What's new

Fox Farm Ocean Forest is now recycled soil

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
RE: Roots Organic Potting Soils

They are NOT mixed 'inside' - they like anyone else mixing soils use the myriad of mixing companies up and down Oregon's Willamette Valley. The owners buy their base ingredients from the same companies that I do. They do buy the right ingredients.

It's their friggin' pricing that I have an issue with. Buying the VERY same base ingredients (organic peat moss, organic coir, etc) that they do, I can mix the EXACT soil for about $4.50 per 1 c.f.

Some shops in Portland sell this for $25.00+ per 1 c.f.

Laughable.

CC

W

whiterasta

I pay 9$ and you are absolutely right about contract mixing. Rexius in Eugene makes at least a half dozen brands including black gold.Roots is blended up near Woodburn I believe. Even if it is not mixed indoors I have never gotten a soggy sack like I have with FF.
WR:tiphat:

NUG-JUG

My local shop is getting in the new humboldt nutrients soil so I'm getting some and giving it a try, I posted if anyone has used it yet but noone replied. Gotta pick up some stuff from there today, maybe it came in.

Hey CC I remember you saying that Humboldt Nutes are shady as they sell two products under different names\prices, that have the same nutrient profile?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Hey CC I remember you saying that Humboldt Nutes are shady as they sell two products under different names\prices, that have the same nutrient profile?
NUG-JUG

Here are the ingredients as listed BY THE REGISTRANT - i.e. Emerald Triangle. These ingredients were submitted to the Washington State Department of Agriculture. The entries below are the analysis of their products.

Humboldt County's Own Bushmaster 0-0.1-0

As submitted: Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) - 0.1000

Humboldt County's Own Gravity Flower Hardener 0-0.1-0

Even the levels of heavy metals are exactly the same on both products.

Heh........................

CC

Last edited:
V

vonforne

I used some FF a few years ago and had nothing but problems and ended up amending FF. LOL I had all kinds of problems ad for 21,00 per bag in Florida. Amend it and ten cyce it .......it works great then.

V

G

Guest 88950

im glad i found this thread b/c i figured i brought those root aphids in somehow and im mixing a new batch of soil up and im not using FFOF to see if it was the problem.

it sucks b/c ive got girls at diff. stages of flower and only one flower room and the last chop should be in 45-50 days. im tempted to chop the younger girls before their time just to get the soil out of my house.

maxmurder

Veteran
NUG-JUG

Here are the ingredients as listed BY THE REGISTRANT - i.e. Emerald Triangle. These ingredients were submitted to the Washington State Department of Agriculture. The entries below are the analysis of their products.

Humboldt County's Own Bushmaster 0-0.1-0

Humboldt County's Own Gravity Flower Hardener 0-0.1-0

Even the levels of heavy metals are exactly the same on both products.

Heh........................

CC

not positive but i think the humboldt nutes i was talking about are different from the the makers of the gravity and bushmaster products, aren't they from golden triangle? different shelves at the store at least.

maxmurder

Veteran
RE: Roots Organic Potting Soils

They are NOT mixed 'inside' - they like anyone else mixing soils use the myriad of mixing companies up and down Oregon's Willamette Valley. The owners buy their base ingredients from the same companies that I do. They do buy the right ingredients.

oopps, third party story- sorry for bad info thanx 4 correction

M

milehimedi

I know a lot of people who have switched to coco for the overall consistency of everything with it. I myself have used a good bit of FFOF with no issues. Sounds like you norcal folks are gettin the shaft.

never ever had problems with fox farm and i have used them for years... this is a shocker. has anyone tried calling the company... unless this is just a bogus flame. for real, call the company. they got nothing but their name, so they should be responsive... if they aren't... fuck um.
I only use them cuz on moonshine mix.
Remember, even a great company gets a few fuckups... eg. toyota

I

Iron_Lion

I burned thru about 20 something bags of fox farm soil this year, the ocean forest, light warrior and planting mix and I have no complaints. I've been using fox farm brand soil for years and have never had anything but quality, fresh, fertile mix, never had a problem.

proof is in the plants, they love it!

slackx

Veteran
Yep ocean forest is some bullshit now a days. Switched to promix havn't looked back.

never ever had problems with fox farm and i have used them for years... this is a shocker. has anyone tried calling the company... unless this is just a bogus flame. for real, call the company. they got nothing but their name, so they should be responsive... if they aren't... fuck um.
I only use them cuz on moonshine mix.
Remember, even a great company gets a few fuckups... eg. toyota
I never called the company but we did exchange a series of emails a couple months ago when I had some problems with a couple bags of Ocean Forest.
At first I was sort of blown off for a couple days by Fox Farm. Then when I mentioned that I had photos of their new soil next to the original Ocean Forest and the photos appeared to show root balls in the new soil fresh out the bag, and that I had already put these photos up on this site, then my email made it straight to the Fox Farm National director of marketing.

In that email with The National Director of Marketing, TM(her initials, I wouldn't put her name up here) she did admit that FoxFarm had now opened a new East Coast production facility in South Carolina, and that they were using slightly different ingredients.

If I wasn't so ignorant of computers I would post those series of emails here. But I know next to nothing about computers.

I did have a thread on here a couple months back that showed the pics of their "New East Coast flavor" next to the original Ocean Forest.

Again If I wasn't so computer illiterate I would post a link for that also.

Bottom line, I have on my computer, straight from the Fox Farm National Director of Marketing an email stating that Ocean Forest is now different for those of us East of the Rockey Mountains. From what I was told, no one East of the Rocky Mountains will be getting the real original NorCal made Ocean Forest.

I will no longer using Ocean Forest after five years of use.

Check out these photos I took of Ocean Forest straight out of the bag.
Notice the tons of extra perlite and the squared off chunks that appear to be root balls.
I was told by the FoxFarm National Director of Marketing that this new East Coast produced Ocean Forest will have a more brown appearance like shown in the bowl of soil on the right(the new stuff). She did say that there is not supposed to be the extra perlite that can be seen in the photo. She stated that there was likely a mixing problem and she would contact the company mixing the East Coast Ocean Forest for them.
The "Old" Ocean Forest is in the bowl on the left. Notice how much darker it is compared to the "New" stuff.

Attachments

• DSC00489.jpg
    DSC00489.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00495.jpg
    DSC00495.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 13

slowhand15

I used FFOF for a long time mixed with bat guano and it always performed well.

I use a homemade mix now cause it is too expensive.

I'm taking Clackamas Coot's advise and switching to Sunshine Professional Organic Growers mix. That along with my mix of 10-14 soil amendments that I add depending on what I have on hand.

Grendelkhan

It seems like this always happens to the good soils. I remember back in the day it was all about Black Gold. Then it started being used alot and it started to fall off. So I guess it happens to all the best. Get with the Cocco and you won't have to worry about soil anymore.

lipsmcgee

Wow, I guess I'm glad I'm west of the rockies! The bag I got a couple of weeks ago looks like the dark stuff, never seen it all brown before, hopefully I won't.

trichome

I live in the rocky mountains, I did notice my last bag of FFOF had some large wood chips(2-3inch) in it that I never noticed before. I am still using it in a slightly amended moonshine mix. I will contact my local retailer and see if they can find out from their distributor which facility their FFOF is being produced.