What's new

First closed loop system--Which should I get?

Grow4Flow

You are basically all set. The mentioned are inexpensive minus the pump. Recovery is a tough decision. Fundamental though. Because of legal and the whole plausible deniablilty issues just in case someone got hurt. I can only recommend the Haskel at the moment. I have safely used several others though. Just can tell you that you can.
Keep us posted please.

WW,
Glad to see you on here and look forward to seeing the next creation from WolfWurx. In regards to recovery pumps, have you had the chance to play with the Promax RG6000, what did you think of the at one?

Also, which Haskel model are you recommending for the smaller extraction units?

Thanks.

Lono

Thanks for the well wishes. Don't know where you are but maybe we will bump into each other one day. In which case I will buy you some food if wanted. Peace.

Let me know if you're ever in northern Colorado man, mi casa su casa :)

Thanks for the advice on recovery pumps as well! Will definitely check out that Haskel.

Gray Wolf, I would like to take a trip out there over the summer to take a class if it's alright with you. I also may have to consider having some material processed until I can get my system up and running. Thanks again for the recommendations.

As far as the viton goes, won't we be well below -30c using dry ice? About how cold is the butane when it hits the system?

And isn't PTFE only rated to -45c? What makes these materials safe to use with temps below -40? I am quite confused by this.

Lono

CaliGabe, if you see this, I saw your message. Definitely interested, will PM asap.

Thanks brother:)

ptfe is usually safe to around -100f. ptfe blends to -250f or more.

how cold it is depends on if it was kept in dry ice or a freezer.

if you are looking to run dry ice, then you need ptfe gaskets. They are pretty reasonably priced in the smaller sizes, but get quite spendy in screened or larger sizes.

Lono

ptfe is usually safe to around -100f. ptfe blends to -250f or more.

how cold it is depends on if it was kept in dry ice or a freezer.

if you are looking to run dry ice, then you need ptfe gaskets. They are pretty reasonably priced in the smaller sizes, but get quite spendy in screened or larger sizes.
Thanks RB,

I do plan on chilling my butane in dry ice, as well as my collection pot. So PTFE it is :)

you don't need to chill your collection pot in dry ice, just your packed column and butane. If you are looking to further dewax via buchner, then yes, you would want to do so after you've reclaimed a good portion of your butane.

I've heard of people doing bottom heat to reclaim quicker and then they put their bottom spool in dry ice to chill it again (make it stable) and pour through a buchner. Obviously you have to know how much butane you've reclaimed if you can't see what is in your bottom spool

Many different ways to skin a cat.

Lono

you don't need to chill your collection pot in dry ice, just your packed column and butane. If you are looking to further dewax via buchner, then yes, you would want to do so after you've reclaimed a good portion of your butane.

I've heard of people doing bottom heat to reclaim quicker and then they put their bottom spool in dry ice to chill it again (make it stable) and pour through a buchner. Obviously you have to know how much butane you've reclaimed if you can't see what is in your bottom spool

Many different ways to skin a cat.

Hehe, it was actually YOU who gave me the idea to rechill my collection pot post-recovery, and then pour through the buchner. I got the fancy commercial soup pot to do a low-heat recovery. I planned on having the recovery tank on a scale, recording the starting weight, and then recovering until I get 80%(just a random number) of the weight back in the recovery tank. Is that a proper method?

I feel like I may have asked you before, but have you or Gray Wolf done any experimenting on freezing the butane and column vs just freezing the butane? It seems to me that just freezing the butane would suffice, especially if you're using fresh frozen material(which I plan on doing).

That soup pot is really a pain to work with even when using a thermostat in it.

I can't say that we have experimented. How you approach things will depend on the quality of your starting material. Sounds like you are looking to do a live resin extraction?

Thanks Grow4Flow, Haven't used a 6000 but have 5400. Saying it was slow would be understated. A buddy of mine in the AC business has both 6000 and G5 units. Tells me the G5 is still faster and hold up better than Promax. When his finally make it to the bone yard. He will be replacing them with G5's. Even though they are more expensive.

I apologize, I can't for the life of me put my finger on my Haskel cut sheet at the moment. Doubtful anyone we be able to justify them for a small extraction system though.
Peace WW

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hehe, it was actually YOU who gave me the idea to rechill my collection pot post-recovery, and then pour through the buchner. I got the fancy commercial soup pot to do a low-heat recovery. I planned on having the recovery tank on a scale, recording the starting weight, and then recovering until I get 80%(just a random number) of the weight back in the recovery tank. Is that a proper method?

I feel like I may have asked you before, but have you or Gray Wolf done any experimenting on freezing the butane and column vs just freezing the butane? It seems to me that just freezing the butane would suffice, especially if you're using fresh frozen material(which I plan on doing).

We've done both. You have to be careful in humid conditions, not to form ice over the trichomes.

You can cap the columns and pull a vacuum on them before freezing, to prevent that.

We freeze the material for a butane thermos soak, but normally don't bother with a packed column.

Live resin is a very touchy extraction process and the yield really doesn't justify doing it, but people still do.

Rather than the soup pot, I'd use a larger pot. More water equals less fluctuations in temp. You can use an aquarium heater or something similar to maintain a stable temp. We use something like this currently with an accurate digital hvac thermostat keeping its probe in the water.

We use the promax 6000 to transfer butane from one tank to another as the g5 just doesn't handle liquids well at all.

Grow4Flow

Thanks Grow4Flow, Haven't used a 6000 but have 5400. Saying it was slow would be understated. A buddy of mine in the AC business has both 6000 and G5 units. Tells me the G5 is still faster and hold up better than Promax. When his finally make it to the bone yard. He will be replacing them with G5's. Even though they are more expensive.

I apologize, I can't for the life of me put my finger on my Haskel cut sheet at the moment. Doubtful anyone we be able to justify them for a small extraction system though.
Peace WW

Thanks WW,
there doesn't seem to be anything that stacks up against the G5.

Yep, just pressure testing currently, which isn't a quick process.

Yellow Jacket is coming out with a recovery pump that is supposedly quicker than the G5, but I haven't seen any numbers

Honestly, just not familiar with it. My understanding is that the g5 is just a rip-off of it. I used it for the first time today to transfer butane and it was fairly quiet. If you transfer butane with the g5, you need to use a cold trap so that you don't introduce liquid into it. Yellow Jacket has a new pump out that is suppose to go head to head with the G5.

I think if you are using bottom heat, what you use might be less of an issue.

Ideally, we'd find a way to filter the exhaust side and use a recovery pump that has oil in the crankcase. Then all our issues with reliability would be moot.

Lono

Hey guys, finally about to order my recovery pump and hoses! Been so tired from working in the garden that the last thing I've wanted to do is online shop.

Question regarding the pump...

I'm planning on getting a mini-split for my grow room. I would be having a friend do the installation, because I know my limits. My question is, would it be okay for him to use my recovery pump? Not sure if there would be any contamination issues or not.

Mini splits come charged for "x" amount of line set. All your buddy needs to do is pull a vacuum with a vac pump if your line set is within the usually 50' limit. No need for a recovery pump unless you have an extra long line set. Just use a vac pump then change the oil.

Latest posts

Latest posts