What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i mostly dont water the last week to dry out the plants, not so much to try and boost resin content
/i will also leave the indoor ones in the dark the last few days too
not really into stressing them and the screw thing sounds pretty crazy
also consider that i live near the coast so 50-60%rh is a dry day for me
/right now the house is at 67%rh
i can leave plants hangin in the closet for over a week and still bend stems most of the year

ive never had any problems with a small bit of water remaining in teh catch try after watering
as long as it is sucked back up or evaporates quickly i dont think it would do any harm
/root rot or over sautrated medium

i do agree that a slow cure is the best and i try and stretch it out as long as i can
thats interesting about the cigar folks ( the only other group as fanatical about their smoke as us pot heads)
but i think they also smoke their stuff wetter than your typical bud
my cigar smoking friend keeps his in a special box with a wet sponge

love the plants rhode'!!
they haev this nice chunky look that just says dank to me!
and wood and amber?!
lets bottle that up and i would wear that smell all day long!

im wiht you guys as far as letting anyone else take care of the girls
if i could not automate it i dont leave them for longer than a week
even then i worry

not too sure what the plan is for the weekend yet, fiddy
mrs chicky and i have the house to ourself this sat so you can imagine we gone drank' and get our smoke on
i also want her to watch this move i saw at my friends house called "run all night"
im taking tomorrow off so my weekend has already begun!

Rodehazrd

One critical difference too pop
We're smoking flowers they do leaves. I think the leaf can transport nutes in or out the flower I'm not so sure it can export. That could be a question for slownickle lounge guys they got the big guns on other issues
Rodehazrd

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
that is a good point rhode
im not sure if the flower stores its own nutrients
flowers are specialized parts that serve one function to the plant
making seeds
this is very energy intensive and once the resources are invested i dont see them going anywhere
but if you dig up any new infromation please cross post here (maybe linking back to the other thread)

Floridian

Veteran
Hey pr I just noticed you were a homeslice here at one point,I'm in Tampa where were you at?I love it down here,just about everything about it really.I wasn't really thinking about the "wet feet' concept of a pot in standing water,mostly I was considering water being the perfect medium to get critters going.If you grew down here you know about the myriad of little fucks that can mess up a persons grow.I used to battle the southern red spidermite pretty often my first couple years at it until I started taking preemptive measures and found the perfect killing machine for them

Fiddynut

I alwys water until runoff,nothing that has to do with ferts to me it has to do with making sure all of the medium gets good and saturated,you know no dry spots.As for stressing the plant to produce more resin IMO that's old hippie lore.Like driving a screw into the main stalk will somehow stress her out and produce more trichs,poppy cock.If someone could explain the mechanics of it in a sensible way,I'd like to hear it.Nothing produces more trichs than a happy plant that's well cared for until the very end.I understand that they think trichs may be a reaction for protection against some environmental factors,but stressing it out deliberately?Not me I couldn't bear to

Floridian said:
I'm not sure what you mean by lose anything,but after saturating the soil I wouldn't let the pot sit in a tray that has runoff in it.If its dry the next day it must be from evaporation unless you aren't saturating the medium at the bottom part of the pot.You should be able to put more in than just a cup or two at a time,are you using any perlite?Everyone has there own way of watering I guess.I water at the outerside of the medium going slowly in a counter-clockwise direction and work slowly towards the middle.My 5 gal container with a large flowering plant takes a little more than a gallon.I do 4 plants at a time using 1 gal per 4 plants.Then I do the fifth gallon and normally get a good bit of runoff.The fifth gallon is concentrated mostly in the middle of the pot because at this point I've used quite a bit at the edges slowly working in.I call the last gallon my "stalk blast" because I concentrate it at the stalk and I'm goofy so I name shit lol

Good morning Floridian.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Even saturation is very important and a great reason to water to run off.
I learned early on that you have to water slowly to get the soil evenly wet.
The method I use is to give about 1/4 of the total amount of water at a time. With my 14" pots I give them 4 cups of water at a time. I give to one plant then the next and so on then back to the first and repeat until I'm out of water. It takes me 1/2 hour or so to water 3-4 plants and gives plenty of time for the soil to suck up the water. They have been taking about 14 cups before I start getting any runoff.
I guess it's a little silly to think that anything you do to your plants the last few days before harvest would have a lot of effect on the buds. Best to treat your plants well for the whole grow and let them show their potential.
We love happy plants and they love us.

