What's new

Gavita-Pro 1000w 400v (new generation hps)

greenwithenvy

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

whazzup

Veteran
sorry guys I have been busy on a few trade shows.

Footprint: that is not an easy answer. The effective spread depends on the number of fixtures you use and the height you have available. As a single fixture you can cover aprox. 3x5' (without wall effect!) but used in conjunction the extra light outside this spread is put to use to create uniformity of light and will of course add to the overall average intensity.

3-4 foot apart in line is generally the best positioning.

Nice setup you have there. If I look at your walls the lamp can go a little bit lower still. For veg this is sufficient at 18 hours, depending on your style of grow.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I really want to try one of these. Even Better if I can convert to bare bulb vertical. They look great. I wanted to put 1 1000w in the center and my original 600w super lumens Lumateks on the ends so 600,1000,600....

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I really want to try one of these. Even Better if I can convert to bare bulb vertical. They look great. I wanted to put 1 1000w in the center and my original 600w Lumatek on the ends so 600,1000,600....

Yes they do look great! Hopefully by the time I get done with my current experiment they will have their enclosed hood on the market......

whazzup

Veteran
not a chance Rives! The 1000 DE can not be air cooled. It's a nitrogen filled lamp and loses a lot of light when cooled. Same goes for vertical: lamp was developed for horizontal position.

TLoft13

What about the Phillips 600W 400V, Whazzup? Can it be used vertically?
If not, is there another lamp from the gavita Homepage you would recommend?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not a chance Rives! The 1000 DE can not be air cooled. It's a nitrogen filled lamp and loses a lot of light when cooled. Same goes for vertical: lamp was developed for horizontal position.

Thanks, Whazzup. I had assumed from your earlier posts that when the air-cooled hoods came out, this fixture would be included. Now I feel better about having jumped into the 315w equipment!

whazzup

Veteran
the 600W 400V is universal position. Out single ended lamp will be universal position as well.

I attached the Philips specsheet.

Attachments

• GreenPower T 600W EL 400V E40.pdf
    200 KB · Views: 49

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DE bulbs are not designed to run vertical. It would be a cluster fuk if you tried to make one..

whazzup

Veteran
very true. I have seen the first 315 fixtures in Europe with the standard (!) CDM light retail for € 750 (that's $900!). That is a lot of money for a metal halide 315 lamp. True, it is more energy efficient than any other metal halide, but imagine replacing 0ne 1000W HPS with this lamp: $2700 for the CDM versus $590 for the 1000W HPS. You can burn a lot of electricity for $2100 ;)

Now you could argue that the same goes for the plasma (retails at about $1250). However, the plasma does have UVA and UVB in the spectrum, a better CRI and a longer life and most of all, not much IR in the radiation at all, where the CDM is a very hot lamp.

There is something else you need to take into account. If you use the 315 for additional lighting you need a very wide hood. One 315 is more than enough for supplemental lighting of one or even two 1000W HPS. But how are you going to hang these fixtures to create the same spread?

Every lamp has its place in the market, T5, induction, PL, LED alike. It is just that you need to be careful to select the right lamp for the right purpose.

whazzup

Veteran
btw, just a heads up: the blackening in the arc tube is caused by us firing the lamp up for a few seconds in the final quality and safety check every fixture undergoes. This causes chemicals to temporary deposit near the burners. It is not a sign of old lamps, running them for about an hour will make the arc tube clear. Actually for photography we always burn them for an hour to make them clear. So you are not getting old lamps :).

whazzup

Veteran
We have no CMH lamp available for this ballast or reflector (K12-30S fitting) nor are we planning one. We don't think MH is a good option as for the spectrum, spectrum maintenance and lamp life (6-8 months), and the good CMH are only available in medium watt models and mostly low frequency models. We recommend though a combination of plasma and HPS during flowering.

whazzup

Veteran
no, that depends on the use and required light levels. When used as additional lighting you can light a bigger space, as you need less light intensity.

A

ak-51

On the 1000w Pro fixture, is it possible to orient the ballast straight in line with the reflector, or is it permanently fixed in that L shape?

I ask because I have limited vertical space inside my tents and turning the ballast 90 degrees would save me what looks like about 8-10 inches.

C

Capital G

Just read this whole thread...whew!!!! I'veg looking at gavita products for a few years now and i will take the plunge when I move to a new house shortly. Great thread!!!! Very informative!!!