What's new

Food for thought.

maryj315

G. Sensi said:
Well if I were to say Im human because I have hair or arms or legs... my argument would be flawed because lots of living creatures have all of those things... The point is that Learning and being taught something is not unique to the Homo Sapiens therefore doesnt prove that I or any of us are human...

Bless

-G

Yes that is my point what other animal furthers what it has learned on its own none just us

Every thing except god had to be taught or pre wired like birds and some other species

If i take your belief as fact then i am in a fools argument i have no way to win because their is know way to prove other wise

Just answer this we did just fine as hunter gathers and having no language why are we driving cars and shooting the shit about our own existence

Mj

maryj315

characteristic of humanity; "human nature"
relating to a person; "the experiment was conducted on 6 monkeys and 2 human subjects"
homo: any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
having human form or attributes as opposed to those of animals or divine beings; "human beings"; "the human body"; "human kindness"; "human frailty"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Humans, or human beings, are bipedal primates belonging to the mammalian species Homo sapiens (Latin: "wise man" or "knowing man") in the family Hominidae (the great apes). ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human

"Human" is a song recorded by British synthpop band The Human League. It was released as the first single from their 1986 album Crash. The track was written and produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, best-known for their work with Janet Jackson.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (song)

HUMAN is a Kiwi death metal / grindcore band from Christchurch, New Zealand. Formed in 1992, the band is lead by Scott Spatcher Harrison (Vox/Guitars), Vaughn Richardson (Vox/Bass), Kezz Brewster (Guitars) and Paul Harrison (Drums).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (band)

Human is the fourth album released by Death in 1991. It marked the beginning of a major stylistical change for Death. The actual sound of the album is much more technically accomplished and progressive than Death's previous strictly brutal efforts. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (album)

In the science fiction universe Stargate SG-1 the Tau'ri (Terran in Ancient) (Midgard in Asgard) Homo sapiens sapiens or (sometimes spelled Tauri, and often spoken as "People of the Tau'ri" Also possibly "The Bulls" as Tauri is the plural form of the latin word for bull, Taurus. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (Stargate)

In the Star Trek science fiction universe, Humans/Terrans (Homo sapiens) are one of the races undertaking interstellar travel. Human beings were instrumental in the founding of the United Federation of Planets. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (Star Trek)

Humans are a race in the fictional Star Wars universe. They are the most numerous and dominant species, with apparently millions of major and minor colonies galaxywide.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (Star Wars)

Humans are one of the many races in the fictional Babylon 5 universe. They appear in all seasons of Babylon 5, and all of its spinoffs. Their homeworld is Earth, from which the interstellar Earth Alliance is governed. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (Babylon 5)

Humans in the Jak and Daxter universe are nearly the same in appearance to real life humans aside from having elf-like ears, possibly for aesthetic charm on the creator's part. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (Jak and Daxter)

"Human" is an electronic song performed by British group Goldfrapp. The song was written and produced by Alison Goldfrapp and Will Gregory for the duo's debut album Felt Mountain (2000). It was released as the album's third single in February 2001.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (Goldfrapp song)

Human is a studio album released by Rod Stewart on March 12, 2001 (see 2001 in music). It was Rod’s nineteenth studio album and first on Atlantic Records (Atlantic 7567-83411-2). It produced the singles “Run Back Into Your Arms”, “I Can't Deny it”, and “Don't Come Around Here”.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (Rod Stewart album)

Humans are a race available for player characters in the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game. Although short-lived by comparison, humans are the most populous of all Dungeons & Dragons races. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (Dungeons & Dragons)

"Human" is the lead single released by Skye Sweetnam off of her second album Sound Soldier. The song was produced by production group The Matrix. The song was released on her MySpace as a sneak peek, while the full version was leaked to the internet on September 8, 2007. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human (Skye Sweetnam song)

A human being, whether man, woman, or child; Of or belonging to the species Homo sapiens or its closest relatives; Having the nature or attributes of a human being
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/human

of mankind, as in : Imagination is a human trait.
www.business-words.com/dictionary/H.html

The term `environment' cannot stand on its own and should always be used in combination with a given object, region or condition. ...
www.jsdnp.org.jm/glossary.html

A species of LYMPHOCRYPTOVIRUS cultivated from cultures of BURKITT LYMPHOMA. It is thought to be the causative agent of INFECTIOUS MONONUCLEOSIS. [1]
healthonnet.org/Dossier/MotherChild/child_virus/virus_mononucleo.html

There is "currently no official nomenclature for human genes, however, the Human Gene Nomenclature Committee (part of HUGO) is currently ...
www.genomicglossaries.com/content/printpage.asp

resource management: Activities are recruiting, hiring, training, developing, and compensating personnel.
ibacnet.org/bai2007/proceedings/Papers/2007bai7686.doc

a measure of structure of all human relations, defining intensity of his activity.
econews.uz/econews/rus/lib/ANG/-Q-/SLoQa.htm

the standard race
explanation-guide.info/meaning/Stick-in-the-Mud.html

popey.com skeleton of what Boat Jet Performance they conclude is the earliest known gunshot victim in the New World. wounds, gunshot. Disruption of structural continuity of the body as a result of the discharge of Taxes Audits & Resource Center - firearms. (12 Dec 1998). Kayla shnlog. ...
lachfarm.com/phpgraphy/pictures/PartyAnimals/thumbs/fevcolil.html