Fiddynut

Mine have to be watered slow it all runs off quick so I give all a cup full or two and then repeat I continue till it runs out filling the tray. Next day it's all sucked back up. If not I drain the saucer. So do I loose anything going In. The tray?
Rodehazrd
Good morning Rodehazrd.
I'm with you on watering slowly. I give 4 cups to one then the next and so on and then back to the first and so on to a total of 14-16 cups each. I've kind of been trying to minimize runoff so I don't have to let them drain as much and since I take them out of the tent to water I want to get them back under the lights as soon as possible.
It sounds like your runoff is minimal and you defiantly aren't loosing anything.

Fiddynut

i mostly dont water the last week to dry out the plants, not so much to try and boost resin content
/i will also leave the indoor ones in the dark the last few days too
not really into stressing them and the screw thing sounds pretty crazy
also consider that i live near the coast so 50-60%rh is a dry day for me
/right now the house is at 67%rh
i can leave plants hangin in the closet for over a week and still bend stems most of the year

ive never had any problems with a small bit of water remaining in teh catch try after watering
as long as it is sucked back up or evaporates quickly i dont think it would do any harm
/root rot or over sautrated medium

i do agree that a slow cure is the best and i try and stretch it out as long as i can
thats interesting about the cigar folks ( the only other group as fanatical about their smoke as us pot heads)
but i think they also smoke their stuff wetter than your typical bud
my cigar smoking friend keeps his in a special box with a wet sponge

love the plants rhode'!!
they haev this nice chunky look that just says dank to me!
and wood and amber?!
lets bottle that up and i would wear that smell all day long!

im wiht you guys as far as letting anyone else take care of the girls
if i could not automate it i dont leave them for longer than a week
even then i worry

not too sure what the plan is for the weekend yet, fiddy
mrs chicky and i have the house to ourself this sat so you can imagine we gone drank' and get our smoke on
i also want her to watch this move i saw at my friends house called "run all night"
im taking tomorrow off so my weekend has already begun!
Good morning pop_rocks.
I think once the humidity of summer returns I'm going to try to let the plants dry like you do. I'll be struggling to keep RH below 55% and don't want any mold issues.
I think you guys on the coast can get away with higher humidity because of the mold in the air around here. Not sure why I had the little bit of bud rot last summer on the first grow. I know those plants went a few extra weeks and that was the worst time of the year for humidity.
I'm trying to get a nice slow dry and cure but it's going to take a few runs to really get a good feel for the process. I usually jump the gun and cut the buds off too wet and have to let them finish drying on plates. Sometimes I have to take them out of the jars a few times to get them right. More experience should streamline that process.
Today is suppose to be the last rainy day for at least a couple. We have been in the low to mid 40's and wet most of the week and it's getting depressing. Warmer temps and some sun this weekend should be nice.
Still want to get out on the mountain bike a couple times this weekend and really looking forward to it. Disc golf courses will be too soggy for a couple weeks so no frlof for me. Opening day on Monday should be fun and there will be plenty of drinking and puffing.

Fiddynut

One critical difference too pop
We're smoking flowers they do leaves. I think the leaf can transport nutes in or out the flower I'm not so sure it can export. That could be a question for slownickle lounge guys they got the big guns on other issues
Rodehazrd

pop_rocks said:
that is a good point rhode
im not sure if the flower stores its own nutrients
flowers are specialized parts that serve one function to the plant
making seeds
this is very energy intensive and once the resources are invested i dont see them going anywhere
but if you dig up any new infromation please cross post here (maybe linking back to the other thread)

Great thoughts guys.
You are right it doesn't make sense that the plant would ever take energy from the flower since it lives to make flowers. This is great food for thought.

