What's new

First grow, help appreciated please

S

Scrappy-doo

Looking lush and healthy! You're gonna get one hell of a yield starting with plants that size if you set it up proper. What type of flowering setup are you planning?

Cruzin831

I probably will just build a screen or something to hold the ladies up, I haven't put a lot of thought into that yet haha. Any ideas?

I need to get another set of pvc pipe for the intake, Im going an inch smaller than the exhaust so it hopefully creates negative pressure and I wont need an intake fan, but we will see

S

Scrappy-doo

My suggestions would depend on what kind of light you are using. I run a vert scrog with a 600 hps. Easy and great yield.

If you want passive air intake you need approximately 2 times the size of the powered exhaust to properly create negative pressure and avoid overworking your fan, and odor problems.

So if your exhaust fan outtake is 6 inches, you will need 2 additional holes that are 6 inches for an ideal passive air intake.

You can read up on ventilation and passive air intake here.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112862

Cruzin831

So currently I am using a T5 with 48'' 6500k watts bulbs. I was thinking of replacing four of them with 3000k watt bloom bulbs when I switch over to flowering. Do you think that is a sufficient amount of light to flower properly?
If not I may try to borrow a friends 250-400watt MH w/reflector. Only concern with doing that is the magnetic ballast will make a ton of noise. Thoughts?

S

Scrappy-doo

Scrog is the way to go with that kind of lighting. The t5 isn't powerful enough to penetrate more than 4-6 inches into the canopy. Any foliage lower than that is going to be undeveloped. You're gonna have to trim your girls up and put them on a screen.

Here is a grow I did with T5 lights.

Notice the first pic. I stripped the entire bottom of the plant to to make the canopy only 4 or 5 inches thick.

This is how to make the most out of a T5. I got 1 GPW with that setup.

Cruzin831

Thanks for the pics and an explanation. I have been told good and bad about trimming up the bottom of the plant, but as you mentioned the T5 light isn't strong enough to penetrate to the whole plant like a MH or HPS light would. Ill give them a light trimming before next feeding and then manicure it again before I switch over to flower later this week.

I am very nervous about the switch over, everything has been pretty easy and basic thus far, I am told now the real fun begins.
Do you spray your ladies with any foiler prior to flower?

Cruzin831

Thanks for the pics and an explanation. I have been told good and bad about trimming up the bottom of the plant, but as you mentioned the T5 light isn't strong enough to penetrate to the whole plant like a MH or HPS light would. Ill give them a light trimming before next feeding and then manicure it again before I switch over to flower later this week.

I am very nervous about the switch over, everything has been pretty easy and basic thus far, I am told now the real fun begins.
Do you spray your ladies with any foiler prior to flower?

Cruzin831

Switching over to 12/12 today. Room is all sealed up and snuck in a ghetto rigged intake made out of soda boxes (you can see the fan from the outside blowing into it). Im proud to say I kept the cost under $200, but lets see if my cheapness fucks me over haha.
Cheers to some lovely ladies and big buds in the near future!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 4
S

Scrappy-doo

No I don't foliar spray at all.

If you are not planning to scrog, I would suggest trying whatever way you are able to make the canopy as even as possible. The space about 6 inches from the light is going to be ideal. Think of that space as prime real estate for your girls, You want as much of them there as possible.

Lower down you are gonna get a lot of popcorn and undeveloped buds that are more trouble to trim than they are worth.

As your plant stretches throughout the first 3 weeks of flower, you are going to need to train your plants by bending, scrogging, or tying them so they stay in the sweet spot.

Good luck bro.

Cruzin831

Alright here we go. Day 65 and 1 week into flower. Super Sour OG has really loved the new 3000k red bulbs I have added while the Dream Queen and Harlequin are growing strongly as usual.

Attachments

• DSC00401.jpg
    DSC00401.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 4

Cruzin831

Hey Scrappy is positive pressure a huge deal?? I have only heard its a problem if you are trying to hide the smell, which in my case I am not too concerned..

Cruzin831

Ughhhh rainy weather is causing a raise in humidity. Not a good thing to be happening when I started flower cycle a week ago. Any cheap ways to lower the humidity?

S

Scrappy-doo

Humidity isn't really a problem till late flower. You should be fine for the next month or more. But once you get to that point, adding another fan for more air flow helps. You can get a used dehumidifier for pretty cheap. Or an air conditioner will do if you have one.

Cruzin831

Here are the ladies. did some trimming of the inner leaves to open up some more light into the canopy. Day 12 of flower pics below.

Attachments

• DSC00405.jpg
    DSC00405.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00402.jpg
    DSC00402.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 4

Jbonez

Veteran
subscribed, and +rep on the manicure! looking good... First grow you say??? coulda fooled me!

Cruzin831

subscribed, and +rep on the manicure! looking good... First grow you say??? coulda fooled me!

Thanks for the positive vibes my friend. Hoping to have some wonderful herbs to puff on in about a month or so.

Its crazy how what I thought was a big space for 3 pots, is turning out to not be big enough.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I grow with T5s and only T5s. I grow in a mix of coco fine and chunky, ewc, kelp meal, blood meal, bat guano, vermiculite and perlite, and a full load of beneficial microbes and fungi. The only nutes I ever use is Bio Thrive vegan bloom food 4-2-2.
Now not saying plain coco is bad, but I don't worry about, or even check my ph more than once.
Always bottom water, never pour water on the medium, I don't like gnats.
My light are only 4 to 6 inches off the plants, I have a clip fan that blows across the plants. Heres some pics, Oh yeah I grow with a scrog only as it increases your output when using T5s. I love my T5sI also pump 3psi of air into the root zone, roots gotta breathe.
Strains Frosted Flake on the left LSD on the right.

:smoweed:

Attachments

• DSCN6287.JPG
    DSCN6287.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN6362.JPG
    DSCN6362.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN6382.JPG
    DSCN6382.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN6329.JPG