Specifically, unaltered humans. riven are not humans, neither are mutants, animates or beasts. Paradoxically, paladins are altered but are still considered human. Adepts are human. In general parlance, someone who could walk down a street in modern times without raising alarm.
www.savageearth.net/glossary.html

The generic term given to any inhabitant of the universe that can trace their genetic makeup back to Earth or Dione.
www.madram.bravehost.com/writing/the_pearl/glossary.htm

Insomnia, ToD, Sky
www.experiencefestival.com/a/Warcraft_III/id/2015550

Find definitions

I think it time we get some facts in this thread

Mj

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....MY EYES!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....MY EYES!!!

Wow...that was a super-ultra-hyper-cut & paste....I'm afraid my optic nerves have sustained irreparable damage...

plagiari.jpg

G. Sensi

As you said:
maryj315 said:
Humans, or human beings, are bipedal primates belonging to the mammalian species Homo sapiens (Latin: "wise man" or "knowing man") in the family Hominidae (the great apes)
I didnt really read any of the other definitions as they refered to Star wars, Rod Stewart, Death metal and Dungeons and dragons....

But Isnt the definition quoted exactly what H3ads bein sayin all along?

We cannot really prove to be Human without proving we are Homo Sapiens... And we can only really prove we are Homo Sapiens thru our genetic make-up ie DNA....

-G

maryj315

accessndx said:
Wow...that was a super-ultra-hyper-cut & paste....I'm afraid my optic nerves have sustained irreparable damage...

plagiari.jpg

Damm you are smart nothing gets by you pure genius

Mj

maryj315

G. Sensi said:
As you said:
I didnt really read any of the other definitions as they refered to Star wars, Rod Stewart, Death metal and Dungeons and dragons....

But Isnt the definition quoted exactly what H3ads bein sayin all along?

We cannot really prove to be Human without proving we are Homo Sapiens... And we can only really prove we are Homo Sapiens thru our genetic make-up ie DNA....

-G

According to one of those definitions their is currently not one although their is a link i have not read so who knows

Accessndx nothing gets by you so what are your thoughts on this subject or are you just going to troll the thread

Mj

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
maryj315 said:
Accessndx nothing gets by you so what are your thoughts on this subject or are you just going to troll the thread

I can't participate in this conversation fully because I hardly believe I'm even human at all. It's also apparent that it's a dialogue with no end. Hell, I don't even believe 99% of what's purportedly reality, so you won't get anything useful from me. It's more likely you'll hear something that will drive you insane. So my reticence is for your protection.

G. Sensi

We didnt teach ourselves everything we know...

What kind of animals do planes look like? My guess is Birds...

What kind of shape do under water vessels look like? My guess is Fish...

We learned to hunt from the Lions, Tigers and other predators...

We learned where to find clean water from animals....

This list goes on and on...

Man is Man... Thats without a doubt... maybe we can build cars, but I really hate when people talk like we are so much more superior than animals... they've been here "survivng" far longer than we have...

We are also the only species that Kills itself "cus he looked at me"....

Last edited:

maryj315

G. Sensi said:
We didnt teach ourselves everything we know...

What kind of animals do planes look like? My guess is Birds...

What kind of shape do under water vessels look like? My guess is Fish...

We learned to hunt from the Lions, Tigers and other predators...

We learned where to find clean water from animals....

This list goes on and on...

Man is Man... Thats without a doubt... maybe we can build cars, but I really hate when people talk like we are so much more superior than animals... they've been here "survivng" far longer than we have...

We are also the only species that Kills itself "cus he looked at me"....

Why do we do all those things?

What is the reason why we want to know?

Other animals do not seem to give a shit at least i have not noticed any

I do agree with you i do not think we are as important as we may think man being man is a good point maybe this is just what we do

Mj

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
gramsci.antonio said:
those are convention, that even a stupid computer could learn.

If i point something with my smallest finger, rather than the usual one, you'll still look where i'm pointing rather than looking at the finger. This is abstraction: the capability of using yet known things to solve new problems.

And this is the big leap forward that human being met: the neanderthalians had a bigger brain, but the sapiens had more capibility of abstraction, and thus (maybe) we won.

Anyhow there's been several tries is finding abstraction in animals, but no one suceed. You can teach the animal for sure, but there's no evidence of original behaviour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_human_behaviour

Bullshit.

Many higher animals are able to learn through observation and adapt their behavior according to what they have learned.

Bottlenose dolphins have been observed learning how to hydroplane in odrer to reach previously unobtainable food sources in shallow water.....this is a new, learned behavior the dolphins figured out themselves. Learning how to do something you have never done and no one has taught you takes abstract thought.....

Chimps have been observed using tools of many kinds.....developing a tool takes abstract thought........

maryj315

genkisan said:
Humans are not the only animals who fuck for pleasure by a long shot.

