What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Food for thought.

P

PermaBuzz

I can get stoned, therefore I am

only humans can get stoned.
animals might just go to sleep instead.

B

bagseed77

i think hes talking about the right for gay people to marry, are they human or just perverts who want cheaper insurance.

F

ForbiddenFruit

coco, the gorilla who knows sign language, has displayed emotions and articulated those emotions through sign language. I remember reading an article quite a few years ago where coco had been given a pet kitten and during the course of time communicated her feelings about the kitten.

Having emotions and ideas and having the ability to communicate them to other members of our own species, or between species in the case of human and gorilla communicating, is in no way uniquely human.

The most distinctive thing... the only thing that separates us from other species... is the portion of our DNA which is unique to homo sapiens sapiens, and the unique talents those differences convey... The abilities themselves do not separate us, but the unique aspects of our physiology which contribute to our abilities does.

killa-bud

Veteran
the only thing unique about humans,is we have abstract thought,the abilty to think of a problem and solve it before actully doing it,i think next week it might snow,therefore today i'll buy a shovel...

it could be argued i suppose that alot of animals have the same abilty,but i'm just using weather as an example...

and permabuzz,animals get stoned all the time,on purpose

F

ForbiddenFruit

Was trying to quote you GratefulHead and posted above by mistake.

Quite amazing about coco and I agree with what you say. What I had to say in my post were just thoughts I was having at that moment, there will always be other angles.

Can we communicate between species as well?. I think so

Ultimately its a complex question that we can't explain with words. And in the end we don't have to prove anything.

Toke some herb and enjoy this mysterious experience.

Peace

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how bout the fact that we are online, in a weed forum, talking nonsense to make ourselves feel better about one's self?

i havent exactly caught my pet turtle chatting away online yet.

how bout all the nice things you own that some human invented in his head and made real?

i feel like im in 3rd grade science discussion class all over again.

"what if c-a-t really spelled dog?"
now thats deep ^^^^ lmao

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
cocktail frank said:
how bout the fact that we are online, in a weed forum, talking nonsense to make ourselves feel better about one's self?

i havent exactly caught my pet turtle chatting away online yet.

how bout all the nice things you own that some human invented in his head and made real?

i feel like im in 3rd grade science discussion class all over again.

"what if c-a-t really spelled dog?"
now thats deep ^^^^ lmao
The science of it is as I said...
The differences in our physiology define our species. Specific abilities like computing do not define humanity or separate us. The physiology that enables it does. Some of you give answers as though we are some higher form of life, but that is completely subjective. Differences in DNA and physiology are not.

No-one ever said prove you are not a turtle, btw...
You cannot prove what you are by providing repeated examples of what you are not.
You cannot prove what you are be touting special talents or abilities.
You can prove what you are by examining what you are made of and how you are put together and what genetic program makes you what you are, and demonstrating that only on theirs of the same species have DNA within certain parameters.

Nothing you said is any sort of proof, even in a third grade discussion...

In short your DNA defines exactly what sort of creature you will be.
Human can be concisely and accurately defined as Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
There is a specific DNA profile which belongs to Homo Sapiens Sapiens, which belongs to no other sort of thing in existence.

Proving you are human is as simple as demonstrating that your DNA falls within those parameters which define homo sapiens sapiens.

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
well your pet turtle isnt stupid enough to start 'thinking' and then going and digging up metals and synthesizing horrible plastics and fucking up the environment jsut so it can sit on its ass and type shit on the internets
indeed the nice things we've invented...and covered the earth in concrete and death

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
In a word...Adaptability-- No other species has the ability to adapt to whatever given circumstance may arise-- We have "adapted" our way to controlling the World.. We can live under water, in Space...whatever we want, we find a way to do it--

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Sheriff Bart said:
well your pet turtle isnt stupid enough to start 'thinking' and then going and digging up metals and synthesizing horrible plastics and fucking up the environment jsut so it can sit on its ass and type shit on the internets
indeed the nice things we've invented...and covered the earth in concrete and death
You always have a nice bright cheery out look in all yer post's Bart. I look forward to yer dark, dark post's in the days ahead. Thanks for sharing! You ever think about working for a suicide hot line? lol... BC

D

DogBoy

Cellardweller has arrived at the same answer we did. We reasoned that the only answer we would be happy with was one which could not be shot down and so arrived at the following.

By your comprehension of the question you prove you are human. No other animal, being or object would be able to comprehend the question therefore it's safe to assume that as only humans could understand the question we are by default humans.

I'm impressed it only took a short time for someone to get it right, took us a few hours of thinking and debate to settle on that. The question now is can anyone come up with definative evidence to debunk our current answer. It's only valid if it cant be shot down.

philmb

kmk420kali said:
In a word...Adaptability-- No other species has the ability to adapt to whatever given circumstance may arise-- We have "adapted" our way to controlling the World.. We can live under water, in Space...whatever we want, we find a way to do it--

I like that answer. Other species 'adapt' as in evolve. But its only humans that instead of evolving to suit the enviroment, we kinda change our envirment to suit us. If the earth, went into some kinda deep freeze, instead of us eventually evolving into big fat, hairy things to keep in the heat. we'd invent some kinda super mirror thing in space to consentrate the suns rays or some shit (maybe a bit far fetched, but you get the idea) Or just have glass, heated tunnels everywear instead of walkin around freezin.. or heated clothes..

A quote i like:
Human everlution through natural selection. Will be replaced (Perhaps detramentally) by human evolution through human intervention.

C

cellardweller

sweet. what did I win???
lmao!!
oh yeah, thats another thing bout us humans, we have a sense of humor..
:bashhead:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
DogBoy said:
Cellardweller has arrived at the same answer we did. We reasoned that the only answer we would be happy with was one which could not be shot down and so arrived at the following.

By your comprehension of the question you prove you are human. No other animal, being or object would be able to comprehend the question therefore it's safe to assume that as only humans could understand the question we are by default humans.

I'm impressed it only took a short time for someone to get it right, took us a few hours of thinking and debate to settle on that. The question now is can anyone come up with definative evidence to debunk our current answer. It's only valid if it cant be shot down.
So you imagine that there is no sentient species anywhere else in the universe.... Not Proof by any means... merely speculation...

Good try though... But, No cigar...

Try testing the DNA... It is actually what defines us as human.... No other creature anywhere in the universe could have human DNA without being human...

Such a simple right answer... and I can shoot down the other "proof" instantly... Until you prove that here is no other sentient life, you're solution is no solution at all....

Human has to either be defined quantitatively, or there can be no real proof.

Also...
PROVE that if you communicated this question to coco the gorilla, she would be unable to understand it and/or respond... her comprehension of sign language and her ability to use it to communicate complex thoughts to others certainly indicate a potential to understand and respond... You have no proof at all, only speculation and assumption...

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
maryj315 said:
Knowing you are going to die is what makes us humen

Mj
Nope... Elephants know when they are going to die, and make a migration to an elephant cemetery to do so...

Also... If no one taught children about their mortality, how long would it take to figure it out.... It's not knowledge you are born with, so are we not human until we are old enough to know and communicate??

What about a human infant... Unable to communicate, unable to reason, failing to qualify as human according to everyone's attempt at proof... except mine...

If your method of proof does not include infant humans then it is no method of proof at all.