Fiddynut

Hey pr I just noticed you were a homeslice here at one point,I'm in Tampa where were you at?I love it down here,just about everything about it really.I wasn't really thinking about the "wet feet' concept of a tray in standing water,mostly I was considering water being the perfect medium to get critters going.If you grew down here you know about the myriad of little fucks that can mess up a persons grow.I used to battle the southern red spidermite pretty often my first couple years at it until I started taking preemptive measures and found the perfect killing machine for them
Greetings Floridian.
I've not lived down there but my grandparents had a condo on siesta key in the 80's and we use to go down when I was a kid. I loved getting some sun and warm weather in the early spring when it was still cold and crappy around here. We use to go to bush gardens and hang out on the beach. Lots of good food and entertainment.
I went to sanibel island a couple years ago and had a great time. I rented a cabin right on the beach and would just sit there at night and smoke and listen to the waves role in. Water has a very calming effect on me and I've always loved it.

Rodehazrd

Hey guys
You have me thinking I need more perlite or maybe water sooner my mix leaves a crack all around the edge when it's dry and it's hydrophobic at first. 3 gal pots take 3 quarts .
Rodehazrd

Rodehazrd

Florida
I loved Fort Desoto good camping there.
Pasa grille St Pete Dali museum. We like Apalachicola too St Jo peninsula you can camp on the beach. I carry a 13' octagonal base camp tent with king size Fox airbed 7'ceiling. and it's air conditioned for night sweats. I hang a 15x20 fly, roll out the rug were home. The full rain fly is made for cold weather but also works well to contain our late night aromas. I envy your latitude.
Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

Hey guys
You have me thinking I need more perlite or maybe water sooner my mix leaves a crack all around the edge when it's dry and it's hydrophobic at first. 3 gal pots take 3 quarts .
Rodehazrd
Good morning Rodehazrd.
My soil pulls back from the sides of my pots as it drys as well. Not a big gap but just a little like a pencil leads worth. It's also dry on top and I go extra slow when I put the first bit of water in. i make sure to really do a good job of evenly distributing that first dose to hydrate that top layer.

I add a few handfuls of perlite to each pot of ocean forest soil. My pots take maybe a little less water than yours gallon for gallon. I put about 4 quarts into whit I think are about 5 gallon pots but that is with very little runoff.

I've been thinking about and experimenting with my watering the last couple weeks. I had begun to wonder if I was letting them dry too much. I was letting my pots get really light but never saw any drooping from the plants. The last couple times I watered when they just had a little weight to them. I haven't seen a difference so I let them get nice and dry again before watering last night. I think I'm doing it right but I always seem to second guess myself if I think too much on something.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
morning fellas!

yeah we use to live on the pan handle and i spent a lot of good years in the ganisville area as well
swampy as f^ck and everything there wants to eat you
my family still has property in pensacola

i love fla because i spent some of my younger years there too
/catching crawdaddies, eating hominy and running around half nekid'
i guess in some ways it will always feel like home, even tho i havent been back in years

so are you a brewers fan fiddy?
i used to love baseball but havent really been following the sport in years
i get back into things near the playoffs
how often do you go to the city to see games?
i love having mondays off
when everyone else is winding down your weekend will be going strong!
hope you have a great time at the park,man!

i dont usually let my containers dry out that much but ive seen the gap you are talking about
the soil acts like a sponge and will expand or contract depending on how saturated it is

that is one sweet camping set up you have there rhode!
do you have a favorite spot you like to go to?
one think that blows people out west away is when i tell them you can drive your car on the beach down there
i would be great to roll up to a nice spot and set up camp on the beach

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Greetings friends.
The LW's all got a feeding within the last few hours and are looking good. They are getting nice and frosty already. This morning I looked back at the blackwater and Larry grows and was comparing pics from the end of week 4 and these Lemon Wookies are way more frosty. They really have a sour lemon scent to them as well.
My bro was over and we used his phone to get a couple shots of them. His phone has a way better camera than mine. I wish I could post them in full definition because the sparkle is really amazing on them.
Here are 2 shots he took.

Here are a couple with my phone.

Looking good and smelling even better. Not much to say in this update. The girls have been happy for the whole flowering cycle so far. Today is day 28 of bloom.

In other news the sun has finally made an appearance today after a rainy week. It's been so wet I had to kick on my dehuey this week and it's in the 40's outside. Spring is overdue.