Dolphins, as previously mentioned. Here is a short quote from Wiki, the footnote numbers refer to the studies from which the info was taken:

Another very well known species that fuck fer fun are Bonobo chimps.

Bonobos screw face to face, engage in oral and anal sex, masturbate, have threesomes and gay sex and use sex for a hell of a lot more than just makin' babies. It plays a crucial role in their societal structure, and is used to create bonds and alliances as well as get the monkey off.

As well, homosexual behavior (from brief dalliances to same sex life partnering) has been observed in well over 400 different species including gorillas, chimps, many birds, dolphins etc......and that sure ain't fer makin' babies.

Please inform yourself about the things you comment on before you post...it just makes ya look silly.

And it is precisely this whole bullshit attitude of "we are superior to all other things on this planet "yada yada" that has gotten us teetering on the brink of extinction clutching out Big Macs.
Mebbe if we saw the rest of the world's inhabitants as fellow travellers on this funky wet mudball as opposed to inferior things put here for us to kill, displace and destroy, we would not be midst of destroying our only home....and bragging about it.

Just finished up some reading on Bonobos interesting shit

Mj

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
Besides, as conceited anthrocentric humans we tend to define intelligence and the like by what we have evolved....mainly language and tool using.

What would be a useful form of intelligence for a human is very different than what would be useful for a dolphin.....so because it does not fit our narrow definition of intelligence, we discount it.

A good example of what I am talking about can be seen in a story about Koko the gorilla. She was once given an IQ test designed for human children, and one of the questions showed four items (ice cream cone, house, flower and something else) and asked which one is good to eat. She she gave "flower" as her answer...because she happens to like eating flowers better than ice cream.

This is merely a small example of how erroneous it is to try and judge the intelligence/sentience of other animals by our standards.

There is a HUGE trans-species cultural gap that makes defining intelligence/sentience other than our own very difficult.

maryj315 said:
Just finished up some reading on Bonobos interesting shit

Mj

Do some reading about a Bonobo named Kanzi, who has demonstrated reemarkable capacity for language, many say more so than Koko.

G. Sensi

genkisan said:
Besides, as conceited anthrocentric humans we tend to define intelligence and the like by what we have evolved....mainly language and tool using.

What would be a useful form of intelligence for a human is very different than what would be useful for a dolphin.....so because it does not fit our narrow definition of intelligence, we discount it.

A good example of what I am talking about can be seen in a story about Koko the gorilla. She was once given an IQ test designed for human children, and one of the questions showed four items (ice cream cone, house, flower and something else) and asked which one is good to eat. She she gave "flower" as her answer...because she happens to like eating flowers better than ice cream.

This is merely a small example of how erroneous it is to try and judge the intelligence/sentience of other animals by our standards.

There is a HUGE trans-species cultural gap that makes defining intelligence/sentience other than our own very difficult.
Seriously take a bow Genkisan!! That post deserves a round of applause!! :respect:

-G

Last edited:
A

arcticsun

first of all. the definition of human.

did you guys know that all creature embryos grow through the previous stage in evolution prior to birth.

so at one time the human embryo has gills like a fish.

if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.. it could be a goose in disguise, but ultimately it is a question of faith.

nothing can be proven with ultimate certainty, even the most established science is still always portrait as a theory.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
gramsci.antonio said:
Anyhow there's been several tries is finding abstraction in animals, but no one suceed. You can teach the animal for sure, but there's no evidence of original behaviour.

Not having the ability to discern exactly what an animal is thinking makes your entire line of reasoning flawed. Just because human's are too dumb to find it does not mean it is not there... To say there is no evidence of Animals having their own will and ideas about what they want and when they want it and how to get it (sometimes in a manner which they have not been taught) demonstrates an incomplete perspective imho.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
maryj315 said:
My only problem with some peoples argument is if you have to be taught then that does not define being human

Ok good point but it is also the last point how can any other argument be made

Animals do not know of their own existence or death give me some proof other wise as far as i know we are the only animal that does and we are also the only species that goes way beyond others trying to avoid it
You prove that animals do not know. You were the one who made the assertion that you completely understand every aspect of what occurs in every different creature's mind, and you know for sure what they do not know...

The burden of proof is on you. If any animal can be taught the concept of mortality, do they become human... Perhaps you should research into Coco's reaction to loosing her kitten which she said she loved... You make too many assumptions about animals which are completely unprovable, and imho have not considered enough evidence to have come to the conclusions you have come to.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
gramsci.antonio said:
And this is the big leap forward that human being met: the neanderthalians had a bigger brain, but the sapiens had more capibility of abstraction, and thus (maybe) we won.

Except that the most recent studies seem to show that sapiens lacked the communication skills necessary to form meaningful social interactions. And while the Neanderthal lacked the imagination to form meaningful society, their brain had an area devoted to communication which was necessary to their lifestyle of tribal hunting. Taking down creatures more well armed than yourself takes a level of coordination with others that required a special type of communication ability. And it was only after neanderthals became integrated into homo sapiens that we developed out ability to communicate our abstract thoughts with any effectiveness... So we didn't necessarily 'win' per se, displacing them, but we benefitted immeasurably as a species from their being integrated into our population... It's based on some very interesting dna research...