What's new

Gavita DE vs. CMH 630w systems: pros and cons of both?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So u would prefer CMH over the Gavita?

I like the results im getting in my 5x5 with a LEC 630.. The 630 is 2 315 bulbs in 1 reflector. Quality is just as good as any I have run under 1k's. Yield is hard to quantify due to other factors beyond bulb wattage. If you have a 5x5 tent I would be surprised if you got unfavorable results using CMH.

Now that they have 630w CMH de bulbs I'm pretty sure they will be better then running 2 315w bulbs. I might take out my LEC 630 and replace it with 1 DE 630 with a adjust-a-wing reflector. The will give a few more inches of head space, reduce the weight and provide better edge to edge coverage. I dont like the design of SS LEC 630 reflector.

I thought this was a good review of these CMH bulbs..

[YOUTUBEIF]ELjXp4iR2HI[/YOUTUBEIF]

Last edited:

dbkick

Thats wuts up, cant wait to hear yall results. The only thing i didnt get with the de double ended 630 was they said its life span could be shortned. Just wonder by how much...
Lifespan would be shortened due to DE ballasts operate on a ultra high freq sine wave, the 315 was designed to run on LFSW. The high freq sine is going to cause resonance in the lamp shortening its life by how much would probably depend on the ballast and amount of thd.

srich250

Even if you don't do a full grow on here please just update what you see running the 630s in the acdes. I run all acde and I hope to put a few of the double ended metal halide in this winter. I tried 6 of the 315s over a 5x8 last winter and the while the quality was superb the penetration was not close compared to the 2 1000s next to it. The plants were big which also didn't help but I think the new 1000 watt metal halide might have some real potential.

Hey man, yeah I will for sure. I'm running everything in that grow under 1000 DE AC\DE goods like you!!!! Those hoods have been the best that I've tried yet. I use those bulbs for the first 14 days taking advantage of high heat and more photons since this stage is really a late veg stage until flowers start forming. . Then tomorrow the 630CMH bulbs go in for the remainder of 6-8 weeks 😁!!! I'm soooooooo stoked to do such a killer comparison ! I can't wait to see the differences between same clones strains under each light type.
Fluence spyderX plus VS DE ePapillion vs 630CMH!!!!! Plus this is only my 3rd time doing a full coco run and since I pretty much killed about 135 girls early at week 6 because of severe nutrient burn (caused from letting them dry out too often feeding with high ppm :-(), the last thing I'm going to do is bUrn them again. I've learned so much about soil testing , temp/humidity, VPD and disease control, root zone health probably being #1, etc etc and I love learning about horticulture plant science and botany.

So now about every couple days or so I'm soil testing and watering with more runoff since I run higher nutes than most that I've seen on here and I NEVER. Try to let them dry below 100% humidity in the root zone. I have on a couple accidentally already and then I do a soil test the next couple days in a row after a flush with EC 1.0 until the runoff is ec1 or 500ppm just to make sure I don't get salt buildup.

So far they are looking great and most were flowering at day 9/10. I will take pics before I install the new CMH bulbs tomorrow and post as I go:)!

My two GB CMH 315 are making all the different strains under them look and smell and are stickier compare to the de 1000's and 600's. But the same in those qualities as two LED's I'm running the same strains under. Only difference is the GB's are creating larger plants and looking like way more yield. Gram/watt I will try and track and will report at the end. The 1000 DE also has 3 of the same strain and I'm impressed that its yield is actually looking like way more than the single CMH 315 it's competing with. I'm guessing the only reason the top buds under the 1000 aren't as sticky or smelly is because i have ran it at 24" for the first 4 weeks and it's probably evaporating more terpenes than the others.

We shall see once I start posting pics. I will try. I have the last two weeks documented already 😬

srich250

Thx a lot. Yeah I'm a little overwhelmed but Lovin it!!!!
I've only had one problem this grow so far. My top 6-10" of leaves are burning from the lights. I went from 1000w de in the AC/de good down to 630w CMH in the same hood and kept the light the same 24" away.

srich250

Burning of leaves now that's switched to 630w CMH

Burning of leaves now that's switched to 630w CMH

Hey, have any of you had a problem where you swapped out a 1000w HPS to 630 CMH DE and then your leaves started to burn ?

I posted my issues in the infermery forum for help.

DE cmh

DE cmh

Sooo... I know a few of you have tried out these new DE 630 cmh. How about a quick update on your impression of its performance?
What ballast are you using?
Coverage area?
Color temp?
Any bulb failure?
Thinking of pulling the trigger on one, but the bulb life makes me hesitate a little.

Nug shot of my last cmh run with ACE gear

Attachments

• 20160812_043517.jpg
    20160812_043517.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 17

frostqueen

I'm really interested in an update, too. What hoods are these fitting into again? Gavitas? I have the Galaxy ballasts...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I got one but havent tried it yet. My gavita runnin at 1000 is killin it n i defoliate so that light reaching the lowers is important, not sure how well the 630 will do in that category. Got it more for when heat was an issue but havent had heat issues yet...

AnonEmouse

The coverage looks to be a 5x5. Currently running a dual spectrum 630 CMH in veg along with the DE HPS and DE MH also. My preference is the 630 CMH all day long in VEG, it does a great job hardening the girls off for the intense DE lights in flower room while providing the best veg growth ive ever seen (bar outdoors, but very similar to outdoor veg growth).

In flower, I also run 630 CMH intermingled with the DE HPS. ~2-3 ft is an ideal distance and be careful as these babies can burn/bleach if too close just like the DEs. While the final verdict is not in, I really like what I am seeing so far. More info to come in the future.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I put a 630 in a gavita turned down to 600, kept cutting off so i went to the product description n it says they dont work in gavitas, just a heads up for other doofusses who dont read before buying. Now i need a good fixture for it, whats best and/or cheapest to run these 63pw double ended bulbs?

I'm going to run a Nanolux DE-4x4 next to their CMH 630w Dual bulb fixture in a 4x8 gorilla tent. I might run one fixture at a time on a light mover or both spaced out, or both on the mover... not sure yet how this will play out yet.

The 630w Nanolux beat the 1000w DE handily. I had to dial back the 1000w to 660w-750w or there was too much heat. The plants had entirely different nutrient needs and they were much weaker in THC levels than the LEC lights.

I am switching to all LEC from here on out.