What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Food for thought.

D

DogBoy

Head,

I'm not convinced that aliens are a valid way to support your answer as you cant prove they do or dont exist and are therefore not able to add validity to any argument. I was kinda hoping to keep to subjects that are based on fact rather than possiblities.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
DogBoy said:
Head,

I'm not convinced that aliens are a valid way to support your answer as you cant prove they do or dont exist and are therefore not able to add validity to any argument. I was kinda hoping to keep to subjects that are based on fact rather than possiblities.
Ok... forgetting the probability of undiscovered sentient life...

1.Prove that coco could not understand said question.
2.Prove that a human infant could.

A

arcticsun

1: of, relating to, or characteristic of humans2: consisting of humans3 a: having human form or attributes b: susceptible to or representative of the sympathies and frailties of human nature <such an inconsistency is very human — P. E. More>
— hu·man·ness

you don't even have to be born on earth or even actually be made by another human to be defined as human.

so..

you can never answer that question, you can only ask what is human?

therefor we have all the people here telling what is human and what is not. where does your perception of thought end? that is where humanity stops. thus everything you see hear and feel is human, as described in the law of one. your humanity is not defined by you, but your next in kind.

so the question is not how do I prove that I am human, it is how do YOU prove that I am human. which is easy, I think therefor I am!

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
According to the questions I have asked relating to your proof and casting doubt upon it... You cannot be correct, since your original statement stipulated :

"Prove beyond doubt that you are human.", and I doubt a human infant could fill your criteria for proof, and you cannot disprove the ability of Coco the gorilla.

Viola: doubt.

maryj315

Grat3fulh3ad said:
Nope... Elephants know when they are going to die, and make a migration to an elephant cemetery to do so...

Also... If no one taught children about their mortality, how long would it take to figure it out.... It's not knowledge you are born with, so are we not human until we are old enough to know and communicate??

What about a human infant... Unable to communicate, unable to reason, failing to qualify as human according to everyone's attempt at proof... except mine...

If your method of proof does not include infant humans then it is no method of proof at all.

Yes i saw that episode as well they mourn death they do not know they are going to die

If they did they would be praying to some sort of god just like we do to deal with it

Mj

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
besides, dogboy... you never answered my original challenge...
Define human... without an established definition, there can be no proof...

Clarence

FUZZY WUZZY
Veteran
Grat3fulh3ad said:
Define human.
If it is defined as a member of the species homo sapiens, then simple DNA tests would offer proof.

This is the defintition that i found.
human
Belonging to man or mankind; having the qualities or attributes of a man; of or pertaining to man or to the race of man; as, a human voice; human shape; human nature; human sacrifices. "To err is human; to forgive, divine." (Pope)

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
maryj315 said:
Yes i saw that episode as well they mourn death they do not know they are going to die

If they did they would be praying to some sort of god just like we do to deal with it

Mj
Nope, They have to know ahead of time to migrate to the cemetary... As well as the fact you have excluded atheist from humanity... I know I am going to die, and need no imagined comfort to help me cope... I

D

DogBoy

Viola = Musical instrument!

You have simply directed the question back at me. I did not say i had a definative answer, i simply posed the question. It is not down to me to prove the points, i asked a question. I was simply interested in the answers and how people would think about what they answered. If coco the gorilla cant be made to answer the question and the human infant is a moot point then i'm happy to discount them. Makes no difference to me really, i simply wanted to know what people though constituted proof of their humanity.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Clarence said:
This is the defintition that i found.
human
Belonging to man or mankind; having the qualities or attributes of a man; of or pertaining to man or to the race of man; as, a human voice; human shape; human nature; human sacrifices. "To err is human; to forgive, divine." (Pope)
Which as you said includes more than just homo sapiens in the definition...
Which as I said in my first post, if human is not defined as the member of a specific species, then there can be no real proof.

U

ureapwhatusow

im game

first define human

either way you want proof beyond doubt i need precise and verbose boundires defining the term HUMAN or was that hymen, either way ...

ok resind the above since you have already established a rough definition

I am human, using a bioloigical basis because

A) I am am mammel with an opposable thumb

B) Most highly advanced nervous system

C) Capable of biped locomotion

D) Were the only organisms that can commnuicate on the internet

counter that with

A) Smells like bear

B) Eats like dog

C) Sleeps like cat

D) High as a bird

who the fuck really knows

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
DogBoy said:
Viola = Musical instrument!

You have simply directed the question back at me. I did not say i had a definative answer, i simply posed the question. It is not down to me to prove the points, i asked a question. I was simply interested in the answers and how people would think about what they answered. If coco the gorilla cant be made to answer the question and the human infant is a moot point then i'm happy to discount them. Makes no difference to me really, i simply wanted to know what people though constituted proof of their humanity.
Simple, either it is our DNA which defines us as members of a specific species, OR there is no REAL proof at all. Coco can communicate back... She knows sign language... The human infant is not moot at all, merely an example of a human who cannot be proved human by your 'proof", thus calling the validity of your proof into question and providing the doubt which you said the answer must be beyond...

Makes no difference to me either, I'm just giving my perspective on the problem posed, and the solutions proffered....

Sorry for the typo, I meant Voila... It's french and translates as "see there"

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
ureapwhatusow said:
im game

first define human

either way you want proof beyond doubt i need precise and verbose boundires defining the term HUMAN or was that hymen, either way ...
My point exactly... or one of them, anyhow... :wink:

maryj315

Atheist have their own way of accepting death it is no different from religion or sun gods or any other means of humans dealing with it

So you are telling me that a elephant knows from a early stage and through out lts life it knows it is going to die

I do not mean to be disrespectful but that is the first i have heard of any animal that is aware of its existence or of its eventual death

Yet i also have never personally asked a elephant so i could be wrong

Mj

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
You know me, Dogboy... I love nothing better than coming to a well thought out conclusion and then defending it... It's just hard for me not to once I get started sometimes, especially when each response I read compels me to further reply... lol

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
maryj315 said:
Atheist have their own way of accepting death it is no different from religion or sun gods or any other means of humans dealing with it

So you are telling me that a elephant knows from a early stage and through out lts life it knows it is going to die

I do not mean to be disrespectful but that is the first i have heard of any animal that is aware of its existence or of its eventual death

Mj
Are you telling me that human children know about death before they are taught about death?

I don't mean to be disrespectful either, but it is awfully arrogant of people to assume to know what goes on in every other animal's mind... And I've never seen a child born with instinctive knowledge of death and it's ramifications, that is a 100% learned thing. If you were not taught, then you would figure it out on your own at an early age?

You simple have no evidence to back up your proof...
No way to discern exactly what animals think about...
No evidence that knowledge of death and dying is anything but education...
No proof...

Clarence

FUZZY WUZZY
Veteran
maryj315 said:

Mj

But then as with humans. Do you think that new born babies know about death. When was the first time you found out about death? As grateful said earlier. Ask a baby if it knows it is gonna die. Will probably just crap and puke on you. lol

accessndx

&#9835;All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Clarence said:
Yes and i want to see proof of the tooth fairy also.

toothfairy.jpg

Dude, you have NO idea the trouble I went through to take this picture JUST TO SATISFY YOUR IDLE CURIOSITY!!! Plus the league of mythical beings has a price on my head now...​

Latest posts

Latest posts