There are remote versions available of the pro 1000 as well is the reflector (HortiStar 1000), but the operating position of the Philips lamps is limited to horizontal.

Any idea of a source for the hortistar 1000 reflector se? Whats the main difference between the triplestar and the hortistar?

Thanks

whazzup

Veteran
There is not 1000W SE (Single Ended) HortiStar reflector yet, only a double ended (why make a reflector for a less efficient lamp?). The difference between the TripleStar and the HortiStar:

TripleStar:
- Adjustable (deep, medium, wide)
- Symmetric / Asymmetric adjustment (keep clear of the walls, create overlap in the middle)
- Replaceable reflector plates
- For single ended lamps up to 750 W
- Efficiency > 90%

HortiStar
- Wide reflector (120 degrees), fixed
- SE version up to 750W, DE version for Double Ended lamp 1000W
- Replaceable (easy to change, lever for unlocking it, SE version can be changed without taking out the lamp)
- Horticultural design
- Efficiency 96%

So the TripleStar is for those who want to adjust their reflectors and have full control (also really handy in small tents), the HortiStar is designed to work in a field of lamps with overlap, though the uniformity of the reflector and the exit angle make it a very good reflector for tents as well. Adjustability comes at a performance price: The HortiStar is 5% more efficient than a TripleStar, but much of that you can regain by adjusting the reflector to keepg the light from your walls.

Both are open reflectors without cooling, the 1000W air cooled TripleStar is expected Q2 next year.

About the DNA genetics video: The plasma lamp looks really blue to the eye if you compare it to HPS, that's why they make the "smurf" comments. However, that is a trick of the eye. The light is actually very white. Also you see that making movies with a 1000W DE is actually not too bad: most cameras adapt surprisingly well to the color.

DNA is not the only breeder that uses Gavita. Many European breeders have been using Gavita fixtures for many years and many are now including the plasma light not only in in their veg rooms, but also their flowering rooms as they have a positive effect on the color and development of the seeds. Professional companies use professional lighting.

onegreenday

Veteran
I like the unit a lot except the light leaks on the end piece.
I watched the Gavita video and lots of light leaks on the ends.

If the fixture is at eye level you'd get hit in the eyes
a lot. Is there a fix planned? thanks

whazzup

Veteran
Compared to a wing the light leaks are minimal. The reflector is very tight and the light output at the head end of a lamp is very low. It will not be a problem for your eyes working with this reflector. I suggest you have a look at one in a shop, there are no plans to fix this as it is really not a problem ;)

onegreenday

Veteran
I want to retrofit my remote PL Light System reflector with the Gavita 600 watt electronic ballast and keep the connection to the lamp socket as short as possible per the Gavita complete unit.

How should I make that connection?
Thanks.

Compared to a wing the light leaks are minimal. The reflector is very tight and the light output at the head end of a lamp is very low. It will not be a problem for your eyes working with this reflector. I suggest you have a look at one in a shop, there are no plans to fix this as it is really not a problem ;)

whazzup

Veteran
I would not recommend you to fit the ballast to the reflector, it is not fitted for that. The output connector would be close to the light. You can shorten the lamp cord to keep the ballast close to your reflector, and mount it vertical against the wall, outside of the light.

If your reflector is more than a year or two old, I would replace it.

AlexTrebek

These retail between 500-600 bucks for anyone interested.
If your one of those fanboys who likes the new gadgets like LED'S and Plasma lighting but you dont have the wallet for their BS prices, I suggest getting this, it's a finely crafted machine and 50-60 cents a Watt beats the pants off the usual 5$ a Watt from HID alternatives.

If your really really interested, hit up Agent-Smith and he can hook you up with a little discount.

Azeotrope

Veteran
spurr -

Have we a release date (retail) for the Cycloptics All-Bright ? Been googling, but can't find a source .......

Regards,

Azeo

AlexTrebek

spurr -

Have we a release date (retail) for the Cycloptics All-Bright ? Been googling, but can't find a source .......

Regards,

Azeo

I believe that CMH will be available after testing is finished but like you I scoured all the search engines for a definite answer.
Most likely about 12 months from now.

whazzup

Veteran
There is a separate CMH thread in this forum. Interesting new development but the ballast hasn't even left the philips prototype benches yet. Of course we have the new Philips lamp and the ballast, Gavita is a Philips business partner.

Thanks for the endorsements guys :)

The price mentioned btw is for a complete fixture including the Philips double ended lamp. If you buy a remote system all together you pay a bit more.

O

OneTokeOver

I just tried to read all 9 pages but a lot of it is very dry and hard to read so forgive me if this has been asked and answered.

I just bought the 1000 DE. I notice in commercial green houses the lights always seem to me at least 6' above the plants. Is this position for supplementing only?

I am lighting a 5' x 5' area in an enclosed room, what is the optimum height above the canopy at the full 1150 watts?

whazzup

Veteran
that depends on how much light you want on your crop. Because greenhouse lighting overlaps multiple times you get high light levels and optimal uniformity with lamps hanging high above the crop. Depending on the crop and the type of climate control (and CO2 or not) I would keep it a minimum of 2' from the crop, given your climate control is in order.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any updates on the projected release date for the air-cooled 1000w DE reflector?

Slimm

Hey whazzup, quick question about the LEP. Is the LEP meant to be a supplemental light or is it designed to be used stand alone.

whazzup

Veteran
I would not just use LEP, that's not efficient in flowering, HPS still outperforms LEP in efficiency. LEP is efficient in the vegetative stage (compared to MH) and as extra quality lighting during the generative stage. The best ratio has not been defined yet and it depends on a lot of factors, but generally adding 1 plasma to 1000 - 1200W seems to be a great combination as in yield and quality. You will always see added quality, but the optimal ratio also depends on the type of lighting and light output of that lamp.Some lamps and closed reflectors have a bit less output.

Flowery Field has a veg room full of plasma In the vegetative stage they report 40% more yield compared to MH, and healthier plants.
hehe I just answered that in another thread, this is the 1000DE thread.

I can tell you though that the 1000 DE fixtures are built in a production hall that is lit by plasma light. Very good against winter depression too.

Latest posts

Latest posts