What's new

First grow, help appreciated please

Cruzin831

Hey all,

Day 2 of 18/6 light in 3 gal smart pot. Previously under 24 hr light in original clone compost.

Curious as to why some of the leaves look the way they do? any ideas

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 11

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
welcome to icmag! :wave:

have you checked ph?
do you feed them? they seem to be lacking some micronutrients. and also N.
what light are you using?

Cruzin831

fed them yesterday( both micronutes had high N levels), they hadn't been fed for a while before that however. Haven't checked pH, will try to track down a pH measure today.

Using a 400w T5

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
if the ph is good then they were lacking the nutes. if ph is off the nutes may be locked.
hope they get better fast, they should look more vivid under that light.

good luck! :wave:

S

Scrappy-doo

They don't look too bad dude. Should recover nicely.

How close is your T-5? I used a badboy t5 for my last grow.

It appears you are using coco in your second pic? In the first pic though it looks like soil in those clear containers. What medium and what kind of nutes?

Cruzin831

using Bio-bizz bio-gro, alg-a-mic, and fish mix.

The light is about 8-12 inches away from the tallest girl.

Originally had the plants in soil mix (like the front 3) that was provided from the medical dispensary. Transferred to coco coir yesterday when I put them into 3 gals.

S

Scrappy-doo

I wouldn't worry about what the cause may have been in the old medium. Now that they're in coco you need to get a ph/ppm pen asap. I use a Hanna 98129 (look on ebay) If you are going to use coco specific nutes that's great. I use House and Garden nutes they are great.

If you're not going to use coco specific nutes then you are going to need some cal/mag. Coco sucks up your cal-mag in your regular nutes and you can easily get deficiencies if you don't supplement with it. I would recommend using silica too that stuff is awesome support for healthy plants, on top of whatever nutes you are using.

You will need to be feeding them with every watering at ph 5.8 solution. I recommend going over to the coco section of the forums and just start reading. Great info there.

Coco is awesome! Much more control over what goes into your plants. Good luck.

Ruby

Have you thought about keeping them under light 24 hours? Cannabis has the ability to grow 24/7 while veging. Just a thought.

Looks like you could have the light closer, try to make your canopy more even. Use books, or turned over pots or something to get them all the same heights. Here is my veg tent. I raised the light to get a better pic, but it is only 6 inches at most above them.

Good luck! The first grow is the scariest and one is the hardest...

Cruzin831

I have heard about both light cycles for veg. Everyone has their pros and cons for each. My roommates want me to 24 hours cycle, but i guess im trying to save a little energy by shutting it down at night. ha

like u said first grow is scary.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
using Bio-bizz bio-gro, alg-a-mic, and fish mix.

The light is about 8-12 inches away from the tallest girl.

Originally had the plants in soil mix (like the front 3) that was provided from the medical dispensary. Transferred to coco coir yesterday when I put them into 3 gals.

My guess - This isn't going to work. I don't think the BioBizz stuff is plant soluble, meaning you need some microbes, particularly bacteria, to make the nutrients available. Coco, on its own, isn't a great home for bacteria. I have not seen anyone grow successfully in straight coco with real (insoluble) organic nutriients. To introduce and make a better home for microbes you are going to need some compost or worm castings added to that coco.

You really have two choices
- Go by some salt-based fertilizers
- Put some castings and compost in that mix and use what you have

With the first option, you will definitely need pH meter and an ppm meter would also be useful. With the second option, you probably don't need the meters - at least I don't.

FWIW - I like the 18-6 veg schedule.

Pine

Cruzin831

My guess - This isn't going to work. I don't think the BioBizz stuff is plant soluble, meaning you need some microbes, particularly bacteria, to make the nutrients available. Coco, on its own, isn't a great home for bacteria. I have not seen anyone grow successfully in straight coco with real (insoluble) organic nutriients. To introduce and make a better home for microbes you are going to need some compost or worm castings added to that coco.

You really have two choices
- Go by some salt-based fertilizers
- Put some castings and compost in that mix and use what you have

With the first option, you will definitely need pH meter and an ppm meter would also be useful. With the second option, you probably don't need the meters - at least I don't.

FWIW - I like the 18-6 veg schedule.

Pine

Thanks for all that Piney, Im going trial by fire to learn, while researching along the way. Had the stuff laying around, might as well use it and get experience.

My roommates have a tea brewing for the next feeding. Will that alone help, or should I by a bag a worm castings and add it to the coco?

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Thanks for all that Piney, Im going trial by fire to learn, while researching along the way. Had the stuff laying around, might as well use it and get experience.

You could always try. I've been wanting to try for awhile, and given unlimited resources I probably would. :)

Another thing - some of organic fertilizer formulations provide macro and micro nutrients in soluble form. I don't think BioBizz is this way, but I could be wrong.

I used to use BioBizz. I think I even may have tried it in straight coco on some plants that were already fucked up (from being in coco and me not knowing what I was doing) and definitely didn't get any better.

My roommates have a tea brewing for the next feeding. Will that alone help, or should I by a bag a worm castings and add it to the coco?

I don't think the tea will help that much.

