What's new

Gavita-Pro 1000w 400v (new generation hps)

whazzup

Veteran
NGW (Sunlight Supply) has picked up Gavita, so has Rambridge in Canada. So far you heard a lot about them from me, I am sure some grow reports will emerge on this forum to show you how they do "in real life" ;). Flowery Field already showed the LEP here on the forum, in the UK section there is a grow report with the Pro 600 + LEP, and of course Agent Smith is working on it ;)

There already is a lot of information to be found on other forums such as opengrow and wietforum (last one is Dutch, but you get a long way with google translate).

Hi whazzup I was wondering how available replacement 1000W DE bulbs are?

I'm in the UK and upon searching, couldn't find a stockist of the bulbs.
I was also interested to know how well the Digistar dimmable ballasts perform with regards to RF interference? Is their much feedback on these ballasts yet?

I did try a search, but could only find results for the LEP and 1000W DE ended tests on various forums. thanks

Last edited:

whazzup

Veteran
These are the same lamps that are used in hundreds of thousands of horticultural luminaries so you can rest assured that they will be available. They are on stock at us and our distributors, so every reseller also sells the lamps. They are not commonly available through normal lamp shops, as these are normally just sold to horticultural growers and come in a crate, we had to design a special box for it.

Attachments

• P1020589.jpg
    P1020589.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 16

whazzup

Veteran
The DigiStar ballasts are remote ballasts, so they have the same problem as any other electronic ballast with (long) cords. Safest for EMI is a Pro complete fixture. We make DigiStar remote ballasts and Gavita Pro remote ballasts because the Hydroponics industry asks for remote ballasts, but we prefer complete fixtures. We do make them as reliable and safe as we can, with correct output values for European and American horticultural lamps, soft-dim etc. One way to differentiate ballasts is to feel how warm they become. Better components dissipate less heat.

Can't say it often enough: always mount your (remote) ballast vertical against a wall, out of the reach of the HPS light. That way is will cool best and the cooler the more reliable the electronics. Heat is the biggest enemy of electronic ballasts. If you have a choice of running on 120V or 240V ALWAYS go for the 240: The ballast uses less power running on 240 and much more important: it dissipates less heat because it runs much more efficient. 240V ballasts are also a bit more compact than 120/240 models. Example:

These are the DigiStar 400W & 600W US 120/240. The 600W 240 model is as big as the 400W 120/240 model. Also you can see that the print on the end plate is designed to be readable when the ballast hangs vertical.

Attachments

• Gavita DigiStar 400.jpg
    Gavita DigiStar 400.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Gavita DigiStar 600.jpg
    Gavita DigiStar 600.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 19

Bob-Zilla

NGW (Sunlight Supply) has picked up Gavita, so has Rambridge in Canada. So far you heard a lot about them from me, I am sure some grow reports will emerge on this forum to show you how they do "in real life" ;). Flowery Field already showed the LEP here on the forum, in the UK section there is a grow report with the Pro 600 + LEP, and of course Agent Smith is working on it ;)

There already is a lot of information to be found on other forums such as opengrow and wietforum (last one is Dutch, but you get a long way with google translate).

Hopefully this means we(US/Canada)can have access to the entire Gavita line of products.

whazzup

Veteran
that partially depends on yourself. Most distributors pick up almost all the products, some do it in phases or wait until there is a demand. The latter you can of course influence or speed up by asking for it ;).

javtfs

Hello all,

I have one of the 1000w DE units and I am very happy with it .
I am scared how the plants look like ... They are getting huge !!!

Before I used in flower 1 600 or 2 400 w hps and the difference this time is awesome . I would like to see someone more experienced than me with one of this babies ... rock and roll ... :tiphat:

I have just read this entire thread because I'm very keen on trying a couple of the Gavita Pro units. A lot of the science was way over my head but I really couldn't abide the way spurr was framing his arguments that Whazzup was posting bogus facts and data because he worked for Gavita. That bird won't fly....If one were to post bogus data and then get caught doing so, I would think the loss of credibility here would reflect (hehe) negatively and cause (greater) distrust of the brand. If Whazzup was blowing Gavita's horn, I feel that spurr was blowing Cycloptic's horn even more, and for a "vaporware" line of products that may never be available to actually buy. I think its great that Whazzup is here to answer questions and post news about upcoming Gavita product releases, etc.

Now, Whazzup, can you do anything about the retail prices in the USA? Just kidding...If NGW/Sunlight is distributing them now, the price will start coming down. At double the price of a namebrand digital ballast/bulb combo right now, its a little hard to justify the purchase.

stagehand

whazzup

Veteran
I do not understand those calculations which lead to a "hard to justify". Did you ever do the calc? Even if a complete Gavita fixture incl. lamp would cost twice as much as a remote electronic ballast plus reflector and lamp (which it doesn't, the lamp is included!) it pays back within one cycle if you are not growing watermelon.

Let's face it guys, the Pro 1000 DE retails now at about $530-550. That is is a complete fixture including the Philips lamp.

A lumatek 1000W retails for about $315 - 350. A 1000W Hortilux Super HPS I buy for about $100. Add at least another $100 for a good reflector. So that adds up to about 515 - 550. A 1000W kit with electronic ballast, lamp and reflector would be still about $400.

I think for a superior electronic ballast, a superior reflector and a superior lamp in a professional fixture you have quite a bargain. A professional Gavita fixture does not cost more than any other A-brand hobby combination. But I assure you it produces more light - up to more than 40% more depending on the lamp and reflector you are using right now. If it were only 10% it would pay for itself within one cycle. Again, I do presume you do not grow parsley ;).

But I assure you it produces more light - up to more than 40% more depending on the lamp and reflector you are using right now. If it were only 10% it would pay for itself within one cycle. Again, I do presume you do not grow parsley ;).

True that, whazzup. Im kind of a cheap bastard...got that from my father. No parsley here, just some tasty salad greens, hehe. I do see the logic of your statement, for sure. And I love new tech...

stagehand

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
extra wattage, more lumens and the spectrum of the double ended bulbs are better arent they ??

im keen to get some up asap,,

whazzup

Veteran
I really appreciate being careful with your money and wanting to spend it right (I'm Dutch so trust me I know), but really, this is a no-brainer if you calculate the potential extra yield you get from just one lamp one run.

You will get more lumens (but that is not what we are after) and indeed more micromoles for less electricity. The +15% is a nice extra. The spectrum of the double ended lamp is optimized for PAR and output, not for lumens and lamp life.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
I'm probably picking one of these up (1000w) for my next grow... Someone asked about replacement bulbs but the rough retail price wasn't mentioned in the answer.. Just wondering what the replacement bulb retails for?

Cheers for the info whazzup

Well, I've decided to pull the trigger and get myself the Pro 600W complete fixture unit after reading and seeing positive results with it.

I realise that the ballast is tuned for use with a Philips greenpower bulb, and I intend to use this for flower, but what I wanted to know is, do most other brands of bulb work with it(are there any to avoid), and how do metal halide bulbs fare?

I want to have the option to veg under metal halide using a 400W bulb.

Gotta laugh at the guy complaining about the price of these products, which are a damn sight cheaper in the US than they are in the UK, where the 1000W DE retails at $782 and the 600W at $532.

Consider yourself lucky to get them at those prices my friend.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 400 volt lamp (and ballast) used by the Pro fixtures isn't compatible with standard lamps, I believe.

Latest posts

Latest posts