I hope everyone had a good week and your weekends are starting off well. I hope you are all well and your plants are happy...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

morning fellas!

yeah we use to live on the pan handle and i spent a lot of good years in the ganisville area as well
swampy as f^ck and everything there wants to eat you
my family still has property in pensacola

i love fla because i spent some of my younger years there too
/catching crawdaddies, eating hominy and running around half nekid'
i guess in some ways it will always feel like home, even tho i havent been back in years

so are you a brewers fan fiddy?
i used to love baseball but havent really been following the sport in years
i get back into things near the playoffs
how often do you go to the city to see games?
i love having mondays off
when everyone else is winding down your weekend will be going strong!
hope you have a great time at the park,man!

i dont usually let my containers dry out that much but ive seen the gap you are talking about
the soil acts like a sponge and will expand or contract depending on how saturated it is

that is one sweet camping set up you have there rhode!
do you have a favorite spot you like to go to?
one think that blows people out west away is when i tell them you can drive your car on the beach down there
i would be great to roll up to a nice spot and set up camp on the beach
Good morning pop_rocks.
Yep I'm a Brewers fan. I don't follow as closely as I use to either. There were years where I never missed a play or pitch the whole season. It's almost like a part time job following baseball that close. I love listening to the game while doing chores or relaxing. Growing up listening to Bob Uecker has been a special experience. His stories and jokes are so classic. I think baseball is a great game for stoners.

I usually go to a few games a year. Ball park is only a 1/2 hour drive and I love tailgating. Always good time to be had at Miller park. Brewers traided away everyone a couple years ago and have a ton of young talent so they should be fun to watch for a few years.

Yep having Monday's off is great. Gives me a chance to go places that would be crowded on the weekend and practically have them to myself. And if I need to go to the bank or something I can do it without having to rush in before or after work.

As far as letting the container dry out do you think I could be stressing them even if they don't show any drooping? I worry about that but I also worry about root rot from not letting them dry and get oxygen. I think I'm doing it right but second guessing myself a little.

Hell yes Rodehazrd sounds like he has a pro camping set up. I really miss camping. Now that I have plants to care for I need to figure a way to get away even for a couple weekend camping trips. Wisconsin is a beautiful place to camp in the summer and I need to start doing some again.

Floridian

Veteran
Wisccansan lol,I just had a few relatives visiting from there.I spent a couple months for a couple summers when I was a kid.Loved to catch those mean looking northern pike with a red and white daredevil,hated the damn deerflies that used to get stuck in your hair though.My biggest memory was a dead deer on the side of the road every mile or so.My grandpa had a farm in a small town called Pittsville.Good fishing memories about the yellow river.

Fiddynut

Wisccansan lol,I just had a few relatives visiting from there.I spent a couple months for a couple summers when I was a kid.Loved to catch those mean looking northern pike with a red and white daredevil,hated the damn deerflies that used to get stuck in your hair though.My biggest memory was a dead deer on the side of the road every mile or so.My grandpa had a farm in a small town called Pittsville.Good fishing memories about the yellow river.
Good morning Floridian.
Yep I'm Wisconsin born and raised. Lots of great fishing northern, musky, walleye, perch and bluegill. We have 20,000 lakes and rivers plus Lake Michigan and superior for big water trout and salmon fishing. And ice fishing during the winter too.
Yes the deer and horse flys are bad sometimes, mosquitos too. But they are only around part of the year and die off in fall. It's a long winter but a beautiful spring-summer-fall. If I had my way I'd spend January and February down in your neck of the woods.
Wisconsin is full of little farm towns. As soon as you get out of Milwaukee or Madison it's all little towns. Very chill communities. Lots of good food and of course beer, lots of beer.
I'd bet your relatives were happy to get out of here and enjoy some nice Florida sun and warmth this time of year.
Yes we have so many deer here it's a hunters paradise. As a biker I have to be very attentive for deer. They seem to jump in front of you from who knows whare, maybe they can fly and come from the sky. I've been really lucky many times. Everyone who drives in the country here has had a car totaled by deer at some point. Those bastards are everywhere.

Latest posts

Latest posts