An intermediate between mixing in the castings or compost is to generously top dress your pots with castings/compost and mulch on top of that. This way you can grow roots all the way up to the castings (the mulch) where there is a lot of microbial activity. Again, I have no idea if this would work, this top dressing idea is just something I've been thinking of.

I treat coco-castings (added minerals) just like soil.

Pine

Cruzin831

You could always try. I've been wanting to try for awhile, and given unlimited resources I probably would. :)

Another thing - some of organic fertilizer formulations provide macro and micro nutrients in soluble form. I don't think BioBizz is this way, but I could be wrong.

I used to use BioBizz. I think I even may have tried it in straight coco on some plants that were already fucked up (from being in coco and me not knowing what I was doing) and definitely didn't get any better.

I don't think the tea will help that much.

An intermediate between mixing in the castings or compost is to generously top dress your pots with castings/compost and mulch on top of that. This way you can grow roots all the way up to the castings (the mulch) where there is a lot of microbial activity. Again, I have no idea if this would work, this top dressing idea is just something I've been thinking of.

I treat coco-castings (added minerals) just like soil.

Pine

Piney what is your feeling on Fox Farm Fert. Buddy of mine suggested it, wasn't sure if it would be a good mix with the coco.
Or do you have a recomendation for fert. Im trying to save as much money as possible, seeing how this is my first attempt at medicine cultivation

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Piney what is your feeling on Fox Farm Fert. Buddy of mine suggested it, wasn't sure if it would be a good mix with the coco.
Or do you have a recomendation for fert. Im trying to save as much money as possible, seeing how this is my first attempt at medicine cultivation

I grow organically with dry fertilizers (plant meals and bat shit), so I don't use the sort of fertilizers that you are asking about. This said, if it were me I would look into KISS with Maxibloom. Maxibloom is all purpose, dry fertilizer for hydroponic applications, and is very inexpensive. Jack's Classic would be another option.

The K.I.S.S. Method - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191645

Pine

Cruzin831

I wouldn't worry about what the cause may have been in the old medium. Now that they're in coco you need to get a ph/ppm pen asap. I use a Hanna 98129 (look on ebay) If you are going to use coco specific nutes that's great. I use House and Garden nutes they are great.

If you're not going to use coco specific nutes then you are going to need some cal/mag. Coco sucks up your cal-mag in your regular nutes and you can easily get deficiencies if you don't supplement with it. I would recommend using silica too that stuff is awesome support for healthy plants, on top of whatever nutes you are using.

You will need to be feeding them with every watering at ph 5.8 solution. I recommend going over to the coco section of the forums and just start reading. Great info there.

Coco is awesome! Much more control over what goes into your plants. Good luck.

Scrappy I'm coming back to your House and Garden suggestion. Did some research and seems like a nice cost-effective way to provide the girls their food. Just gonna start with the A&B and maybe pick up some of the others along the way.
Purchased Panda Film and a zipper system today, pictures to come when their is actually a nice light tight wall set-up.

Cruzin831

Week 2

Week 2

Hey guys,

here are the end of week 2 pics. Trying to figure out the correct measurements for feeding since switching to HG coco A&B, with the addition of calmag, GW myco, and silica.
Girls went through a bit of a hellish couple days but the new growth is showing good signs. Lets hope I didn't hurt them with the feeding I gave them today. fingers crossed.

As always, any input on how to improve the girls would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9
S

Scrappy-doo

Did you get a ph/ppm meter? You need one. I'd be feeding them with around 600-700 ppm's (all your nutes combined) at ph 5.8 at this point. Mine get fed with every watering. Don't let the coco dry out it needs to be wet constantly. I would recommend putting drip trays underneath and water till you get a little runoff. If you see any coco turning light in color then you need to water them.

Cruzin831

Did you get a ph/ppm meter? You need one. I'd be feeding them with around 600-700 ppm's (all your nutes combined) at ph 5.8 at this point. Mine get fed with every watering. Don't let the coco dry out it needs to be wet constantly. I would recommend putting drip trays underneath and water till you get a little runoff. If you see any coco turning light in color then you need to water them.

Believe it or not, i am using a ph kit to test the H20 before feeding. If i get some more funds I will update to an actual meter, but for now its gonna have to get me by. I have been watering every two days with 2L of feed for 3 3gal pots. Do you think that is enough water for them or should each 3gal pot get a full L of water?

S

Scrappy-doo

You water as much as they need to get approx 10% runoff into your drip tray. Just make sure that coco is wet, or else you can get salt build-up which can lock out nutrients your plant needs.

PH strips are fine. Just keep it between 5.8 and 6.1 and you should be ok.

I'm assuming you don't have a ppm meter. As far as nutes goes, for now a capfull of each of what you're using per gallon of water should keep you in the safe range for ppm's.

Cruzin831

You water as much as they need to get approx 10% runoff into your drip tray. Just make sure that coco is wet, or else you can get salt build-up which can lock out nutrients your plant needs.

PH strips are fine. Just keep it between 5.8 and 6.1 and you should be ok.

I'm assuming you don't have a ppm meter. As far as nutes goes, for now a capfull of each of what you're using per gallon of water should keep you in the safe range for ppm's.

Would it be safe to introduce drip clean for salt build up issues? I have an unopened bottle and was going to return it. Can drip clean hurt the plants if there is no salt build-up?